TEA ROOM # 28

barmera, Australia

Good morning everyone. I hope all are safe and well after the fiasco of the weekend. It has been a terrible time for some people who have lost their loved ones and all that they owned. It was lovely to see our overseas friends calling in to DG's to offer their support. My heart goes out to everyone. On a brighter note, Chrissy my Frosty Pink Angel has at last showed signs of life. She has a shoot about a centremetre coming out of the soil. I hope that the others follow suit, but the weather just hasn't been kind to poor little cuttings and seedlings has it. On another bright note though, my Hippy has come out. It is so lovely. Desert Dawn is her name. She is an orangy red with yellow and gold sparkles.The pic doesnt do her justice. All have a great day and I'll talkto you later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris
Merino, Australia

Hello everyone. Another day of sadness for many as the fires keep going.. It is very hard for the many survivors to sit by now as the investigation goes on. They are wanting to return to see what if anything can be salvaged, and to check on missing loved ones and pets. It is a sad thing in society that we have evil people to cause such grief for so many.
I cannot watch all the news as it keeps bringing the tears. Like Steve, I have had to leave the room at times.
I too, would like to thank all our overseas friends for their sympathy and best wishes. It means a lot to know people think of us from far away. I had a mail from a person in England , who I had had a limited contact with, but they were expressing concern because of the news stories.
I was watching the floods up north again and looking at all that water . It is a bitter quirk of nature to see the two contrasts in weather. We are due for more heat but today is quite cool here at the moment.
The trees are starting to lose a lot of leaves. I know some of this is caused by heat stress but it happened last year early too. I think Autumn is just around the corner. We have had hardly any Summer in this area and to have the days of excess heat was like getting Summer thrown at us contaiined in a few days. I have been looking around my garden and planning what will go and what can stay.
I think there is going to have to be a large scale rethink of what we grow.
Colleen and Brian are on the right track with the cacti part anyway.
Maybe each of us could put up a small list of what has done well and what has not in our areas as a help to others.
I will start a thread and everyone that wants to can add their bit.
I will repot a few plants today that have outgrown their pots. I have some bromeliad pups to get settled too.
I know we are all interested in the news but please if you can, pop in and let us see that each of you are well and safe.
Our parrot lady is okay. She has been away and will call in when she settles back home.
I am going to put out something nice as there is always someone popping in. Cranberry Swirl Cheesecake.
Keep safe and dry everyone. Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
townsville, Australia

Another day of sadness for our nation, my heart is breaking for everyone who has lost everything. shelly :(

Brisbane, Australia

I haven't posted for a while as there is nothing more I can add to the sentiments so very well expressed by other members, but with tears clouding my eyes, it is hard to see the keys. This is so significant that things will be referred to as "before the fires" or "after the fires" as so much will have changed for so many. My heartfelt condolences go to those who have lost so much. Hugs to all, Kat

Barmera, Australia

The Sullys are ripe (Thompson Seedless) Got rid of the old ones and restocked with these. Plenty there get into them.
Brian

Thumbnail by Stake

Hey true blue , can you bear the load?
Will you tie it up with wire
Just to keep the show on the road
another favourite of mine ...and so apt in the harsh days ,months, years to come. This will become a tragic bookmark in the chapters of our history. Untold number of quiet heroes with sooty faces ...
pass the wire and lets help tie it up and get those towns back on their feet.
The day here is grey and cool with a little drizzle ...

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Ah, Chrissy, that's the Ozzie spirit we imagine over here. We know how dear those sooty faces are and will say an extra prayer for them.

God bless our firefighters who are so exhausted and weary big thanks to you all and I hope you find the murderers first and deal with them and we will look the other way

western sydney nsw, Australia

Afternoon to all,
Sorry every time I sit to write I go blank this is a little close to home for me its hard for me the lose of life in fire I am sure it is affecting every one the same i am taking a few days break to get over the shock and mourning I will be back the end of the week--------Sammut.

Merino, Australia

Hello everyone. Another very cool morning here after a cold day yesterday. I was outside trying to do a bit despite the cold wind as it was just too sad to stay in and see the news. So sad to see whole streets of people have died. All those neighbors and friends lost now. So good to see the reuniting of the gentleman and his wife. An oasis of love in the ashes of death.
I was so sad to hear of our lovely Brian Naylor and his wife. I grew up with him on TV as all Victorians did.
I will not stay today as things are still a bit busy here with phones ringing etc. Our firefighters are still volunteering to go and help.
I will as usual , leave something nice to eat as I know some of you will pop in during the day.
I hope all in Qld are safe and that the NSW people are too, with their fires.
Try the Carrot Cake if you come in for a cuppa.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Victoria Harbour, ON

Know we are all praying for you and your families...
God Bless!

Just popped in to say I miss our happy chat but I am bereft of happy things to say in the face of such desolation and loss ...like sammut I will be back come friday/sat ...until then
(((((((Group Hug)))))))
To our friends from overseas who have taken their time from their own problems to wish our people well, a heartfelt thankyou.
A big International cyber hug from down under!
Chin up ...everyone ...while we have each other we can do anything!

Alstonville, Australia

Well said again Chrissy.
Thanks to all of you for your good wishes great to have such mates around.
Hel

Thumbnail by hel

For anyone interested in donating to the Australian Red Cross Bushfire fund - here is the information, along with U.S. dollar exchange (approximate) -

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=6117236

melbourne, Australia

we got evacuated saturday lunchtime (7th feb) and have only officially arrived back to my home yesterday afternoon (10th feb) . our house was amazingly saved by elvis helicopter and a wind change just as it reached the house. my garden isn't great. it wasn't burnt but the horrible hot winds that came through when the fire was at my fenceline have scorched all the leaves. elvis also dropped a heap of water on the house and that has hit so hard its broken a lot of the plants.

i am just so thankful that the garden is still there... and the house... and that my family are safe. we have four houses that were lost in our street and another five across the freeway that seperates us from the next street. i have a lot of friends who have lost husbands or houses. i am trying to pick up the pieces and be a support to my kids who are very traumatised... and to my husband who saw way more than me before he fled the house to save his life.

need a few weeks to just chill i think. my prayers and thoughts to everyone involved in this horrible fire.

shelly xx

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I am so sorry for your and your nation's loss. You are in my families prayers and we will donate to the cause to help rebuild. Just keep your heads up and enjoy each day at a time even if it is terrible. Why??Only God knows..God bless you. Let us know if we can help. Las Vegas DG and all my friends on DG.

Merino, Australia

Two friends having a rest from a hellish day.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

We need a little lightness to get through the horror.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Calvert City, KY(Zone 7a)

I am so sorry, so very sorry for all your losses and destruction.
Please know that we all care and are hurting right along with you.
I wish for you blessings now during this horrible time for your country.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

That's a cool picture and a cute cartoon. My brother and his wife are volunteer firefighters for their county down in Florida. We worry when they have to answer a call. Sometimes they get fires like that in Florida. Not so big, but nasty enough. This is awful beyond description. All of our thoughts and prayers are with you. thanks for the info about the Red Cross. Let us know what else can be done.
Martha

Merino, Australia

It's very quiet in here. I hope everyone is okay . I know we all feel sad at the moment. Thank you to our overseas friends who have popped in with their sympathies and prayers.
I cant close the Tea Room and sit inside in silence because that's not me. I like to chat and find that even in the worst of times talking with friends may bring tears but it does help.
Life has to go on and all those who have suffered loss will grieve, then pick up the shreds of their lives to begin again. It's what we humans do.
Shelly (in Vic) we are so glad you are okay. Please stay safe now and let us know when you are ready to think about your garden again as there are plenty of plants that can come your way.
I know it is going to be a long time before anyone worries about their gardens in those areas but as the rebuilding of lives and homes takes place , the gardens will rise again from the ashes. It works on the mind as a therapy for sorrow, I have found.
When the time comes that we start to see the green of regeneration of lives and plants, please put aside a plant to give to someone
Plant a special one in your garden too , as a memory of a time we want to, but should never, forget.
A few nibbles in case one of those heroic men wearing the yellow or green, passes by
Chocolate Chip Cookies..
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Christchurch, New Zealand

one of the more moving threads on DG I read a while back was about a garden rising from the carnage of a devastating tornado.
We all cope in different ways & i just hope that the support & prayers from those of us far away in other countries can be of some comfort.
We will all be there in spirit to cheer along with you when the first green sprouts signal new life returning to the trees & plants of the fire ravaged regions.
Heart felt best wishes
Teresa
'dalfyre'

Jean, here when we have fires, the native plants will come back the next spring, often better than ever. If nothing else, seeing those wildflowers and small plants coming up on the hillsides is lovely and brings hope to many. I hope you have something similar that happens there. It costs nothing, and everyone can see life coming back again. There is nothing that can bring back the lost lives, but nature can sometimes comfort the survivors.

Bless all,
Kathleen

townsville, Australia

Hello to all, Shelly i am so relieved to see you and your family are safe.
This was part of my nieces school assignment a couple of weeks ago for Australia Day, I thought it was pretty good so I wanted to share i hope you all don't mind.
A - Always there for a friend
U - Unstoppable
S - Sexy as hell
T - Truly terrific
R - Radical man
A - Adaptable
L - Look out if you mess with me
I - Ingenious
A - Amazing
N - Never to be put down

She is 11 and i think she did pretty well.

I am so sad all the time but I know this will pass soon and planting trees for the victims is a great idea Sunset :)

Merino, Australia

Here in Victoria, they are asking people to wear a yellow ribbon in recognition of all the firefighters and others who are doing such a great job under terrible conditions. It will also draw attention to the plight of the bereaved and the now homeless people.
Please wear a yellow ribbon for them all or tie one to your car or a tree in your yard.
God bless all our yellow coated angels plus the hundreds of others who selflessly work behind the scenes.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

If I had a yellow ribbon, I'd wear one for you all. The American Flag in our yard remains at half-mast in solidarity. Lee

Sydney, Australia

Hi all.
Still around but devoid of words at the moment.
On talkback radio in Sydney today all of the talk was from beautiful people organizing functions, convoys, fund raisers etc. People really do rally when the time of need arrives. Bless them all!
Cheers
Steve

Merino, Australia

Hello to anyone popping in. I hope you are all well and I do thank our overseas friends again for their wishes and prayers.
The weather is not going to be a help to the fire fighters over the next week so I hope they can contain some of the fires before it arrives.
It is heartening to see so many well known people getting in and raising money.
I will as always, keep the Tea Room open in case anyone wants to come in and have a chat.
At times like this, we are all affected emotionally but sitting and talking with friends does help.
A few nibbles out for the yellow angels again. They work so hard under terrible conditions. Keep safe everyone.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

We are a small population spread over a vast land and when these terrible disasters strike we come together as one. Even though our hearts are heavy we all feel proud ...
Autumn has arrived early for Victoria and here in NSW ...a blessing!
Hopefully this will ease the Victorian fires and here in NSW we have escaped another year of fires.
To shelly4kids ...so glad you are ok!
To everyone who has been so kind and supportive towards our dear Victorian people we are so very grateful. It means so much.
I like most will remember the beautiful volunteers ...
The tiny burnt paw cradled gently in the hand of a firefighter giving it's owner (Sam) a drink.
So many brave people who risked their lives without a second thought.
Truly even in times of tragedy there are always small miracles ...performed by "average" people.
The people who escaped by hiding in a wombat hole as the fire swept over them ...the bloke who was so badly burn't yet kept going back to rescue others ...another who saved perhaps 400 souls as he fought off the fire inside the ceiling of a hotel. So many that it takes your breath away.
So ok time to have a cuppa together today ...hopefully the threat is over now and we can all breath again.
I am going to plant a garden out today ...perhaps it will make me smile ...we all need to smile again don't we.
So I will see you later for a catch up ...Jean thanks so much for our special tea shop, what would we do without it.
chrissy

Oh, Chrissy, your message gives me chills. I remember how people here have come to help strangers when we have had fires. Folks, you just can't appreciate the primal fear that comes up when the very air you breathe turns into an enemy. I can't imagine dealing with the roar of the flames as well. These people are true heroes and deserve blessings piled one on the other.

On the good side, this tea room sure has some great treats!

K

western sydney nsw, Australia

morning to all ,
Whate can I say-
I have tied yellow on the flag pole and on my door .
I will plant a new tree but not till later for the next month all garden money and any spare will go to help .
-----------------Sammut

Thumbnail by sammut
Gisborne, New Zealand

All I can send to you all are my prayers and heaps of hugs. The fires and floods and all the loss of life and property are totally beyond comprehension.. The TV shows us the pictures and tells the stories but our understanding barely scratches the surface , it is all so devastating and certainly puts our own problems into perspective.. I hope all our DG folks are safe and that there is no more loss of life..
All the firefighters deserve a medal for bravery as they are fighting a living nightmare.. God Bless them all and you-all..
Lesley..

Thumbnail by Awchid
Merino, Australia

Hello everyone. I know the path is getting a bit long again, but I thought as it is not so busy at this time, I would leave the thread so everyone can read it. All the good wishes of our friends both here and overseas are so much appreciated.
Today is quite cool here and milder in the fire areas so will help to give the fire fighters a chance to get some control over the fires still burning savagely.
My new epi house if finished except for some pine bark on the floor, but it seems a tad insensitive to post pics at the moment when everyone in the fire areas has lost their entire house. I will show you all later when the pain and sorrow are not so recent.
I will be out around the garden today and doing a little bit of trimming of dead plants.
As I saw someone say in the paper, we cannot complain of a few crispy plants. At least they are not in ashes .
Come spring. our plants will green up again.
Hopefully, as the bush does its regeneration and the green shoots come through the black, lives will take on that sign of hope and rebuild also.
Our fireys still need our support and as always, I leave something here for anyone popping in
Cranberry Shortbread Bars. .
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

They have caught one of the arsonists and he is under guard in Melbourne

melbourne, Australia

jean, my garden is ok. some damage but i think a lot of the plants will come back. they were not touched by the fire but by the very hot winds and high heat as it hit my property.

i went and saw my cousin thursday and she has lost her house. she was soo sad about her garden though as there is not one plant or path left - just dust. it was quite an established garden that she had spent a lot of time in. she is very positive though and they plan on building on the same block. this fire is not going to beat them.

its amazing how resilient plants can be. my seeds were not watered for four days and in that time the heat they would have had would have been terrible. some seeds have emerged from the soil in that time and others have grown. it was lovely to see them when i returned to the house poking their little heads up and saying that all was ok.

looters are our problem here at the moment. they wouldn't want to be caught by the locals let me tell you. we have now had to get stickers for our cars to say we are local and arm bands to show that we are local. all others will be asked to leave the area for the next little while. they are rubber neckers and just go from street to street gawking and then some are sifting through sheds etc next to houses where there is only twisted metal and ash left. makes me so angry and there is a big sign in our town saying "looters will be shot". a friend of mine lost her house and husband in the fire and they have broken into his shed and helped themselves to what she has left. ggggrrrrrr.

shelly xx

Barmera, Australia

G'Day
Come on you mob, there's enough genuine misery around, cheer up and help cheer the victims of the fires up a bit too. They need smiling faces and cheerful messages. The sympathy has been offered and the condolences expressed now lets get on with the job of offering hope of restoration and a future.
Regards Brian

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

OK, smiles ,hugs and ,love to you all !!!!!!!

Thumbnail by synda
se qld, Australia

While I know what you're saying Brian, it's been a pretty catastrophic week for our entire nation. For those immediately affected, talking things over is going to be a part of their healing process.

I'm pleased that the majority have elected to stay and rebuild. In the news this week have been reports of impending lay-offs in the building industry here in Queensland. I just hope they get their butts down to Victoria and get all those people rehoused as soon as possible.

My thoughts and prayers really go out to the people of Marysville today as they make the traumatic trip back to see the little that is left of their town.

On a brighter note, one of our jobs over the past couple of weeks has been to demolish and rebuild our waterfall. I'd originally figured that if I put the rocks in place they'd fill with silt that washed down and seal, but the water always persisted in tunnelling down amongst them. Our block slopes about 15 degrees, and with the system of berms and swales that we built, it collected a collosal amount of water and just couldn't handle the force of it. So we decided to rip all the rocks out and cement the lot. The rocks are to be returned for cosmetic purposes only. Because our clay moves a lot we tried to avoid having to cement, but it was clearly the only way we were going to beat it.

We had a good downpour a couple of days after we'd finished and this was the end result. It's about 4 metres high. We're pretty happy with the way it works.

This message was edited Feb 13, 2009 9:39 PM

Thumbnail by gardengal

That's lovely.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.