Am I the only one...

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Not sure that I've "tested" them outside during winter months...dang dogs knock them down so I dont' think that counts when they break....ugh!!!
Walmart's pricing: 16" pots are $10/each -- I think the 8" were $6...I'm sure I'll be by there so I can verify the sizes smaller then the 16" So depending on what they'd be charging for shipping...yes those prices look great!! Would "only" take 10 spending $50 each or 25 spending $25 a piece (which would only be ordering 4 of the large pots, for example). I DO love them but - everyone should stop by their local Walmart and peek at them to see what they think. There's nothing fancy about these - I just find them very functional for a vast array of plants, as I've previously said.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

There may be an additional 30% discount -- see http://www.miscohomeandgarden.com/policies.html. Their website isn't exactly transparent.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Gotta run a few errands...gonna peek at that tonight...

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Chantell, you're talking about the "self watering" ones on their site? I've been getting those "self watering" hanging planters at WM for a couple of years now, and I LOVE them. I also got a window box with the same self watering design at the seed swap last year. They changed the design a bit last year, and it looks like it's changed again this year with those "scalloped" pots, but they're still simple in style, and as long as the interior design doesn't change I'm happy.

Guess I could look in the basement and see if I've got a planter down there that still has its manufacturer's tag.

I'm interested, especially if we could get some terra cotta colored ones (all I've seen at WM is a sort of putty color and that odd light green).

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Happy's link above isn't working. Try this one and here's the text.

http://www.miscohomeandgarden.com/policies.html Hmm they look the same. If this doesn't work go to www.miscohomeandgarden.com and click on policies.

Purchase Policies
1. Terms are net 30 with approved status. All other orders will be charged to an approved credit card prior to shipping, including freight costs.
2. Freight is FOB Dunellen, NJ 08812.

3. $500.00 minimum order per location.

Chantell, if those are the plastic self watering planters, they are a LOT cheaper than that at the Walmart here unless they've gone up drastically since last spring. That's a possibility. I'm going over there tomorrow, I'll try to check the prices.

In fact, I see a lot of their stuff at Walmart including the watering cans and the caddies.

Did you all see the plant stands and galvanized watering cans? They come in 1-4 per case and if anyone needs those, might be a good way to get the minimum order.

4. Orders must be in full case quantities.

5. Prices are subject to change without notice.

Discount Information
Your final price will be discounted based on your total order cost. After you submit your price request below you will be contacted via email with your final price.

$500.00 to $999.99 - 30% off
$1000.00 and over - 40% off

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

If shipping/handling is awful, that will offset these good prices, of course. But if there is enough interest, I'll call one of the salesman to see what we would be looking at.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I didnt' get by Walmart tonight...will go tomorrow. I know that price for the 16" is correct at $10 Please know there are at least TWO types of the Misco pots...one is not self watering - therefore doesn't have the elevated bottom...they're the really cheap ones. Another consideration is some places charge less to ship to a business then a home...course some businesses charge the same regardless. I dont' mind if we used my work addy if they makes it cheaper...just need to keep in mind I no longer have the van...just the little car...LOL

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ok...just took a peek-see at the links. These would be the ones I'm talking about: http://www.miscohomeandgarden.com/planters/scalloped.html This "scalloped" style was what was in the stores about 2 years ago...the ones now look the same minus the "scallop." Looking at their prices - it doesn't appear to be cheaper...not sure what the discount does to it and how much of that would be taken up by shipping.
I don't think these http://www.miscohomeandgarden.com/planters/basic_planter.html are the self watering ones but the very basic ones. Clear as mud?

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I could be thinking about the other ones. I didn't buy any last year either and everything made with plastic/that requires shipping has gone up in the past year. I'll see if they have them out yet at the Walmart here when I'm over there today.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

So if we got the ones that are self-watering and 15" D X 12.25" H, they are packed in groups of 4 for $52.80, or about $13 each, minus 30% plus shipping?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

These are the ones (again minus the scalloping) that are $10/each at Walmart now

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

$10 for a 15" pot -- that's a great price, don't ya think?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I do....I need to run out later...promise to get the reg Walmart prices..and I'll post a pic of mine

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi, it's Ric. I just caught up on this thread and I'm sorry did! The last time I had Holly to the Pottery Factory in Williamsburg, we had the (big)Explorer, and a trailer with a fairly empty boat. They were so nice and left us load up at the back gate so as to not hold up traffic. Just a warning, be careful if you take Holly on a road trip, she may leave someone behind so she can fill their seat. LOL

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Rebuttal, Rebuttal, I will not, repeat, will not! Leave anyone behind! You just may have to hold a few things on your lap. LOL
I was just thinking, the last time I went on a girls trip I came home to a new Potting Shed..... wonder what another trip might produce?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

LOL I'm very good at sitting with and around stuff.. and Happy already offered to ride on the roof!

My friend Theresa has a small car, and you'd be amazed at what we've managed to fit in there during road trips... I think we had 20+ trees one time (and not tiny ones!), but thankfully we only needed to get from Sam's Club back to my place with that load. People were watching with amazement as she pulled that car up to our group of potted trees... entertaining as watching a dozen clowns come out of a VW, I suppose, only in reverse!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I remember Jamie coming home in the back seat of a Jeep CJ with a bird bath pedestal buckled in next to him.Holly my have had her feet in the top part. LOL Ric

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

ROTFLOL...I remember threatening one of the kids with the luggage rack...teasin' of course but was funny all the same!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I went to WalMart this afternoon -- excuse was that I needed bird seed and a few other things, but really I wanted to see all the new garden stuff. Zero. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

They're still using those shelves for scattered Christmas items, now marked 90% off.

I did take advantage of that, however... I bought 72 (12 boxes of 6) softball-sized unbreakable silver ornaments for $6. I'm not sure what tree, railing, etc. they will grace next year, but I'll put them to good use.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

No luck with the pots at my Walmart either. I did snag some awesome buys on Christmas decorations too, ranging in price from 10 cents to 50 cents. If anyone is into silver and black for Christmas, they had some big wreaths that had been $30 for $2.50. I didn't think of it, but for that price you could pop off the black ornaments and replace them with another color.

Chantell, if the Walmart price is better, have you considered calling and asking if they would give you a discount for a case of them, or several cases of them? They're probably getting a much better than wholesale price and could cut you a break.

Why would you sell those pots in boxes of four?! I'm sure they could fit many more than that in a box.

Ric, no fair comparing a trip to the Pottery with anywhere else. I used to go a couple of times a year, by myself, when we lived in Richmond and I couldn't have possibly fit another person in the car coming home. LOL Went back a few years ago when we went to Williamsburg at Christmas and I was dismayed to see how much smaller it is now but even so you could fill a car easy.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Headin' there now...will report when I return...*Mission Impossible Theme*

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I've never ever heard of the Pottery Factory in Williamsburg. Still worth the trip?

This message was edited Jan 25, 2009 8:41 PM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Hart, Those cheap artificial wreaths are great to use with fresh greens. Just tie in the fresh greens and add what you want. Cheaper than a wreath frame. You are right the Factory isn't half of what it was. But I still find some nice inexpensive things. Back in the 70's I would make several trips for pottery that I could sell with my Macrame. Made quite a bit of money on the resale as the prices were so cheap. Sure made a nice display with my plant hangers.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Pottery Factory, Oh Boy! We always make a stop there if we are in the area. Got some great Bath towels there, Garden Flags, silk flowers, my first pair of Croc Knock-offs, big bag of peanuts. Just some of the stuff I came home with, even Hubby likes to shop there.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Happy, I guess it depends on what you are looking for and what you think of as a good price. They have a ton of things. Glassware, pottery, clay, salt glazed, baskets, wicker items, lamps, pictures & frames, all kinds of decorative items, silk & dried flowers, Christmas shop, Kitchen shop, Garden shop, concrete items,benches, yard art, bird bath, pond items, metal work. Then there is a whole other area with outlet stores. I haven't even talked about the plants. Lots of plants. I think some of the things have really good prices and some are just fair. I always find a lot of really good deals to bring home.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ok...pots:
16" $10
13.9" $8
11" $6
9" $4

Shenandoah Valley, VA

It was wonderful back then. Happy, I got crystal stemware there for 25 cents, a rush seated little wooden chair for my daughter for $2, china dinnerware for less than $1 per plate, just to give a few examples.

I could go with $30 and come home with a carload of stuff. Of course this was when you could buy something with a dollar. LOL

They must have had an acre of clay and ceramic pots, and the saltware Holly mentioned, a huge section of just silk flowers, another section of just framed prints, handcrafted wooden items from Mexico like the chair I mentioned and lots of housewares, I know I'm forgetting a lot. Everything was dirt cheap.

It's a fraction now of what it was.

Go here and you can take a video tour.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I think this was the link Hart was going to add: http://www.williamsburgpottery.com/about/video.html

Sounds like my kinda place!

This message was edited Jan 26, 2009 12:04 AM

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Duh! Thanks, Happy. BTW, there are some wonderful gardens in the historic district in Williamsburg while you're down there, not to mention the folk art museum.

Another thing to look for in the shops in the historic district are these cute bird bottle birdhouses, although they may have them at the pottery too in with the salt glazed stuff.
http://www.williamsburgmarketplace.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductView?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=12118&topSelectedId=15856&secondarySelectedId=13871&categoryId=13938

BTW, did you all know Strasburg VA used to be called Pottown because of the salt glaze pottery that was made there?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

*whining* I want birdhouses....I just don't want to mortgage the house to buy them...sigh What happened the the senior men building them and selling them on the front lawns????

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Chantell & I had a great time there - we drove there in THE worst rain storm ever - it rained non-stop and we were truly drenched - other than that - great trip ^_^ I am sure we would have made much more of a dent in the stores if it hadn't rained so long and hard as it did!

This message was edited Jan 26, 2009 1:00 PM

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Chantell, they have really nice wooden birdhouses at Walmart for $10, or if you want one for the little wrens, you can get the ones in the crafts section for a couple of bucks.

BTW, my dad made some for my mom a few years ago using a clay flowerpot. He attached the open end of the pot to a wooden board, the hole in the bottom of the pot is the opening for the birds. Mom has them hanging on the back of the garage.

This message was edited Jan 26, 2009 1:20 PM

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ohhh Becky's not kidding either...that was fun!! Ya oughta dig up one of those pics, Becky and post....LOL

Diane - I'd forgotten about the pots that I saw at your mom's. Do you know how he attached them and what size pots were those?....

Ahhh Becky...we need to go back down to the pottery...I bet they'd have lots of Birdhouses...and come on ya want another Maid of Orleans...admit it!!! LOL

I'm feeling like a shut in - despite getting out every day...wanna go play

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

YES, we need to go back - I need pots - and yes, I will find pics when I am on other computer - yes, I want another MoO (mine said buh-bye when the spider-mites appeared)....road trip it is!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Mine, God love it, is still doing well..matter-a-fact I'm going to jinx myself and get her into an 8" pot - hmmm, unless I should wait till spring...now I have to thunk on that. Any-who - point being....you're always welcomed to cuttings from her as well!!! I do hear the Pottery's greenhouse calling our names though.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

UHU - I can hear it too ^_^ We do need to get down there - I am SURE they have orchid pots :-) We went too early in the year did we not? Or did we go too late? Gawd, I can't remember past noon :) I think we went too early...I'm having a serious case of CRS

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I would imagine he used wire and screws - wrapped around the bump out at the top of the pot and the screws - or little eye hooks that screw in. Knowing Daddy, I'm sure he didn't glue it because then you wouldn't be able to open it to clean it. The eye hooks would make it easier to remove the wire on one side to clean the birdhouse.

I think those were 6 pots or around that size.

Bec, why don't you call and ask when this or that are coming in? They are in zone 8 down there I think so their outdoor planting season would start a lot earlier than ours.

I think Webers in Winchester has orchid pots. If they don't, I know Hortons, also in Winchester, would have them. Hortons was closed for a while but have reopened in a new facility on Route 522.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Becky - it was fall...."too late"... I went last year when I "volunteered" to take my nephew on the Boy Scout over-nighter to the VA aquarium (UGH)...I think it was in March...they had the cutest gourd shaped terra cotta bird houses...but mine broke...it was some insanely cheap price (read UNDER $7)...but I don't remember if you could clean it...good point, Diane.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Aha - so an early trip it is then, even better - wuhuuuuuuuuu - road trip! Just make sure we DOUBLE check the weather first - I will never, ever drive through a monsoon/hurricane again - I think they said it was the worst rainfall in 63 years or something.... ^_^

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Big Baby....I'll drive and bring tarps...wats da matter you????

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.