Some thoughts and prayers for Java please

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Critter, when you told us about Blake, I couldn't help but think, "Is this what we have to look forward to with Java?" This d%%$#^ cancer.

Happy, it would have been so much worse if she hadn't been here with me. You know, even her surgeries went better if I went back and stayed with her until the anesthetic took effect. She obviously felt like everything was okay as long as I was there.

Betty, Java loved everybody. Well, except the vet. LOL She didn't like that man with the needles at all. He was so gentle with her and always called her his girlfriend and she always growled and barked at him. Last time, he called her Miss Congeniality. LOL

He tried the first couple of times to give her a treat after giving her a shot or taking blood and she wouldn't take it - looked at him as if to say, "Don't be trying to make up to me with goodies after sticking me with that needle! I've got your number, Bub."

Susan and Critter, I'm so sorry for bringing back the raw memories for you two. Yes, loving them less really isn't an option. They bring so much joy into our lives, they deserve our tears.

BTW, she couldn't have gotten better care. Her prognosis at the first wasn't good - in the category where 85% have reoccurance within a few weeks to a very few months. She managed to go far beyond that before there was any reoccurance.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hart, I don't mind crying with you. Memories are good, even when tinged with loss. Blake just got a 1-2 punch when he picked up that kidney infection... we were hoping for an extra year or so, like you had with Java. I'm glad you got some "bonus time" with her! Thank goodness for excellent vets.

I'm glad also that I got to meet Java. Such a sweet girl!

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm so very sorry to read about the passing of Java. She is not in any more pain. She is not suffering. She has crossed over to Rainbow Bridge, where she is at peace.

"Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.... "

http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ya know we love you....big hugs...

Crozet, VA

Chantell's previous message says about all that I can say. Oh Hart, don't even try to stop the tears. It brings a smile to my face to think of you and Java together. I had heard you say before that she so wanted to please you and that says so much in itself. She couldn't have shown you her love for you in any better way. I too remember meeting Java at your home when attending the plant swap. She was definitely a very fine lady. She left you with a legacy in
Jello. If I could be there with you I would hold you tight and let my shoulder receive each and every tear that you shed.

Thank you to catmad and Shirleymd for the poems. I will be printing them off so that I will have a copy. Hart, you will be in my heart today.

Ruby

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

oh hart, I'm so sorry. I've got a lump in my throat and tears pouring down my face. I was following the thread on her progress and it sounded so optimistic, what a shock...

My dogs have been my faithful, loving friends every day that I've been blessed with their companionship. I lost Ashley in late October. She was never in ill health and never in any pain, just getting old. One morning, as she was laying at my feet while I was on the phone with a co-worker, she went to sleep and never woke up. Totally unexpected, but I was so thankful that I was there and knew for sure that her passing was incredibly peaceful.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Java, but I feel like I knew her thru your posts and all those wonderful pictures. Sharing your sorrow here in Lucketts.... terri

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thinking of you this morning, Hart, and sending a warm *hug*

Terri, I was so sorry to hear about your Ashley, but you're right... it's a blessing if we were able to be right there with them.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Terri, I'm so sorry to hear about Ashley.

Thank you all so much for your sweet messages and kind thoughts. It has really helped me make it through this awful week.

I don't know if I told you, but Marshall made her a nice grave up by my old vegetable garden, right next to where we always played chase the stick. She'd like it up there.

This will be our first Saturday dinner without her. Joyce comes over for dinner every Saturday and that was Java's big treat - spending hours on Grandma's lap and sitting under the table while we ate waiting for treats.

Jello will have to do stand in lap duty tonight. I'm sure she won't mind, she never did get enough lap time with Grandma. I know it's going to be hard for Joyce tonight.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'll be thinking of all of you. I still find myself in tears sometimes with Eliot in my lap, because it feels almost, but not quite, like cuddling with Blake. Eliot doesn't seem to mind, and neither will Jello.

*hugs*

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Prayers to include dear Joyce. My Teddy (1st Rottie I had) - always walked beside me with his head beneath my right hand...I guess just a habit. Funny how you miss simple things like that. Then along came sweet Amber - nothing at all like her uncle (Teddy)...yet after having her a few months (I got her when she was 9 months old) - I'll never forget walking down the stairs to my room when all the sudden I felt a head nudge the underside of my hand...it was Amber...not sure if those ended up being happy, sad, or both tears...she's done it ever since. Maybe it's a Rottie thing??? Sure Jello will be more then happy to step up and be the center of attention now...sweet girl. Love and hugs.

This message was edited Dec 20, 2008 8:58 PM

Crozet, VA

Dear Diane - Please tell Joyce that I said hello. I chatted a bit with her at Becky's plant swap and got a real kick out of the t-shirt that she wore that day. I am glad that the two of you are friends and can share the pain of the loss, maybe it won't be too heavy for you by sharing it.

You were one of the first people to reach out with a hand of kindness to me when I first began coming to Dave's a few years ago now. Even though it has been a while since we have spoken, I hold you in very high regards. As I think of you, I see you walking around with a big smile on your face. I know that isn't happening at the moment and that is well understood. Always in my mind, you have a big smile across your face. What a dear woman you are.

Rest and know that you are very much loved.

Ruby

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Critter and Chantell, I know exactly what you mean. I already find myself with these little starts - that's not quite Java. Jello has never been as cuddly as Java and even the physical feel is different because she's so much bigger. I call her my moosey girl.

Next time it makes you cry, I hope you'll feel a big virtual hug from me.

Heh, I guess I do smile a lot, Ruby. Not so much this week but it's getting better. Being so busy trying to get caught up with Christmas stuff is helping. I finally got my tree put up last night but not decorated yet.

Was Joyce wearing her Java the granddog shirt? You know what I ordered for her for Christmas the week before? A sweatshirt, mug and keychain with both Java and Jello on it because she often said she needed a granddog shirt with both of them. I had considered sending them back but I'm going to go ahead and give them to her. I know she'll cry but she'll enjoy having them too. I did rush out and get her a necklace and earrings so she'll have at least one present that won't make her cry.

These have their actual picture on it and not a generic pit bull photo like the Java shirt.

Off to the grocery store today. I'm looking forward to getting out of the house for a while. Sending all of you love and hugs today just because you're all so wonderful.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Hart, you're pretty wonderful too, always there to look up some really heplful information. I hope you have an extra special holiday. Getting out will do you a world of good. Whenever I'm unhappy, I schedule a playdate with some toddlers. They are great for chasing the blues away.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Joyce is very lucky to have you in her life, Diane...always thinking of others. Enjoy your errand day...no rushing...enjoy the decorations and holiday music!!! Love Ya!!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Toddlers sound like a great way to chase away the blues, Stormy. LOL It was nice to get out of the house for the day. One of the joys of country living - it wasn't a mob scene at the local stores. I guess everyone was shopping at the bigger stores in the bigger towns.

No toddlers but I saw the most adorable little baby all dressed up like Santa. She was maybe 10-12 months old, so wide eyed and perky. I told her she was the cutest Santa I'd ever seen.

At least I can think about Java today without bursting into tears. Been busy trying to get caught up with Christmas stuff and I keep remembering how much Java enjoyed Christmas. It's sad that she didn't live long enough to make it through the holiday. She always remembered that those packages under the tree meant she had presents and I didn't dare put anything in gift bags because she knew her presents were in gift bags. Her nose went straight into any gift bags looking for her goodies. She never touched anything in a wrapped box.

I just keep telling myself it's a blessing she won't have to go through any more surgeries or scary visits to the vet.

Among the things I ordered with the sweatshirt were some Christmas cards with pit bulls on them. One has a picture of a pitty looking up at a starry sky and this is the poem inside:

The Creation

When God had made the earth and sky
the flowers and the trees,
He then made all the animals
the fish, the birds and bees.

And when at last He'd finished
not one was quite the same.
He said, "I'll walk this world of mine
and give each one a name."

And so He traveled far and wide
and everywhere He went,
a little creature followed Him
until it's strength was spent.

When all were named upon the earth
and in the sky and sea,
the little creature said, "Dear Lord,
there's not one left for me."

Kindly the Father said to him,
"I've left you to the end.
I've turned my own name back to front
and called you dog, My friend."

Author Unknown

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

OMG Diane...(tears) what a sweet, sweet poem...isn't it the truth?!?!?

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Here's the card if you'd like to see it. I was really pleased with the quality of the cards. Even the envelopes were better quality than Hallmark. You can personalize them too or make your own with your own photos.
http://www.zazzle.com/dog_is_god_spelled_backwards_card-137722849736600351

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Soooo sweet!!! Tad late now but I used a site to make some ornaments for DD from the girls - you know 1st Christmas type of one - these are porcelain with each of their pics (Chloe's from last year) on them....I was VERY happy with them! Had them within 7 days of ordering...they were ordered 2 weeks ago... Ha! Found the site: http://www.personalizationmall.com/

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

OMG, Hart, I'm so terribly sorry. I know I'm late - just saw this, so my apologies for not writing sooner.

I understand the anguish of losing a beloved dog and simply offer you a wish of comfort and peace. I'm thankful that you were able to be with her as she passed.

Big Hugs & Warm Healing Thoughts to you and your entire family,
w

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Thank you, Wrightie. Sending big hugs right back to you.

Crozet, VA

The poems and the cards are incredible. I don't normally send Christmas cards, but can see myself being very proud to send something such as this next year. Thanks for the link Hart. I am very glad that things are becoming easier for you with the passing days.

Ruby

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Watch their site for coupons, Ruby. When I ordered my cards, they had one good for $2 off anything, so the cards ended up only costing about $1 each or less. They stack coupons too and had a second coupon for reduced shipping.

If you do a search, you can find cards, t-shirts, etc. with just about anything - all kinds of dog and cat breeds, irises or daylilies,

It is getting easier. Actually, it was probably good that I had so much to do this week. But I still have times - you know how it goes.

One of our neighbor's dogs barked yesterday and I had such a start. It sounded just like Java. And tonight is going to be so sad. She won't be here to snuffle in gift bags for her presents.

I feel sorry for Jello too. She's obviously missing her too. I told her last night maybe we'll get her a little brother next summer.

The funny thing is, Java was always the guard dog, the one who barked if there was any guarding to be done, while Jello didn't. Last night, our neighbors were setting off fireworks, something they do here at Christmas, and Jello went to the back door and barked. It's like she knows it's now her job.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Atta girl...Jello knows it's time for her to do her thing!!! All ya gotta do is hollar, Diane...happy to help you go ISO of pit pups...just say the word...
Love ya

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Thanks, Chantell. Love ya too. Last night was so sad. We all missed Java so much. Jello got her head stuck in one of the gift bags with her presents and was walking around with a bag on her head, which brought some badly needed comic relief.

Joyce and I both bawled when she opened her sweatshirt and mug with the photo of Java and Jello but she liked them very much.

It was just a happy/sad day all day.

I'm sending big Christmas hugs to all of you today. BTW, please click the link in the Everyone Look at This thread and see the Christmas card I made for you all.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Hart, Merry Christmas! Time will heal, just remember the Happier times.
Hugs being sent your way.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.