What's in doing in your part of the country??? Pt.6

Victoria Harbour, ON

Tallulah, this thread is for anything anyone wishes to talk about..a place to unwind with friends...

I'm crossing my fingers you get the position..excited for you..not often one can say they've had dream jobs...I've had 4...only reason I left any of them was either they closed, relocated and I retired..do let us know...forgot to mention I now returned to the work place to help BIL and I get a paycheck but can't say I work..lol

It rained softly all night, one of those mornings that you could just cuddle back and have no reason to get up...but must do, long trip to city when it's raining...

"M" hope the deer scram works...
Ann - the p.j.'s sound comfy..perfect for a morning such as this..my goodness you also lead a busy life...

Talk later

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

I'm home .. nuff said ..

Best wishes on your securing the full time position Susan .. have a bud in Calgary who worked temp for years and finally did get a full time job with CNIB .. she's very happy :-)

Trying to decide whether to grab 2 hours sleep or just stay up .. the latter seems to be winning as I have stuff to do .. as in go to pick up the DEER SCRAM .. unless I can convince DH to do it .. that way I can sorta tidy up and be able to free up some time for the week end .. gosh this summer is flying by !!

BEEOOOTIFUL day here .. high of 26C yesterday and headedd that way again today .. NOW I am happy to have the AC ... mind .. it was ONLY 8C here this morning .. almost a 'fall crisp' to the air ..

Don't know if anyone remembers me posting re the 'little green bug' that has been making us all nuts here on the outskirts of TBay. I spoke with an Entomologist (not Grissom) :-) and he tells me it's a WEEVIL .. non injurious to people or plants .. they like to munch on Poplar trees and conifers (we have lots of both) .. I don't like'em cuz they fall into my hair off the Patio umbrella .. and everyone elses as well .. but I kinda have a BIG IKkkkkkkk re creepy crawly things in my hair !!

Have a great day everyone !!

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Friend just sent me the following...please take time to enjoy...
Click - next for each new segment...
Certainly put tears in my eyes..

I can't find anything .. not unususal for me it seems :-)

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Old age "M" would have helped if I had put the link...

on each section you must press 'next'

http://pixiesplace.com/trainride/

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

That is a beautiful way to describe life's journey Betty. Thanks for sharing it.

Quoting:
people ask why I travel 100 miles everyday to work in this (concrete city) and it's because when I get home I have such beauty right in my backyard and Georgian Bay just 1/2 miles away..worth the drive...

That is my situation exactly, except we travel about 60 miles and live about 20 minutes away from Goderich and the lovely shores of Lake Huron. Our vision is long term to what we want for our retirement.

We had thunderstorms all night long last night. Our property, which was just beginning to drain, is flooded once more. It has rained every day since I started vacation on Friday, and I'm getting frustrated that I can't get into the gardens to finish the landscaping, catch up on weeding, plant all my new plants, etc.

--Ginny

Victoria Harbour, ON

Pouring rain here today Ginny..calling for hail as well...good side of it all, might not be any left for the weekend AND no need to water the garden AND might be fun to play in the house...NOT..lol

Some of you know I went for a colonoscopy several weeks ago, waiting for 'biopsy' results..

Got the following....do enjoy...

Thought I'd post the following..always humour in everything right?

Dave Barry's Colonoscopy Journal

I called my friend Andy Sable, a gastroenterologist, to make an appointment for a colonoscopy. A few days later, in his office Andy showed me a color diagram of the colon, a lengthy organ that appears to go all over the place, at one point passing briefly through Minneapolis.

Then Andy explained the colonoscopy procedure to me in a thorough, reassuring and patient manner. I nodded thoughtfully, but I didn't really
hear anything he said, because my brain was shrieking, quote, 'HE'S GOING TO STICK A TUBE 17,000 FEET UP YOUR BEHIND!

I left Andy's office with some written instructions, and a prescription for a product called 'Movi Prep,' which comes in a Box large enough to hold
a microwave oven. I will discuss Movi Prep in detail later; for now suffice it to say that we must never allow it to fall into the hands of America's
enemies.

I spent the next several days productively sitting around being nervous. Then, on the day before my colonoscopy, I began my preparation. In accordance with my instructions, I didn't eat any solid food that day; all I had was chicken broth, which is basically water, only with less flavor.

Then, in the evening, I took the Movi Prep. You mix two packets of powder together in a one-liter plastic jug, and then you fill it with lukewarm water.

(For those unfamiliar with the metric system, a liter is about 32 gallons.)

Then you have to drink the whole jug. This takes about an hour, because Movi Prep tastes - and here I am being kind - like a mixture of goat spit and urinal cleanser, with just a hint of lemon. The instructions for Movi Prep, clearly written by somebody with a great sense of humor, state that after you drink it, 'a loose watery bowel movement may result.' This is kind of like saying that after you jump off your roof, you may experience contact with the ground.

Movi Prep is a nuclear laxative. I don't want to be too graphic, here, but: Have you ever seen a space-shuttle launch? This is pretty much the Movi Prep experience, with you as the shuttle. There are times when you wish the commode had a seat belt. You spend several hours pretty much confined to the bathroom, spurting violently. You eliminate everything. And then, when you figure you must be totally empty, you have to drink another liter of Movi Prep, at which point, as far as I can tell, your bowels travel into the future and start eliminating food that you have not even eaten yet.

After an action-packed evening, I finally got to sleep. The next morning my wife drove me to the clinic. I was very nervous. Not only was I worried about the procedure, but I had been experiencing occasional return bouts of Movi Prep spurtage. I was thinking, 'What if I spurt on Andy?' How do you apologize to a friend for something like that? Flowers would not be enough.

At the clinic I had to sign many forms acknowledging that I understood and totally agreed with whatever the heck the forms said. Then they led me to a room full of other colonoscopy people, where I went inside a little curtained space and took off my clothes and put on one of those hospital garments designed by sadist perverts, the kind that, when you put it on, makes you feel even more naked than when you are actually naked.

Then a nurse named Eddie put a little needle in a vein in my left hand. Ordinarily I would have fainted, but Eddie was very good, and I was already lying down. Eddie also told me that some people put vodka in their Movi Prep. At first I was ticked off that I hadn't thought of this, but then I pondered what would happen if you got yourself too tipsy to make it to the bathroom, so you were staggering around in full Fire Hose Mode. You would have no choice but to burn your house.

When everything was ready, Eddie wheeled me into the procedure room, where Andy was waiting with a nurse and an anesthesiologist. I did not see the 17,000-foot tube, but I knew Andy had it hidden around there somewhere. I was seriously nervous at this point. Andy had me roll over on my left side, and the anesthesiologist began hooking something up to the needle in my hand. There was music playing in the room, and I realized that the song was 'Dancing Queen' by Abba. I remarked to Andy that, of all the songs that could be playing during this particular procedure, 'Dancing Queen' has to be the least appropriate.

'You want me to turn it up?' said Andy, from somewhere behind me. 'Ha ha,' I said. And then it was time, the moment I had been dreading for more than decade.

If you are squeamish, prepare yourself, because I am going to tell you, in explicit detail, exactly what it was like. I have no idea. Really. I slept through it. One moment, Abba was shrieking 'Dancing Queen! Feel the beat from the tambourine ... and the next moment, I was back in the other room, waking up in a very mellow mood.

Andy was looking down at me and asking me how I felt. I felt excellent. I felt even more excellent when Andy told me that it was all over, and that my colon had passed with flying colors. I have never been prouder of an internal organ.

ABOUT THE WRITER: Dave Barry is a Pulitzer Prize-winning humorist

Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

Gosh, where having the exact opposite weather here and its been hot and sunny forever now it seems...we havent had any rain for over a month now. Its really hard to work in this heat or get motivated to do much when your working all the time. I used to love those thunder storms and miss them actually.

~M~ and Betty..yes Ill be very happy when DH returns and have already been scouting out a new potential furry family member. Ill be very happy to have a new doggie again, as Ive always had one and miss that unconditional love you always get from them.

I just got off duty again this morning and already watered everything, went shopping at Walmart and also did the grocery shopping..so off to bed I go, until tonite when I have to return to work once again.

Hope everyone enjoys there day!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Ohhh tell us what kind of dog you have in mind..know you posted aboutit before but I can't seem to recall...old age you know! NOT..just a scatter brain..

Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

Betty...OMG...LOL...LOL
Guess I was just posting the same time as you and cant stop laughing. Ive seen lotsa new flavoured vodka in the stores recently...strawberry, watermelon, blueberry...so you could add some flavour and fun as well..I love Dave Barry's stuff and thanks for posting that, as I certainly needed a good hardy laugh!..still cant stop..now how am I gonna go to sleep??

Sorry and Im certainly not making light of your situation and only wish you the best. Hope you have a great day, and that the heavens will break open the sunshine for you to enjoy your weekend.

Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

Arent we all scattered most of the time..I know I am!... Im looking for a black lab again as they are my favorite doggies and have been checking out the lab rescue sites mostly. I dont mind if I get an older doggie this time, as I dont really have the time to commit to a puppy...the last one I had was from the SPCA in Guelph and was only 6 weeks old when I first got him. I had him house trained in 2 days, but was up every hour with him, taking him out and he caught on right away...very smart doggie...so it wasnt just me.

We were so connected, that I didnt even have to speak to him and we just always knew what each other were thinking and he was a brilliant doggie. He was trained in whistle commands, hand signals and you name it.... I had spent literally thousands of hrs with him, but he was a very smart doggie, so it was easy and fun for both of us...I know Ill never have a replacement for him, but really looking forward to having a new family member again. Sure hope you have good news with your tests and Ill be praying for you as well..Now I cant sleep and seems as though Ive gotten a second wind..which always happens to me...wish I had a doggie to run with, but may just go out for an hr or so now. I need to keep training as I want to enter some marathons in the fall.

Hope you enjoy your day..cheers

Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

Betty..hope the vodka comment wasn't in bad taste..if so I apologize...Im running on empty right now and have been for a long time..and off for a run as well.

Hope everyone enjoys there weekend

Victoria Harbour, ON

Absolute lNO offense taken....love black labs as well...hope you manage to get him...rest well..

'it's pouring, it's pouring, the old lady's snoring'...lol...remember singing that as a kid when it rained..

Edited the work 'of' should have been "NO"

This message was edited Jul 24, 2008 6:39 AM

http://oregonstate.edu/dept/nurspest/index.htm A site just in case you want to NAME a bug :-)

LoL .. Betty .. both to Dave Barry's "expose" on the JOYS of a colonoscopy .. NOT!! He does a wonderful job re a rather uncomfortable subject .. as well .. the 'it's raining, it's pouring, the old man is snoring, he went to bed and I've heard it said he won't be up until morning' .. I think everyone has heard different versions of it :-)
I was trying to teach my grandkids 'In and out the Dusty BlueBelles' this past weekend .. funny how stuff like that kinda creeps up on ya :-) .. not to mention how difficult it is to bend down and get between the clasped hands of a 7 and 10 year old !!!

We are at 27C now .. sunny .. low humidity .. nice .. but .. my fuel tank is about on empty .. I really should have gone to bed this morning .. but I find after a super busy (stressful) shift like last night (even though it was only 3.5 hours) my body was WIRED !!!
Gotta rejuvenate as DH is apparently going to put down the DEER SCRAM .. and I wanna watch :-)

Hope yer rain skeedaddles !!

~M~

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

Drizzzling here for most of the day. A welcome phenomenon after more than 3 weeks of hot, dry weather. Temps reached mid to high thirties over the past few weeks. I swear I can hear all the vegetation outside taking big gulps. And I don't have to water my garden tomorrow. :D

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Thanks for your comments re: application for my job - haven't heard yet, but I suspect I have the job. They have to do up all the paperwork, and get approval for the salary, etc (including the letter of offer.......)
Dunno if I'll hear tomorrow, or Friday, but Certainly before the w/e!!!
(gawd, I hope so - I'm livin' on pins & needles!!!)
I do believe I was born in Missouri - "Don't believe it until it happens" is my motto.
siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh

Mornin :-)

As I said before Susan .. fingers and toes crossed here for you :-)

A beautiful morning in Thunder Bay .. spoke with my brother a bit ago .. he lives on the shore of Lake Superior with the Sleeping Giant as the view out his front windows .. he said the sunrise this morning was/is spectacular.
I have yard work to do so nice weather would be an OK deal.

DH is having appt # 1 of his root canal saga .. I offered to go with and wait .. but .. he says he'll be fine .. I have had 2 and really there isn't much to'em except ya have to keep yer mouth open for so long!! My first one was years ago, and 4 to 5 appts .. the second was just 2 appts .. but just the moniker 'root canal' makes ones blood run cold !!

The Deer Scram .. well .. a bunch of fire fighter colleagues of DH popped by last night .. needless to say .. the Deer Scram never did get put down .. but .. since we only seem to have ONE rogue deer at the moment .. it's OK .. there's always today ( or tomorrow) LoL

Hope the rain has stopped falling in the east .. we could use some .. can't believe I said that after the flooding we had in June this year !!! When your water comes from a well .. you learn to SO appreciate the rain ..

Take care

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

OMG Sydney, scrolled up to continue my post and what jumped out at my was : Absolutely of offense....my apologies please, it was to read, absolutely NO offense...shaking my head, usually I re-read post to make sure content is ok...

Please accept my apology....

Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

Heh Betty
Gosh I was laughing so hard and of course things just pop into my head, and thought that perhaps vodka was a brilliant idea....of course Id been up for about 20hrs by then and had just got home from work, like I did just now. I dont seem to sleep much these days as I worry about DH, but he'll be home soon. Im also tryin really hard to keep up my training regime of running etc. I hate going alone and cant wait to have a new doggie for that again, as it motivates me, and makes it much more fun. Ive applied for a new job as well, and have to be extremely physically fit, or Ill never pass all of the training involved.

Ive never had to have those tests before thank goodness. I really hope everything turns out the best for you. Hope everyone enjoys there day today and realized I thought it was the weekend yesterday...overtired I guess.

Tallulah...Im keeping my fingers crossed for you, as I know how important it is to love what your doing.

One of my favourite 'faux pas' SPELLING .. actually I am a GREAT speller .. however, sometimes my fingers hit the WRONG keys on the keyboard :-(
Like you ,Betty, I always try to re read my posts .. but .. sometimes I think my eyes play tricks on me!! Am sorta thinking that we all realize that when we see something posted that is a bit 'off'.

DH root canal went well (appt #1) .. I was able to make ANOTHER fresh strawberry coffee cake as well as making 40 packets of raw food for Lilly (she's spoiled but worth the work). Cut the grass in her compound while DH 'rode the mower' for 3 hours (just what ya want to do after a root canal) !!
Have oft times thought back to when we bought this property 20yrs ago .. a young family .. lotsa energy .. NOW .. well .. I tend to think we MAY be slowin down a bit :-) (did I say that) ???

Best go and take care of supper ..

Ciao

~M~

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Last evening was the presentation of awards for the winners in the CHS garden competition. A nice evening at the Zoo except the heavens opened and it was pouring when we left. Presentation includes pictures of each winners garden and then awards plus pics and group lics! In the past lst place winners got a trophy they kept for a year but that has changed and this year we have engraved granite plaques with metal stand to put in the garden. Also all winners received an iron stake with a curled end on it and a copper circle engraved with class and placement and date. I actually have 4 of these stakes from another year and now I have 5 more. I said we should have a new class - best display of winners stakes!
Heres a pic of how I have set them up. This bed is in the back yard, facing east against the house.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here is one of the plaques

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

And the other

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Heres a closer look at the stakes. I really like them. The ones I won four years ago are in my tomatoe pots.

Thumbnail by fancyvan

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fancy .. you have done so well .. many congrats and hugs from me to you .. we all know how hard you worked .. nice to be recognized for that :-)

LOVE the plaques (very nice script) and the stakes are equally as nice ...

Again .. congrats

~M~

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Congrats, Fancy. How nice to have something you can display in the garden to recognize all your hard work.

Went up the valley to see Sandy (Sanannie's) garden. Door to door, she lives about an hour from me. I always enjoy visiting her lovely garden and end up drooling at the Hostas I can't have in mine because of lack of space.

Got back a bit after 4:40. I'm afraid I got into a bit of rush hour traffic on the expressway across Ottawa and I've had two friends come by who couldn't seen my Hostas when the tour was on last week. One of them stayed for a casual dinner.

Raining again here. Will probably get off the computer and do some more sewing since I was out all day (wen't to 8:00 am aquafit, followed by allergist for allergy shots and then to Sandy's house).

Ann

Victoria Harbour, ON

Congrats Fancy..coming back in the morning when I can keep my eyes open to read and post comments...

Went out with SIL's and niece for supper, they say laughing is great for the soul, must tell you my soul sure did get fed tonight...haven't laughed that hard in many a year...

But now I tired/tired so off to bed..rare I say that, but tonight is one of those nights...

Morning everyone :-)

Well .. my day has started with 'stilted NEAR disaster' !! I usually open the back door and let the cat (Smokey) out first thing (Lilly never gets up before 7:30 :-) ) this morning Smokey was acting a bit strange .. he was approaching the door .. then backing off a bit .. so .. I flipped on the floods to have a good look .. OMIGOSH!! There under the bird feeders .. not 20 feet from the backdoor, INSIDE, Lilly's enclosure was a HUGE RACOON !!! Now .. you Easterners (not sure bout the Westerners) .. may think that usual .. but it ISN'T here !! I had heard that a few had been spotted miles from here and that once they get established .. well .. to put it mildly' the WORLD becomes THEIR Oyster' !!
Rousted DH outta bed .. he was shocked .. I think most especially re the size of this guy/gal .. so .. am going to have to do some surfing to find out a few things .. I am relatively sure they wouldn't harm Smokey .. but .. Lilly being a Westie .. well .. they are bred to accost critters like Racoons :-(
Ought to be interesting around here for a bit ..

Believe it or else .. it's warm here already .. I do think it'll be a full on summer day here .. the previous 2 mornings it has been 8C !!

Off to surf and learn .. perhaps I'll just look for a Forum on this site ..

Take care .. and TGI F!!

~M~

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

Congratulations fancy! You must feel very proud of what you have accomplished in your gardens.

Good luck to everyone with their various medical tests, job hunting, etc. I'm having a hard time keeping up with everyone this week there's so much going on :-)

Well, we finally had our first day of no rain yesterday since we started our vacation. Blue skies, pleasant temperatures and just enough breeze to dry things out. Finally I can get out into the yard and get some work done. Looks like a gorgeous day out there.

--Ginny

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sunshine here Ginny in the city as well...

Don, did you get more rain, here we're hoping it ends - they are calling Ontario the rainy province..broke a few records I believe...

Victoria Harbour got about as much as the city but mostly it rained during the night so not as noticeable but no watering had to be done in the gardens..so that being said, looked at front deck/back deck and the container plants looked mighty sad..forgot about them...

"M" we have a lot of racoons here, don't do much damage, just looking for something to eat...hope yours has found it and gone elsewhere to look for more..

Quiet day here..some are on holidays and boss is having test done so I brough 24 wine glasses..if I finish them by 1:00 when I leave for home I'll only have 50 left to do and I am finished my commitment to this wedding..lol...

Thought I might drop into Gmt. offices today and apply for early CPP..at least get all the info on it..

Enjoy the day...

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

No, we had only a one day reprieve. Yesterday the clouds were gone, and it's been clear blue and HOT again. Today's high 33C. Back to my watering regime.

We have raccoons here as well. Don't see them much of them, seem to stay away from residential areas, unlike the deer, who have the run of the place. I have my rose and perennial gardens all "caged".

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Getting ready for a little party this evening. The night before Winning Gardens tours I invite my neighbors and friends who are not interested in doing the tours ( because you have to buy a 'passport') to come see the garden - just a couple of hours, wine and popcorn and strawberries! Dont expect many neighbors but there are a lot of new people on the block in the new duplexes and infills and it is hard to meet them so hope some will come.

And on the weekend I have friends and fellow gardeners coming to help with the visitors in the garden so I do snacks and drinks for them.

Weather report is good until possible thundershowers Sunday afternoon.
This is the garden on the south side of the house.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

Just got home from work again and was sitting out on the deck and low and behold I saw my first hummingbird...two actually.....yeaaa! I planted those scarlet runner beans for that reason and my brugs are also starting to get flowers, finally. Those small rewards for gardening make it all worth it.

Its already so hot here and Im sick of it! I wish it would rain as it makes it much better for sleeping. I dont have A/C as it never used to get this hot, but now it seems as though we are getting the same kind of summers as southern Ontario the last few years....except you guys are getting all the rain this year..gosh whats up with this crazy weather??

Well I gotta get going for another run again..ugh! This training is wearing me out, but have to do it. Hope everyone enjoys there weekend..cheers!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I'm helping fancyvan this Sunday aft. soley for the snacks and drinks ^_^ Seriously this is my FAVORITE weekend of the summer. The winning gardens are always fabulous. I'll take and post some pics. Me and Jo North (grow_jo) are on the tour tomorrow.

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

Sounds like you're getting Southern Interior type weather, Sydney480. Welcome to our world! Our high is 33C today...but we're used to it. Been as high as 37C this month. :)

Lovely pic of your south garden Carol .. I hope your weekend goes off without a hitch :-)

Our high today .. so far .. is cresting 30C .. and with that we had one of those 'spur of the moment' thunder boomers' .. it moved in quickly and was over quickly .. torrential rain for about 2 minutes .. then .. POOF .. sunny again .. the gardens need WAY more free water and there is a slight chance that may happen tonight .. one never knows .. but we can hope ..

Am trying to relax after having finally completed the floor washing episode .. good grief !!! .. trying to keep Lilly and Smokey OFF the wet floors is a challenge .. but ... it's all over now and no one ended up slayed :-)

Sydney480 .. I have moaned about NO air for about 3 years now and have NOT regretted having it installed .. our temps here in the north have creeped up slowly but surely over the past 3-4 years .. as has the humidity .. YUK!!!

Hope everyone enjoys their weekend .. I wish you all sunny skies and NO rain (cept for us) :-)

~M~

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Me too! So looking forward to this weekend of garden touring!! And it's supposed be gorgeous weather; 25 - 26 C, sunshine. What more could we ask for??

jo-north

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Hey, hey.... going for a gas-fill tomorrow (is the price up, or down??........... dunno, but my car is HONGRY!!), then gonna go see Jo-north's & Carol's gardens tomorrow (If I can find you both home and not visiting other gardens!!) :-)

One thing, ladies - I never DID get my cactus ball put together, now it's growing like a house-on-fire. Help!! If I bring the 2 pieces and all the joinings, could you help, please?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Susan do you have a passport? Otherwise you will not get into my garden. And Jo is on the bus tour tomorrow so you wont find any help from us.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Susan heres the link for a passport http://calhort.org/events/gardencompetition.aspx. Also the link for membership in the CHS http://calhort.org/membership/default.aspx. so you get the newsletters and can participate in our fabby CHS forum. I joined as soon as I moved here and it's the best resource I have for our weird but wonderful growing conditions IMHO.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.