Parte Tres: Breathe deep and tell us what smells wonderful..

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

OK, here is chapter III. I have fragrant stuff but no pics. Sweet Almond Verbena is doing its thang. I love that plant! Somebody has promised me a Chinese Perfume Tree, which I would have to overwinter as it is hardy to zone 10. Note to self: do NOT get any more stuff that I have to haul in the garage.

My friend's Reseda bloomed and I thought nothing of the fragrance. The curious thing is that she could smell a delicious scent from the very same bloom. She accused me of having a messed up nose. -shrug-

bump

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

maybe you have a broken nose like Chantell! lol!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I love Rosemary.

Does anyone know how long it takes for the Chinese Perfume plant to bloom? Oh, and, Vossner, I'm not the one who promised you some but if you'll wait for mine to grow up ... I'll trade you some for that Sweet Almond Verbena. :)

IO1, thanks for the offer. The gift is from a local friend, you're off the hook, lol. As to the SAB, I plan to propagate soon and if you remind me I will send you one in the spring.

and where is the other Miss Broken Nose Chantell? I haven't seen her in a while

Thanks! I just purchased mine from Logee's and she's still a baby. I received money from my in-laws for my Bday, so I treated myself to this beautiful plant. I sure hope it doesn't take too long to bloom. It's very pretty!

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Chantell has been on vacation.

Guess what I smelled in the garden today? First bubblegum (in the early morning), then bananas! I looked high and low just knowing it had to be my Banana Shrub--and it was, I only have 2 buds but only one was uncovered and I could smell it 50 feet away. Will try and get a photo when open.

This has been another sad summer, not a drop of rain since Labor Day and not much in the summer. Out of 4 Plummies, only one bloomed. Thank goodness for brugs!

Thumbnail by violabird
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Hummm! Banana shrub is definitely one of my next additions! Vi, my plumie had ZERO blooms this year. Not a drop of rain here either! But I was told they're draught tolerant?

This forum isn't the same without chantell, miss broken nose!

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

I haul my plummies up and down to the basement every year. The only one to bloom was in a short wide pot, and boy did it ever bloom from June thru early August! I now have one that is over five feet tall, can't even peek to see if I have inflos yet :(

Last year I had my pink one bloom, this year this yellow--glad I didn't spend alot of money on a named one!

Thumbnail by violabird
Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Oh, almost forgot, did I tell y'all about my Godiva Chocolate scented orchid named "Sharry Baby"? (Excuse the mealies, sometimes I have to take photos to really 'see', lol)

Thumbnail by violabird
Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Hmmm.... no more stuff to bring in over winter? No way!

Allspice ~ Pimenta doica. No blooms but I can't help but rub the leaves and smell every time I walk by the plant.

Vossner ~ does Sweet Almond Verbena need winter protection too?

Sinking spring, PA(Zone 5b)

Here we go- as promised. First up- the Ascocenda.

Thumbnail by fauna4flora

Next is the Cattleya- remember she had a bumpy ride home but is still so rewarding with her scent. This scent reminds me of something I used to smell up north- some bulb. Not sure which as I've been in Florida so long, but it has that effect for me.

This message was edited Oct 4, 2008 2:26 PM

Thumbnail by fauna4flora

I was told this was Solandra maxima by a grower I really trust, but I have to wonder it it isn't grandiflora instead.

Thumbnail by fauna4flora

Last- I know you all have seen my Curcuma before, but not quite like this with the flower detail.............

Thumbnail by fauna4flora

Podster- glad you mentioned something from the Pimenta genus. I have some seeds I am really excited about trying. They are from a lemon-scented cultivar of Bay Rum (Pimenta racemosa.) I am really hoping that they come up with the lemon scent if I am lucky. I have to be careful with that genus. Leaf sniffing bay rum makes me dizzy! Also, jamaican dishes with fresh allspice have a tendency to put me to sleep.

Quoting:
Leaf sniffing bay rum makes me dizzy
~ seriously? Sounds like me hyperventilating over the wonderful odors. LOL

Seriously. And fresh nutmeg makes me silly.

Oh oh, narcotics sold at the grocers...

Reading thru these threads makes me wish we could sniff the blooms online!
Ever so delicate a fragrance.

Thumbnail by podster

I've been waiting for this for sooooo long. Tea Olive- tiny flower, major fragrance. Love it.

Thumbnail by fauna4flora

The Sweet Olive is a delightful bloom. Mine delivered a spate of blooms after the IKEster came thru... odd how a hurricane can make plants bloom. The Epiphyllum bloom was triggered post IKE too.

Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

Congrats F4F, I love Tea Olive, it's one of my favorite plants.....I guess that's why I have like 6 bushes around the house...LOL

sweet olive. I'm not even going to admit how many I have. Next craze: salvia clevelandii. I'm going to get bunches, as soon as I find them. I'm crazy about that scent.

I tried seed for Salvia clevelandii but didn't have success. I agree, it appeals to me!

Hmmm. Can you describe the scent to me? I am OK with Salvia. I tend to overwater them as seedlings, as I do Nicotiana. Please keep me in mind if you have spare seeds. ~ Thank you!

I find the frag. hard to describe. It makes me think of Incense. Also, a scent that you go: what is that?, not familiar like roses, plumies or jasmine. Don't know how old or new of a plant it is, all I know is I want it, lol. has blue flowers.

I'm not big on salvias, no particular reason. but I have grown van houtii, a burgundy flower, flame, red flower, yellow/green variegated leaf. I have seeds for a short white but I have been remiss in that I didn't sow this year. Hopefully they will be viable next year. none of these are frag. BTW.

I want clevelandii, aka frag. sage, want it bad!
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/261/

LOL ~ incense is a better description than the word that popped into my mind. Hippies. 8 ) It is a fragrance that you either love or hate. I fall on the love side of it.

Incense in a hippie's house. I was close...

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Don't have a broken nose says Sam I Am...dang it!! LMBO!!!
Ok SOOOOOOOO....came home, as I told Nery, to BLOOMING NBJ...ohhh SOOOOO doin' a major happy dance!!! I've tried for YEARS to coddle starts and gifts to blooming size...never happened...till now. I come home to a TREE (where oh where will this one go???) with blooms....soooo heavenly!!! Can't wait now to smell the Tea Olive!!!!! Sad to say my night blooming Epi had another couple of blooms bloom...and the best I can tell I must have 2-3 different night bloomers (all white) in there...imagine that...LOL. Not very smart of me, eh?
F4F - how long till the Solandra bloom? I rec'd one from a DG friend which has put on some amazing growth...matter a fact...I need to pot it's happy self up.
As for the plumies...I had 2 bloom for me this year...none of the others...I should check them though since I've been gone. Miami Rose has such a wonderful scent...hmmm, wondering if I posted the pics of her blooming beside the CG brug...probably did...ahhh the scent...to die for. And of course all the Tuberoses are starting to bloom....I bring a cut stalk into the office...patients love it!!! Just one though or I may send some into asthmatic shock....mercy!!!

Yayy! So glad the jasmine finally bloomed.

The Solandra for me took a long time to bloom. I know this much- they bloom on new growth and they prefer a lot of space to get big and sprawl. Funny story- last weekend I almost cut the plant back but didn't get around to it. Then it bloomed this week. I would have cut the bloom buds off if I had!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

yey Chantell welcome back! Fauna, wow, so glad you didn't wack those buds ey!

My NBJ is going nuts right now too. I gotta post a picture! No blooms on any of the tuberoses though...I planted them this year, do they not bloom the first year of what?

Sweet Olive...never smelled one before, I am SO curious now! I gotta find some locally to experience what everyone here is raving about.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Depends on size of cluster (tuberose) - was your's a big ole mama in the middle with bitty babies around her or just a single bitty baby?

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

If I recall they were singles, but pretty large...hummm...

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

If they're a decent size cluster you should get blooms...at least out of 1/2 of them...that's about how mine have done this year...and I just planted them in May

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

OK, fingers crossed! Just in case. I bought a cut flower at the farmers market for my bedroom this weekend, lol!

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Chantel, great to see you back!

Rob, did anyone tell you that Home Depot & Lowes almost always carries Sweet Olive? At least they do here. There is nothing on earth like that apricot scent--not eve apricots.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Really! I have to go check it out!

I think that the box stores depend to a degree on local suppliers for availability. I've never seen tea olive at a box store- I've always only seen it at Mom and Pop retail stores. But, one never knows what one will find..............

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.