Blooming in August

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

elephant ears are getting big. the illustris are blooming now

Thumbnail by 1cros3nails4gvn
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

red dragon flower Huernia schneiderniana.... great plant i love it. roots very easily

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

whole plant

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

trent - what size pots are the plumis in?

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

that one is a 5 i think and it will stay in it for a while. that one was a large 3 tipped cutting so thats whay the pot is so big. my other ones coop ones) are in 1-3 gallon pots. they all have about one more year in those pots until i repot them.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

ok cool thanks - I had been thinking about repotting a few of the plumis as about 3 of the 12 seem wayyyy ahead of the others and they are all in 1 gal pots...

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

well if they are reeeaaally rootbound, then you might want to put them in larger pots, but othrwise you dont have to

Kannapolis, NC

Here's Platycodon blooming today, as it has been for some time now.

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

Some rudbeckia that moved into my garden a few years ago and decided to stay, but moves around from place to place, depending upon her whim.

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

Leucanthemum. My very well behaved Shasta daisy stays put.

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

And dependable Impatiens for shady spots and planters always excels.

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

Must remember to make sure my feet and camera strap are out of the view finder!

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

lol happens to me all the time!

Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

Trent, that Red Dragon flower is pretty cool looking. I bet my cats would leave that alone,lol.

The Swamp milkweed looks happy. When in the season would the Monarch larvae be feeding if it did? Nothing feeds on my orange butterfly weed but those bugs:( Bronze fennel is munched without fail though.

Hemophobic, I think that's my favorite Rudbeckia triloba.

Abutilon megapotamicum

Thumbnail by chamthy
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

thanks. actually its not prickly at all, if thats what you're getting at. those points are just soft extentions of the leaves and it blooms a lot... very easy plant

Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

Heartleaf Ice Plant from Tropicanna at the Garner RU.

Aptenia cordifolia

Thumbnail by chamthy
Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

Darn, maybe they would dislike the texture? My cats are terrible for grazing on houseplants. I'd love to have that on my desk. The room gets plenty of light.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

chamthy, I love that stuff!!

this water hyacinth I have been keeping in a fish bowl for redyr for over a month now because I left it behind for the RU

Thumbnail by Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

when I visited tigerlily she had heliconias blooming.....I don't know all the names

Thumbnail by Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

and this one...

Thumbnail by Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

bad picture, but another one...lol, they're so cool

Thumbnail by Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

big ol crinum asiaticums

Thumbnail by Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

and ....yeah, there's a lot of cool stuff here, but those huge hibiscus were pretty awesome

Thumbnail by Tropicanna
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

chamthy:
hmmm stapelia gigantea? might not like the smell of that...

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

nice water hyacinth trop! lol....

Smithfield, NC

I think the Monarch caps are out now, although the only time I've noticed them was when there were a few clinging to the stems of milkweed that blister beetles had stripped. However, there's few blister beetles around this year which makes me very happy. Lots and lots of butterflies. I'll check the common milkweed patch by the horse pasture -- if there are Monarch caps they're sure to be there.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I've never seen a monarch in real life

Smithfield, NC

I never know whether I'm looking at a Viceroy or Monarch butterfly. Looking at field guides hasn't helped either because I haven't been able to look at a feeding butterfly long enough to tell the difference.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

The only time I've seen monarchs here is when they fly by on the beach. I think its in the fall when can see hundreds of them fly by going South. I don't think they stop here at all.

My memory is a little foggy on that. May be that they are flying North in the spring. One way or another there was a lot of them flying up the dunes.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

oh maybe i'll keep an eye open. the closest thing ive seen to a monarch is a gulf fritillary, whose caterpillars have completely defoliated my blue passion flower

Smithfield, NC

I didn't see any Monarch caps this morning, but the common milkweed has been heavily nibbled on.

Helenium 'Mardi Gras'

Thumbnail by
Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

I just love that Helenium! Have you had it long? I have a Helenium that never has any petals on the flower. It's interesting but I like yours better,lol.

Shari

Leadwort

Thumbnail by chamthy

Chamthy- it's a 2 year old plant purchased at a local nursery for $12. I finally got a baby off of it and here is it's picture. This is year 1 for the baby.

Thumbnail by
Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

I think my "eyeball" one has reseeded. Maybe I'll get better flowers from the seedlings. I think Helenium likes more moisture than I normally can provide but we had enough rain this year to get decent "bloom".

Smithfield, NC

I love that Helenium too.

I have one patch of Carolina Bog Mint left after last year's drought.

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Smithfield, NC

Closer look at flowers

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Sweetbay: I am embarrassed to say that I've never heard of Carolina Bog Mint, but I'm sure going to look it up. Very pretty!
Chamthy: Chuckling about your "eyeball" plant. :)

NOID daylily. Pretty apricot color and I like it so I'm going to have to go look and see if I can remember where I got it. :)
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

Cool pics.

Chamthy- what's your secret with the abutilon? I've killed most of those you posted pictures of before. ;*>

Here's a pic of my spiral ginger that's blooming.

Thumbnail by bordersandjacks
Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

Here's a pic of the fighter squadron (aka hummingbirds) outside my backdoor. We have a few more feeders out there, too. You can't believe the noise. Good thing these guys are so tiny or I'd be dead- boy are they aggressive!!!!

Thumbnail by bordersandjacks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.