Some thoughts and prayers for Java please

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

She has such as sweet face! Love her brindle markings!!

Hope you get some more rest!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

you could caption that second picture-" I know she's cute--You still love ME, right?"
Hope you're both well today- maybe some Benadryl and pain killer for everybody...

Shenandoah Valley, VA

The difference in the coloring is that Java is a regular brindle and Jello is a blue brindle. Java does have the prettiest striping in her coat. Makwa looks so much like her.

I think the expression is more like "this baby is a pain in the you know what and that's MY Lambie Pie she's chewing on dagnabit." LOL

Had to call the vet again last night. A couple of staples have pulled loose, probably from Java trying to lick at it because the swelling has gone down dramatically. We're off this afternoon to have the drains removed, so he can fix those staples at the same time.

She was really bad about trying to lick at her tummy yesterday evening. Aside from this, she's obviously feeling a lot better, walking better. She insisted on going upstairs last night and she's up there now, cosy under the blankets and sleeping soundly.

Here she is with Gus a couple of summers ago.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

And with Gus again.

Thumbnail by hart
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Hart, Those photos are great!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Thanks, Stormy. Her muzzle has gotten a lot whiter this year. Look at the photos above compared to the ones of her with Jello.

Good report from the vet. Everything is looking good. He removed the drains. It's still seeping a little but he said the incisions look good.

One of the vet techs had the cutest puppy - part Rhodesian Ridgeback. She was so sweet, kept licking my face. She was from a litter that was brought in to the local shelter that had been poisoned. One puppy didn't make it, they were able to save the rest and she's adopting this one.

If anyone wants a part Rhodesian, they had a really pretty male puppy still there. I think they must be part Great Dane - he was HUGE.

Crozet, VA

Really cute pictures Hart. Love the one with Java hugging Gus.

Sally, I was thinking the same thiing about possibly Hart taking some of the Benedryl at bedtime too. I used to take it everynight. I was told by a doctor that it was the safest sleeping aid there is. I haven't taken it for years, but probably need to purchase a bottle of the children's liquid and begin using my self. My sleeping schedule has been way off for several years now.

Hugs to Java and Jello. I love their names.

Ruby

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I've been an insomniac since I was a kid. It's really awful, isn't it? But this week the lack of sleep is from staying up keeping an eye on Java, not an inability to get to sleep. Plus getting up at 4 am to move from the sofa to the bed.

I guarantee you Benedryl wouldn knock me out like a light. LOL All of the antihistamines except Sudafed do that to me. When I'm really having trouble sleeping, though, I take a couple of 30 mg of gingko biloba. Works like a charm and I don't feel like I'm a zombie. You do have to make sure it won't interfere with any prescription meds you're taking.

Java got her name because I'm crazy about the Inkspots and because she's brown. Actually she's black and gold but the mix looks brown. (One of their songs is Java Jive, for those of you who aren't nuts about the Inkspots.) Jello because she was such a wiggly puppy, still is, who wags her entire body.

We both slept great last night. It really helps that she's going upstairs now.

This is Java the day we brought her home.

Thumbnail by hart
Crozet, VA

Aren't little puppies the cutest thing in the world?

Oh, I love that Jello was named that because she wiggles. How cute!!!!

Ruby

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Quick update. Her stitches have popped open again and she's back at the vet's today to get stitched up again. She was sick to her stomach last night and I think the vomiting caused them to pop open. That plus the fact that they had to clean up some dead skin last time and the skin is stretched in that spot.

She should be back home soon. It's going to take a while because they are running out of skin to stitch there.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

*ouch!* Poor Java. Hope she starts healing soon -- and quickly, so stitches will no longer be a concern!

oh my--will you be able to sleep without her at home?

Shenandoah Valley, VA

She's home and doing fine but dopey. They weren't planning on keeping her overnight, just figured it would take longer than doing it while we waited.

They put some fancy stitches in there that have a tube that takes the pressure off the sutures. I'm going to have to put the dreaded Elizabethan collar on her. Can't take any chances although she's been good because there isn't enough extra skin left to do this again.

BTW, don't think I'd have any trouble sleeping tonight if you hung me on a nail on the wall. I got about an hour's sleep last night. I was up with her all night. She's pretty bagged out too.

This message was edited Dec 15, 2008 3:15 PM

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Hart, thinking of Java and you. Lee

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Thanks, Lee and everyone.

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

Hart, I just found this and wanted you to know that I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Java looks like a sweet girl. I am glad she has you for a mom.

Susan
=^..^=

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Diane - sorry i've not been home...just saw the latest. Gracious....both of you....gentle hugs...and prayers....

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I can't tell you how badly I don't want to write this. Java died about two hours ago. I can't write more now.

OMG!! I am sooooo sorry! What happened?? Oh you poor thing.

Crying with you, my heart is broken.

Susan
=^..^=

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Oh Dear God Hart, I don't know what to say except I am so very sorry. You will be in my thoughts. I understand about your not being able to write at this time but when you do, might you be so kind as to write back and let me know how you are.
My deepest and heartfelt sympathies. Lee

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh, Diane, I'm just in tears. That's just heartbreaking. I know she couldn't have had a better nurse... or a better friend all these years. I'm so sorry.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

{{{{{Diane}}}}} So sorry to read this and so unexpected. Sheading some tears now. I'll be thinking of you today.
Chris

I am also so so so sorry.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh, I am so so so sad. Oh Diane, I didn't expect that; I was so optimistic. I am so sorry. Heartbroken. Took my breath away to read your post.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I'm okay. I'm sorry for not writing more. I cried for hours last night and this morning and I'm trying so hard to stop this crying. I'll write more when I can. Love and big hugs to all of you.

we'll be here when you're ready. So, so sorry.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

*Big Hugs*

Crying is OK... however we need to grieve at a time like this is OK, and we're crying right along with you.. Such a sweet and special pup. I know it seems monstrously unfair to lose her... she fought so hard to stay, and you fought for her too.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Diane...I can't see to type...I am so, so sorry, my friend...I simply don't know what to say - love, hugs, prayers

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Hart, Please accept my condolences. Sometimes life just seems so unfair.

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Oh, Diane. I was so hoping she would be with you for a time. It's so hard when you begin to hope, and the hope is snatched away. Please know I'll be thinking of you, and wishing you peace, and healing, in time.

Sad furry hugs,

margo

Lend Me a Puppy

I will lend to you, a puppy, God said.
For you to love her while she lives, and mourn her when she's dead.
Maybe for twelve or fourteen years, or maybe two or three.
But will you, 'till I call her back, take care of her for me?

She'll bring her charms to gladden you and, should her stay be brief
You'll always have her memory as solace for your grief.
I cannot promise she will stay, since all from earth return.
But there are lessons taught below I want this girl to learn.

I've searched the whole world over, in search of teachers true.
And from the folk that crowds life's land, I've carefully chosen you.
Now will you give her all your love, not think the labor vain?
Nor hate me when I come to take my puppy home again?

I fancied that I heard them say 'Dear Lord Thy Will Be Done'
For all the joys this furchild brings the risk of grief we'll run.
We'll shelter her with tenderness, we'll love her while we may.
And for the happiness we've known, forever grateful stay.

But should you call her back to you, much sooner than we planned,
We'll brave the bitter grief that comes, and try to understand.
If, by our love we've managed your wishes to achieve,
In memory of her whom we love, please help us while we grieve.

And when our cherished furchild departs this world of strife,
Please send yet another needing soul for us to love, for life.

Author Unknown

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

ALL: rec'd a dmail earlier from Diane...she's reading your posts & appreciates them greatly but isn't able to respond at this time. She did say she was feeling a little better today and that Jello has been a great comfort to her. Please continue to keep her in your prayers - that God would provide comfort...this is never easy - whether expected or not...as we all sadly know. Hugs to all.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Diane, I completely understand. When I first posted about saying goodbye to Blake, I said I wasn't sure when I'd be able to return to the thread to post, and I know everybody understood that.

You continue to be very much in my thoughts and prayers. I'm glad Jello is "stepping up" and trying her best to make you all feel better. I hope Gus will be OK... he and Java were such pals!

hart- I've been thinking of you, too. What a shocking sudden loss after weeks of worry. I can't think of anything to say. I hope for peace to come to you. We all loved Java, too. And caring thoughts for your friend Joyce who must be in pain too.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Hart - I just found out, and I am so sad for you - hugs, Bec

Shenandoah Valley, VA

What would I do without all of you? I so wish I had you all here to give you some big hugs in person.

I'm feeling much better today. Sorry to be such a wimp, I wasn't prostrate or anything, just crying every time I even thought about her and I hate that.

I really suspect that in the past few weeks the cancer had spread to her stomach. She's had three bouts of vomiting and the last one, which started two days before she died, was really bad - very violent vomiting and she couldn't keep anything down at all. The last night, even ice chips couldn't stay down.

I had no idea she was so bad off, though, neither did the vet. She spent a lot of the evening lying on the sofa with her head on my lap, crying every now and then. About 7 pm, she got down and kept whining to go into my office. That's always been her comfort spot - the place she goes when she doesn't feel well or is scared. I made her a nice bed on the floor with some blankets and that's where she was when she died.

It happened so fast - one minute she was lying there asleep, she gagged a couple of times and I jumped down onto the floor next to her. I was staying in there with her. She took a couple of breaths and then just stopped breathing.

I'm going to miss her so horribly. She was my shadow - followed me everywhere. But I know with this cancer she eventually faced more and more surgery and I'm glad she won't have to suffer through that.

She was such a good dog. I've never had a dog that would do anything you asked her to do. She never had any formal dog training - just what I taught her - but she wanted so much to make you happy by doing what you wanted.

And she was such a loving dog too. The only thing she loved more than running, she could run like a greyhound and just for the sheer joy of zooming, was cuddling with me or Marshall or Joyce or Gus or even Jello, that annoying whippersnapper.

I know there has to be a doggy heaven - that tonight some angel who had a bad day has the comfort of a little striped head snuggled on their lap, waiting patiently for an ear or tummy scratch, sighing with all the love in her heart just to be close.

Darn it, did it again. I really hate all this stupid crying.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm so sorry. You're not a wimp, and tears aren't wrong. You lost your furry best buddy... I know just how hard that is. One thing the vet told us with Blake was that the cancer in his liver could potentially cause a rupture without warning, and then he'd bleed out... he assured us this wouldn't be painful at all, and probably he'd just drift off. It sounds like something like that might have happened with Java. I'm glad you could be right there with her that last day. She knew how much you loved and cherished her, and you were right there when she needed you.

I'm crying too, because I know you miss Java like I miss Blake... it's hard to lose such a long-time devoted friend. But the only way to miss them less would have been to love them less -- not possible. I'm glad you and Jello and Gus and Marshall and Joyce can all try to comfort one another. We'll all keep holding you close in our hearts, too!

It's Soooo not stupid. I miss my Pepper Girl the same way. We love them so very much and can't help but miss them when they go. And the wonderful memories they give us of how they loved us back.

OK, now I am crying again too. Thank you for sharing how she passed. I am so very glad you were there with her. I know she was too.

Hugs and comforts,
Susan
=^..^=

Kilmarnock, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh, Diane, with tears streaming down my face I send you all the virtual hugs possible. I remember meeting Java at the get together at your house and what a sweet loving soul she was. My heart breaks for all of you.

God bless,

Betty

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Hart: I'm at least happy that Java she died at home, with you next to her. That is a huge blessing.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Hart, I know that it will be difficult but I hope that you can experience some joy this holiday season with your family & friends (furry & otherwise) and be thankful for the wonderful years you had with Java. Your other furries will appreciate the extra loving you give while they miss their buddy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.