CLOSED: Fall Piggy Swap # 10

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/929816/

While all our regular spots are filled up, we still have room for any storm surviors!

A special welcome to any whose gardens fell victim to storm, flood, or fire... please join us by posting in this thread and by posting a "wish list" over on the lists thread. We have lots of seeds we would share with our storm victim gardens. All you need to do is ask for anything you see.

Seed Swap Lists can be found here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/923393/

Swap Guidelines can be found here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/922609/

With holding this swap between two major holidays, alot of folks be will be traveling and doing things to get ready for the holidays and sending their seeds in early.

To save from havign to go all the way back to the first post, when you get ready to send your seeds in, here is what to do. If you have questions, please ask or dmail me.

THINGS TO PACK UP FOR THE SWAP:
1. Your seeds. added: Since I need to send back as many packs as people send in, I need some help counting. LOL! On the baggies that are tagged for certain people, I would like the number of packs you've enclosed for that person written on the slip of paper with their name so that I don't have to go rooting through to count them.

2. Return address label (or piece of paper I can tape) to use on bubble mailer you send to me. I have plenty of labels, just make sure I have your mailing address.

3. Postage to return your mailer to you. If you have 100 packs, use postage for 13 oz. and consider sending me a little box instead of an envie.) added: If you want extra packs back, really, really consider that box! And pay attention to the postage amount you send me as it will cost more than what you sent in. Do not be stingy on this postage. I have plenty of small boxes, for those that will need their seeds going back in one

4. A sheet of paper with your:
1. name,
2. address,
3. email,
4. DG name,
5. Number of seed packs sent, and number of seed packs wanted back
6. Description of your garden, and yourself as a gardener and grower from seed (new, middle, experienced.)

7. 10 things you want (no limit for IKE / GUSTAV folks, though can't guarantee how many will be sent back),

8. 10 things you don't want, and

9. a list of the seeds you are sending of all the loose packs that are not earmarked for another player.

5. Addendum: Due to the sheer volume, these envelopes or boxes will need to be sent back to you with delivery confirmations. Also, since postage & confirmation costs have gone up, and since I may also need a few extra bucks for more postage either for storm survivors or for other participants who may unwittingly not have sent in enough; or for larger envies or boxes than folks send, let's each send in $1.50 in addition to return postage. I will return any extra postage that isn't needed in each person's box or envie.

SPECIAL NOTE: Any of those participants listed on the Storm Victims List.. PLEASE DO NOT SEND ANY POSTAGE. No postage is needed from you. We hope you enjoy our gift to you and may you once again have a nice garden.

Thumbnail by starlight1153
Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Ok, only took four tries to get it up, but here we are little oinkers. Hope ya all gettign nice and big and fat. LOl Now I want pork chops for dinner. heheheheheh

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

^_^

Still trying to get this puter to recognize all the goodies.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Fudge!! Did someone say FUDGE?!

Uggg, that reminds me, i was supposed to bake cookies today.

Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

Can someone point me to the address where I send my envie? I am having trouble finding it, and I am getting ready to print out my labels..Thanks!!!!

A

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

http://davesgarden.com/address_exchange/index.php?letter=s

Look for Star.... though you do have to be listed in teh Addy Exchange to view it.

if you are not... Dmail Star for her addy.

Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks! I knew it was somewhere..I just couldn't figure it out:)

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

If aomeone has chocolate Daisy I would love some.

Critter If you have any I would love some of the fish pepper and the tomatoe. I can wait till you have more even if next year.

Oink Oink Oink Does any one have any Pineapple Sage
Salvia elegans I sure would love some seeds. I love this plant.

This piggy has got very plump. ~( )(:@)

Thanks to everyone who participated. I am truly Blessed by this. I am going to have a gorgeous yard. It has been 3 yrs since Rita and it was not fixed up all the way due to DH passing away. Now Ike decided to make an even bigger mess. I hope to have some seeds next year to share. This has been a lot of fun and I have made many more new friends. And of course my back side won't fit in my desk chair from spending so much time gorging myself at the trough. But I am proud of it. hehehe

Is there anyone listing more seeds???? hahahaha

Abundant Blessings to everyone who participated even the other storm survivors.

This message was edited Dec 9, 2008 1:15 AM

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Sandy -- lemme rummage thru my basket.

and since i wasn't looking for it, i have no idea if anyone offered it [ though i will do a quick search in the LISTS]

if i still have some... i will keep a few seeds and give the rest to you.

Terese

Columbia, SC(Zone 7b)

ilovejesus99, I have pineapple sage that I just bought bought, but no seeds (it was out of bloom before I got it) . Remind me in the spring and I will send you some cuttings if I you have not located seeds by then.
And next year I will have seeds of that to share with y'all.

What is this Chocolate Daisy that folks are talking about?
Lorie in SC

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Thank you Pyromomma, I love Pineapple Sage. I can't remember what the Chocolate Daisy is exactly but have heard alot about it.

Terese,

Thank you. I don't remember seeing it, but I have oinked since then. hehe. If it was not the common name then I missed it.

No matter how long I make my piggy body it comes out short and squatty. squealllllllllllll Star was that my pork chops? Is that why I am not as big as I made me??? tsk tsk

edited for typos.

This message was edited Dec 9, 2008 1:24 AM

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

ILovejesus.. I still have a few pineapple sage seeds can send ya some.

One the boxes all get here and go through the extras and still have stuff in my fridge will spend a coupel of days making last piggy calls before boxes will all be sealed and mailed.

Have fun today all, see ya tonight, off for a round of finals. uggggggg.

(bestest fairy)Tempe, MI(Zone 5b)

I made the jump!!:)

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

LOL.. Big jump for such a little Fairy : )

(bestest fairy)Tempe, MI(Zone 5b)

it was-I am tired and think I pulled a muscle!!LOL

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Good morning everyone - has anybody started sowing seeds yet? So far I have started monkshood (acontis?) and acanthus (bear's breeches).

's-Gravenhage, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

OOOWWW, you're fast!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Lorie -- here is the link to Choc Daisy http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1605/

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Seandor -- I haven't begun yet... though i have a few that i wanted to get an early jump on... just havent had the time yet.
we had a good snow [and certainly cold weather] to stick them in... but raining now... for about the last 10 hrs. still snow on the ground... just soupier.

as for the Chocolate Daisy ... it was in Critter's list in scientific name, but then, they wre just brought up in conversation, and that is how 'this' all got started.

but -- after misplacing the seeds in my pocket.... i did find them and put them in your piggy baggie.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I got a bunch of seeds in the mail yesterday .... anyone need some "Love in a Puff"?

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Still here!

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

I'm going to try and get my seeds in the mail tomorrow. I said try! lol

I sowed poppy seeds last month. I have a few sitting to the side to start this weekend. Then I will wait for the piggy seeds to get here to do the rest.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Terese, do you pinch your Chocolate Daisy (Berlandiera lyrata) plants? I absolutely loved the scent (like a freshly unwrapped chocolate Easter bunny) and the sweet yellow blooms, but the plant's habit wasn't anything to write home about... rather straggly. That's not a problem, as it just meanders around other stuff nearby, but I wonder if it will improve. I'm hoping they survive the winter here... I'm a little colder than they'd like, I think, but I've got a couple of plants in mini raised beds sheltered alongside big boulders.

I did get some seeds, but I'm not confident about them. I think most of the larger nicer seeds dropped off before I got them, so I've got a lot of not so good looking ones. I may bag some blooms next year.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Jill -- i germinated some seeds last year... [20 to be exact] and 1 germinated. I planted it in the fall, as did not get a chance over the summer. then late Fall, i photographed a plant [there wasn't much to it but leaves] - right where i stuck the plant tag, and had it ID'ed [in the ID forum] as a weed.... BUT there was another plant in front of that one...but not much left to take a photo of... so i have to wait til Spring to see what 'pops' up.

so, basically ... no - i haven't yet, pinched them.... but i do not pinch any of my plants.

I'm think Jan may be a good one to ask. Sorta surprised i did not see her in here, or maybe she has too many seeds... i know she bought more in that last Co-Op.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Critter,
May I please try some of the Knautia macedonia (deep red-burgundy blooms). It looks interesting...

Thanks!
Genna

Posted on the old thread - because I didn't realize until AFTER I posted that ya'll had moved....LOL - ya'll are a hard bunch of piggies to keep up with! ^_^

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Aw Seandor, you just reminded me I have some monkshood down in my shade garden I was going to collect seeds off of and it's raining, just pouring down, I wouldn't have time to dry them out even if they are ready :( Gosh I hate that lol I've tried to grow them several times from seed but I have no luck :(

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Oh, I forgot, Star could I have some of these please:

1 Roma II Bush Beans
Brussel Sprouts Long Island Improved

I'm going to try some veggies in my flower bed for this year, I'm tired of making a spot for them then they don't do well I'm hoping to have more luck with them in my beds lol

Does anyone have any Broccoli left by any chance? These are just last minute decisions :)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Genna, I'll put you down for it.

Does anybody want an easy grower that's covered in yellow blooms all summer? That Helianthus I posted at the bottom of the last thread was my best ever mislabeled seed (it's the one that was "Too Tall To Be Chocolate Daisy" or "Not Chocolate Daisy" when I first shared seeds). I have been sending out quite generous packs of seeds the last couple of years, and I think it's been shared around a lot, so maybe everybody already has it. It does get tall (4 ft), but it's a great background plant and would also be a good perennial in an area where you sow zinnia seeds.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I'll let you know if I have any success - I am using the coffee filter treatment - you know, put the seeds in a damp coffee filter then fold the coffee filter and place in a zip-lock baggie, and place at the right temperature. So the monkshood has already had 8 weeks in the fridge, now the seeds are surface sowed on seed starter and are in the basement on a heat pad and are enclosed in a vented plastic container.

The Bears breeches apparently are easy to germinate at temperatures between 50 and 59 degrees . . . we will see. It's actually too cold here for them, but I am hoping that up against the house on the south side will create a zone 7b mini-climate. This side is quite shady in the summer . . . I hope this works!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Jill -- I'll take some "Too tall for Choc Daisies" seeds. what the heck, what's another plant.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Critter do thy hold the zinnias up by any chance? lol I hate my zinnias falling over :) I have some zowie zinnia seeds to plant this year and they would really go with those and they are going to be planted in the field where I have my grasses at so they have plenty of room to spread if they want to :)

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Jill,
You talked me into it, just like tcs said, what the heck, what's another plant. I would love to try your "Too tall for Choc Daisies" and your little wild tomato vine you were talking about previously. My little granddaughter would be thrilled, she loves to pick my cherry tomatoes.

thank you.

Browns Mills, NJ(Zone 6b)

I'm trying to get this all organized before I send it in.

I put up a list with everyones seeds that match my cards. Will you all please check and make sure that it looks right to you? LMK if there is something wrong please. Here's the link so that you can make a quick check :-) Thanks! Andrea
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=5785329

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Star I would love some of your pineapple sage. I am one excited little Piggy. squeeeeeeaaaaallllllllllllll all you beautiful angels among the beautiful flower seeds. Thank you all so very much. I am very excited about all these beautiful seeds I am getting.

Edmond, OK(Zone 7a)

Jill, do you think that the Love in a Puff vine would do well with MG's? I'll give you a double oink for them.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

chelle -- do you want my Love in a Puff?

Edmond, OK(Zone 7a)

Terese - I'd love your love in a puff! I've oinked at Jill a lot these last couple days. :-)

Edmond, OK(Zone 7a)

It's a vine right? I seem to get Love in a Mist and Love in a Puff confused. All this love floating around...... I'm wanting the vine. :-)

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

When i googled it, it showed a vine.... something i do not have room for.
so - it's yours.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/648/

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yes, "Love in a Puff" is a vine (Cardiospermum something, LOL). Love in a Mist is Nigella something. Aren't I getting good at these latin names? LOL

If we have a strong storm in late summer, the Heliopsis sometimes falls over and sprawls a little, but the new blooms still seem to end up pointing up & out anyway, so I don't try to stake or cage it. Zinnias would probably grow up through and around it, but whether they'd mutually hold each other up I'm not sure... I just think they'd look good together, and I'm going to sow some tall zinnias around mine this spring.

Just so you know them when you see them, their label now says "Oxeye, Orange Sunflower" and Heliopsis helianthoides var. scabra.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.