CLOSED: Fall Frenzy Piggy Swap #4

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

A tip for Salvia seed savers...

The following is true for a lot of Salvias but there are some exceptions.
When the seeds are still developing and green the calyx (little cup that holds the flower)
will be pinched closed on the end vertically. It's not sealed, just pinched where you can't really see inside the calyx. When the seed is ready the calyx will start to open. At first the calyx will still be green, but the slit will widen and you can peek a little and see the seeds inside. If you see brown or black seeds inside that's good. The calyx will continue to open and dry to a tan color. You have to watch Salvia seeds closely because once the calyx fully dries, the seeds fall out very easily.

Some Salvias don't get a "pinched" calyx so you can just peek inside and see if they are brown or black.

Hope that helps some. :)

Browns Mills, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks Danita! :-)

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

If anyone needs the butterfly host plant Pussy Toes/ Antennaria .sp. then let me know. Sorry, I don't know the species but it is native here in GA. Silver-green leaves, pussy toe flowers, leaves stay low, flowers under 1'. Not showy but kind of cute. I've read that the American Painted Lady butterfly uses Antennaria as a host.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Danita, do you have seeds for Antennaria or the plant? You know I want some of it. I have one plant from the spring. I don't know if weeds choked it out or not. I can't seem to find it. :(

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Deborah,

It's seeds. Check the seeds that I sent with the Fairy. I'm pretty sure I put some in there. I know to send anything butterfly your way! :)

I'll see if I can get you some plants at the next trade if you remind me. I don't have them in my yard but there is some on a property my parents are selling. That's where the seed came from.

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

I added some new seeds this morning. Look toward the bottom of all my listed seeds.
toofew

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Toofew, I did quite a bit of research when looking for Jacob Kline seeds last year and from everything I read they are just not seed producers. I went through my entire patch last year and found 4 stinkin' seeds... which I then lost. Grrr! LOL.

(bestest fairy)Tempe, MI(Zone 5b)

I have about 1/2 my list ready, will get it up when I get home:) so about 4-5pm today:)

Simpsonville, SC(Zone 7b)

Lala - I'm sure I can get some more celosia! I've got you down, and will shake down the plant for them today :)

This message was edited Nov 17, 2008 7:49 AM

Ok, shouldn't have looked...

Toofew - can I have the Anagalis monelli ( Blue Pimpernel )? It's absolutely gorgeous!

Oinking all the way....

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Terese, I didn't realize Calendula (English Marigold) would flower all summer! If you've got plenty, I'd like to try a few.

Someone posted a pic or link to a pic of a plant with red and black seeds suited to using as beads, but now I can't find it. Who was that, and do you still have seeds?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

gemini --- heavens.... i peeked this morning... still blooming. we got our first dusting of snow, been in the 30's all week, cold - gloomy ... still blooming.

so -- you betcha... got'em in your baggie.

Jill -- i did see that Purple Celosia last nigh... purrrrty. Now i'm on a quest.
I had completely forgotten about the Photo Contest ... i thought i had another day. OH well, i got thru about half the categories.

I voted this am-so many pretty pics!!!

Stacey,

GO TO BED !!!

What dya mean go to bed?? It is 8:30am here....

OK. I'll go to bed, then.
Nap time, at least.

Edmond, OK(Zone 7a)

Toofewanimals - can I have some Malva sylvestris ‘Mystic Merlin’, Dianthus ‘Amazon Neon Rose’ & Morning Glory 'Rose Silk' . Oink oink!
~chele

Can I go to bed then? Ache ache, sniffle, moan... I know the flu shot can not possibly give you anything, but it has awfully suspicious timing this year...

Edmond, OK(Zone 7a)

karen - I hate to tell you this, but DH & I got flu shots this year and we both got the full blown flu - worst I've ever had. Kids did not get it so I'm blaming it on the flu shot.

Edmond, OK(Zone 7a)

Just realized klstuart that I called you Karen........ whenever I see klstuart I think of a friend of mine...Karen Stuart. lol. So I was talking to you even if you're not a "karen". hee hee

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Gemini it is me with the Lady bug red/balck seed. Please check out my list page and read the warning. They make a cute plant, but ar every very posionous an dneed to be handled properly, there is no cure for the posion that they make.

Kl lot so ffolks get the flu symtoms from the shots, that so that if ya get the real deal your body can make some antibodies. Hope ya feel better.

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

I think the flu shot can give you the flu. Maybe not as strong a strain as you'd get it otherwise though? My kids both got the vacine but I didn't and I think the trip to the doctor's office gave me a cold - I'm sneezing and my nose is running : ( I hope you feel better soon : )

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks, star- I believe I would like some. I have a friend who does beading and makes jewelry and I'm thinking I should try those and the Job's tears. I grow lots of poisonous plants anyway, like castor beans, monk's hood, brugs, helebores, and digitalis- no children around, and the animals seem to instinctively leave toxic things alone.

's-Gravenhage, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

Ehhh, almost lost a cat to a poinsetia.......

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Will mark ya down Gemini. Just liek to make sure folks understand that they way worse than what we normally handle. Didn't follow th eadvice to ear glove s myself and had to call CGCon myself as from handling so many seeds and I put seed sin my one hand and plant from there and powerder form some of the broken seeds got in h ecenter of my palm and started a big nasty rash adn some bleeding when the skin was cracking. Nothing having to file a report on yourself and askign for help on treatment.

Ya lot sof folks use them for crafts and such , they are cute just liek little ladybugs and the plants themselves look kind like a mimosia when growing up.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Ooohh...I'll be extra careful with those! Geez...the hand rash sounds awful! I keep latex gloves available, I'll be sure to employ them.

Tuink, uuuggg...that's scary about your cat! Was that a house cat? My indoor only cats have often chewed houseplants- I was careful then, but now that we're on a farm and far from the road, they all go in and out and none of them bother the plants anymore. I think they get enough natural grass that they're not interested.

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

I just updated my requested list on the other thread. I have a nagging feeling that I'm missing someone, so if you asked me for something in the last couple of days please check to be sure I marked you down.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

mygypsyrose, I just cleaned some campanula 'cherry bells' from your want list for you :)

Critter, I would love to have some 'Nepeta cataria, Catnip' is this one good for the kitties? lol I have one out there and they don't pay any attention to it and I just got ' blue wonder' this summer but it says it's not for kitties.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Wow! I will never catch up with these threads! Good thing I am trying to find homes for seeds - not acquire a bunch right now . . . I would be soooo far behind!

Anyway, will there be a spring piggy swap? By then I should have sorted out more seeds - I really want to start from scratch next year, so I want to get rid of all extras.

for instance, I have about five packages of commercial petunias, well really, I can't use all of those seeds, so assuming I don't find homes for them (and the rest of all my seeds) in my own neighourhood, I will have more stuff to find homes for then.

so . . . will there be a spring swap?

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

I don't know about a spring swap Michaela, but I do know that both Star and I are looking for petunias.
;-)

LOL

Browns Mills, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks LeBug!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Okay - La_la Jane, shoot me an dmail in Feb to remind me. :-)

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

You are welcome mygypsyrose :)

La are you looking for a lot of petunias like Star, I still have some purple ones with veins, there should be plenty in there of the red.

Whoever wants petunias these red ones I have are beautiful dark red and held up to what rains we had much better than any I've had before, I bought them just to get seed off of them then wished I had bought more, I even brought the pot in for more seeds lol That's not working out too well though lol I've got 7 healthy trades for them left :)

LeBug, hmm, red petunias sound great! I'm always growing pink and purple...! Could you toss a pack in my trough? Hopefully next year I'll have some petunia seed for everyone.

Collected a little wave petunia seed for the first time this year, and want to see how they turn out before giving it to unsuspecting soles... besides, I mixed up all the colors ;)

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

LeBug, may I have a red petunia? I have some purple and some really pretty purple & white ruffled petunias that I am going to post.

lea
red petunias please and thanks
pam sue

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

LOL it cracks me up. All you've got to do is pimp a seed a little and the crowd goes wild.

I have purple Lea, thanks. I'm not really looking for mass quantities (I think Star is though) just a nice variety.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

lol that's easy to do mixing up the colors, I for one can see how you do that, I just planted mine seperate this year so they should be good to go had the swap in mind :)

Gottch for the red petunias klstuart you're gonna love them!

I'll put your name on some LynnWeidman, I would like some of your purple and white ruffled those sound like something my two neighbors would like for me to grow for them lol I'm growing annuals for three neighbors besides myself this year lol I always have extras anyway :)

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Thanks LeBug, and I will put your name on the ruffled petunias.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Thank you! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.