Sept. Daily Weather, Part III What's happening in your yard?

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

By request, a new thread with a Teton picture.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Beautiful start to the thread, Kelli!
Celia: your day can't get much better, can it? Sounds very peaceful!
Marylyn: so good to hear from you and to know that you are okay! We've been hearing "through the grapevine" but it is so much better to hear directly from you. Here's hoping your power is restored soon--we've missed you!
Welcome back, Pepper! We've missed you, too!
Ric: Wu makes a good construction supt.! LOL
Sharon and Celia: Isis and Boo make a good pair! LOL

Today
Partly Cloudy
High 82°F
Precip 20%
Wind: E 5 mph
Max. Humidity: 61%
UV Index: 8 Very High
Sunrise: 6:56 AM CT
Avg. High: 82°F
Record High: 96°F (1980)
Tonight: Clear
Overnight Low 61°F
Precip 10%
Wind: NE 4 mph
Max. Humidity: 84%
Sunset: 7:04 PM CT
Avg. Low: 58°F
Record Low: 36°F (1983)

This was taken through the driver's side window at approx 55 mph (I'm the driver) which explains the odd angle.

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 3b)

42° F now at 10:30 am. It's going to be a stretch to reach the 50's.
Forecast from wunderground:
Mostly cloudy with isolated rain and snow showers. Patchy fog in the morning. Becoming partly cloudy in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 40s to lower 50s. Light winds.
Yesterday my DH and DD began the drive out to the Seattle, Washington area. They encountered snow about 100 miles from here, but not sticking to the road. As of this morning, they are in the Yukon and expect to be in Washington on Thursday.
She/family are moving and will need the travel trailer/pickup down there and in place at the new home, before they/family, fly down in October. They've lived with us for a year and half, so will really miss them and the grandkids.
Kelli ~ that's such a beautiful photo for the new thread; what a nice time of year to have been there.
marsue~interesting technique (not that I'd ever tried); good pic, too.
Last night~ 7pm sundown~ taken from our deck.

Thumbnail by kiska
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Kiska: gorgeous photo of the sun reflecting off the yellow/golden leaves! I know you will really miss the DD and her family after having them with you for the last 1 1/2 years! I am sure it will be a big adjustment for all of you.
Currently 82º here and sunny. I don't even want to think about highs in the 40's just yet!

Cloudless Sulphur on a Black & Blue Salvia today

Thumbnail by marsue
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Kelli, great pics, thanks for the tour!
I had to be a plumber today and change a piece from the battery in the bathroom...ugh! Last night we heard something dropping and it was a leak. I had to turn off the water last night and I couldn't do it from inside...I had to do it outside, in the small cellar we have for the water and electricity control...it was dark and I had to use a lamp. It's not ready yet, still the generator has to be installed.
Still cold , but sunny today. The geraniums are blooming and Junior is sleeping!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Don't you hate going into those small, outdoor places? Some of the older houses around here have crawl spaces under them. You couldn't pay me to go in one of those.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on September 22, 2008
80 °F / 27 °C
Clear
Humidity: 35%
Dew Point: 50 °F / 10 °C
Wind: 4 mph / 6 km/h / 1.5 m/s Variable
Pressure: 29.88 in / 1012 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 8 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

Before I go back to the Yellowstone pictures, here is a picture from the yard. This is "Best Bet". It is supposed to be a rebloomer, but this is the first time it has done so.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Kelli – Beautiful start picture!
Celia - Hope your day was as peaceful as it sounds :)
Marsue – There once was a crooked farm LOL!
Kiska – I know you will miss them terribly. That’s going to be a huge adjustment for everyone. Beautiful picture
Marsue – Pretty picture of the butterfly and salvia!
Adina – Junior is adorable! I don’t like small spaces either.
Kelli – Best Bet is gorgeous

74.1 °F / 23 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 85%
Dew Point: 68 °F / 20 °C
Wind: 3.2 mph / 5 km/h
Wind Gust: 6.3 mph / 10 km/h
Pressure: 30.12 in / 1019.9 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 75 °F / 24 °C
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 1800 ft / 548 m
Mostly Cloudy 13000 ft / 3962 m
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft / 6096 m

Now
Through 730 PM...showers and thunderstorms continue in the coastal waters with the heaviest activity moving onshore at Fernandina Beach. The heaviest showers are in the coastal waters 18 miles east of Saint Marys. These showers are moving southwest at 15 miles an hour. Showers off Saint Johns and Flagler counties are moving northeast at 15 miles an hour.

Tonight
Mostly cloudy. Showers likely and isolated thunderstorms early in the evening...then chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms. Low 70. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70%.

Bell Peppers :)

Thumbnail by MySharona
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Another perfect day. Low 80s with a nice breeze and sunny. :~)

73.0 °F / 22.8 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 69%
Dew Point: 62 °F / 17 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.12 in / 1019.9 hPa (Steady)
Visibility: 9.0 miles / 14.5 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 3000 ft / 914 m

Lake Wind Advisory in effect from 8 am this morning to 10 PM EDT this evening...

Today
Windy. Partly cloudy with isolated showers and thunderstorms. High 81. Northeast winds 20 to 25 mph with gusts to 35 mph. Chance of rain 20%.

Pileated Woodpecker on my neighbors tree - see the red head?

This message was edited Sep 23, 2008 12:23 PM

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 3b)

35°F Heavy frost ~ sure looks pretty as it glitters in the porch light. Dyson dark at 7am.
We will miss them terribly; Kelsey, 7, asked how could they have Thanksgiving dinner without cousins.
MySharona~the woodpecker's head is certainly bright. The peppers look good, too. I love your forecast:)
pepper~sounds great, too.
Adina~Hope things are better and the leak is fixed. Junior looks great.
kelli~ Best Bet is gorgeous. Like you, small spaces are something to avoid:) I love reading of cave exploration, but even then, makes me queasy as they describe how the pressure of the earth presses all around and the dark, tight space can become claustrophobic.
marsue~love the blue and golds in the photo. Thanks, too.
Elem. School, yesterday. The view behind the school looked nice and bright.

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 7a)

Wow! Lovely pics, all.

54°F with 73º for later.
Feels like: 54°F

Barometer: 30.2 in ↑
Dewpoint: 38°
Humidity: 55%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 10 mph SSE
Sunrise: 7:16 AM
Sunset: 7:21 PM
UV Index: 6

Mini rose.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on September 23, 2008
90 °F / 32 °C
Clear
Humidity: 24%
Dew Point: 49 °F / 9 °C
Wind: 6 mph / 9 km/h / 2.6 m/s Variable
Pressure: 29.92 in / 1013 hPa (Falling)
(Above Ground Level)

Yellowstone River (I will have more pictures but I haven't had the time to process them yet.)

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kiska _ I don’t know what happened to my forecast, but I had to go back and clean it up! Your frost sounds pretty. Such a pretty picture!
Celia – Pretty rose!
Kelli – Can’t wait to see more of your pictures. I haven’t been to Yellowstone since my early 20’s. Will be nice to re-visit the area.

75.4 °F / 24.1 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 64%
Dew Point: 62 °F / 17 °C
Wind: 4.3 mph / 6 km/hfrom the NNE
Wind Gust: 11.0 mph / 17 km/h
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 77 °F / 25 °C
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 3000 ft / 914 m

Coastal flood advisory in effect until 8 PM EDT Thursday...
Lake Wind Advisory in effect until 10 PM EDT this evening...

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Windy. A 20% chance of showers early in the evening. Low 67. Northeast winds 20 to 25 mph with gusts to 35 mph.

Windy does not = w/gusts up to 35mph. Did you see our low? I had to do a happy dance!
E. Hookier bloom this morning. Only 1, but it sure was a beauty!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Quoting:
We will miss them terribly; Kelsey, 7, asked how could they have Thanksgiving dinner without cousins.

Kiska: that about made me cry! Poor Kelsey!
Adina: Junior is a ferocious guard dog! LOL
Kelli: "Best Bet" is gorgeous and so is Yellowstone River.
Pepper: It's been another perfect day here, too. Ahhh, autumn!!
Sharon: It would be hard to miss that red head! E. hookier is stunning!
Celia: your mini-rose is lovely!

Tonight Clear
Overnight Low 61°F
Precip 10%
Wind: NNE 3 mph
Max. Humidity: 80%
Sunset: 7:03 PM CT
Avg. Low: 57°F
Record Low: 38°F (1994)

Thumbnail by marsue
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

We are having the gorgeous fall weather that only occurs like this, in Pa. AM readings in the mid 40's, warming up to 70 by noontime and 75 during the latter part of the day. Our dogwood trees are starting to turn red. (Some of the first to turn). I am digging disposible daylilies and the ground is dry down 4 inches. Hard to get the shovel in the ground, but easy to shake the dry soil off the roots. Have not had rain since TS Hanna.

But tomatoes are still giving fruit and the parsley is producing those big green and black caterpillars that turn into gorgeous Black Swallowtail Butterflies. I picked one off the porch floor today to put him on a morning glory vine before someone stepped on him. He was looking for a place to spin his cocoon. They give off an ugly odor when you pick them up. Guess it is a survival tactic so the birds drop them rather than eat them. Had to go wash my hands.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Mostly ........ wait for it ..... here it comes - Dark. Also to cool for my liking. It got warm enough for me to get out of the sweatshirt for a short while this afternoon but it was a very short while.

The sun is supposed to reappear at 7:08 am I will have been long at work beforehand.

(Zone 3b)

47°F Light rain.
se_eds~the temp. sure fluctuates throughout the day; sounds very nice. Also, nice that you saved the caterpillar and gave it a chance to make the change.
kelli~the people at the river's edge look as if they are lovin' the view, too. Gorgeous pic.
marsue~made me almost cry too, when she said that. As excited as they are about moving to Washington state, they don't have a grasp of the time/distance/cost of a visit.
The butterfly/flower is so pretty; love the wings.
kwanjin~your little rose is beautiful.
MySharona~the E. Hookier is spectacular. Windy w/floods; quite a fall day.
Dyson~glad it warmed up a bit; hope you can see daylight before winter sets in:)
7 year old Gdaughter took this one yesterday.

Thumbnail by kiska

Perfect day again. :~)

Kiska – Kelsey made me want to cry too, poor baby. GD has a nice touch with the camera.
Marsue – Lovely picture!
Se_eds – Sounds like a nice day you had. My tomatoes are starting to produce nicely as well. I would have saved the caterpillar too :)
Dyson – It’s mostly DysonDark here too! No sweat shirts here yet.

72.1 °F / 22.3 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 66%
Dew Point: 60 °F / 16 °C
Wind: 5.4 mph / 8 km/h
Wind Gust: 11.6 mph / 18 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Steady)
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 2500 ft / 762 m
Scattered Clouds 3500 ft / 1066 m
Mostly Cloudy 5000 ft / 1524 m

Coastal flood advisory in effect until 8 PM EDT Thursday...
Lake Wind Advisory in effect until 8 PM EDT this evening...

Today
Partly cloudy and windy. High 77. Northeast winds 20 to 25 mph with gusts to 30 mph.

The winds are starting to tear the leaves off my plants. I'll have to bring the chimes in if it doesn't stop. The constant ringing is getting on my nerves. Loving the temps and the no sweat factor!

Tufted Titmouse

Thumbnail by MySharona
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Dyson: I'm liking our somewhat cooler weather, but it isn't sweatshirt weather yet--at least not in the daytime. I'm not liking the darker mornings nor the earlier night times.
Kiska: pretty purple flower
Pepper: nothing like a perfect day in autumn! (or spring)
Sharon: we had a lot of titmouses (titmice?) and chickadees at our other house. I miss them--it was fun to watch them at my feeder by the kitchen window.

Today; Sunny
High 86°F
Precip 10%
Wind: NNE 7 mph
Max. Humidity: 60%
UV Index: 7 High
Sunrise: 6:58 AM CT
Avg. High: 82°F
Record High: 90°F (1986)
Tonight; Clear
Overnight Low 60°F
Precip 10%
Wind: N 5 mph
Max. Humidity: 78%
Sunset: 7:01 PM CT
Avg. Low: 57°F
Record Low: 38°F (1994)

These very tiny flowers are growing in our lawn--I caught sight of them the other day and snapped a pic.

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 7a)

Wow. Lots to catch up on again. Lovely weather everyone is having.

52°F with 81º for later. Not a cloud in the sky that I can see.
Feels like: 52°F

Barometer: 30.2 in ↑
Dewpoint: 34°
Humidity: 50%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 8 mph SE
Sunrise: 7:17 AM
Sunset: 7:19 PM
UV Index: 6

Monty thinks he's hiding.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

marsue, I have those same littleflowers in my yard. Do you know what they are? Curious....

Ann

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Ann, I really don't have a clue as to what those little flowers are. I have posted them on another thread on the Mid-South forum so perhaps somebody over there will ID them for me. If not, I will post them on the ID forum in a day or two.

Marilyn

P.S. Celia--I think Monty is ignoring you! LOL

Marsue – Those are pretty little fuzzy flowers! The plural is Titmice. They are entertaining to watch.
Celia – Monty is playing the “I’m invisible” game. He is soo cute!

72.7 °F / 22.6 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 60%
Dew Point: 58 °F / 14 °C
Wind: 3.8 mph / 6.1 km/h / 1.7 m/s from the ESE
Wind Gust: 4.4 mph / 7.1 km/h / 12.3 m/s
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 76 °F / 25 °C
UV: 6 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 2500 ft / 762 m
Mostly Cloudy 3200 ft / 975 m

Temp hasn't changed much since this morning :)

(Zone 3b)

43° overcast
marsue~the little flower is very delicate-looking; but is the stem a bit thorny?
kwanjin~gotta love those cat antics. Weather sounds good.
MySharona~hopefully winds have died down a bit; they can sure be annoying, too. Cute pic.
From the rainbow to the snow and yellow fall colors, it was a nice day.

Thumbnail by kiska

Partly cloudy, no breeze, but still nice out.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Gee, Kiska, it must be tough having to live in the shadow of that gorgeous scenery day after day!!! LOL I don't think the little flower in my lawn is thorny--that's just the part that was chopped up by the lawn mower.

Glad you are having another nice day, Pepper.

Currently 84º and sunny.

With her permission, I saved this photo that another DGer, "lily_love", posted on the Mid-south forum. I wanted y'all to see it--the contrasting colors are awesome!!

This message was edited Sep 24, 2008 3:49 PM

Thumbnail by marsue
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

78* and beautiful!

Been gone too long to catch up. It's apple picking time and Friday we make apple juice.

Washed apples drying on sheets. Johnathons, Grimes and Red Delicious.

Thumbnail by billyporter

Nice picture, Kiska, but don't you hate when there are power lines in the way?
The apples look good.

Way too hot

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on September 24, 2008
97 °F / 36 °C
Clear
Humidity: 19%
Dew Point: 48 °F / 9 °C
Wind: 7 mph / 11 km/h / 3.1 m/s from the SSW
Pressure: 29.88 in / 1012 hPa (Falling)
(Above Ground Level)

more bison - You'd have to go through Yellowstone with your eyes closed to not see bison.

Thumbnail by Kelli

This is Lamar Valley. Wolves are supposed to live here but we didn't see any. The mountains in the back are probably the Absaroka Range.

Thumbnail by Kelli

This is Soda Butte. It's a travertine formation made by an extinct hot spring.

We'll try that again.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Undine Falls

Thumbnail by Kelli

Could this elk look any more bored?

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kiska – I 2nd Marsue – Must be tough to have a background like that in your back yard :)
The winds are still here.
Marsue – Beautiful hibiscus and sulphur…
Sally – Got apples? LOL!! Yummm I know you have plans for all of them :)
Kelli – Love the pics! The only way the elk could look more bored is to be asleep!

The temps have pretty much stayed the same today and I loved every milisecond of it LOL!

71.2 °F / 21.8 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 60%
Dew Point: 56 °F / 13 °C
Wind: 3.2 mph / 5 km/h
Wind Gust: 6.3 mph / 10 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 76 °F / 24 °C
Clouds: Few 2800 ft / 853 m
Mostly Cloudy 5500 ft / 1676 m

Coastal flood advisory in effect until 8 PM Thursday...
Lake Wind Advisory in effect until 8 PM this evening...

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Windy in the evening...then breezy. Low 59 coast. North winds 20 mph with gusts to 30 mph...diminishing to 15 mph.

I'm not really believing the 59* temp tonight. We still haven't hit a 60* temp.

Not sure what the name of the black capped bird is, but the other is the back side of a Tufted Titmouse.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Kelli, yes, too hot! Love the pictures of Yellowstone. I've always wanted to go there.

Sharon, we're hotter than you today, but the breezes have been soft and light. It's almost perfect.

I am tired of running into the fall spider webs.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

LOL, Sally! I don't like spider webs anytime of the year!
Sharon: that little black-capped bird is most likely a Black-capped Chickadee. They hang around with the Titmice. Where there is a titmouse, you will usually always find a chickadee nearby. Don't ask me why.
Kelli: maybe the moose is just content? Looks like he/she has a pretty good life to me. :o))

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Marsue, next month we'll be looking up at a billion single strand webs that baby spiders ''fly'' on. It's something to see, and at the end of the day, the ground is covered in them. Webs, not spiders :o) I don't know what kind of spider it is. I need to find out.

Straight line winds bent and broke the horse off my weather vane. DH made an ornament for me! He painted it too!

Thumbnail by billyporter
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Sally, I wonder if your spiders are the same kind of spider that "Charlotte" was in "Charlotte's Web". Her "children" flew away on those strands.
That's a nice ornament your hubby made for you!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi, everyone! Just popping in to say hello again. We still have no power. (insert pouty face here) I'm back at church, but I forgot the power cord and the laptop battery doesn't last very long, so I'm typing fast!! I'm going to have to go to a friend's house tomorrow to do some laundry... Maybe I'll be able to sneak in between loads on her computer. :-)

I miss you all!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.