Let's See Your ARBORS and TRELLISES! Part 2

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

This is the continuation of a perfectly wonderful thread JasperDale created. If you haven't seen Part 1, you definitely should go there when you have some time to dream:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/947352/

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

I bought a whole bunch of trellises today at good old HD. They were cheap. That's why I bought a whole bunch. They are not works of art, but the clems cover them so fast, I can't rationalize spending much money on them as a supporting structure.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Thanks, Zu !

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

No prob, JD.

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

When adding those pics in the other thread about the garden tours I did, I came across this arbor.
(I get the first picture in!!)

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

And a great picture it is! Pretty arbor, nice petunias, and a fabulous raised bed.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Great First pic.Sue.

What a nice sight for sore winter eyes Sue.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful, we are building a new trellis over part of the driveway this spring for my wisteria. I was outside yesterday as the weather is just beautiful and I was doing some work and looking around at exactly where I want the post to go. Man this thing is going to be huge.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

your killing me.
I want an arbor real bad,but no place for it here,I'll just enjoy yours.

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

We built an arbor last summer(picture is from last summer). We've since straightened out the gate which is abit lopsided in the pic!

Thumbnail by saanansandy

Great arbor!
Sometimes I drive in neighborhoods with lovely arbors in the front of a house and nothing growing on it, or even near it, such a waste!

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

On the left side, we have a Jackmanii clematis climbing up and on the right side, New Dawn climbing rose.
I made the template to cut out for the top and we used trellis bought from HD for the sides and top. It made for a nice afternoon project. I'd like to design another one this summer for the back walkway. There's one already there but it's abit flimsy(purchased it at a discount store about 4 years ago).

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I kinda like it with the gate being a little "off " LOL!

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

It definitely gives it that homemade look! lol!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

nothing wrong with that at all !

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm looking at this instead of an arbor or trellis.
One or the other but not both.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Those "whatever they are" are extremely cool ! Where did you get them? And what are they made of ?

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Ooooh, I like the one on the right especially.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thay are clay sculptures.
The tallest is 40" the shorter one is 30"
Tall one in the Daylily garden and the short one on the deck amongst the potted coleus containers

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Very unique, Jo Ann.

saanansandy, looks like you've got plenty of room to plant behind the trellis, and a great blank slate to work with.

Love that first picture, Sue, it really frames the raised bed, and the petunia container.

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Cool sculptures! Can they be out in the freezing weather?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

No they will come inside in October and reside in my livingroom and bathroom.
They are made of terrecotta clay, it is more porus than a high fired clay so it holds moisture. When freezing occurs it opens the walls of the piece and it cracks and shatters apart, very sad to see.

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

they must look lovely in your home as well. Did you make them yourself?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

No alas I cant work with clay anymore, just too heavy.
You have to be strong and flexable to do sculpture.
They were made by a local woman.
I'm so lucky to live in an area where there are so many artists.

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Do you have any art festivals in your area? We have one once a year in a local park. It's wonderful to walk through and see everyone's work. I try to save a little bit of money each week so I can pick something up when I'm there.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

There are two festivals of some signifigence (sp)
Corn Hill in July and Clothesline in September.
Lots of artists ,not much original art.
Dont get me going on that topic.
There are more important shows in other parts of the country.Heavily juried and beautiful original work.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

It took me 5 years to completely fill this one with asian jasmine. During growing season I trim about once evey 3 weeks but not an overwhelming chore. Darling husband built it.

Thumbnail by vossner

here is trellils #2, built 1 1/2 year ago. I am growing var. confederate jasmine on it but it is an area w/ very poor drainage so my first plant choice died. I figure it will take another 4 years to fill. Another DH construction.

Thumbnail by vossner

here is some lattice stuck inside this rectagular planter and laced with min. climbing rose Red Cascade. Actually, I have two planters arranged in the same manner, but took pic of only one. My rose has been a stingy bloomer, I don't know why.

Thumbnail by vossner
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Love the Asian Jasmine! Great job.

NICE!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

The Asian Jasmine looks great. With all the trimming does it bloom well? I'd like to do something like that with Pyracanthia.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Wow, love the jasmine one! Great job!

no, it doesn't bloom. I would hate to work with pyracantha thorns.

Tiffin, OH(Zone 6a)

This is a pic of my silver lace vine- It grew in great profusion like this for about five years. I would prune it back to six feet about every other year (and fill a pickup truck with the brush) It was full of bird nests and looked like it was snowing when the wind blew through it when in full bloom. Then it just did not come back one spring... I was heartbroken! I have a friend who had the same thing happen the same year. An extra cold winter maybe?! I decided to try something different so replaced it with a porcelain berry vine. Prett,y but not nearly as spectacular. Unfortunately both were/are irresistable to Japanese Beetle. I spray with sevin and it literally rains beetles for hours!!

Thumbnail by mwhit
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

That is so gorgeous!

How long did it take the Silver Lace Vine to get as big as shown in your photo?

I would have been heartbroken also whit. We all know that was not an overnight sensation. It took time and love.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

The Asian Jasmine is amazing, Nery.

The silver lace vine is intriguing, mwhit, and so is the idea of beetle rain. Does anyone else use sevin on Japanese beetles? I remember when sevin would get rid of every pest, but I get rose curculio weevils now that just laugh at sevin.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Yes, that entire thing is great. Great proportions, great design and great selection of vine. You get a great big A+ for that project !!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.