Garden Photos - Part 48

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Coming from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/934504/#new

Lots of ice in the garden today. Here is a crape myrtle.

Thumbnail by victorgardener
southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

I love that picture!

This osmanthus - normally about 7 ft high, is about 2 1/2 - 3 ft off the ground.

Thanks Shelly! Dragon's Eye pine.

JM near the pond.

JM above the pond.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

love those

Viburnum Winterthur.

Thanks Allison. Last for now.

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Oh, Victor! That's a lot of ice!
We are having an ice storm here as well. Gregg says the driving ids like driving on marbles, it's that bad. Here's hoping the rest of the branches don't fall off and break any more power lines. And, I hope that you don't lose power also, Victor.

Thanks Candyce - it's raining now so most of this should melt.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

my feeder in the yard looks the same as yours... I dare not go out there... one of the slopes might get me

Good luck out there Candyce and Victor, and everyone else. Victor, I don't think that I would mind ice so much if it was followed by weather decent enough to go out and take prety pictures in :-p

Bill, I forgot to mention, come to think of it.... I don't think that the red witchhazels are really known for blooming young, although Diane might be the best bet at it. None of my red ones bloomed last year, they're not going to this year! (yep, I have a fetish for witch hazels) I've never noticed it until now that all of the "little bloomers" of mine are orange and yellow.

Speaking of Witch hazels, does anyone here have 'strawberries and cream?" I saw a picture of it a while back and the flowers are interesting.

I'm pretty sure Jelena took 2 years. I bought a decent size from Fairweather.

If I were to show you the size of my Jelena, you'd laugh and wonder how I kept from loosing it it the weeds! I did spend a pretty good sum on an Arnold Promise a few years back. It bloomed the first three years (bue it had to be 10 yrs. old already) , and this year it's going to be the only one that's not going to bloom :-(

Well, lombards weeping might not either, it's hidden in the weeds and I forgot to look at it.

This message was edited Jan 7, 2009 9:05 AM

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

well my little Diane is only about 2-3' tall so its got some growing to do.

shelly this ice looks nice in pics - said the same thing you did before the last storm - not so nice anymoreafter the last one - although this storm is rain here at work as well - hopefully at home it is also rain. out where candyce is it is suppose to stay ice - at least in last nights news.

victor you have this - what is it?

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

azalea - these were from the last storm.

Thumbnail by wha

Either a JM or kerria?

Hopefully it will flower for you next year Bill!

Thomaston, CT

My DH took the dogs for a ride---roads were sloppy & icy--but no one about--smart people! Here is the maple that I bought as Norway, but now believe is sugar.

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG

Looks like Kerria to me. But, that only becuase I don't really see the, usually equal, spacing between the buds of a jm.

And not enough branching.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

well it is .........................kerria - figures you two would know!

lol, usually a lucky guess for me.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

shelly it will flower - love the double blooms on this - hate cleaning out the dead branches in the spring - two are planted on a slope and the roots are very aggressive with new shoots popping up all over the place. has let me "propagate" babies to other areas that are flat they do not have the problem up to now.
one of my plans is to build another wall behind the one built last year - it would be circular - back fill with dirt to give these two a flat place to grow. i'm constantly pulling up roots and shoots.

if someone ever wanted a kerria - come on over in the spring - i'm giving them away.

This message was edited Jan 7, 2009 12:26 PM

Forgot my neighbor's serviceberry.

This was from inside - my lilac.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

That looks like mine a month ago!
I had a ton of buds on my Christmas Cactus just before the Ice Storm knocked the power out. Because of the cold I lost all the buds, they never opened... just fell off. Now a month later it's blooming again and this time I have blossoms!! Of course there is another ice event outside in the making as I type but at least I got to see them this time!!

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Also took D-Nuts recipe and made the birds a treat.

Thumbnail by pixie62560

Funky just yesterday I saw a receipe on TV and wrote it down.

1 lb suet
1 16-20 oz peanut butter
Melt the 2 togather over low heat.

5 cups white flower
6 cups corn meal
1-2 cups sunflower seeds (deshelled)
small box raisins.

Mix it all in a rectangle baking dish and cool for 24 hours. Cut it up into squares and put in the suet cages.

Pretty bloom, Celeste. Looks like your birds will be happy.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

easy to go to HD and buy a 12 pack of suet with the nuts and peanut butter already in it - the birds seem to like it a lot.

I'll have to look for that.

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Got an 8-pack of suet at Wal*Mart just this week for under $7. Good deal, I thought.

How long does one last?

Depends how much it is pecked at. 3lbs of suet Sunday. It might last 2-3 weeks. Blue Jays and chicodees. Downy wood peckers are the most frequent.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i think i have 4 different kinds of wood peckers - like the flicker - and the normal chickadees although they do not take much - it is the woodies that and especially the flicker that chow down. 2-3 weeks is pretty accurate - it also depends on where the suet is placed. closer to cover the faster it goes - hawks like to eat too and not he suet

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

My suet doesn't even last a day with the stupid squirrels.

You dont have a suet cage?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I do but they hang off of it(upside down) and pick at it all day...I'll take a pic someday.....waiting for hubby to make me some squirrel baffles

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.