Garden Photos - Part 48

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

ok so do they look the same or do they look different.?????

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Yes.^_^

victor yes to which yes same or yes different hahahah

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

that's Victor for you Mona! :-p

Thanks Robin, that's good to know.

I finally have sorted through my pictures from last weekend. I thought that I would share some of them because it was a few colorful days among many dreary ones, and because so many folks don't relize that there's two completely different climates to Oregon.

The first evening was just a grey and dull as any other. But the second evening was a beautiful yellowish sunset.

Thumbnail by redchic01
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

very pretty

so we headed out all bundled up for a walk.

Thumbnail by redchic01

Thanks! I was just loving being out in the sun, didn't matter that I was dressed like the michellan man! BTW... those are my two nephews.

looking back the other direction.

Thumbnail by redchic01

There's an old house and barn in the pic above. This is a close up of them. Believe it or not, the neighbors still use that barn!

Thumbnail by redchic01

Some of you might recognize these two!

They decided that they needed a break I guess.

This message was edited Jan 16, 2009 7:42 PM

Thumbnail by redchic01
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

beautiful shots..... makes me want to be there

The next evening was a beautiful red sunset. But, we didn't get to set out until it was a little later.

Thumbnail by redchic01

I really like the climate on the west side of Oregon. But, Sunrise and sunset, the east side definitely has the better views. Just a few weeks ago they had about 4 feet of snow. We went over there for a belated christmas since we couldn't make the trip over the holiday.

this view made bundling up worth it!

Thumbnail by redchic01

And the last one in the tour of my sisters driveway in Eastern oregon. Unfortunately a little to dim for a clear shot. My sister and youngest nephew.

Thumbnail by redchic01
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

don't need a clear shot.... it's an awesome photo

thanks Allison! My sister would love that!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Redchic, What glorious photographs. You made me want yellow to envelope me. Enough of this white stuff. Thanks for the amble in the gold. Patti

Sure thing Patti! I was hoping that it might lift some spirits over your way. I've been listening to the weather news diligently for the last couple of days and thinking of and wishing for warmer weather for everyone over there. Hopefully this could snap breaks soon.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the tour of your visit to your sister's place. I love the golden colors. The pics remind me of the garden tours of different DGers on the PNW forum, like Tills, Pixydish and can't forget Laurie's over in the UK. Those are some awesome gardens. Makes me long for spring.

I agree whole heartedly! My "tour" could never compare to theirs though! that's for certain. If the rest of the Northeast folks are feeling left out of what were talking about and want a break from the cold... this is what some of the PNWest folks have been doing during the dull winter so far. These are "tours" of peoples gardens and gardens in planning. when one person finishes a tour, someone else begins theirs

These are the most recent ones.

Pixy's.... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/933399/

this is Laurie's... the most recent. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/939351/

Tilly's... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/926806/

don't quite in the thread when you hit random discussion, we're just giving the "tour guide" more to time collect more pics and tour info. :-p Really!

those hyperlinks should work now.

This message was edited Jan 17, 2009 3:09 AM

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Great shots as usual RC
What a beautiful area.

Good morning JoAnn. Thanks. I agree... the east side of Oregon definitely has some beatiful sunrise and sunsets

Now back to bed for me. I fell asleep in the living room and just woke up to wonder in to bed. :-p

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Good night stay warm.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Mesmerizing shots RC. What a nice warm feeling they convey. The absence of trees is very unsettling though some how. Seems like the glow could go on forever. Thanks for sharing it with us out here where everything is still white and sterile and cold.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Gorgeous shots, Shelly! Beautiful skies out there. Lucky you.

Thomaston, CT

Eastern Oregon is very prairie-like---when I think of Oregon, I think of tall trees--the only part I remember, although we did go through the eastern part on the train from Chicago to Seattle, then down the coast to LA. Just beautiful sky photos--warmed me up a bit!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Lovely skies!!!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

love sunsets - very nice pic's shelly

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Very nice pictures, Shelly!

I wonder if Alberta is having a chinook, now that we are all frozen.

Stay warm, everyone!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Did anybody check out the links Shelly gave for PNW gardeners tours? I go there regularly (cuz my son lives out that way) and there are some great pics. Pull up a chair and a cup a joe or whatever your beverage of choice and enjoy.

I'm working on the cup o joe now Jan!

Thanks to all! I'm glad that they were able to warm some of you up!

Ngam, the lack of trees is a little unsettling to me as well. It takes a while to get used to it over there.

Robin, so on that train trip you got to see the two completely different sides to Oregon, if you went through during the daytime. I've taken that same train ride that you did from Seattle to LA. It's quite a pretty trip actually. On a couple of occasions I've taken the train from here over to my sisters instead of driving, I actually kind of like it. Oh, I forgot to mention that when you took that train trip... at some point you were about a 1/3 mile from my place!! I'm guessing that it was about 4 hours after you went through Portland. Once you've gone through the Willamette Valleay (past Salem and Eugene) and actually begin going up, up, up! About midway up the ascent through the Cascades and you were likely crossing the river that runs behind me several times within a short stretch of time. Sound familiar? Strangely enough i can't catch the Amtrak from anywhere near here though. I have to drive to Eugene to actually get on it.

Victor, I have to drive almost 6.5 hours for those sunsets! :-p

This message was edited Jan 17, 2009 10:14 AM

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Great pics RC.

Mourning dove in the snow...saying "waddya say?"

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Oregon is such a beautiful state. Thanks for sharing RedChic. Well I didn't wander around in my shorts today, I seeded in my short instead ^_^ Headed for the greenhouse and 2 flats for the closet. More pics tomorrow.

Thumbnail by dahlianut

Sure thing Jen and Dahlia!

Dahlia, what sort of temps are you getting up your way right now?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Chinooking redchic. 50s-60s at the moment. Shorts and gumboots for the snow ^_^. Reality rears its ugly head mid-week sigh then probably back to freezing my face off. It's been brutally cold with the wind chills for the last month or so (-5-10F eek!) We have lots of snow for the first time in many years so my babies are warm though ^_^

well finally a break in the weather climbing to 17F tomorrow yes can finally take my dog for a week he has been crancky of week stuck in the house

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Jo Ann, I got some paperwhites one year, and I couldn't stand the smell. Made me think of cat pee.

Shelly, the pics you took in eastern Oregon are fantastic. That's the part of Oregon I like. I love all the wide open spaces. Ever since having lived in Northwestern Nevada for 17 years I have loved wide open spaces much better than forests. BTW, your sisters dogs are beauties. They were raised together as pups, weren't they? and I don't think they're full grown yet. They look like they get along well. I think the skies out there are so much more beautiful because they are more open, without trees to obstruct the view. I remember the gorgeous sunrises/sunsets in Arizona. The colors were so soft there in the desert, and I think it's because there are a lot of beige colors, whereas here there are darker colors from all the trees.

Mona, I went for a walk with my Dad and our dogs yesterday, even though it was only 17F out. Not too much of a breeze, thank God. It was nice to get out. Dogs were getting cabin fever. They got to play in the snow today. We got a couple inches or so. Looks very pretty right now.

Karen

mine was getting lost in the snow since he is so short he kept on jumping and I would only see his black nose it was funny when he came in he slept by the fireplace for two hours it was nice warm and quiet lol

Thanks Karen. If you like wide open spaces, as you do, Eastern Oregon is definitely the place for you then!! Lots of open spaces over there. However, I miss the greenery for all the hours in between the sunrise and sunset there, which are definitely beautiful. I also love to watch the lightening storms there. Flashes all across the sky, and you can see it coming for miles. On the west side, you can only here it coming before it gets to you. Although, when it strikes, the mountain usually lights up. You're right about the dogs on all topics! Yes, they are siblings that have always been together, they were just 6 mo. old when that pic was taken last weekend so they still have some growing to do. And they definitely get along very well. They're nearly inseparable.

Dahlia. your weather sounds great...... right now that is. 50 and 60 deg weather with snow is just odd, but sort of fun in a weird way.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi RC Dogs were sweet together.
I do preferr your area of O for constant living.
The treeless landscape is as you say ,hard to take for long periods of time.

Good Morning JoAnn. That's definitely true. The upside is that possible to go from the ocean and temperate forest with mountains on one side of the cascades to the the flat land with the horizons as far as you can see in a few hours. One could make a day trip out of it. Although, I don't think that is all that unusual. It just sounds interesting that it could be done in such a small distance.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.