Blooming in August

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

it paid off this year to remove several buds early on from the dinnerplate burgandy hib I have - it is now blooming a second time and I am really enjoying it today!

Thumbnail by rednyr
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

the pollen oi the trumpet lily is just crazy! and it smells like heaven...if of course I knew what heaven smelled like...gee I hope it smells like this...where you never have to water your flowers and they just grow like miracle grow monsters LOL

Thumbnail by rednyr
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

the angelonia is truly a trooper in this heat......

Thumbnail by rednyr
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

I took some old hoses the other day and made 'soaker' hoses outta em for this outta control feast by the back deck...someone spit a watermelon seed I guess cause right in the middle is watermelon growing! LOL

hey does anyone know how to get fireants outta a pot without killing the plant? The BOP in this pic has them in it and I hate to take it out of the pot but not quite sure what to do...anyone have any suggestions? I have tried drowning them out with lots of water but thus far it has not worked....

Thumbnail by rednyr
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

move it on to a deck or cement that doesn't get too hot and isnt close to the grass. this worked for me. i put a pot full of ants like that on a chair and it worked too. they just move somewhere else

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Ardesia: I like the paint-splash color on that Purple magic.
And I love thunbergia. In Costa Rica, it seemed to cover every fence and wall!
Also, I think it must be worth getting on ones hands and knees to see that curcuma. :)

Rednyr: I adore your out-of-control area there! Just beautiful (nice flag, too.)

I liked this pic of these two House Finches, just the way the mom was looking up. I think she was watching for a belligerant Bluejay that had been bullying everyone else at the feeder. After I took this, she hopped in and started feeding the other who stayed on the edge, squawking and flapping his little wings.

Deb
PS/Major OOPS! Just realized that these birds aren't "blooming in August!" LOL.

This message was edited Aug 10, 2008 2:46 PM

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

OK, here's something actualy blooming.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Kannapolis, NC

Debin, how pretty. What sunflower is this?

Sunset Beach, NC(Zone 8a)

I'm happy to announce 3 blooms open (one more in waiting) on this crinum. I really like these.

Thumbnail by BDunn
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Trent, my pinecones were in the way of the addition on the house. I dug them out intending to move them someplace else, and have never gotten around to it. They are very much alive but not too happy just sitting there since February. Bad ginger mommy here.

On the other side of the house I have this wierd looking one about to pop. It is a Costus scaber, AKA French Kiss. I'll post again after the flowers start opening.

Deb, I LOVE bird families and think they should always be welcome here. I wish I could get a good pic of my bluebirds; I have been feeding them meal worms and they are fascinating to watch as they feed the young.

Thumbnail by ardesia
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

oh please keep us posted on the costus.... they are so neat!

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

First plumeria to bloom for me.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Orange Esperanza, bet no one has that around here???

I know it's small by I've been growing them from seed this year. Have yellow ones too.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Anyone know what this is?

Got it in a seed trade as a yellow butterfly bush. It said it was Buddleja but it's looking like some else to me. It grow fast and has been flowering for 6 weeks straight what ever it is.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Core: I believe it's Butterfly Weed, Asclepias tuberosa?

This message was edited Aug 10, 2008 7:06 PM

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Hemophobic: Should've ID's my photo, sorry! That's a gazania - can't recall exactly which one, though.
Ardesia: Looking forward to seeing what happens with French Kiss!
Deb

Kannapolis, NC

There is a yellow buddleia, but this looks more like butterfly weed.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I know there is a yellow one and I wanted it because in the wind the back sides of the leaves are silver and look nice blowing around. Bonus. Flowers don't stand out as much as black night or one like that.

Think you are right on the butterfly weed Asclepias tuberosa. The thing is I specifically asked for the latin name. LOL. Oh well.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

bd your crinum is awesome! and Debin I think your bird picture is just precious...the mom really looks like she is hearing someone whisper to her....very neat pic! and core look at that plumi....holy cow! well we may be suffering a drought but I for one find a lot of joy in seeing how everyone else is faring in their yard with what I know must be alot of TLC!

ardesia - that french kiss is surely gonna be a stopper when it opens~!

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

CoreHHI - the yellow flower is the yellow form of Asclepias curassavica. It's a tropical and not very cold-hardy (PlantFiles says 8a but I'm skepical of that, my parents are in 8b and lost theirs last winter). I'd suggest saving seeds if you want to grow it next year.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Think you're dead on Tom. Picture looks exactly the same. Not sure if I want to grow this again. I think it would good planted in mass but I'm not sure where I would put a mass of them. LOL. I will save the seeds to trade or maybe plant them again.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

i have the red and yellow one i like it a lot. i have seeds, if you want normal ones, core, but it sounds like you dont. tell me if you do. lts of butterflies and hummingbirds visit it. i'll have to see how it does over the winter

Thumbnail by 1cros3nails4gvn
Smithfield, NC

Tom I think you're right about the crinum being x digweedi. It's a passalong from Alabama and the flowers look exactly like the pic of the flowers in Scott Odgen's book Garden Bulbs for the South. Fragrance and bloom time match too.

Turk's Cap lily grows wild on my place; we found the original stand at the edge both of the woods and of a natural spring. I've got them planted now where they are surrounded by very hard packed earth; otherwise the voles would probably eat them in a heartbeat.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Here's a morning glory bush. Another one I started from seed. It's not a vine and should grow into a good size bush without spreading all over the place.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

This guy was looking rough up to about two weeks ago. Boom it grew and flowered all of a sudden.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Kannapolis, NC

CoreHH: I've never seen a morning glory bush. What's it's botanical name? Where did you get the seed? Is it fragrant?

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/52996/

There you go. I recieve them in a trade last year from a guy named Don (lazlo DG name).

Can't tell you much about them right now. Easy to germinate and they're growing well. Maybe 3 ft high now. Just started blooming for me a couple of weeks ago but the blooms are multipling fast. Looks just like a MG but a bush. Seeds are a little different. Bigger and hairy looking. The only draw back is they don't seem vary much color wise. MG vines come in a huge assortment of colors. Not fragrant and I haven't noticed humming bird going after it yet. I have MG vines and the hummer love them. They show up right at dusk almost every night when their around.

This message was edited Aug 12, 2008 9:40 PM

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

This is right side up. LOL. seems I didn't turn the picture.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I also got these seeds from Lazlo. According to him it's hardy to 8B and it flowers off and on all year even durning the winter. He also said it can be used as a small tree or trimmed back every year easily.

I'm interested in how these turn out. Lots of projects with plants I don't know this year.

I did get some funny looks from people this spring when I had all these seeds in little pots. LOL.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/64960/

This message was edited Aug 13, 2008 10:41 AM

Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

OK- who in the world named that crinum, Felder Rushing? I've read too many PDN catalogs and thought you were being funny Tom. When sweetbay103 dmailed me I thought- no way! LOL. The pic of 'Royal White' you took at Daniel Stowe BG looks very much like it.

Shari

Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

I wish the bloom time was longer on this. I may try one of the Plant Delights selections one day.

New York Ironweed

Thumbnail by chamthy
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

LOL, I thought that name was hysterical too. It has to be a C. americanum and for me they are terrible weeds that I have to dig a lot.

Smithfield, NC

Crinum x digweedii is a C. americanum x C. scabrum hybrid, also known as "Royal White" and "Nassau". That is nomenclature for a PD catalog or Felder Rushing book, lol.

This message was edited Aug 13, 2008 12:31 PM

This message was edited Aug 13, 2008 12:34 PM

Smithfield, NC

Swamp milkweed

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

bouganvillea... if you cant see in the picture, it starts white then begins to turn light, but hot pink... i forget the name. these are just starting to turn. this was taken with my phone, so excuse the quality.... you already know about my camera situation

This message was edited Aug 13, 2008 1:04 PM

This message was edited Aug 13, 2008 1:05 PM

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

my brug

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

pinecone ginger from alice blooming

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

plumeria seedlings (seeds from hetty aka Dutchlady1)

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

plumeria pudica... one of the fastest growing and most reliable bloomers of all the plumerias and species plumeria. it is a species plumeria itself, but lacks the wonderful fragrance of most plumeria, and is a plain white. it had 8 inflo's before i took a cutting from it... now it has 7

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

the whole plant

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.