Sept. Daily Weather, Part II What's happening in your yard?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Lots of action this month!

Clear and Cold this morning here.
It finally warmed up to near 80 by afternoon....

I got buzzed by the TV's here at work today AND I happened to have my camera w/ me..

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Henry10

It must be hawk/raptor time. I had two red tailed hawks sitting on our power line this AM. They were stretching and preening in our early morning sunlight. Temps were low 50's. Beautiful day with temps eventually climbing into the low 70's/ Blue skies....puffy white clouds.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Hi! Well, I made it back. Such a pleasant day! The high was a very comfortable 73° w/ a really nice breeze! No skeeters today! ;) I spent the evening watching JW take his 1st steps! Sorry, I didn't get any pics. I was too busy trying to get him to walk to me! :D I took him next door to DB's to show off & that he did! He would pretend to walk to my DB & would veer & go to my SIL. We had an absolute hoot! Emily is at work, sooooo you know I had to call her! ;)

Pajonica, Welcome! Yes, we love hearing about other places of the world. So feel free! :D
Ric thanks for the new thread...Great Shot!
Se_eds, Our resident Red Tail was 'talking' all afternoon.
Marsue (Rose Queen), thanks. Ooooo, That is a Gorgeous Rose! Wow! A neat bit of info there. I had to learn all of those things on biology, chemistry, & again in Tech Math. It's not too bad, if you can remember it! ;)
Marylyn, What a beauty! Mine don't do very well...as I have very poor soil where mine are planted. :( I have been watching Ike some today. I hope that you stay safe, cuz 'they' say that he may go any where. :-O
Celia, Gorgeous! MG! Is that a wild one? My white one looked like that one last year. Their colors vary from one year to the next. Mother Nature is so neat! ;)

The trivia for the day is...
What is St. Elmo's Fire? (not the book, song or movie :)
a) A TV show
b) An electrical discharge
c) A historic event
d) An optical illusion

Nite All!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 7a)

Oh! I know this one as Darrell is a Navy man! LOL B!

That's so cool that JW is walking now! So exciting! Now he'll be everywhere. The MG is from some seeds that were sent to me before the new year. I think they're beautiful. I'm going to try to collect seeds and put them elsewhere in the gardens.

Yup, raptor time. The migrations are starting. Nice shot, Ric.

An education is why most of us came to DG in the first place and boy, am I glad I did!

Tonight about 20 minutes ago.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

We received 2” of rain yesterday from Ike. The plants loved it. Funeral today, will be back some time this evening.

Gary starts chemo again next week. His port is being installed tomorrow because his veins are collapsing. But other than that he is doing very well.

Joey – You have some beautiful MG’s
Marsue – I just found a concoction called “Squirrel Away” that I started putting in the bird feed. I’ll let you know if it works. Beautiful sunsprite
Marylyn – Rose of Sharon is a beauty
Pajonica – Welcome to the thread!
Celia – Congrats on the rain, I know your plants loved it. Your MG is very pretty. Beautiful sky!
Ric – Nice start picture.
Joey – B on the trivia. Love that yellow! JW is walking! YAY! Pictures…we need pictures!

79 °F / 26 °C - :P I really can't wait for Fall to begin...
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 94%
Dew Point: 77 °F / 25 °C
Wind: 6 mph / 9 km/h / 2.6 m/s from the ESE
Pressure: 30.02 in / 1016 hPa (Steady)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 1800 ft / 548 m
Scattered Clouds 13000 ft / 3962 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Partly cloudy with scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms in the morning...then mostly cloudy with numerous showers and isolated thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 88. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70%.

NOID rose

Thumbnail by MySharona
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

That's a gorgeous photo, Ric!!

What a neat sky, Celia.

LOL at JW veering to your SIL, Joey! How funny... :-) I also say B to the trivia.

That's a beautiful rose, too, Sharon.

Sidney, I missed you in the chat room. We are not evacuating at this point. We are not in the parts of town that will be under a mandatory or suggested evacuation, and they would prefer people who don't HAVE to go, to stay off of the roads. I don't blame them. We are, of course, watching the maps VERY carefully. If the storm ends up heading straight for us, we may head up to dh's sister's house. We haven't really talked about it yet. Charles went shopping last night and we have plenty of no-cooking-necessary food and flashlight batteries, in case the power goes out. I'm freezing baggies of water to keep the freezer full and cold. He also bought a bunch of bottled water, so we'll be fine as long as a tree doesn't fall on the house or a tornado doesn't come through. Some things you just can't plan for. :-) The little bunny's school hasn't said that they are canceling for tomorrow yet. The storm won't come ashore until late Friday night/Saturday morning, so they really don't need to cancel. We'll see. :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 8:53am CDT (15 min ago)
Temperature 82 °F 28 °C
Dew Point 73 °F 23 °C
Humidity 74%
Pressure 29.92 in 1013.1 mb
Wind Speed 6 MPH 5 kts
Wind Dir E 90°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 9 mi 14.5 km
Heat Index 88 °F 31 °C

Today Partly cloudy. Highs in the mid 90s. East winds 5 to 10 mph.
Tonight Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the upper 70s. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph.
Current Conditions Clear
Remarks Peak Wind: 28 kts from 110 (13:01 GMT).
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 73.9°F / 23.3°C

(Zone 7a)

Whatever you decide to do, Marylyn, we're all keeping you in our thoughts.

Thanks, Sharon. This is my first year with the MGs and I love them! My only experience has been with the lesser liked ones that are a pest. We used to have those EVERYWHERE! Ugh...hate those.

I'm curious how Adina is doing with her move in.

Rann hasn't been here lately, either.

62°F with 70º for today. Quite a change from 90's and 100's last month. We got a liitle more rain but it's clear and sunny this morning.
Feels like: 62°F

Barometer: 30 in ↑
Dewpoint: 36°
Humidity: 38%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 3 mph WSW
Sunrise: 7:05 AM
Sunset: 7:41 PM
UV Index: 6 Moderate

My favorite thing I've ever found in my gardens.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Rann is on vacation, isn't she? Awww... Is that your dh? Mine is sweet, too. ^_^

(Zone 7a)

Yup, that's him. I forgot Rann was going on vacation.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Joey: I guess B - electrical discharge.
Marylyn: Stay safe! I hope the hurricane does little harm.

It was a pretty sticky day today, but not too hot. Threatened rain all day with some very black clouds at times, but notprecip.

This is on the banks of the Edisto R. not far from here.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Evenin' All! It was (again) another gorgeous day, altho the clouds rolled in this afternoon. There was a 50% chance of rain, but we never saw a drop. Other places in the area had some significant rain, but....at least someone got the wet stuff. :)

Marylyn, My thoughts are ever with you. I pray you & your family stay safe. Take care. I have a 1st cousin that lives in Houston...he is evacuating. He's going to his mom & dads in Newton KS.
Celia, What a 'cutie'! I can't get mine to pose at all. I have to catch him when he least expects it. ;) You are certainly good at taking sunset pics! :D
Sharon, thanks. Sorry to here about Gary's veins, but with a port he only has to be 'stuck' the one time. I had just assumed that he had one, already. btw...Beautiful Rose! :D
Deb, WOW! Gorgeous! pic! What kind of trees are those? Neat-O

The answer to the trivia is...B
St. Elmo's Fire is a bright electric discharge that is projected from objects when they are in a strong electric field, such as during a thunderstorm.

Nite All!
Joey

(here he is! he has a little 'side step' goin' on)

Thumbnail by music2keep
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Joey: Look at him go!! :) (Those are cypress trees.)

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

62° here tonight with rain moving in by morning. The 10 day forecast calls for rain through Monday followed by 6 dry days with highs in the upper 60's.

Joey..........Good size and lateral movement. Looks like a WVU defensive end to me!

Photo: Latest addition........

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
(Zone 7a)

Another gorgeous day! I spent the morning outside and then it was off to work. I always make a point of getting outside for, at least, a few minutes every day.

I went back and found that my MG is "Milky Way". Still tattered but getting better. Others are coming on.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

JW is the cutest little guy. Such a smile he has!

Marylyn – I heard this morning that Ike is not only heading straight for Houston, but may develop into a Cat 3 just before landfall. Please be careful.
Celia – Your favorite thing is wearing such a nice shade of blue!
Deb – Beeeyouteeful picture!
Jeoy – Gary’s incision where they originally removed the “one” has never fully healed because they had to remove the lymph nodes in the area. The skin doesn’t have anything to adhere to be able to scar over. The doctors didn’t want to install a port due to the risk on infection, but the have no choice at this point. The last time I took Gary for chemo it took 45 minutes to get the iv in. there’s our Big Boy…what a cutie pie!
E_B – The garden is looking great! I can’t wait to see the finished product (like they are ever truly “finished”)!

78.3 °F / 25 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 94%
Dew Point: 76 °F / 25 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 2.0 mph / 3 km/h
Pressure: 29.99 in / 1015.5 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 82 °F / 28 °C
Clouds: Few 1500 ft / 457 m
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Partly cloudy with chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms. High 88. East winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

I just looked outside and see we received some rain!

Sorry Kiska - I just noticed the lizard!

This message was edited Sep 12, 2008 10:11 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Don't look, Kiska!!!!

Good morning. :-) It's beautiful outside right now... sunny and breezy. There is a window next to me, and I opened it a crack because I kept hearing wind/airplanes/really loud cars and I wanted to see what it was. I think it is news helicopters flying around. Seems silly to waste the gas! Nothing at all is happening here yet. I hear the storm surge water has topped the sea wall in Galveston. The sea wall is 17 feet high, plus in most places there is a beach, so that's a lot of water!

DH is at work, but he's expecting they will get out early. His boss (who just happens to also be his brother-in-law) has to drive quite a way to get home, so I don't think he'll wait until things are too bad. Right now they're moving computers, etc., off of the floor.

We have everything ready on the outside. I need to finish up the laundry, fill a bunch of buckets with toilet-flushing water, change out the kitty litter boxes, and get our new battery-powered radio set up. We have lots of bottled water and lots of nonperishable food. If the power goes out, I'll call Sharon and/or Ric. :-)

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Great opening pic of the TV, Ric! Looks as if 'he' was right on top of you--you must have a really good camera--not that the photographer has anything to do with it--LOL!!
Joey: pretty yellow flower/ Hooray--JW is walking! Now you'll not get any rest for chasing him around! LOL It's been too long since we have had a JW "fix". We need them more often! :o))
Celia: gorgeous sunset! Pretty MG, too. Great pic of Darrell--Pau won't smile when he knows you are taking his picture which makes it seem as if he is somewhat angry even when he isn't . Oh, well--that's my man! LOL
Deb: love the pic of the river and the cypress trees--very serene looking (also "snakey"--reminds me of some of the river scenes in southern Arkansas which are also snakey-- water moccasins!)
EB: love the "window"--very colorful! I want a garden like yours! LOL
Sharon: sorry to hear about Gary's veins--A port will make it easier for him, hopefully. Very pretty NOID rose. Looks somewhat like my Chrysler Imperial in color. Another good pic of the anole and the hummer (You should write a poem about those two!)
Marylyn: praying that you and your family and the others in your area will be safe!

It is absolutely gorgeous here at the moment. Not a cloud in the sky and currently 75ºF. However, this will change starting tonight with increasing cloudiness and higher rain chances. Ike is supposed to come directly across Arkansas according to the latest models so we are quite likely to get a LOT of rain. However, this is a fast-moving storm according to the weather people so it should be out of here by Sunday evening after coming in on Saturday evening. We are already water-logged in areas of the state from Gustav and the expected rain will bring even more flooding, unfortunately.

Well, I am off this morning to a mini-RU at Kathy Ann's. She is a DGer who lives about 40 miles from me. There are about 10 of us from Arkansas and Mississippi who are getting together to help her dig up some of her daylilies that she is giving away. Looking forward to a good time with fellow DGer's--lots of food, talk, and plant trading, too!

This is a pic of a wild MG that sprung up in my flower bed. I pulled up the vine after I took the picture because it is a "thug" and would have taken over my flower bed. The bloom is pretty, though.

Y'all have a good day! Marylyn--be safe!

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 7a)

Mau, you have a fun time! That's a very pretty shade of blue, too.

Darrell doesn't mind his picture being taken. He's gotten used to me swinging the camera around to him. And blue is his favorite color.

Sharon, Gary is such a trooper! I love how the lizard and hummers "share" the feeder! LOL

52°F with 75º for later today.
Feels like: 52°F

Barometer: 30 in
Dewpoint: 39°
Humidity: 61%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 6 mph SE
Sunrise: 7:06 AM
Sunset: 7:40 PM
UV Index: 7 Moderate

The Caryopteris covered in flowers and bees.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Celia: Milky Way is beautiful, even if tattered.
Sharon: Thanks. It's a nice spot on the river where I took that. COngrats on the rain, and
catching the hummingbird!
Marylyn: Thinking of you and hoping for the best!
Marsue: Thanks goodness there were no snakes while I was at the river yesterday!

Had a foggy morning, humid but sunny afternoon. I watered everything when I got home, so of course we're now having a nice t-storm. :)

Deb
(random garden shot)

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Deb! We're doing fine. The winds are just starting to pick up. The bunnies are just getting out of a bath, and then we're going to wash (and bleach) the tub and fill it with water. The flashlights and wind up radio are ready... I think we're all set. :-)

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Marylyn , Please do be careful - Best to you and yours..

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Marylyn - prayers fr you and yours - and all in the path of this storm. Looks like a really biggie. We are getting rain now - that all the flowers have died - 1/2" this afternoon. I am done planting and transplanting so the rain just means I am stuck indoors.

I would have ready welcomed in during July and August. Just don't need it now that the weather has cooled down and I can take out the wheelbarrows and work to clear the beds.
Stay Safe

Marylyn – Stay safe. Our prayers are with you. Keep in touch.
Marsue – Hope you had a great time at the RU. Your rogue MG was pretty.
Celia – Jeff is the same as Darrell. All I have to do is turn the camera towards him and he hams it up :) The Caryopteris is gorgeous. I’d go to it if I were a bee!
Deb – Great picture!

Hi Dyson! Waving!!!

81.1 °F / 27 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 80%
Dew Point: 74 °F / 23 °C
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3 km/hfrom the East
Wind Gust: 7.0 mph / 11 km/h
Pressure: 29.96 in / 1014.4 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 87 °F / 30 °C
Clouds: Few 3700 ft / 1127 m
Scattered Clouds 15000 ft / 4572 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms possible through sunset. Patchy fog after midnight. Low 74. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Just got a text from a friend in Bellaire saying the winds are picking up. She said they are supposed to get 5" of rain per hour beginning around 11pm.

I was going to hang outside for a while to get some pictures, but the cicadas are out en force...geez. Even Prissy had her ears pulled back. She was looking around trying to figure where all that noise was coming from. I took a couple of pictures before coming inside.

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 7a)

Cute picture, Sharon. It looks like the female is saying, "Look, there's that lady again. Shh..."

Please, please, please stay safe all!!!

This coleus was sent to me by another DGer. I love it. Inky Fingers.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Busy here at

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/901717/

and

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/901389/

Feel free to drop by and add a little moral support.

It looks like Galveston is already going under as the storm surge hits....
Houston will be hit in about 4 hours or so.

Ric

Good Morning!

I received a text a few minutes ago from a childhood friend in Bellaire - she said they are fine, but it's a wild ride. Spoke to Marylyn briefly last night and she said they we're ok at that time.

Celia - LOL!

77.9 °F / 25.5 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 100%
Dew Point: 78 °F / 26 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 1.0 mph / 1.6 km/h
Pressure: 29.97 in / 1014.8 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 80 °F / 27 °C
Clouds: Few 1000 ft / 304 m
Scattered Clouds 2500 ft / 762 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Partly cloudy. A 20% chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 90. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Here is my little couple again. They are so cute.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Looks like our friends on the gulf coast especially in Texas are getting hammered! Sure hope Marylyn and her family, as well as all the residents down there, are staying safe!

We are expecting our portion of Ike to come in some time this evening bringing with it as much as 10 inches of rain in certain portions of the state! :o(( Not good but certainly nothing compared to what those in Texas, LA, etc., are receiving.

We had a great time at our mini-RU yesterday. Pau and I have a lot of plants to get in the ground this morning. I'll be back later.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Well I am glad you started a thread Ric I am having IPS going in and out.
I had 3 post I saw were never delivered.
One was about how good your construction was and that "Level" was the true trophy of good workmanship.
I am enjoying all the pictures esp JW.;)
It's partly cloudy with 88º outside.

Quoting:
Good morning everyone. Rough night in La and Texas. I am fine. Picture me in an area that is high and dry way above sea level out in the country. Now picture Slidell 20 miles to the South then from there all around Lake Pontchartrain for fifty seven miles. Now picture the surge that put at least waist high water for blocks inland. That is the picture of this area this morning. Our favorite restaurant in Madisonville is under three feet of water and prediction of more water coming. Old Mandeville had houses with water yesterday morning, New Orleans I cannot even think about it. I know hundreds probably thousands of houses are flooded all over lower La all around the Lake and in the low lands below New Orleans. A levee broke in Lafitte. We did not get high winds just the south east winds pushing lots of water and a surge. I heard it was fifteen feet but I am not sure. Needless to say I have a migraine and Sandy is off to a VB tournament where it is high and dry...so life goes on as things pop back to what is normal in La...shirleyt Thanks for your concern. Drape lady should be fine in Denham Springs and I do not know exactly where in Slidell Em is but I remember she said something one time about being next to the swamp so she may be in trouble. I need to meet that girl...Have a good one...
by shirleyt in Pearl River, LA
Many prayers,
Sidney

Well, just returned from funeral #3 this week. I'm praying we're done with these for a while.

Marsue - Any rain yet on your end?
Hi Sidney!

89.0 °F / 31.7 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 58%
Dew Point: 72 °F / 22 °C
Wind: 5.0 mph / 8.0 km/h / 2.2 m/s from the ESE
Wind Gust: 11.0 mph / 17.7 km/h
Pressure: 29.95 in / 1014.1 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 96 °F / 36 °C
UV: 10 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 3900 ft / 1188 m

(Zone 7a)

Again, please, stay safe and give reports on how you, you frineds and families, and the plants survived the Hurricane Season of '08.

Very nice today. 79º and sunny. No rain, as of yet.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

1000 people and 50 aircraft now involved in SAR.... in the Galveston area alone.
NOT a good sign!

1000's of people decided to ride it out there..................

Ric

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Bright, Sunny, Warm - but not too warm So the DW is painting the house.

Thoughts & prayers for those in harms way.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

WOW! Nice vulture Ric. That's the best one I've seen yet!

Joey, I could just picture JW's antics! They really know how to get everyone laughing! Love the flower!

Kwanjin, gorgeous sky!!

Sharon, poor Gary, it never ends. Beautiful rose.

Marylyn, I was wondering if you had to evacuate.

Kwanjin, nice husband :o)

Deb, that's a neat picture!

Joey, he is adorable!! Big hugs for him!!

Early, I love your latest addition! It's beautiful!!

Kwanjin, beautiful MG!

Sharon, again, poor Gary. I hope when it's over, it's over for good. Laughing over the lizard! Good shot of the hummer! Love your birdbath!

Marsue, those thugs are beautiful! I pulled mine too, but they bloom across the road so I still get to enjoy them.

Kwanjin, my neighbor just planted caryopteris. I'm waiting to se how hers does in our zone 5 winters. Hers is heavily mulched. Your's is gorgeous!

Deb, lovely random garden shot.

Sharon, we hardly have any cicadas this year and the cicada wasp is taking a lot of those. Sweet cardinal pic!

Kwanjin, Inky Fingers is unusual! I love it too!

Ric, thanks for the link. I know one of my Texas friends are ok now.

Dyson, what color?

We have had rain since yesterday. It's 76* and looks like a tad over 2 1/2''. I'm done canning till the apples are ready for juicing. DH helped can 31 quarts of pears. I did 35 quarts of tomato juice, 7 pints of spicy chili starter, 12 pints of salsa and 7 pints of hot pepper mix. I think the rain has stopped.

Everyone in the path of the storm. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

We're under a tornado warning as I type. Gotta go! Be back later.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I'm back and the fast moving storm (50 mph) has already passed over us with no tornado in our immediate area, as far as I know. However, it looks as if the evening could prove to be rather "hairy". Ike has arrived sooner than we expected here.

This is what the storm looked like as it approached--really not any differently than any other thunderstorm.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Sharon: you asked if it was raining yet. Here's the answer:

Edited to add: Now it has stopped raining and the sky is considerably lighter.

This message was edited Sep 13, 2008 6:33 PM

Thumbnail by marsue
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Marsue take REALLY good Care!

I've talked to Marylynn twice today.
She is fine and thanks you for your concern.
Some yard damage, no power but everything else is fine!

Hot and Muggy here.
The final joists are in tomorrow we lay the sheathing and start some framing in the FPR.

Ric

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Blue W/ darker Blue shutters. (white trim)

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Ric: Glad to hear all is well with Marylyn. Thanks for the update. CNN said some parts of Houston may be without power for 2 weeks.
Deb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.