Garden Photos - Part 48

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I should thing it would be mentaly distructive to only see a flat landscape.

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

I don't know. My sister thinks it's ok, although she misses the trees at times. It seems to have been good for Karen! Who knows? For me, it's a good place to go and Visit!!!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

yep!!

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

I could never live without trees that is how I know spring is happening the buds the leaves in spring the cool shade in summer and the fall colors

Thomaston, CT

Shelley----I do remember that part of the trip---remember stopping in Eugene as well. We did have to take the bus for part of the trip, as the tracks were out in Cal. It was a trip to remember---we were the last train allowed over the Miss. River---water was already on the tracks---we got to Chicago so late, Amtrak put all of us up at a hotel with meal vouchers---good thing---after being on & off the train for 2 weeks, we were short of cash!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

LOL Marilyn the first part of your post made it sound like you were traveling duering the Great Migration West in the mid 1800's.

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

This morning I saw a squirrel dive down into the snow, then came up a few yards away right under the bird feeder pole - it was hysterical! Like he was swimming!

The two holes on the right are the squirrel holes. My "Sshh, the garden is sleeping" sign is buried up to its neck in a snow blanket. And I love the contours of the stone wall under all the snow, also.

Thumbnail by PrimroseSue
Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Here's my second annual shot of the "snow mushrooms" (sedum 'Autumn Joy').

Thumbnail by PrimroseSue

nice picks still hate the snow hahahah if its anything to do with cold I can skip it hahah

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Oh, I totally agree with you! But, you know the old saying - "when life gives you lemons, oops, I mean snow . . ."!

This message was edited Jan 19, 2009 11:48 AM

ok so lets all make slushies hahahah or is it snow cones if we make enough maybe we will use it all hahahhahah but no yellow one please lol

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

eeuw!!!!

hahahahhaha

lol.

Robin, you had quite the trip out here. That's for certain! I'm always surprised at how tenacious those trains can be sometimes. It's nice that they put you up for the night with food. When did you make the trip out? Last year there was a massive landslide that wiped out huge section of the tracks just a little above me. Folks were unhappy, not because they had to take the bus for quite a ways, but because they were looking forward to the slow strek across those "switchbacks" and through the snow. I had no idea that that stretch was so well liked.... going back and forth, back and forth, and again, to move up the mountain!!

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Shelly, I remember seeing lightning storms like that in Nevada and Arizona. I loved watching them. What a sight! Like seeing a storm out at sea.

Shelly, the landscape doesn't look all that flat to me. Rather more like rolling hills. In Nevada and Arizona, even though it was very wide open, it definitely wasn't flat. Lots of hills and mountains. But there was lots of open lands with desert type shrubs and small trees. Larger trees would be found around rivers and creeks, like cottonwoods and such, and of course around people's homes. Nevada had totally different plants, like sage brush, rabbit brush and such. Arizona had all kinds of cacti and succulents as well as small desert type trees like palo verde, mesquite, iron wood, etc.

Robin, I had an experience traveling on Amtrack from Reno to Boston and got into Chicago late. They had to put us up in a hotel that time, too, with money for cab and food. It was kinda fun, actually, as I got to spend the following day in Chicago. Got to go to the zoo and the Seas Tower. Walked around downtown. I enjoyed the experience. That was back in 1994.

Nice pics, Sue!

Karen

Karen, isn't it amazing what triggers our fascinations!
How flat it is there depends on which direction you look. If you look north and west, it is rolling hills that eventually lead to mountains. South or east... you can see where it begins to flatten out. Nothing like the midwest or Nevada! But, you can still see for many miles! Glad that your train trip was fun! I think that next time I'm going to have to try to schedule it knowing of an upcoming weather event! Maybe I'll get a free stay over somewhere! Although, it would be my luck that we'd all just be stuck on the train :-p

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

LOL! Hey, I'm a firm believer in the law of attraction. Whatever you think about, that's what will come to you.

Karen

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

so are you saying shelly will be stuck on the train?

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Not necessarily, but if she were to think about it often enough, that or something like it could happen.

Karen

hmmm..... Most of the time I'm just taking in the scenery and not thinking about being stuck or going forward:-p. So what does that mean?

Ok, so I just started a new thread at the request of some of the folks on the PNWest form after i mentioned my fascination with frost and ice. So, it is on the PNWest forum but, I'm still hoping that you folks will join in! I don't want it to be all my stuff!!!!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/944506/

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Here are some photos in my gardens today. Got lots of pretty snow yesterday and last night. woke up to a winter wonderland.

Karen

View out my bedroom window.

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Bird condos

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Icicles

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Branches of my red oak.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Looking towards my driveway from the front door.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Very nice, Karen. I really like the icicles one.

I like the last one as well. Having the PT there only makes it better :-p

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

I like the red oak one, with the sun behind it. Oh! You and Kassia both have the same kind of car!

I thought I'd kick the day off with a bright, and dark, pic from yesterday.

Thumbnail by redchic01

I just finished taking some nice sunrise pics will post a little later my daughter used up all the rechargable batteries lol only got a few pics and dead they went lol

awh..... don't you just hate it when that happens!! so frustrating. Looking forward to seeing them when I get home from work.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

we have blooms hooooray

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

another view Cynbidiums

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

last one

Thumbnail by ge1836
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Lovely Jo Ann, thats the perfect kind of sunshine on a cold day!!

nice flower

Those are lovely Jo Ann. I second Pixies sentiments.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I never believed real blooms in my livingroom would be so welcome.
Now because I am a competetive person I want more bloom stems next year.
Last year it put out two.

I have many plants that bloom all winter in my home it is a bit of joy for the long winter months

South Hamilton, MA

Sister in law sent an indoor bulb garden for Christmas--it is upstairs in this room & hyacinths scent the place.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.