Just stick fresh cut flowers in a vase!

london England, United Kingdom

Just stick fresh cut flowers in a vase!

This theme came from a comment made by someone, ........ Let's see yours!

Nasturtiums, Fuschia, Roses,Michalmas daisy, Dahlia

This message was edited Oct 10, 2008 6:12 AM

Thumbnail by terriculture
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Now that is some "just stickin it" Terri! Lovely touch all around.

Thank you Candee! Have you got anything flowering to stick in?

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Nope, think my bloom days are bout over after that sneaky nasty frost last night. Just stick and stones to work with! Will look tomorrow and see if there is any tinsy thing left, but doubt it as another frost this evening and all I saw when taking in the dahlia pots was a hardy geranium, one coneflower and one jupiters beard which will likely be gone, but I shall look for you friend!

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi! Guess who? How are ya'll! I don't know if I told you already, but I am finally retired and I love it. I have almost forgotten what is is like to have to get up and go to work every day... And I hardly remember when DH had to go to work. He has already been retired over a year now!

Well, I have finally gotten to use my flowers in a few arrangements and I thought of ya'll and took pics of the last three I did! These were done Wednesday...

Thumbnail by yardqueen1948
Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Close up... These are Dahlias, Celosia, and leaves from Cosmos, Skyflower, and Hibiscus acetella (sp)

This message was edited Oct 25, 2008 11:31 PM

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

These are from my yard, is that appropriate for this thread?

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

and these are pink and white cosmos, Endless Summer hydrangea, pink penta, and skyflower leaves

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Close up...

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Last one... These are Roses, Skyflower, and mums

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

clsoe up...

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

I cut them Wednesday right before we had a storm, and I knew they would not be pretty after that! Winds were so high the blew the blooms right off my brugs, white butterfly gingers look beaten, and the cosmos were blown over. There are no flowers left on the roses. I guess everything else is ok...

Hi YQ, I was only thinking about you yesterday!
This is the thread for your Beautiful flowers in vases, although any thread will do, it's always nice to hear from you!
So you are offically a lady of lesuire now LoL!

Your flowers are lovely! I especially like the celosa's and Hydrangea , so pretty!
Good idea to pick the flowers to show us before the storm.
You still have lots flowering then.. great! How are the Cannas doing? Please keep posting your flowers, either bought or home grown!

There's a fairy cake in the Flowerpot cafe with your name on it!!

It might take you a while to find your fairy cake in the cafe, especially if you are on dial up!

Thanks for the flowers, here's your cake!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Congrats on your new life, one of these days I'll get there as well. Looks like you are putting your leisure to good use in the gardens. I love those dahlias and the dark leaves at the base are a tremendous highlight. Keep posting we love it!

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Terri,

Thank you for the compliments re my flowers. I still have some flowers, but not for long. We began moving stuff to the greenhouse today. Of course I always have stuff that blooms in there too, but usually not enough to make an arrangement, and sometimes it wouldn't be the right stuff... The cannas did terrible this year... They may need dividing. I don't know but they need something! They bloomed once and then no more except maybe a couple now and then.

I am not on dial up. I have very fast speed now. Thank you for the cake! It is lovely and I had a piece and it was yummy! I don't know what you put in it, but it isn't plain vanilla! I can't quite identify the flavor though...

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Candee,

Yes, I am very happy to be retired! It is really great. I have a lot of help in the gardens. DH does almost all of the physical stuff. And of course I am the brains! LOL sorry, I just had to say that... I still do work hard out there (as far as I am able) but he is MUCH more physically fit than I am... And I suffer a lot when I spend a few hours out there.

The dark leaves with the Dahlias are Hibiscus acetosella. The bushes are trying to bloom before it freezes, but I am not sure they will make it. They put way too much energy into growth! I almost fell over laughing when I went around the corner of the house and saw them. I had not been out in the yard for a good while as it was soooo hot. Well those bushes had not been 2 ft tall the last time I saw them, and they were reaching up to the roof and spilling out on the lawn. I took a pic the other day, and I call it "The Blob." I don't know if you have ever heard or an old horror movie by that title or not but the pic looks like the Blob is eating my house!

This message was edited Oct 26, 2008 11:04 PM

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

This is how I expected them to look...

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

ooops... I will try again...

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Yep, heard of The Blob and you know that is descriptive but not quite, cause they are beautiful even if spilling over and swallowing up your house! Even if they don't bloom the foilage is striking.
Such a turnaround at our house as I do most of the physical stuff, mowing and all cause Steve is not as able. He looks big and strong and still does way more than he should - likely same as you - so I know what you mean.
Have a great day!

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks! you too!

Hi Yardqueen, My goodness!! What have you been feeding the blob? haha! Has it got any flowers on it yet?
Fabulous foliage, imagine what you could arrange with all that, Lucky you.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi Yardqueen - that is one big plant you got there. That is a new plant for me - and I would also have been lead astray by the smaller photo and expected it to be nice and compact. I also have not heard of Skyflower. Can you post a picture of the whole plant? Since you still have flowers, please consider posting them on the Yard to vase thread - fall and winter series - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/919760/

I would love to see what you have blooming this time of the year. And congratulations on your retirement! Dianne

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Terri- I did not feed the blob! I used the foliage in the arrangement with the Dahlias. I read it is also edible... Read the comments on this link...

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2112/

Soils- I don't have flowers now! It got down to 31* and they are history! Here is a pic of a skyflower bush in my yard...

Hi Yardqueen!
Thanks for the link, I had no idea the leaves were edible, how interesting!
Have you got your Christmas baskets dusted and ready to go? LoL!!

Here's an arrangement just stuck in a vase! Contrasting colours with spring flowers to brighten up the gloomy winter days we are now having!
First I placed the flowers in a fabric collar, then in a vase.
Iris, Alstromeria and Tulips

View from above...

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Pretty and springlike! Of course you must have bought them. All of my flowers are gone now, so if I have any they will be bought too... I did just buy some 3 beautiful Christmas cactus or cacti... LOL but they are growing plants, not cut flowers.

In answer to your question about Christmas baskets, in a word NO!!!! I do not ever want to do any Christmas stuff before Thanksgiving. NONE... I can only do one holiday at a time... ^_^
ANd I am not quite ready for Thanksgiving yet. I am just getting warmed up to it. We have discussed the menu. I did get the mincemeat for DH's pie. and some pumpkin and evaporated milk for the pumpkin pie. I do the Turkey & Dressing & pies. The kids (all grown and married) do the rest. Do ya'll do Thanksgiving?

In a word NO!!! we don't do Thanksgiving over here, and I can't remember from last year (you told me already) when is Thanksgiving? Sounds like you are pretty organised with the preparations anyway.

Snap on the flowers, mine are all gone too! It will be shop flowers for me for a long time!!
Love Christmas Cactus, you're lucky to have the light to grow them. What time does it get dark where you are?

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Early now with winter coming on and with Daylight Savings Time. What a dumb name!!! Saves no Daylight to me... LOL and if it did, when would we get it back? LOL

I can't say what time it GETS dark, but it is already dark here at 7 and has been dark for at least an hour. In summer it is still light at 9. The sun is far to the south already. They are in a bay window on the south side... the dining room! There is a coral, a fushia pink, and a red! ^_^

I know you don't have Thanksgiving! It is supposed to have started with the pilgrims and the Indians... which you don't have... LOL Do ya'll have another holiday at this time of year to have a big dinner, before Christmas. I do wish they weren't so close together! Just a month apart. And then there is New Years a week after Christmas, and we have a big dinner then for our son's BD.

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

picture doesn't do the coral color justice...

This is the pink

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

the red

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Ladies, what lovelies you all have there!

Here's my last of this fall seasons' "just stick it in a vase"... well, make that a mason jar that you all cannot see!! LOL! They are a very tall and late blooming HARDY garden mum of mine and still blooming in my garden today even after a hard frost! (I know winter is just around the corner when these lovelys pop open.)

I wish I could remember the varietys name.. Enjoy!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY

Hi Blossombuddy! Thanks for sharing your beautiful Chrysanths, they look really good!
The slugs and snails have them for breakfast in my garden!

Hi Yardqueen, Your plants are so pretty!
Well, it's DH Birthday tomorrow, so are are going out for dinner! Usually do that every year!!
Apart from that, there's no holidays until Christmas. It's dark here at 4.30pm now. Hate it!!

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Terri,

I hope your DH has a happy birthday! Where will you go to eat? What kind of food? I love to go out to eat. We go every Sunday after Church and other times with the kids and grandkids...

TTYL
Carol

Well, we haven't booked yet! He does like spicey food, so we will probably go for a Indian Curry with the girls. They both like the mild coconut one!

TTYL is that talk to you later? see I'm learning the lingo now!!
I learnt a new word the other day ..... Boonies!!!! I love that one!

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Boonies... How was it used? Like "I live out in the boonies?"

Yes, she said it meant living in the countryside. I think it's a funny word!

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Comes from "Down in the boondocks" I think? But I am not sure of that. But when you say you live in the boonies, it is the same as saying you live in the sticks...

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

lol, boonies, sticks, country bumpkins is what we say here.
Hello blossombuddy - mason jars make great vases, I use them to sit inside baskets to hold the water and flowers.
yardqueen, nice cactus you have, I never could keep them thriving here, but love seein them.
T-day I cannot believe is just around the corner, I am old, but still do all the cooking and baking, but for Christmas Steve and I do a getaway week for ourselves and no gift shopping except for the grandbabies. The kids all come here for Thanksgiving and then to their inlaws for Christmas.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.