July Daily Weather,Part II Have some lemonade!

(Zone 3b)

I just returned from a drive; looking for just right clover to make honey. Didn't find clover, but did find this bull moose.
60° raining lightly.
Love the hibiscus, MySharona. Power outages and you had to remain at work; bummer.
Deb~poor little flowers/yard. Sounds a bit like what Dyson came home to.
Sugarweed~any more than just a sputter, yet?

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

Found the clover and fireweed at home; just finished batch of honey.
Here are the ingredients, ready to cook.

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

Finished jars of honey.
Nice project on a cool rainy day.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Rann these shots are amazing!
I love seeing your vacation this way!!!!!
Beautiful little church!

Well WE got hammered last night.
Billy's straight line winds whipped through here at about 2 AM.
Not so bad here at home.... a few twigs and things... but at 6AM 50,000 people were w/o power.
Down to 40,000 by 7 AM. I think it's pretty much all repaired now.
Power went down at work at 2:30 and was restored about 6:30.

Our Work road runs East/West.
I didn't notice it coming in but all the street side tree limbs on the Pears are ripped off.
I'll try to get some shots tomorrow.

Here's our parking lot at Noon.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Oh yeah, looks like it was nasty, Ric.
Kiska: Moose!! Looks like a big one, too. And homemade honey. Yummmm. (My plants were fine once I doused 'em. :> )
Deb

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Deb, straight-line winds are similar to hurricane winds. Best way to describe them is they go sideways at such force that they aren't coming down at a diagional, they are just going straight.

If someone else can do better, please do it!! LOL

Similar weather as Mau today. Isolated showers and a big change in temps this afternoon. It was nice enough today that I worked outside in the yard for a couple hours.

(Zone 7a)

Well, it stopped raining for awhile and then started up again. There was some flooding here and not too far from us. People had to leave their homes because the water washed part of the embankment down into their apartments. Flooded basements with sewage and debris. Yuck! I watched a video of people STANDING next to the embankment that collapsed and kids playing IN THE SEWAGE WATER!!! What are people thinking !?!?!?!

Sorry, I'm over it now. Lots of lightning and thunder. Fun to watch and scary because it's been so dry.

Mmm...honey...

Pretty flowers, Deb and Sharon. How is Gary doing?

Ric, I'm keeping you all in my thoughts, too.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

It’s raining again? What have we done to deserve this?!
Deb – I’ve had to water some plants every day too due to the heat. But not yesterday – yay rain!
Kiska – That’s a big bull moose! You make your own honey? That is so cool! Looks tasty! I can just smell it. How about that recipe?
Ric – Your straight line winds sound like our lake winds. They make a mess out of everything.
Pepper – Sounds like you had a nice day yesterday.
Celia – That’s disgusting. Did they not realize it was sewer water? I mean the smell alone….gag. We had the same yesterday. Lots of thunder and lightening. I enjoyed listening to it. It’ was one of those storms where you don’t use an umbrella…too much lightening…and remove your shoes for the race to the car…too many puddles!

Gary stayed with his mom last night. Apparently no fever since we didn't get any phone calls. I'll let y'all know how he's doing this morning after he wakes up. He has to go to Jacksonville for chemo today.

NOID brug getting ready to bloom too. I think there are 9 buds this time.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Oops - here's the weather!

74.3 °F / 23.5 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 70 °F / 21 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.01 in / 1016.1 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 74 °F / 23 °C
Visibility: 7.0 miles / 11.3 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 15000 ft / 4572 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Partly cloudy with chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then mostly cloudy with showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. High 92. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Painted Lady Hibiscus. I couldn't resist! DH just rolled his eyes LOL!

This message was edited Jul 23, 2008 7:29 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Sunny in the morning...then mostly cloudy with scattered showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon.
Humidity 84%.
Highs around 90.
Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph.
Chance of rain 50 percent.

Hoping we get lucky with the 50%!

Beautiful hibiscus, Sharon.
Pepper: Thanks for explaining about the wind.

Off to work! Have a great day!
Deb

(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

It's cloudy, breezy and 55°F this morning. I think there's some more rain in the forecast.

Thanks everyone - glad you enjoyed the photos. We had a great time. It was quite an adventure for the girls - they didn't want to leave.

Sharon - Gary is in my thoughts. Those hibiscus are gorgeous!

Sally and Ric - wow! what a mess. Glad there wasn't any damage.

Dyson - sorry about your plants.

Kiska - Wow! Two volcanos! The honey looks good :-)

Here's a photo from the following day - it was still too windy for comfort ...... But there were some very cool windswept clouds in the sky.

Have a good day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

A mallard with her little ducklings :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

There was a huge difference between high and low tide. The little cove by the village was empty when we woke up!

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

There was a very pretty island just off shore, the cliffs were filled with fulmars which are very noisy ! lol

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

It was very warm where there was shelter from the wind ....... waiting for the ferry.

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

Where there wasn't shelter from the wind it was really cold! lol I packed mittens for the girls but left them in the suitcase ....... duh!

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 3b)

47° Showers.
Highs in the 50s. East wind 5 to 15 mph
rann~I love the openess of the landscape and the views it offers. What a beautiful country. The two erupting volcanos aren't affecting the populated areas. Flights have been affected to those areas.
MySharona~love your hibiscus; from the 70's to the 90's seems like quite a swing; hope Gary had a good night.
The recipe for the honey:
25 each of red and white clover blossoms
18 Fireweed blossoms
5 cups sugar
1/2 tsp Alum
1 1/4 water
Bring to a boil and boil slowly for 8 minutes, the sugar, alum and water.
Turn off heat, add blossoms and steep for 5-6 minutes.
Strain~~~pour into jars. Makes 2 pints.
Deb~hope the rain makes the 50% cut as well. Have a great day.
kwanjin~does make on wonder what some people are thinking, or not.
pepper23~hope you have a good weather day.
Wild Cotton blooming in the gravel/rocks.

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

Wild cotton blossom.

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

Wild cotton; open.

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 7a)

Sharon, I just love the Brugs but I have the kitties and won't grow them. (sigh) And you can never have too many flowers! Spouses will just have to understand...
Glad Gary is feeling well. I read the journal update today and it sounds like he's doing very good.

Have a great day at work, Deb!

Rann, that is a fabulous cloud pic! It looks like one you would buy from a dealer. Your girls are cute as ever. Weird how high/low some tides can get.

Kiska, cotton fields are a sight, aren't they? When we visited SC one year, Darrell, at first, wasn't sure what he was looking at. When I told him it was cotton, he had to pull over and get a closer look.

72°F with 93º for later. Blue skies and a beautiful day. More rain for the weekend but only a 20% chance.
Feels like: 72°F

Barometer: 29.9 in ↑
Dewpoint: 59°
Humidity: 64%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 3 mph S
Sunrise: 6:16 AM
Sunset: 8:51 PM
UV Index: 1 Low
(The UV Index says 1 here but farther down it says 11. I don't get it.)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Just a quick stop in to show you what we're getting now!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Yipee!!! Outer bands of Dolly/
;)

Kiska - I meant to tell you that the open cotton looks like an inspiration for a bowl!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

I think I have a job to go to on Monday. Yes that would be a good thing, And the sky is dark but hat is not "bad" also.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Sharon: Yikes! Hope it brings rain but not much else.
Kiska: I never heard of wild cotton. Neato.
Deb

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Aaargghh! I just typed out a post and sent it but something happened and it never went through. I'm just going to say "good photos everyone", glad those of you who got rain, got rain and hope those of you who need rain will get rain. Hope that job comes through for you, dyson!

Here is this evening's forecast:

Partly Cloudy Overnight
Low 70°F
Precip 20%
Wind: E 4 mph
Max. Humidity: 85%
Sunset: 8:17 PM CT
Avg. Low: 69°F
Record Low: 62°F (1988)
Currently it is 92º and sunny

(Zone 3b)

51° raining here on the valley floor; but snowing on the mts.
Quite surprised while in town and looked at the fresh snow on the surrounding mountains. Here's a peak at the one at the end of our road, taken from in town. Once the clouds lift; will get a better pic.
kwanjin~looks like a mixed bag for your area; from warm to hot to rain in the forecast.
Wild cotton grows to about 8-12 inches tall. Not sure about other cotton fields, but it would be quite a sight, I'm sure.
That's some storm heading your way, MySharona. Very impressive. I like the idea of the inspiration for a bowl. Today I have a piece of clear glass, that will turn to a ruby color when fired. Sure anxious to see it when it's ready.
Dyson~glad it's not a bad there; job on Monday, too; sounds ok from here.
Don't you just hate it when that happens, marsue:)
Beneath the clouds; fresh snow on Byers Peak. Summer? Late July? Looks more like September now.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Great pictures, Rann, and everyone else! Wild cotton is interesting looking.

Has anyone heard from Marylyn? Do you think that hurricane is effecting her or is she just busy with VBS?

Ric, I don't know about the rest of CA, but cardinals are not native to my area. They were introduced back in the days of yore but never caught on. There might be a few left at Whittier Narrows, but the last I heard - and that was years ago - they were dying out there, too. I don't know if they ever lived right here in Canoga Park. I would guess not. I doubt that anyone would try introducing them again. Introducing non-native animals is usually frowned upon nowdays. I can't imagine cardinals hurting anything, but you never know.

Plenty hot enough here. I'm sure the guys putting on the new roof next door would agree.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on July 23, 2008
87 °F / 31 °C
Clear
Humidity: 26%
Dew Point: 48 °F / 9 °C
Wind: 9 mph / 15 km/h / 4.1 m/s from the SE
Pressure: 29.87 in / 1011 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 10 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Warm @71°, gotta go move a car outta the DW's way. fed her a tomato "right off the vine" yesterday. Now she understands why I bother with a garden.

Got a new job, start on Monday, Life is good once again. All - take care of you & yours (it is after all what that matters). The job, the car, the house, they are nothing compared to the ones you love that cannot be replaced by a piece of hi tech hardware or software. They will make you feel good about yourself even when you have doubts about your own processes.

Rann –I’m enjoying your vacation as much as you did! LOL!
Kiska – At first glance I thought the wild cotton was patchy snow! Gorgeous pictures!
Celia – My cats don’t have anything to do with the brugs. They really don’t pay them any attention.
Deb – We got another 2” of rain today! I’m thrilled!
Kiska – Or maybe a platter LOL! Wow – what a picture with the mountaintop peeking through! Background! I made it home for lunch just in time. The bottom fell out of the clouds and pummeled us. It wasn’t as volatile as yesterday though. I bet that bowl is going to be gorgeous.
Kelli – I think Marylyn is busy with VBS this week. I don’t think Houston is going to get much from Dolly.
Dyson – Congratulations on the new job! Gotta love veggies fresh off the vines yummm. You are so right. Family and friends can't be replaced.

77.0 °F / 25 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 76%
Dew Point: 71 °F / 22 °C
Wind: 6.4 mph / 10 km/h
Wind Gust: 8.8 mph / 14 km/h
Pressure: 29.98 in / 1015.1 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 79 °F / 26 °C
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Few 3000 ft / 914 m
Mostly Cloudy 13000 ft / 3962 m
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft / 6096 m

Tonight
Mostly cloudy. A chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening...then a slight chance of showers after midnight. Patchy fog after midnight. Low 72. Southwest winds 5 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Dyson: You sound very happy about the new job. Congrats!
Kiska: The wild cotton is prettier than the cultivated kind. (love your mountain)

No rain today, just now came in from watering everything....again. Ever hopeful, there's a pretty good chance for tomorrow.

Have a great evening, y'all!
Deb

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Deb!

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Sharon, is your rosebud Seven Sisters?

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Yipee Dyson!!!
Got seven tenths today.
;)

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Got some rain overnight but not a whole lot. Weather was decent til tonight then the humidity started kicking up again. But even then it wasn't too bad.

High was in the low 80s today. Partly cloudy, breezy.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi, everyone! Thanks for asking about me, Kelli. ^_^ We're fine here. The hurricane went on shore well south of us. We have been getting occasional downpours and gusts of wind as the storm belts come our way, but nothing major. We are very grateful for the rain! VBS is going very well. We come home exhausted but happy every day. LOL

Congratulations on the new job, Dyson!!

I'd love to see the honey recipe, too, Jackie. I didn't know you could make your own honey without help from bees until you mentioned it.

I need to get the big bunny out of the tub and into bed... Talk to you all soon! :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 9:53pm CDT (40 min ago)
Temperature 79 °F 26 °C
Dew Point 73 °F 23 °C
Humidity 84%
Pressure 29.91 in 1012.7 mb
Wind Speed 8 MPH 7 kts
Wind Dir ENE 70°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 84 °F 29 °C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53pm CDT : 78.1°F / 25.6°C
3 hour precipitation ending 9:53pm CDT : 0.01"

National Weather Service Forecast

Seven Day Forecast Issued 9:00pm CDT -- Wed, Jul 23, 2008
Rest of tonight Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the mid 70s. East winds 10 to 15 mph.
Thursday Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 80s. East winds 5 to 10 mph.

Wow.. the highs tomorrow are only going to be in the 80s!!! Maybe it really is September, Janet!! LOL

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX
(Zone 3b)

The recipe for the honey:
25 each of red and white clover blossoms
18 Fireweed blossoms
5 cups sugar
1/2 tsp Alum
1 1/4 water
Bring to a boil and boil slowly for 8 minutes, the sugar, alum and water.
Turn off heat, add blossoms and steep for 5-6 minutes.
Strain~~~pour into jars. Makes 2 pints.
This recipe was developed by the farm extension in the 1950's, if I remember correctly, before people started having bees shipped up.
So glad the storms' not come your way, too much, MarylynT_X>
Snow is the talk of the news/weather tonight. I submitted a pic to the local station; sure seems like September, not July.
According to the news tonight, so far this summer, there have been only 7 days of above 65* and15 days of above 60*.
Sharon~the rosebud is gorgeous.
Dyson~you are so correct; nice to see it said.
Another of the bull moose from yesterday.

Thumbnail by kiska

Where is Joey? I d-mailed her last week, no response.

Kelli – No, it’s not a climbing rose, but the flower is similar. I still haven’t id’d it.
Pepper – I’ll take low 80’s! LOL!
Marylyn – Glad to hear you are getting some rain!
Kiska – Thanks! The rose is very photogenic. Snow already? Love the moose! I submitted my bad weather picture to the new station yesterday, but I don’t think they posted it on the news, it made on the website though.

72.3 °F / 22.4 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 81%
Dew Point: 66 °F / 19 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 4.4 mph / 7 km/h
Pressure: 30.01 in / 1016.1 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 72 °F / 22 °C
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 15000 ft / 4572 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Partly cloudy. Slight chance of showers in the morning...then chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 90. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

More Luna buds

Thumbnail by MySharona
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Woke up this morning under a blanket!

It's 59° !

Here's another of the Garden Tour Sets

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/sets/72157606337479024/

Ric

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Kind of a bad news/good news kind of morning for me.

Bad: Expected high today is 92F and humidity is a lovely 94%.
Good: It rained about a third of an inch overnight!

:)

Deb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.