part II on basic how to propagation based on my experience

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Where is our fearless leader. I know he wasn't doing too well Sunday, but thought he'de be back by now. Guess we gotta go drag him out of the bed by his bad arm. hehe
WE need to learn stuff.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

I am here for the moment. I am getting injections later this week to help it out. The weather is really sucky right now and I am looking forward to friday pm.
So what do we need to review now??
Dave

Pawleys Island, SC

Hey now I can add pics, I just needed to get back to normal. I think these are the little boogers that ate all my passionflowers........

Thumbnail by ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

These are the sulfur cloud butterflies.........

Thumbnail by ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

Dave, I am sorry you have to get more injections. That's yucky! Our weather has turned really nice for the next 4 days or so, our nights are in the high 50's again and days in the high 60's to low 70's. My sasanquas and confederate roses are blooming along with a few angel trumpets and some annuals and my loquat tree. Most everything else has finished. The sasanquas will continue throughout the winter until the camellia japonicas start blooming in the spring. I still have some clean up left to do but for the most part, I can almost say, I am done. ( dear hubby laughs as he reads over my shoulder. LOL)
Are any of you starting next years gardens and hanging baskets now?
I am planning to seed my morning glory baskets and pea vines now and slip them against the house so that they will sprout in the spring. I am also looking for some other hardy vines that I can winter sow now. Any ideas?
Can you grow sweet peas in baskets? I have never tried to grow them at all....... I think that is an experiment for tomorrow.
Gotta go help with homework, Linda

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Hi:
Landscape winter projects ... Hmmm. well the niece and broinlaw are raking leaves as I type. I have been sowing lots of seeds for next year. lots of woody ornamentals. 5 colors of crape myrtle. some rubeckia and echinacea's. I will put the ole thinkin cap on for other suggestions. I would say yes they can grow in a basket. its how the next biggest craze happens, we try something new and it catches on.
the shots are something I have come to be used to. Kind of like a tune up of the nerves if you will. It really helps, so I am glad to get them. a few moments of pain for weeks of relief. I am hopeful it will take care of the shoulder for the rest of the year.
I will start a new thread on friday for the dial upers. any ideas on what you might like to discuss? How early to start annuals for the next spring maybe? Love it or hate on different plants?

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Ibartoo, have you ever grown the Cup n' Saucer vines? They are such strong vines. I grew some in a big pot on my deck a couple of years ago and I love the vines but they don't bloom until about August here and by the mid to end of September our season is winding down so I don't get the blooms much.

I checked them out in the plantfiles or maybe googled them and come to find out they are from Mexico. What a shame. I took mine out. But, in your climate they might do real good. I started them from seed. I still have seed for white and also purple if you would like to try them let me know and I will send you some.

Jeanette

Pawleys Island, SC

Jnette, I would like to try some. I tried some once before and I believe the squirrels got to them when they were just germinating. I was planning to plant today, but it won't happen. God sent rain so I can clean my house and work on other projects.Late next week our temperatures are supposed to drop to around 35 F, so I guess our 1st frost won't be far behind. I am debating cutting back my brugs that are planted in ground. I know if I let them get frosted, they won't root as well, but most of those planted are noids and I really don't have room for more, because I have about 15 rooting in the house with no clue where to plant them in the spring.

Dave I do understand the relief of the shots. I wasn't a candidate for them for other reasons, but still just the idea gets to me.

My game plan right now is to start my daylilies from seed in December, tropicals like Bird of paradise, brugmansia, passiflora, jasmines etc. in january, annuals and vegetables in february,. It remains to be seen, how I will stick to that schedule. LOL

Gotta run, the rain has let up and I must feed birds, I will check later. Linda

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Linda, I forgot to tell you that Parks has a Sweet Pea especially for baskets. I don't know how the others would do in baskets. I tried morning glories and moon vine in baskets last year and was very disappointed in them. However, could have been the place I had them hanging. Maybe they didn't get enough sun, altho they bloomed on the opposite side of where I could see them and there was no sun on that side.

Oh well, it was a good try anyway. I will get the seeds for the Cup n' Saucers out soon. Hope you like them as much as I did. I just wish we had a longer growing season.

Jeanette

Pawleys Island, SC

Thanks Jnette, I will check them out. I have been to park seed when they have their open house and it is really neat. I usually grow my morning glories in baskets and they do pretty well. I didn't try the moon vines in baskets, but I will in the spring....... That will be pretty. I have about 30 live oaks in my yard and each one has a hanging basket of some type in it almost year round. In the winter I try to hang pansies and other hardy things, but this year, I think I will just go ahead and winter sow the baskets for next spring. Linda

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Linda, do you guys grow fuchsias there? Isn't it pretty humid there? I would think they would do real well if it is. They do great in Seattle, but then they have a lot of rain. It is pretty humid there too. We don't have either a lot of rain or the humidity, but my fuchsias did better this year than in the past.

Maybe I am just finally getting the hang of growing things here. I do mainly container growing tho.

Jeanette

Pawleys Island, SC

Jnette, I have tried fuchsias in the past, but never been very successful with them. I think they are beautiful though. We do have lots of humidity and sometimes lots of rain.
I think I neglect them a little too much.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Dave, how do you control pests in your GH?

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I am curious on that one too Dave.

Jeanette

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

I use a strong systemic. the name slips my mind on the granular. I was suprised to find it over the counter. we used to use it for the more nasty stuff. Nock on wood the only issue I have had was with earwigs, slugs and fungus gnats. the sluggs are easy to controll with the slug baits. the rest I use the systemic. I try to not use anything when I can get away with it. Late last summer I had a bad case of spider mites on my tomatoes but they were in pots in a seperate location I just cut off the stems and let them grow back, so far so good. I will get you the name of the systemic on momday.
I am down for the day and we are going to drop like a rock in temps. we hit our high this morning. tonight 35 tomorrow night 29 so its freeze time. I hate the cold it makes my bones ache. Yuck... I will be away this weekend also going to visit grand babies. a 3 year old boy a 1 year old girl and a one month old boy. I have yet to see the new one.
Yeah the shots are a tough one to go through but its a little bit of pain for so much relief. I get 3 in the back every winter. it makes life a bit more tollerable. The body is just worn out and I am not that old. I guess I got a bad set of bones from the family.
Dave

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Ok, I have fuschia's. What do I do with them. Pots, ground?

Also, should cuttings be put under lights. I have some inside where I usually plant seeds and hvae the flor. llights there. I've been turning them on. Good? Bad?

Also, have you tried the sweet pea vines in hanging baskets? They are nice. I've even seen brugs in baskets. Who'd a thunk it.!

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Looked up the cup and saucer plant. How pretty are those? I didn't know they existed. Oh no, another plant on my list.! Just what I need

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Ok, Dave, you first. Disyston, or is the y and the i switched? LOL, I only use it for spider mites and never on edibles. Have you tried vacuuming the aphids? My daughter uses her bead vacuum and loves it. For aphids.

Ok Lorraine, what are the fuchsias you have? Do you have uprights or trailing? Do you have rooted plants or cuttings?

Lorraine, I love the Cup n Saucer vines. Very strong. They need a good support. Do you want some seeds? I have white, which turns to purple as the flower ages. And I also have Key Lime which I have never grown.

Unfortunately I have had them only long enough for them to start blooming and for about a month and then winter hits. But I would think in your area they would be very nice. They are a plant they grow in Mexico.

Jeanette

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Jeanette: yes disistron is the one for spidermites and i Would not use it on edibles either its a heave chemical. I did find a 3 in one at wally world its a fungicide miticise and fungicide. Its a base of neem oil and probably a copper of some kind for fungicide. My dad insists on trying to gro key limes and I always get them when they start the downhill slide. The one I have now is in the GH and has little fruit on it. They are the most tender of the citris as far as I know anyway.
If you are doing fuscias for baskets I would use the trailing ... obviously..LOL. Maybe a small group buy of liners from somewhere that has fuschias and other things not really common arround here. I like carolina cuttings web page although I have never bought from them they have some decent looking stuff and not outragous prices. I have some more sources for some more of the exotic stuff. I know a few of us are kookoo for EE and one wholesaler has them in plugs. But I think we are a wee bit early to start ordering plugs. maybe after the 1st of the year we can get a group to buy from one or two of the sources. I dunno you tell me?

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

yep, dave, we must have ee's and stuff. So, don't forget.!!

Jeanette, The fuschia's are bulbs. Do they usually come that way. Someone brought them to me at the Round up. Also, do I want some cup and saucer seeds. YES, OF COURSE I DO.!! Have I ever met a seed I didj't want.!!

Have ya'll ever had spider mums. Which is a common name here, but don't know the latin name.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Dave, the key lime I was talking to Lorraine about is the color of a Cup n Saucer. I guess Key Lime is green?? I think it would be gorgeous. Lorraine I will send you a few seeds 'cause I haven't planted any myself yet. I am not sure how many I got I haven't opened them.

Nope, if you have a fuchsia with a bulb Lorraine we are talking about 2 different plants. I am so curious now. Do you know who you got them from? Try to find out something about them.

I know what the spider mum is but mums are not a favorite of mine for some reason. They are very pretty, but maybe it is because they are so late in the season that by the time they are blooming etc. it is wet and cold here. I think.

Jeanette

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Chrysanthemum something or other ... they are *beautiful*. Are you going to grow them? I wonder why you don't see them often...,...

Well, my gh will definitely have edibles in it... besides, I really try to stay away from the heavy-duty chemicals, with anything.

Is there any good maintenance procedures? I know, don't let water pool, keep good air circulation, bottom water plants (although I've found this is certainly not fool-proof for fungus gnats) ... what else?

Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Okay, I have a question. I was trying to sprout daylily seeds using water and hydrogen peroxide, but they molded. Was I supposed to change the water/peroxide every day, or did I do something else wrong? I had them in regular room light, in my kitchen.

Pawleys Island, SC

Avianut, when I start soaking the daylily seeds, I put them in the water and then directly into the fridge for 3 weeks. Try that and see if it works. Linda

Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Oops, my mistake. I put the seeds into the 'fridge for 3 weeks, then took them out and put them in the water/peroxide. All of them, unfortunately! Next year I'll do it better! Thanks for the info!! Jill

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Greetings from little rock. I usually soak my seeds and then outside into flats to stay over the winter. It seems to work for me. I do a lot of things that way. Mums are day length specific for flowering similar to poinsettias. Sorry about the confusion on key lime. It sounds neat though.
Avianut did you through out the seeds? If not try putting them outside and see what happens. I like to try different things because I never know whats going to work and whats not.
I just wanted to pop in and say hi. I should be back home tomorrow.
Dave

Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

I threw out most of them. Did plant a few, just to see if they would grow. I'm not holding out much hope, though! Do they need to go outside? I haven't had good luck with winter sowing (I know, I seem to be the only one it doesn't work for!!)

Pawleys Island, SC

Avianut, I have some seeds I can share if you want to try again. They are mixed varieties. If you are interested, send me a dmail. Linda

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Ok, my bad. I didn'[t know if you were going to winter sow or plant in the fall you needed to soak, etc. So, if I'm gonna winter sow, I still need to soak?

Pawleys Island, SC

Lorraine, I may be wrong, but i have always soaked them 3 weeks before sowing, winter or spring...... Linda

Pawleys Island, SC

Lorraine, Have your pineapple sage rooted yet? Mine are still blooming. I need to go cut them before they freeze, but I hate to cut them while they bloom.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Howdy:
I soak everything for a minimum 24 hours some longer just depends on species. We used to soak palm seeds for a week in sw florida. Oh the smell.... I amplanting a lot of stuff this fall and plan to sow even more if I can find the time and room.
Dave

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Time and room. Boy, isn't that what we would all love to have more of. Glad you're back Dave.

Jeanette

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Got home earlier this evening.
Nite nite

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Ok, so if I'm winter sowing, I still soak, right? (Don't laugh, I told you I belong in kindergarten!!)

DAve, don't leave us alone, you know what trouble we can get into!!!

Another question. If there are some of you who live in the same zone or close to it (DAve) tell me when you start to winter sow. Since it's so crazy here, it's hard to know. Sometimes things will freeze, then start germ. cause it's 75 in Jan. I started things last of Nov. last year and it all did fine., but wanted to know what ya'll thought.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

I like to start in october but thats because of the quantities I do and my limitations. The main thing to remember is that with the wacky weather you need to watch the moisture levels of the seedbeds closer than someone that is snowed in for months. we get a lot of wind and warm days that cause the soil to dry out faster than the frozen tundra of the north.
I made seed flats last year that I really like using 1 X 4 lumber and screening in the bottom to keep the soil from all falling out. I like to hit home depot's miscuts and bad lumber cart. They usually have some sort of lumber I can always use for 50 cents ant its enough to make one box plus screen. Some say I am cheep but I prefer the term frugal. I have added a pic of the boxes I made last fall. I plan to build a few more this month to do more seeds. I am no expert at the winter sowing. I forget who said they had lots of success with winter sowing. I think they were in a zone close to us and delt with lots of similar issues. I am going to move us to a new page and we can start up with winter sowing discussions so we can do it ourselves. I think it was read it, do it teach it or something in that area.
link in the next post BRB

Thumbnail by Pughbear7
Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

And here is where we are headed to.
New thread part III
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/924600/

Oakhurst, CA

bump

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Interesting seed boxes.

Janet

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)