Sept. Daily Weather, Part II What's happening in your yard?

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Hey, guys! I'm sorry I've been away, somehow I lost the thread...I've been working hard in the yard, arranging the garden, especially the soil we had to add over the old one which wasn't enough. A buldozer dropped it over the fence and we spreaded it all over. It was a hard work, but we almost done it, just in time for the big storm and rain we had last night. The wind was so strong it took one of our plastic chairs on the terrace and blew it off to the fence...lucky it didn't hit the car...ugh!
I took one of the puppies inside the yard, with Gavrila and Dwarfie and one of the tomatos is red! Pictures coming up next!

I'm glad Marylyn is fine... I was so concerned about all living in that area!
Ric, you are doing such a good job!
Sharon, I've been thinking about Gary, praying he is well. Nice couple!
Marsue, ugh, glad you are well!
Celia, great coleus!Thanks for checking on me! Your garden looks great!LOL
Joey, hooray for the first step!
Here's the buldozer droping the soil.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

The soil was hard and dry, we couldn't have done it without the buldozer. DH and DS had many boulders to grind.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

DS wasn't so thrilled about the soil he had to carry all over the garden!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

After a week...

Thumbnail by adinamiti

This is the front where I spreaded the soil and arrange all. Also, look at the stairs, me and DS have filled with cement between the tiles...didn't want to wait for the worker and also, saved some money.

Thumbnail by adinamiti
(Zone 7a)

Everything is going to look so beautiful when you're done, Adina. I can't wait.

Everyone is well? Ike is a really large storm and is getting to places that were though out of the way.

56°F
Feels like: 56°F

Barometer: 30.1 in ↑
Dewpoint: 37°
Humidity: 49%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 8 mph SSE
Sunrise: 7:07 AM
Sunset: 7:36 PM
UV Index: 7 Moderate

Monty chatters in his sleep.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

We had 6.6" of rain here yesterday. Back yard is completely underwater, some standing water in the garage, and lots of small streams in the basement from foundation cracks. Still raining today, supposed to be another 2"-3". Lots of streets closed, there has been some evacuation because of the river flooding on the eastern side of town. One neighboring town has been declared a disaster area because of flooding, my brother said there were people riding waverunner type things down the street, pulling innertubes.

Deb

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Marsue, I'm glad you were ok.

Ric, sounds like everything is going right along.

Dyson, that sounds like nice colors.

Adina, it is very hard work, but looks so nice when you're done. The rain will help soften the chunks. Tell DS hard work keeps you fit :o) After a week it's looking good! DS too! Wow, it all looks so nice Adina! You do good work :o)

Kwanjin, Monte is beautiful and am laughing over his chattering!

Hi Momcat, sounds like you got it worse than us. We have a grand total of 3'' so far, but it's all soaked in. I hope your's goes away quickly.

66* and breezy. It isn't going to get much warmer. I finally get a day of rest. Well, not quite. I promised myself I would mop all 3 kitchens sometime today. No I don't live in a mansion. We have two additions built onto a trailor. I cook in the middle. We eat in the west and the fridge, freezer and closets are in the east :o)

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I'm glad to hear that Marylyn and her family are okay. I certainly hope they get electric power restored soon. With a million or more out of power, it may take some time.
Dyson--the paint colors sound pretty--how about a pic?
Adina: your garden is going to be great! The tile stairs and the walk certainly look pretty.
Celia: Monty is such a hoot! LOL
momcat: I'm sorry about the flooding in your area. I heard on the news that the Chicago area had a LOT of rain.
BP: I'm glad you almost got some rest! LOL I have enought trouble keeping one kitchen floor mopped--sure glad I don't have 3 to keep clean!

Well, it looks as if Ike passed over us in such a hurry that we didn't receive nearly as much rain as "they" had originally predicted, which is a good thing. Here where I live, I would say that we didn't get more than 1/2--1" altogether because of Ike. We were awakened a couple of times during the night by the wind blowing but that is all. Today has been a beautiful day--mostly sunny with a few white fluffy clouds floating around. It is still a little bit windy but nothing unusual. Currently 81º.

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Marylyn left a message saying they are ok, but still don’t have electricity. I told her to call if she needs anything.

Celia – Pretty bird!
Sally – A cicada wasp? I’ve never heard of it. You have been really busy canning! My DGM used to can their veggies. So tasty!
Adina – Everything looks great! I know you and your DS are tired, but the rewards are wonderful.
Celia - That picture of Monty is hysterical! He’s chasing bunnies in his sleep LOL!
Dyson – Post a picture of the new paint job!
Momcat – So sorry to hear of the damage, but glad you are safe. Hope the rain stops soon.
Sally - 3 kitchens? I think I’d cry LOL!

86.1 °F / 30.1 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 65%
Dew Point: 73 °F / 23 °C
Wind: 6.0 mph / 9.7 km/h / 2.7 m/s from the ESE
Wind Gust: 9.0 mph / 14.5 km/h
Pressure: 29.88 in / 1011.7 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 93 °F / 34 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 5500 ft / 1676 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy. A 20% chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening. Low 72. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph becoming light southwest.

See why I call her badness? LOL!

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 3b)

54F mostly cloudy with occassional rain.
Just had to see if Marylyn_TX and those in the path are ok; so glad, for the most part, you all are alright. We've seen some news photos and what a mess down there.
Been away and look what's happened: JW is on the move; Adina, your yard-work and tile looks great.
MySharona~ my condolences; Gary holding up ok? sounds postive, over all.
5 youngest gkids here to help dig pototoes. Red, purple and baking varieties.

Thumbnail by kiska

Gary is doing well. He had a port installed on Friday. Now he won't have to get the iv needle every time, very distressing for him. He also had a chest ex-ray on Friday for his lungs. The doc is pleased with the results. His tumor markers are almost at zero. he will continue chemo until the tumor markers are in the negative (appox 2-3 more weekly sessions or 2 months hopefully).

You grow potatoes? How do you know when they are ready? The GK's look like they are having a great time. I love veggies!

Sally - I meant to do this earlier. Here is a close up of the bird bath. Got it for Jeff for Fathers Day last year. He pointed it out to me and gushed about it LOL! It has birds all they way around it.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Another view

Thumbnail by MySharona
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Glad you are back, kiska! The GK's are going to be a lot of help, I can tell! LOL
Sharon: glad Gary got his port installed--it will make things easier for him. Give "her badness" a pat on the head for me! LOL No wonder Jeff "gushed" about the bird bath--it is gorgeous!

One of my favorite roses--the ever-beautiful Medallion (again, I know, but I just can't help myself)

Thumbnail by marsue
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Can't blame you there Marsue, it is so pretty.
Adina I think the dozer was a great idea. It looks like the terrain is flat there like the Plains here in the states.
Sally that sounds like so many homes I've been in. I know the winds might get hairy.
I have no idea on the last trivia, but bow to Celia's answer (b)
So glad Marylyn is okay and Ike is adios.
If you watched the Jaguars game you know it was sunny and dry here.
I'm battling a 3 day cold.
So glad I can give it to none of you.
Sidney

(Zone 3b)

Get well soon, Sidney~~
MySharona~ very cool bird bath. No wonder he gushed over it.. We plant potatoes in June and they are harvested at this time of year. ; they do very well and we grow 2 or 3 varieties each year.
Marsue~ the rose is just beautiful - love seeing them.
48F light rain, sunset will be at 8:20 tonight.

(Zone 7a)

We had a lovely day. Not too hot. It's 61º and still. We might have thunderstorms by Wed. but I'm not holding my breath.

To all in the path of Ike...Glad you all made it though. Ike is still causing trouble from what I hear on TWC.

Monty has an opinion about me laughing at him.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Sidney - Hope you feel better soon :)
Celia - That Monty is a hoot! I had a short hair flame point, I named him Cosmo. He would run through the house and make this sound like an engine reving!

74.9 °F / 23.8 °C
Clear
Humidity: 95%
Dew Point: 73 °F / 23 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 2.0 mph / 3 km/h
Pressure: 29.90 in / 1012.4 hPa(Rising)
Heat Index: 73 °F / 23 °C

Today
Partly cloudy. A 20% chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 94. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

We're 10* hotter than we should be at this time of year.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well we just got power back after 14 hours....
I'll tell you the saga later...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

My goodness, Ric! It likes as if Ike made it up to your house, too! So glad your power is restored. Hope you didn't have any major damage.
I heard on the news last night that there was damage to some buildings in the Cabot area from the tornado that blew over on Saturday evening. A mini-storage and an apt. building both had some damage to their roofs but nothing major. That area is about 3-4miles from our house.
Sharon: the cardinals are beautiful!
Celia: Monty has it made!

We'll be having cooler weather this week--in the 70's and back up into the 80's by the end of the week. A welcome change.
Today
Sunny
High 74°F
Precip 20%
Wind: N 11 mph
Max. Humidity: 56%
UV Index: 8 Very High
Sunrise: 6:51 AM CT
Avg. High: 84°F
Record High: 98°F (2000)
Tonight
Clear
Overnight Low 53°F
Precip 10%
Wind: N 7 mph
Max. Humidity: 75%
Sunset: 7:14 PM CT
Avg. Low: 60°F
Record Low: 50°F (1993)

Cloudless Sulphur on Hot Lips Salvia

Thumbnail by marsue
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Ike paid us a pretty good visit yesterday afternoon.
It intensified to TS winds here from a TD as it slid past us.
We were on the dirty side.
Sustained 40 MPH winds, Gusts to 76 MPH (highest ever recorded except
in a tornado).
Absolutely no rain or tornado's.
675,000 homes w/o power last night or 90% of the area.
Down to 575,000 now. (we are in the Lucky 100,000 who got restored)
They are saying it could be 5 days before all the power is restored.
Trees and limbs were falling like mad everywhere around here.
This area is not geared for winds like this.

Sadly there were 4 deaths from trees falling on houses and two deaths
from a tree falling on a Motorcycle of all things.

I did find out one of my lighting ideas for the new room we are
building will in fact work.
And is GREAT for emergency lighting too.
We brought our LED Solar Spotlights inside.
(3 Light sets I removed one light to conserve the batteries)
We put one set in the LR and one set over the bed.
More than enough light for reading and moving around safely.
They are still on this morning.
AND we can just move the Solar Collector back outside today and
recharge...

We sat out on Jon's front stoop for a lot of the action.
There are no trees near him out there!!
(We're not idiots... we'll OK there was flying debris at time
sooooooo..... lol!)
We watched shingles, siding and various other house parts get pulled
off across the street.
A HUGE limb fell out of our backyard Maple
(The one right over the FPR where we were working)
We didn't even hear it.. luckily it fell into Jon's Yard.
About 8" across at the base and easily 25' long.
Also a branch at least 12" across and 35' long fell right down the
street, Another huge limb ripped in half on Jon's other side, plus a
few small trees are gone.

This destruction stretches from about 20 miles south of us to at
least 60 miles north......

This is just down the street.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Oh, Ric, I am so sorry about the deaths in your area--how sad! It must have been straight line winds (as opposed to a tornado) that did all the damage.

(Zone 3b)

44°
Cloudy with isolated showers. Highs in the 50s.
Southeast wind 10 to 15 mph.
ric~sorry, too, for the loss of life there.
That's quite a mess to clean up ~ just glad it's not on either your's or your neighbor's home. Good idea to use the LED lights, too.
marsue~that's one cute cat; nice pic.
MySharona~the combination of the bright red flower and the gorgeous shade of green of the butterfly, reminds me that Christmas is coming.

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 7a)

So sorry to hear about the deaths from Ike. My sympathies go to the families.

Wow, that IS a huge limb! Very glad no one was hurt.

Another lovely rose, Mau.

71°F with 84º for later. It feels warmer than 71º.
Feels like: 71°F

Barometer: 30.2 in ↑
Dewpoint: 34°
Humidity: 26%
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 7:08 AM
Sunset: 7:35 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Marsue, I ran out of time to mop, so I did rest :o) That was a beautiful day you had.

Sharon, I never did get a picture. They are a couple of inches long or better and scary looking. Someone said they don't bother you, but I sure get out of their way. They dig holes, sting a cicada to paralize it and bury it for the young to feed on. I know, but it's nature. Believe me, I need all those kitchens, and they're small! I absolutely love that picture of Badness!! What a scamp!!

Kiska, I love how interested they are over the potatoes and what a wonderful way to introduce them to food that tastes better than store bought. Next year I'm doing more than the reds.

Sharon, praying for the best for Gary. He's had to go thru some tough stuff. He sure deserves to be cured. The birdbath is beautiful!! I'll bet Jeff was suprised, especially since he had a chance to get it for you for Mothers day :o)

Marsue, I love Medallion. I had one live for a couple of years and it was so beautiful!

Get well Sugar. These fall colds are no fun. I've fought off sinus so far and hope to keep it away!

Kiska, we plant potatoes at the end of March if the weather is good, or sometime in April. They die down around August and we dig. We plant about 4'' deep and pull the dirt up so they don't sunburn as they grow upwards.(info for Sharon)

Kwanjin, Monte is definately a personality!

Sharon, I had two cardinals im my tree yesterday and I thought of you!

Ric, so glad you have power! Luckily some of that 14 hours was night. Aww, bent and broken.

Marsue, that's some butterfly kiss :o)

Ric, the lighting was a good idea!! I'm glad you made it thru with just a little damage. It's too bad people died.

Kiska, lovely fall color already. My clove current is also starting to color up. Christmas is nice, but lets not hurry things :o)

Kwanjin, that is a beautiful vine, leaves and blooms!

65* and the mist quit speckling everything. I need to go mow. Especially since DH is picking up walnuts!!

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Evenin'! All! It is so nice & 'fall-ish' outside, with a temp of 66°. But the skeeters are still out. We've been partying all week end. Today's JW's birthday! Can you believe it?! My time flies when you're having fun! :D (pictures to come! :)
At Dublin...
Clear: 70°F
Feels like: 70°F
Barometer: 30.1 in
Dewpoint: 59°
Humidity: 68%
Wind: 5 mph NW
Sunrise: 7:05 AM
Sunset: 7:29 PM
UV Index: 0 Low

Ric, sorry to here about the winds there. We didn't get much, but we did get a little of the rain. :)
Kiska, Looks like everyone was really into the potatoes! ;) Is the red a little Maple? Some leaves are falling off here, but none are turning, yet. They probably will by the end of next month.
Marylyn, (when you read this) I am so thankful that you are safe.
Sharon, Glad that Gary's tumor marker is almost 0! Yay! A Wonderful sign! :D Your kitty is not Bad, but instead..really cute! Love the bird bath! Gorgeous! Thanks for keeping us informed about Marylyn.
Marsue, Glad you didn't get the bad winds from Ike! Love the Sulphur! And no wonder that your Medallion is one of your favorites! :D
Celia! LOL It looks as if Monty is squinting in the sun! :D
Sally, You are ever busy in the fall! Busy, busy, busy...
Sidney, Hope that you feel better really soon!
Adina, Lots of work you all have done, but it will be well worth the wait, huh? And beautiful, too!

The trivia is...
Buys-Ballot's Law describes what?
a) The relationship between temperature and pressure
b) The relationship between wind direction and the pressure distribution
c) The relationship between temperature and volume
d) The relationship between pressure and volume

Have a Great Evening!
Joey

(sorry about the fuzzies)

Thumbnail by music2keep
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

One more... :D

Thumbnail by music2keep
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Dark. I wanted to post while it was "almost dark", but got tied up (where does the time (and sunlight go?))

(Zone 3b)

Happy Birthday, JW~~been fun sharing your first year and your cake looks great. B will be my guess....
The red leaves are Highbush Cranberry. It's a young plant so isn't very tall yet.
Dyson~dark is coming; sorry you missed "almost dark".
bp~you're so right~nothing as fresh as home grown. We also grow peanut potatoes, but not this year.
Moments ago; momma and twin moose. This is one of the twins.

Thumbnail by kiska
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Big winds here yesterday with plenty of downed trees and power outages. I happened to step outside around dark and heard a tree go down in my back woods. I checked it out today and it was a very large black cherry. Enough wood there to keep my campfire ring going for years. Other than a lot of small branches in the yard and my Mexican Sunflowers breaking off and blowing away in the wind like tumbleweeds no other significant damage to report. It was interesting to note that the all time high for Sept. 14 was 93° in 1953 and the all time low was 34° a year later in 1954!

Extended forecast.........Moderate temps and10 days of sunshine!

God bless those poor people down in Texas. What a mess. It's good to hear Marylyn is OK.

It's very "fall like" here today with cool temps, dark menacing clouds and a stiff breeze. Farmers are cutting their cornfields and the soybeans are turning a golden yellow. I picked another apple tree and a couple bushels of pears.

Sidney.........I came down with the head cold from hell last Friday evening. I feel your pain.

Adinamiti...........Your house is looking great! The tile looks wonderful!

I packaged the hollyhock seeds for all who wanted them and will mail tomorrow.

Photo: Golden, glowing sunlit field of soybeans with black clouds on the horizon. Since I accidentally deleted it from my camera you will just have to use your imaginations!

Replacement photo: Recent sunrise.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Rough day!
Off work for the outage....cut limbs till about 4 PM

Here's one of the trees at our neighbor's place

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Ric, I'm so sorry you had such hard time and so scary! Sorry for those poor people who died , how sad! Still glad you are OK!
Joey, Happy Belated Birthday for JW's 1st year of life ! He's such a sweetie!
Kiska, twin mooses, how cute! What great helps you had there for the potatoes!
Sharon, the bird bath is so beautiful! Cute picture of the 'badness'! Thanks for the update on Marylyn, I'm glad she is OK!
Marsue, what a beautiful rose !
Celia, Monty is so cute and beautiful! Love your flowers too!
E_B, thanks, gorgeous sunset!
Sidney, I hope you are feeling better today!
Billy, do you have a big lawn to mow?
It's been pouring last night, on our way home from work, T&Ps, strong winds...like a nightmare! Finally we got home and, trying to open the gate I got soaked ! My petunia pot was thrown down on the terrace, maybe the wind because the doggies were outside!
Sunset a few days ago...
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Yesterday morning the clouds were coming.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Ric – I’m so sorry to hear of all the damage and deaths in your area. So glad you and your friends/neighbors made it through safely.
Marsue – The Sulphur and Salvia are beautiful! I’m so ready for cooler weather.
Kiska – Your pictures make me anxious for Fall!
Celia – Pretty MG’s!
Sally - So glad you have Cardinals! They are so pretty!
Joey – Give JW a big hug and kiss for me! He is just darlin’! Clueless on the Trivia – Going with E = Shopping with Sharon LOL! No, I don’t know ummm A? It sounds the most plausible.
Dyson – It’s goes to the “other side” LOL!
Kiska – A peanut potato? Never heard of it. Silly question, but regardless, do they taste different, different textures? Love the moose!
E_B – LOL~ the replacement photo is just as gorgeous! Glad you are felling better. SIL lives in Beaver County, she has lots of wind, downed trees, but her pet menagerie and house made it with no damage.
Adina – Your MG’s look like they enjoyed all the rain! So pretty! Hopefully you can save the petunias. Glad you made it home safely :)

74.2 °F / 23.4 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 94%
Dew Point: 72 °F / 22 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/hfrom the SW
Wind Gust: 1.0 mph / 1 km/h
Pressure: 29.91 in / 1012.8 hPa(Rising)
Heat Index: 72 °F / 22 °C

Today
Partly cloudy. A 30% chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 92. West winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the north in the afternoon.

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 7a)

I don't have much time as I'm going to have time to do some actual work in the yard today. A little clean-up, some bulbs going in and such.

Great pics, everyone. Love them. They keep me going for the day.

I glad Gary is doing so much better. I can't wait for the day that the numbers are 0 across the board.

67°F with 84º for later. It's slightly breezy now and it feels great! Perfect for working outside.
Feels like: 67°F

Barometer: 30.1 in ↑
Dewpoint: 36°
Humidity: 32%
Wind: 9 mph SSE
Sunrise: 7:09 AM
Sunset: 7:33 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

I forgot to say...Happy Birthday, JW!!! Yea! He is the cutest little guy ever!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Rain in the morning, Heavy overcast the rest of the day. So it was sorta dark all day.

Or should that be one word - sortadark? Like a downpause (when you are driving in the rain and go under a bridge).

(Zone 7a)

LOL

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks Dyson. I like the way you think.
I am not worse, but not better???
Appreciate all the well wishes.
My heart is swooning watching the Beatles on PBS.
Sidney

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

60°F this evening falling to a low of 48° later tonight. Only rain now in the forecast is a chance of showers next Monday. Other then that it's SUN, SUN, SUN!!!

I've cleaned out most of the flower beds the past week or so and run everything through the shredder. I chipped up all the branches that came down in the storm and started a new compost pile. It was a great year for apples. I picked another bushel of Yellow Delicious and a bushel of Red Delicious.

Sharona..........We still have a lot of places without power in Western Pa. The local paper said we had 70 mph winds. Not much compared to the Texas coast but enough to do a lot of damage none the less.

Joey.........It's hard to believe the little lunker is a year old already. Feed the poor kid! He looks like he's wasting away!

Photo: A place for contemplation.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.