Am I the only one...

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Oh - nothing da matter with me - I remember distinctly having to pull OFF 95 cause we couldn't SEE 95 ^_^ What, bring the tarp so we can make your car into a sailboat? LOL

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Pottery Factory bird houses. These are the ones I keep in the house for decoration but you can put them outside if you like. They are all Terra cotta except for the one salt glaze I picked these all up just a few years ago and they always seem to have these for only a few $$.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Shenandoah Valley, VA

LOLOL You two! It sounds like so much fun. With or without the convertible car/sailboat.

If you wait about 3 or 4 months, the weather will be nice, the gardens will be pretty and probably the azaleas will be blooming along the Colonial Parkway and hopefully there will be no snow/sleet/monsoons to worry about.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Oh, I love those, Holly! Especially the pear and the salt glazed one.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

These bottle houses are real cute, they are missing the little perch sticks I'll have to find new ones. Chop sticks work real good. These come in salt glaze, too. Am I helping....LOL

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Shenandoah Valley, VA

How much were the bird bottles at the potter, Holly? Not that I stand an icecube's chance in you know where of getting to Williamsburg anytime.

If you don't want to use chopsticks, you can get little dowels in any crafts store. I'll bet the wooden lollypop sticks in the Wilton section would work too.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

The bird houses and this pot with the hydrangeas are all upstairs in my storage room right now. Both the pot and the hydrangeas came from the factory. They have very nice silk/dried flowers
Thanks Hart in the spring I do an arrangement with them on top of my kitchen cabinet along with some of my ceramics.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Shenandoah Valley, VA

That's really pretty. Holly, if you ever get out to the Festival of the Leaves or the Wine and Mushroom Festival in Front Royal, the local historical group always sells dried hydrangeas for very reasonable prices. They set up in the yard in front of Belle Boyd's cottage on Chester St.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

"Sailing...takes me away...to where I've always wanted to be..." Christopher Cross
HOLLY - that pear one was the one I got...and broke...whaaaa!!!
Diane - all ya gotta do is ask...you know I'd pick you up one while down that-a-way

This message was edited Jan 26, 2009 4:21 PM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I really don't remember Hart, I'm so bad about prices. I know they weren't a lot I'd be surprised if they were more than $5 if that. Here is a real oldie from back in the 70's. It's my terrarium jar, it has a lid I just don't have it on in this pic. They had these stacked up against the side of a building for just pennies. I remember those cute little chairs. I think they still blow glass down there. I remember going out behind the glass shop and getting big chucks of colored glass that came out of the furnaces. I think they sold it by the pound. Very pretty.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Chantell,I'm sure they still have them. Are you going to the seed swap? I might be able to get Ric to knock a few wooden houses together for you. I need a few new ones myself. My Dad made these really cute ones, it's a piece of PVC with a cap on the bottom a hole cut in the side and a funnel for a top. He threads a piece of rope thought the funnel and knots the end to use as a hanger. I think he screws the bottom cap in so you can take it apart and clean it. I'll try to get a picture. Very easy to make and doesn't take a lot of tools. You know maybe I should go up and make a few with Dad.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ya'll are just TOO creative...I never ceased to be amazed with what folks come up with!!! Yes, I'll be at the seed swap but please don't go to trouble over this. Personally I love more watching Chloe watch the birds then even watching just the birds...hmm did THAT make any sense at all??? LOL

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Yes that made sense. I just put up a new seed block holder and suet holder for the birds. Sounds like they're going to need it the next couple of days.

I'd love to get some of those pottery birdhouses. Maybe I'll get busy and make some clay pot ones before spring. I'll make you some too, Chantell.

Holly, that's so cute what you did with the terrerium. I remember the glass blowers.

One of my most prized antiques is a glass pitcher that my great-uncle, who was a glassblower, made for my grandmother as a wedding present. She gave it to my mom when Mom and Daddy got married. Mom always said since her MIL gave it to her, she was going to give it to her eventual daughter in law when my brother got married. Even when I was a little girl, I always told her, no, I wanted that pitcher. My brother got married 25 years ago and the pitcher stayed in my mom's china closet. A few Christmases ago I opened a box from Mom and there was the pitcher. I still cry thinking about that.

It's nothing fancy but it means a lot to me.

That's a cute idea for the pvc pipe birdhouses. Don't you have to worry about rain getting in where the rope comes through the funnel? Does he seal that off some way?

That's a great price on the bird bottles. I'm still kicking myself for not getting any when we were in Williamsburg a few years ago. We didn't spend any time at the pottery at all so I didn't see any. I had a man with me who had already been dragged through the folk art museum and various other spots - need I say more? Then we got back into the car and it wouldn't start. We ended up spending Christmas Eve riding in the cab of a tow truck back to the valley. Was that ever fun. I'll tell you one thing, don't ever consider the possibility of renting a car in Williamsburg on a holiday week.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ohhh Diane...how special is that!!! See your mom WAS listening to you!!! And I told you....I'd be more then happy to pick some up for you - just say the word.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Yes, it was very special. I think she had no choice but listen in this instance. I must have told her 300 times, starting when I was a little girl. LOL But she always told me no, that she had to keep up this tradition. I'm glad she did listen. It wouldn't mean anything to my SIL but it means a lot to me.

I would love it if you could get me some, maybe a bird bottle or two and a birdhouse. Or a half a carload. (snicker, just kidding) You can never have too many birdhouses. >^<

I have a bathouse too but haven't put it up yet, or I should say I haven't talked Marshall into getting high enough on the ladder to put it up at the recommended height. Bats are good - they eat lots of bad bugs.

Oh, Chantell, something else to look for at the pottery is toad houses.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

ummm and why praytell do I want toads???? except to pick up, let Chloe touch and chase her mother with....LOL Yes, I'm very immature....ask Becky

Shenandoah Valley, VA

To eat the bad bugs. They eat three times their weight in bad bugs every day or something like that. Bug eating machines.

The toad houses give them a place to live and besides, they're cute. The toad houses are cute. The toads are cute - to mama toads.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Hmmmmm - eats bad bugs and Chantell can chase Christine with one - heck, why not :-)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Sounds like a win-win situation to me!! *evil grin*

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Chantell - THIS is a birdhouse

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Is that your hubby? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!! Great looking man!

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

LOL - yes and thank you ^_^ Not only good looking, has a heart of gold!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ahhh Bec!!! I knew you had it for him...but never got to hear his reaction....THAT is sweet....know he enjoys the "family" out back as much you you do!!! Was thinkin' of you two when Chloe came runnin' in this morning grabbed my hand pulling while saying shhhhh....I should've know...McFattie squirrel was a munching away on the bird seed - I have a feeder by the sliding door so she can watch the emmmm, birds yeah...the birds...dang squirrel - LOL
LOOK at these: http://www.thegardenexpress.com/birdhouses.html

This message was edited Jan 28, 2009 11:47 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.