What weird weather we're having #2

(Laura) Olympia, WA(Zone 8a)

We came form here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/896917/

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

The Graves Creek area is an open Arboreal forest with many streams and has a road that access the area by crossing from Glacier park to the East and heads west to HWY 93. This area is empty of people and many trails access the area. This is a photo of some of the upper ends of Graves creek.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
(Judi)Portland, OR

sally I love the river photo - how lucky to have that so close by.
redchic My sister lives in Oakridge so I do get down to that area. I will check it out! Thanks for the info.
My tomatoes are all starting to turn red. Yesterday I couldn't help popping a few cherry toms in my mouth. Yea!

Eugene, OR

I was talking about the heron before, so look who popped in this afternoon for a look around. There was a pair, they didn't stay long. But if it's our resident pair, they'll be back. I'll have to check the trees in back.

Thumbnail by Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

redchic...the news last night said that fire burned 3 acres. Must have gone really fast. It was in a field with dry grass and according to the news they said it was apparently caused by a lawn mower. Wasn't a regular mower for sure LOL! Had to be a tractor type like we use on our fields.

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

Portland, wow is it ever a small world. How long has your sister been in oakridge and does she like it? Right now it's looking as if the best time to take a drive up aufderheide dr for the fall colors, is likely going to be around the last week in Sept.

Sally, what a beautiful heron.....but it doesn't have a pond this time of year does it, maybe it's a little turned around with the weather as well? Lucky for the people at Pisgah that you called that fire in!!! It sounds as if it was trying to take off some, even though it's not all that dry yet. What an entertaining day or two it has been! Where was everyone tonight??

Eugene, OR

I was catching up on my tatting homework, have to finish before Wednesday class.

I was so bummed yesterday, we went to get a piece of linoleum to put on the work counter for the shed, got it home and found out they hadn't cut it even and it was 2 in. too narrow on one end. So back we went today to HD and they acted like it happens all the time. Maybe they don't mind driving all the way in to fix a stupid mistake, but it really bugs me. Then I had to show the guy it still wasn't right when he went to cut the new piece, the end of the roll wasn't square so naturally the piece wasn't either. ARRRGGGHH!!!!

This weather is fantastic!! I even have some tomatoes trying to get ripe. The Herons were back today, there is a small amount of water in a deep hole that pretty much stays. Plus it's a clay base so it's like a bowl that fills whenever we get any rain, just don't get the pond until we get lots more rain.

Plus the garage doors were installed and I found a crack in one of the windows, they have to order a new one. I think they were hoping I wouldn't notice, I almost didn't. The sun hit it just right when I walked by.

Feel like we take 3 steps forward and 1 step back.

Great pic Sofer!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Don't you just hate it when people don't take any pride in what they do? Like you should have to "catch" the things they've done wrong. You paid for it to be done right. They should own up to it. It's exhausting, I'll bet.

But you're on it and it sounds to me like your steps are all forward . . .

Eugene, OR

Just don't need extra trips into town. Takes too much time and of course the price of gas. And yes I hate it when people don't take pride in their work. I spent 35 years in manufacturing and I was my own worst inspector LOL. I just need to stop assuming the job will be done correctly and go from there.

It'll be done eventually, then we'll enjoy it. Thanks for letting me vent.

Sally, I'm feeling a little stupid here, but what is tatting? So sorry all the cronstruction stuff isn't going as smoothly as it should. What always bothers me is when they try to hide the goof ups. Errors are made and mistakes happen, that just the way things are. I'm almost always ok with it when they say "hey this is what happened, and this is what we'll do to fix it.". But it irks me to no end when they try to hide or ignore it! Feel free to vent. It's a good place for it.

What a treat to have the herons keep returning!

I think that it is supposed to be the same weather tomorrow. I would so much rather stay home and be out doing something in it than going to work. Ugh!

Eugene, OR

But you go to work in it too! No snow!!! And a great chance for more pictures.

Tatting is needlework you do with a shuttle and fine thread. It's used to make doilies or bookmarks mostly and to put edges on hankies and such. I always wanted to learn and a friend talked me into taking a class at Willamalane. It'll be 2 yrs in Jan., she has dropped out (it was too hard with cataracts) and I'm still at it. Right now we're learning how to update very old patterns (making it easier to do them) and we're doing a row on a doily each class. I took to it easily and find it relaxing, along with knitting and crocheted. I knit a shawl and put it in the fair and got a second place. I had made it for sis's Bday and sent her the ribbon too.

That's what irked me about the crack in the window, you could see where someone had wiped the dirt off to look at it.
Could have been when it was made, but more than likely when they installed it.

(Judi)Portland, OR

redchic My sister has been in Oakridge about 4 years. She does like it but I think she gets a little stir crazy in the winter. She and her husband were on their sailboat for about 6 years and when they came back to land they were working with the inoculation program for salmon and spent time at the hatchery near Oakridge. They decided they liked it well enough to settle there for retirement. However, the economy being what it is they are both working part time. My sister is a nurse and is working in the only doctor's office in Oakridge. I retired a few months ago but I also may go back to work part time because of this #*!*#!* economy. The problem is, I'm an architect and I am really burned out from the stress of that so maybe I want to do something different.

It is really irritating when people do sloppy work and do not take responsibility. All they have to do is say "sorry this happened and I will correct it" and usually that works....as long as it does not happen constantly!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

You can't expect people who go to work for the paycheck only to take any pride in anything. Much of the world is that way. Just feel happy that you aren't one of them. I should talk. I have been off for over 5 weeks and am heading back to work tomorrow. Thank goodness! I can't wait to get back in the world of the living. Hello Seattle and soon Juneau. Yahoo.

(Judi)Portland, OR

Why Seattle & Juneau? I don't get it.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Steve - will you be out this way on the 20th? Plant swap is at Gordon's off hwy 9.
I'm sure we could oblige you with more plants, which translates to more work....

Eugene, OR

Another beautiful day and I spent the entire day doing not much of anything. Twisted my back yesterday, decided I needed a day off!

I think the Heron are here to stay. Haven't found the nest yet.

(Trisha) Olympia, WA(Zone 8a)

Seattle and Juneau !?!? My brother lives in Juneau!!! We were all in Portland today. The weather was beautiful.

and the weather is supposed to stay for at least a week and a half!!!!! a few days around 90, which is only so-so. But, I don't care because I'm so happy to have summer back!

Eugene, OR

I'll second that, I have some things I want to refinish. I need the sun for that.

oh my, I do believe that this is the latest that I've seen you up on here Sally. maybe not. I agree about needing the sun to get some stuff done. i wasn't ready for that week of crap or whatever that was.

Neighbors dahlia. It looks sunny to me. I think that I'll keep it as an offer to the foul weather gods and show it to them when I need some sun! lol

Thumbnail by redchic01

Oh, I learned something new today!!! I now know what tatting is!! It sounds as if you're doing great at it Sally. I wouldn't have the patience.

(Judi)Portland, OR

zhinusmom you are right about the weather in Portland - it has been spectacular and today should be the same.
Steve what do you do that takes you to Seattle & Juneau. I love the scenery in Alaska and want to go back.

Eugene, OR

Another wonderful day in Eugene. Had errands to do in town today, so didn't get to the yard much. Just watering and filling feeders. It hit 92 deg DH was in his glory, he likes it hot, I don't. Even the breeze was warm today.

I think doing tedious things makes you learn patience, if you want to do them badly enough. But I remember having to dig the yarn and needles out of the trash when I tried to teach my sis to knit. LOL!!

I love that summer is back. i was a little hot today. But, didn't care because I was happy that winter wasn't here yet! You can definitely tell that fall is arriving though with those strangely warm east winds.

Eugene, OR

I fully agree with that. Fall is on the way, just look at the trees. The cats love it when it's warm because I leave the windows open once it starts to cool down.

That's so true!! One definitely doesn't have to use the more complicated way of gauging the wind, especially when you can just look at the trees!! :-p But, the wind sure feels weird when you not used to gusts of warm wind. If I were a cat, I would love it too.

Eugene, OR

Right now my Siamese is taking turns between the window and the fan! How goes the job? Sofer must be in shock from going back to work, he's not answering. hahaha

Fires are finally out! Thanks for asking. There's still one decent size one going on the Umpqua (I think that's where that smoke cloud was coming from today. Now we're in the clean-up stanges. I.E. pulling out from the fires (the woods) over 2 million feet of hoses, rolling and sending it back to the places that we had to borrow it from. So, all in all, it's good. Normally this time of year folks would sort of be letting there guard down and saying with the amt. of rain that we had that there's not likely to be another one of any size after this time. But, given the funky weather that we've had this year, no one has any idea what to expect. Things are already as dry as they were before the rain, although the rain did green things up, so who knows what's in store..... Did you ever see the chopper back to check on the fire? My guess is no, people were sent in on foot to check it for a few days.

Eugene, OR

No, never saw it again. Sounds like a lot of clean up. We have a no smoking rule in our common areas until October. It's really dry back there, that's why I was concerned when I saw the smoke. Buford always has people doing things in the park, so I quess they would just add "check fire area" to the list.

I'm beat, so good night. Have a good day tomorrow.

I'm beat too! have a good one as well!

Eugene, OR

82 deg today and I spent the afternoon laying a brick border, at least it was in the shade. Looks like we'll be having summer weather for the week. Yeah!!!

(Judi)Portland, OR

red tomatoes!!!

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

That's a beautiful dahlia picture.

Eugene, OR

I've got red tomatoes that aren't ripe, if that makes any sense. The whole tomatoe issue has been disappointing this year, and it's usually wonderful. All the neighbors are having the same problem, so it isn't just our plants. Cherry tomatoes are doing well, so I've got plenty for salad at least. But I don't think I'll be freezing the others this year. :-(

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

It is a conspiracy the tomatoe seed and plants have been hybridized so much to take the shipping in large semi's that they no longer will ripen in the days we short crop people want. This drives us to buying all the tomatoes at high prices in the grocery. Maybe I'm making a joke but I don't think so. I have been growing tomatoes in the same garden for over 12 years and the last 2 years have been slow to ripen when that never before happened.

(Judi)Portland, OR

What is the best fruit to put in a paper bag with green tomatoes to help them ripen? Seems we all have green tomatoes this year. Also, are fried green tomatoes a special type of tomatoes or just unripe tomatoes?

(Trisha) Olympia, WA(Zone 8a)

Take your pick.......there are heirloom tomatoes that are Green when they are ripe, but grandma always used the green tomatoes that didn't have time to ripen to make her fried green tomatoes......oh yum!!!

(Judi)Portland, OR

I have never had fried green tomatoes but have always wanted to try them. Now is the time!

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Fried green tomatoes are yummy, and a good choice to go into the sack with the green toms is an apple. Lots of ethylene (?) gas.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Sad, though. We were talking fried green tomatoes at this time last year, too, if I remember correctly.

They may be good, but I want some red ones to slice up and put in with my lemon cucumbers. No better combination, imo.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.