Blooming in August

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

colocasia. elephant ear

Thumbnail by 1cros3nails4gvn
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

another elephant ear... the leaves are sometimes cupped somethimes variegated, somtimes both

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

cupped leaf

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Yikes, that hibiscus is a mess; it is likely another caterpillar and I would look carefully and re-locate it (the cat) ASAP. There are hibiscus bugs but they are not common around here. I would see if I could find the culprit and if I couldn't then I would resort to a dust or spray with BT or bacillus thurengensis in it. This is a biologic control, not a chemical.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Trent: your passi's may be more mature than mine. Mine is a young'un started from a 6" cutting that's only been in the ground since June. I think it's just too much water for it's little roots. Funny about the caterpillars - that's one of the reasons I wanted the passiflora, so I'd have more GF butterflies. :)
Deb

Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

Trent, I think your hibiscus pest may be the sawfly. Check out this article and see what you think.

http://www.emmitsburg.net/gardens/articles/frederick/2005/sawflies.htm

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

well it is a hardy hibiscus if that makes any difference in the treatment thanks for the article... i'll go look

This message was edited Aug 23, 2008 5:42 PM

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

i looked and saw nothing except a few real small black dots on one of the stems of a leaf. i saw a few black bumps that could be poop but idk. this is completely confined to one branch.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Last time I had a hibiscus with that look, it was sawfly. But they were clearly visible on the remaining leaves.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

there was a little bright green translucent caterpillar that had back stuff inside which im guessing were its guts. the underside was white. there was only one and it was on a different plant

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

BT?????? Oh I wish they still sold dursban.

Trent please keep the sawflies down the road at your house. I've no problem with my hardies and I don't want one. LOL. I did get some sort of weevils in my seeds last year. Bugs hatched after I had bagged up a bunch of seeds.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

ugh gross... well i'll do my best to keep them from spreading...lol this is the first problem ive had with them other than one being too wet oh well

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Trent, if your critters are saw fly larvae (rose slugs) they will not respond to BT because they only look like caterpillars but they are really insects, so you would need another route to clean them up. It is important that you discern which you have because insecticides won't work on cats. Very confusing, Huh?

http://www.sactorose.org/ipm/84rosesawflies.htm

Edited to add many insecticides won't work on cats but some of them will kill anything, including us. I advocate products with BT on cats because it is one of the safer materials to use - only if necessary.

This message was edited Aug 24, 2008 9:41 AM

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

...so youre saying to remove all the affected leaves and kill the worms like the other website says?

Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

I'm in a picture taking mood....

Gloxinia nematanthodes 'Evita'

Thumbnail by bordersandjacks
Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

Sulphur butterfly on cuphea.... ignea maybe?

Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

Rudbeckia triloba and friend

Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

O.k., since we're in a "show us your insect damage mode", isn't this kind of cool?

Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

Female Eastern Pondhawk (Erythemis simplicicollis)

Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

I learned something new this year, if you don't cut back your pentas (like your other hollow stemmed marginal perennials) they might come back. These red pentas returned from last year, as did the sedum that is just starting to bloom. It's the really common one- Autumn Joy (I think.)

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

those holes are cool. i figured out that the variegation on my EE's is mosaic virus. bwilliams told me some pretty valuable info about it

Quoting:
As for the blotches this is something I have been noticing for sometime on Colocasias and Alocasias. I don't think anyone is going to be happy with the rest of my message here. I am sure what you are seeing as odd blotches streaking in the leaves is in fact a virus. This seems to be a form of Mosaic virus. It looks to be the same virus effecting Cannas and I have even started seeing it on bananas. It can be spread from any sap transfer. This virus will not kill the plant and at times it may look completely gone if grown in good conditions but under stress or if heavily virused it will show up. It seems this virus will effect any Aroid so do be careful when cutting plants or using digging tools. From what I have gathered their are many forms of mosaic virus most can be in plants and never show a sign or even effect the growth of the plant. The problem is an Asian form of the virus that has been sweeping through the US for a number of years. This virus weakens the plant and can effect growth and vigor. Also if combined with other forms of the virus it can really effect a plants growth and at times even cause death. Most cannas tested had several forms of virus in them with no visual signs of it. All forms with this new Asian form of the virus all showed signs at least at some point while growing.

This message was edited Aug 24, 2008 2:00 PM

This message was edited Aug 24, 2008 2:00 PM

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

and...

Quoting:
Well the only well known way the virus is being spread is from sap transfer this is the only positive way we know it is being spread. The fact is it seems at times jump or spread quickly to other plants. This maybe caused by insects. At the rate it spreads it will soon be in everyones yard and collections. The worst part was it was introduced to some larger canna companies years ago and rather than destroy their stock they sold them across the US. This helped spread the virus like wild fire. Some plants carry the virus and show no signs other have signs from time to time. It is pretty much impossible to say for certain that any plant does or does not have the virus

well it turns out that half of my ee's had it, so now those that showed signs are in the trash. i'll keep an eye on them though.

This message was edited Aug 24, 2008 4:47 PM

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

this is a terrestrial bromeliad that is blooming. i think it is an aechmea. it is a very blurry picture, so dont stare at it too long or it will hurt your eyes.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

farther away

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

colocasia affinis jenningsii. ok, well its not blooming, but its a nice elephant ear. it came from bwilliams on the marketplace

This message was edited Aug 24, 2008 4:53 PM

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

its a rather small plant, even once it gets mature

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

plumeria with a double inflorescence and a leaf sticking out of the inflo.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Not much blooming here except for a few of the container plants. Except for a few sprinkles we have not had any rain in about 3 weeks.

Clerodendrum incisum - have to catch this one in the evening or in the morning because as soon as the hot sun hits the flowers they wilt.

Thumbnail by TomH3787
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Thunbergia battiscombei is still blooming.

Thumbnail by TomH3787
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I never get any seeds on the T. battiscombei even though the bumblebees are all over it. They crawl inside the flower until only their butt is visible, and I can see they are getting covered in pollen, but it just doesn't set seed for some reason.

Thumbnail by TomH3787
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

This is a portulaca I got from Terry last year. It's growing in one of the large plumeria pots and was overwintered in the garage with no light or water - it unexpectedly survived and came back once I brought the plumie outside in spring. It blooms constantly and roots really easily.

Thumbnail by TomH3787
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Did you photo shop that picture? That is a very intense color.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

The only changes to my pictures are cropping and resizing.

Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

Great pictures. I have nothing of interest blooming that I haven't already posted. My primary bloomers right now are salvias. I do have one daylily reblooming now. I've had this one the longest of any except Stella who barely blooms anymore for me.

Siloam Double Success

Thumbnail by chamthy
Smithfield, NC

Hibiscus dasycalyx

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Smithfield, NC

Seedling dahlia

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Smithfield, NC

Seashore Mallow and Formosa Lily

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Smithfield, NC

Cardinal Flower

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

Lucky you to have some Lobelia! Was it already there or did you grow it from seed? I think all of the ones I grew have died. Mom told me just Friday that hers were gone.

The Seashore Mallow/Lily pic is great for perspective and the Dahlia is gorgeous. I think I'm in love with all the Dahlias I've seen pictured this summer because I've never had any.

Smithfield, NC

The Cardinal Flower just pops up wherever. :) It grows wild in the sloughs and ditches here and I've had the most success with just letting the wild Cardinal Flower do whatever it wants. I've had little success both with seeds and transplanting plants. I had *one* plant from Niche (that I bought to put Cardinal Flower where I didn't have any) that lived for 5 years, but for the most part Cardinal Flower just doesn't live a really long time and has to seed in.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.