Parte Tres: Breathe deep and tell us what smells wonderful..

Bucyrus, OH(Zone 6a)

Tonight what I thought was a brunfelsia bloomed. It's cestrum nocturnum, blooming inside. WOW. It's powerful. I smelled it upstairs before I noticed it blooming. I noted the small size of the flowers and knew right away what it was.

It's quite pleasant at a distance. In my cat-free room it combines with three blooming jasmines and created quite a powerful perfume. :)

-Joe

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Joe - I have to tell you - mine was just starting to bloom when I had to bring it indoors....I LOVED, loved, loved THAT scent...if it could be bottled...I'd wear it. Mine was strong but not overwhelming IMHO. It's easier 6 ft tall at this point...I will do whatever it takes to keep that baby alive throughout the winter...anything to have a repeat scent performance next year!!!

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

chantell, eau d'cestrum nocturnum. I think you have the next mkt sensation, lol. I have rosa Sweet Chariot blooming and perfuming again. Y'all, get this one!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh yeah!!!! Ok, Nery - that's the rose you're referring to blooming, correct? You're making me rethunk my thoughts of NO roses now, you know?

C, you gotta get this SC. It's easy, trust me.

Here is the sarcococca, not in bloom, but look how much it's grown. For a slow plant it's made lots of progress. I have 4 total, I do have one that is sort of struggling, don't know why

Thumbnail by vossner
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I swear I don't think my sarcococcas have bloomed yet. Of the 4 I rec'd - one went to another DGer in trade - one was getting too much sun - have to check and see if she made it...the other 2 were still doing well. Mine obviously are not fond of sun!!! Nery who did you say carries the SC...do you know?

C, SC is not terribly had to find, come hang around in the Rose Forum and you can get wonderful leads. If I remember I will try to root some for you, but I have a table with a gillion cuttings, have run out fo room for a while.

My sarcococcas are in bright shade in winter when no leaves on trees, and pretty shade in the summer, when trees have leaves.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ahhh yours are in what sounds like a perfect spot for them, then!!! "...have run out fo room for a while." ROTFLOL I have Brug cuttings attempting to root in my bathroom...how sad is that?!?!? LOL

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

How long does it usually take well rooted and leafed Brug cuttings to flower? Miaht they flower inside?
Sheri

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

If I understand there are many variables - to include if cutting was above or below the "Y" - the Brug variety etc. Nery might be able to address this for you.

No I don't that much. but I remembered reading about it in the brug forum. I found a thread on it.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/452213/

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Really, it does depend on cutting above the Y for quick blooms. Howerever if you want to make them a tree or a standard, it's easier with a sucker or a cutting below the Y. And no, I'm sorry gals, I can't remember what I sent--CRS you know. I have so many dang cuttings and brugs they are keeping me way too busy to even visit here much!

This was my first "colored" brug "Isabelle", from JT. The bloom was bigger than the whole plant-pic does look a bit deceiving.

This message was edited Nov 10, 2008 5:16 PM

Thumbnail by violabird
Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

I know I owed you that list of most fragrants and easy care, so here it comes.

Take it from me, don't get too many! Get one of each color, that should narrow it down, lol.

White: Star Dancer, Donna's Monster White & Cypress Gardens
Orange: Gypsy Queen (no yellow-just orange)
Yellow/gold: Charles Grimaldi (the Dr is a bug magnet as are most yellows)
Peachy-Maya & Versi Peach or V. Orange
Pink: Painted Lady, Butterfly, & Valley Misty Pink
Doubles-I don't have much patience with them but will alway keep Golden Lady

Sorry to be so long in coming, forgive me!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Hello my friends! I'm back!

Thumbnail by robcorreia

boa vinda Rob

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Hey Roberta we did miss you! Look how dull it's been here. Hope you had a great vacation.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Welcome home buddy ole pal

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks guys! It's good to be back and finally talk with like-minded people, you know? Nobody there really cares about the tropical paradise that surrounds them!

Here is a GARDENIA TREE for you! It's like 10 ft tall and you can smell the fragrance from my grandma's balcony 20 ft above! Can you smell it too?

Thumbnail by robcorreia
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Like dying and being in heaven...OMG...I can only imagine!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Chantell...you would die indeed! I snipped a bloom for my grandma and she said she had "never noticed that plant!" !!!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

WHAT!?!?!? Tell me it ain't so!?!? Didn't NOTICE it???? I'd be hugging it...LOL.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

I know! I was, lol! Swear to Gd, nobody cares over there! They take it for granted!!!

Thumbnail by robcorreia
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh mercy....well I suppose if I were surrounded daily by it for....oh, say a million years...I could see where I "might" not take notice....sheesh

Sinking spring, PA(Zone 5b)

Is that a plumeria with all that branching? That's a nice form for a plumie.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

F4F, yes, it's a plumeria! They all grow huge over there!

Thumbnail by robcorreia
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

To think I get excited over mine with 3 branches...LOL So sad.

Ok, so that's what that is in that picture, too. Wow. I meant to ask because I was thinking Chorisia even though I knew it wasn't.

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Nice photos Rob! I'm sure if I was there my nose would be yellow from ODing on all the pollen from sniffing, lol. It used to happen every time I went to the Flower Show--thank goodness I alway went with friends that would tell me when to wipe my nose off...my friend with a white beard and 'stach was really funny looking.

Oh Rob,
That Gardenia...I can only immagine! It is exactly like mine at my front door,well "exactly" about 50 times bigger ... Wow!

Birdie
ps...Welcome home! I missed ya. =^..^=

Want some winter treats? Things aren't done blooming here. It got "cold" early this year, but I am still in denial that I have to stop gardening. Here is my "little" NBJ all grown up ready for flush 2 of round 5 this year. The cold weather brings the best flushes for certain things as this heat can be "too much of a good thing."

Thumbnail by fauna4flora

This particular individual is a really good bloomer.

Thumbnail by fauna4flora

My first Queen Emma bloom.

Thumbnail by fauna4flora

Oh you people in Fla and Ca with the higher zone numbers make me drool with envy sometimes!! ;-)

Sheri

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

How excited would i be if my NBJ bloomed again?!?!? Got her 6 ft self in my living room corner beside the windows.

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Whew! Talk about scent, Golden Lady blooming is enought to drug me when I go down to the basment at nite--even the leaves are strongly scented.

Thumbnail by violabird
Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Fauna is that 'Queen" a crinium? What's her scent description? How hardy is she?

My NBJ is puting growth back on in the basement--yay!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ahhh my very first whiff of Sweet Olive...very nice. Now to find that thread that we discussed a particular type of Sweet Olive that had the "bestest" scent....
I FOUND it: "astcgirl wrote:I love my Tea Olive.....Osmanthus fragrans "Fudingzhu"

This message was edited Nov 24, 2008 12:40 PM

Thumbnail by Chantell
Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

Yes the sweet olive....this will always be my favorite flower scent....so strong for such a small flower. I've been neglecting mine for a while....time to pamper them a bit I think. I have about 5 pots in my garden that are starting to bud up right now. Glad your enjoying it Chantell.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Ladies....how big is the sweet olive before it blooms? I saw a 1 gal for sale locally... would I have to wait for a long time?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ya'll correct me if I'm wrong but I know with many plants if your plant is started from a cutting off a plant that is of blooming age it will bloom rather quickly. Samantha - would you say that one was 1 gal size?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.