Blooming in August

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

These daisies FINALLY are blooming. I was beginning to think they were messin' with me. :)

We got another 3" of rain today. My poor passi is down to 2 leaves. :(
I took a cutting out of desperation and will try to root it.

Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

I sure hope we get some of that rain! Is that 'Becky'? I've gotten rid of every Shasta I've tried so far but I haven't tried her yet.

There is a patch of Cardinal Flower blooming in a ditch I pass on the way to work. It's showy enough to catch my eye at high speeds,lol.

I'm happy to have a new bloom today- almost.

Hibiscus grandiflora in bud.

Thumbnail by chamthy
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

S'posed to be "Miss Muffet" (aka Chrysanthemum maximum nanum 'Silver Princess'). Purported to bloom "late spring to early summer".
Not in this garden. :)

I have Cardinal Flower "Ruby Slippers" blooming like mad (picture), not as much luck with the regular red one, tho.

Looking forward to seeing that hibiscus in bloom.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Smithfield, NC

I had Ruby Slippers for a year, then lost it. :( It's a gorgeous color.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

You didn't give them to the witch did you?

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Hey Deb! Gorgeous Cardinal flower in the pic. How's all this rain treating your yard? Our grass is growing like MAD. I hope some of you upstaters get some of the remnants of Fay...looks like you will. I have a new post of our new property and would love any feedback I can get. Check it out if you want to at:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/895789/

Amy

Smithfield, NC

Core, no I didn't give them to the witch -- not unless she had some Vedariensis to trade. :)

Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

Ruby Slippers is a gorgeous color!

Presenting...the bloom

Thumbnail by chamthy
Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

I also managed to get a fairly accurate pic of

Salvia 'Silke's Dream'

Thumbnail by chamthy
Smithfield, NC

Zwanenberg Blue

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Amy: The rain left my yard pretty darn soggy! LOL. Lost a passiflora and a coreopsis, but all the other plants are loving it! (Gonna go take a look at your "spread". :> )
Chamthy: That's a beauty!
Deb

Smithfield, NC

Rosa rugosa rubra

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Smithfield, NC

Mutabilis

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Smithfield, NC

Brazilian Blue Sage

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Sweetbay - I absolutely love the rose color! Is that a climber or shrub?

Kannapolis, NC

Sweetbay, love those blues, the Zwanenberg and Brazilian blue sage. Are they perennial? Can I get some seed next year, please, please, please?

Smithfield, NC

ascholz both the R. rugosa rubra and the Mutabilis are shrubs. Mutabilis is a China rose that gets pretty big, at least 6' x 6', but handles pruning well. Not sure how big the rugosa rubra will get, but my albas have topped out at 3-4 feet and now are now growing wider than tall.

Hemophobic the Zwanenberg Blue and the Brazilian Blue Sage are perennial. I've had the spiderwort for over 10 years and expect to have it forever. I've never collected seeds from my spiderworts, but the Zwanenberg Blue seedlings have turned out paler than the parent. If you want Zwanenberg Blue you'll need divisions. I'll send you a D-mail.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Sweetbay: I didn't realize til now that Brazilian sage and "Black and Blue" salvia were the same. :)
It's my favorite salvia - adore the color. The hummingbirds seem to adore it, too.
That Mutabilis is verrrry pretty, by the way.
Deb

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Mutabilis is my favorite rose and, of course, I don't have a good spot for one but I am working on it. Trying to convince the DH that we should toss some large loropetalums; what an overused plant they are in my neighborhood.

Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

I like the color of the Rosa rugosa rubra. Did you grow that one from seed?

I traded rednyr for this canna

Journey's End

Thumbnail by chamthy
Smithfield, NC

Wow, neat canna. Do you know the cultivar name?

I did grow the R. rugosa rubra from seed. It looks exactly like the seed parent. It will probably set hips this year and start sending out runners next year.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Chamthy: Good trade! :)

Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

Sweetbay- this is it. I wonder if bloom color is affected by temperature?

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/37378/

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

chanthy, when Journey's End's blooms verrry first open the spots are pink and then turn pretty quickly to orange. I would see why you would ask that based on the pictures there

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Shari - I really like that canna!

We got a bit of rain so I have a few more rain lilies.

Zephybranthes 'Norma Pearl'

Thumbnail by TomH3787
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Something for the hummingbirds... Bouvardia ternifolia

Thumbnail by TomH3787
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

NOID canna

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Think this is rodeo drive. It didn't like this year. First bloom.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

Well I guess I need to plant that canna so it can increase(blushing). Love Norma Pearl. Z. citrina is about to- along with a couple of brugs. I totally dis those brugs and they still set buds. If I really wanted to see them bloom they wouldn't,lol. If they continue to bloom without much attention I might have to change my outlook on them..which was that they were too much trouble:-)

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Just noticed this one.

Gordon's Picotee Datura Metel.

Bet you don't have this Trent. First flower so I'll try to get a better picture along the way.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI

Core, my hibiscus did not like the hot weather we had this summer and the flowers were few and far between. This is when they should start to shine.

This is June's Joy, she is a heavy bloomer for me.

Thumbnail by ardesia
Smithfield, NC

Monarch caterpillar feasting on milkweed.

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Smithfield, NC

Adult Monarch feeding on Buddleia "Potter's Purple"

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

Still haven't seen any Monarchs here. I went out to see what I could find and got my first decent hummer shot.

Thumbnail by chamthy

That is a great shot!

We have had a good number of monarchs here and this week a Giant Swallowtail has been enjoying my citrus trees and the bottlebrushes. What an awesome butterfly but they don't stay still for a second; I am finding it impossible to get a good photo of it.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

you're right core! Its a beauty is this its first bloom??

Tom and Ardesia - gorgeous color! Thanks for sharing

rebecca30

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Trent that is the first blom on the datura. That ID may not be right. That's a F-2 and not all that stable thought I had one that came true from seed. Been told that's not right. Supposed to be a yellow rim and white center.

Picture and seeds courtesy of Xeramtheum.

Very fragrant BTW.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Didn't know that ardesia. My plain Jane hibiscus have been blooming pretty well all summer, water seems to be the limiting factor. The hybrids are being difficult.

Another thing about the tropical hibiscus they do not like the bloom buster fertilizers. Low phosphorus (middle number in NPK) is important.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.