Garden Photos - Part 48

Rock in the Caribbean - ohhh

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Love the donuts!! Debbie is at Silver Star Vinery http://www.silverstarvinery.com/default.asp

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

Debbie's clematis is http://www.silverstarvinery.com/default.asp

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

you beat me

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

they have the most beautifll clematis on that site wow

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

debbie is the best source for clematis i've found - the root sizes are enormous. and she knows her vines and is very helpful with questions.

oh and we need a new thread

Thomaston, CT

Yes, we do, but I don't know how to start one. Photos of Montauk were great---my stepdaughter lives in Commack---maybe next summer we can get out to Montauk--I've never been. Would love a copper WH--very pretty---loved the amaryllis, too.

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

love any flower with color and most of them have that

Port Washington, NY(Zone 7a)

Thank you, Wha and Pixie. I'll check it out.
Dyane

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

So, Jo Ann, do vibernums get diseased easily? I have only one, and it does flower profusely, but it looks diseased to me. Always loses more branches each year, it seems.

LOL, on the the Edward Scissorhands things, Mona! Too funny. I should call my sister that. She sometimes attacks our rhodies that way, butchering them. The thing about rhodies, though, is most of them grow so fast, and the ones she attacks are in areas that we can't allow them to grow too large. About 3 of them need to be moved to the back, close to the woods. They can grow all they want back there. In fact, they can have at it!

You guys with all the tripping, falling, cuts, etc. remind me of me! LOL! I'm always clumsy. I trip on things, fall, burn myself on lawnmower mufflers (have a scar to show for that one), and bump into things a lot. Ha! I call my cuts and bruises from my gardening escapades my "battle scars".

I have a WH at my place. I don't know if it's one my late mother planted or a species variety. Are they native to this area? It gets small yellow flowers. For the longest time I didn't know what it was, and I would have removed it if I hadn't liked the shape and the foliage so much. I hadn't noticed the little flowers on it till a couple years ago.

Dyane, those pics from Montauk are lovely. Love the "glazed, chocolate donuts". LOL! They really do look like that!!!

You guys post so much, I have a hard time keeping up!

Karen

South Hamilton, MA

We just noticed that icicyles dripping from the house have broken off a large branch from our Nova Zembla rhodie. Not all storm action is under the snow.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi Karen The vibernums here are 20 years old. Google "vibernum disease" there are a few articles on them, mostly stress relateddue to dowt and heat.

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

Wow, i'm just now catching up on all the stuff from today. Thanks to all

That's great!. Jo Ann, too funny that you have a neighborhood kid right there in your house. Don't give up though. I've met very few teenagers who actually give a crud about plants (that was me as well!!). However, I've met many who really care a lot about them if you tell them that part of the deal in paying them is that they have to replace damaged plants that weren't part of "the deal." Then again, I also think that it helps to find teenagers that have bills to pay like: car insurance or cell phone bill. When in high school I had car insurance and sports fees. I worked every odd job offered to me! I loved that last pic of yours with "the roses". teehee.

Scicciarella--- or should I call you Edward? lol. Sooty mold can be an issue given the climate here. the occasional over pruning is the only way to get rid of that crap and keep it from returning, even better to do it on a regular basis. Yes, On days when I've decided to prune stuff, I make myself bring outside my referrence book, along with a chair to safely place it, to check the plants that I'm not 100% certain of the pruning time.

Bill, you'll be happy with Diane. And yes, if in sun it should have great red fall shades. The ones that i've seen in the shade are usually orange fall colors. Still pretty though. I think that I saw that version of Americas Funniest videos as well.

I agree brooke about needed more WH around! Strangely enough, can you believe that I'm allergic to them. Is that some wicked kind of murphy's law or what? But, I still like the silly things, so when pruning or dealing with them, I'm fully covered head to toe! As soon as i'm done with them, the clothes go directly into the wash. Or I wipe benadryl cream all over myself. either way, it's worth it. For the most part though, i just try to not touch them and all is well.

Dyane, I'll look forward to seeing a pic or two of them from christmas then. They sound adorable. Great pictures there yourself. I love that last pic of "moonlight." It's great.

Karen, hamamelis virginiana is native to certain areas of New England states, but i'm not sure exactly where. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/806/ what it lacks in showy blooms it makes up for in fragrance and the strongest form of pharmaceutical witch hazel.

I forgot to mention... I loved all the stories of everyones mishaps in the garden. Of course only funny because no one was seriously injured, but I had all these visions and pictures going through my head!

I someone wants me to, I'll start a new thread for you. Do you want to keep on going to #49 in the series or start over for the new year? But the offer only lasts until I go to work in the morning. Besides i'm taking a few hours for some sleep here soon.

This message was edited Jan 24, 2009 2:17 AM

This was a hellebore pic from last weekend. It looks to me like someone turned a light on in the flower!

Thumbnail by redchic01
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

A new year would be great thenks RC.
I miss V already

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

we crossed
WOW what fantastic color.

I'll work on the new thread here in a second.

a pic of a frozen fern in my yard.

This message was edited Jan 24, 2009 2:59 AM

Thumbnail by redchic01

We did cross. thanks! As I mentioned it looks like a lights on in there. lol. I posted the pic the other day in one of the PNWest forums and someone called it a "Fairy Chandelier."

What do you think of this title for the new thread Jo Ann

Garden Photos of '09......#1

Well, i need to go to bed, so I made an "executive decision."

Here's the link new Northeast Garden photos thread, starting over in numbers in honor of the new year!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/945747/

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Cool Sheeps even with their burrfullness. ok I shall just paddle around on my own for the day; out to the greenhouse to sing to my seeds for awhile...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.