Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: TEA ROOM # 28, 1 by gardengal

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright gardengal

In reply to: TEA ROOM # 28

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of TEA ROOM  # 28
gardengal wrote:
While I know what you're saying Brian, it's been a pretty catastrophic week for our entire nation. For those immediately affected, talking things over is going to be a part of their healing process.

I'm pleased that the majority have elected to stay and rebuild. In the news this week have been reports of impending lay-offs in the building industry here in Queensland. I just hope they get their butts down to Victoria and get all those people rehoused as soon as possible.

My thoughts and prayers really go out to the people of Marysville today as they make the traumatic trip back to see the little that is left of their town.

On a brighter note, one of our jobs over the past couple of weeks has been to demolish and rebuild our waterfall. I'd originally figured that if I put the rocks in place they'd fill with silt that washed down and seal, but the water always persisted in tunnelling down amongst them. Our block slopes about 15 degrees, and with the system of berms and swales that we built, it collected a collosal amount of water and just couldn't handle the force of it. So we decided to rip all the rocks out and cement the lot. The rocks are to be returned for cosmetic purposes only. Because our clay moves a lot we tried to avoid having to cement, but it was clearly the only way we were going to beat it.

We had a good downpour a couple of days after we'd finished and this was the end result. It's about 4 metres high. We're pretty happy with the way it works.

This message was edited Feb 13, 2009 9:39 PM