SOLVED: Attn all ID forum participants: can we better our odds?

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Plants, you can add an edited line to your original post in the other forums saying it is solved and naming the plant. That way when folks read it, they get the answer in the first post and can then read on if interested. Just click on the word edit in the lower left corner under your name.

Leicester, NC(Zone 8a)

Somebody needs to draw me a picture, I'll be dogged if I can figure out how to remove a post. Your seeing something I'm not. Terry feel free to remove mine as you see needed.

Only Admin can remove a post. All you can do is edit your own posts.

If you select the FAQ link from the header at the top of any page, it will give you a lot of answers. You'll get it Flowers, we all had lots to learn when we first logged on. Grin (you will notice that this is edited....look in the lower lefthand corner of any post you make...it will be there.)

This message was edited Aug 29, 2009 11:25 AM

Leicester, NC(Zone 8a)

ok, will try again. If you don't hear from me again you'll know I clicked myself off the map. Thanks to all for good conversation and education received in DG

Leicester, NC(Zone 8a)

ok, found the plant and tree forum, even found the two green boxes. The only pull down changed the forums you want to view ( which I canged and may never get back to fav's). But never once did I see an option to close, notta, nowhere zilch. I'm am not a subscribing member so could that be the reason? I'll join up when I figure it all out. This must be one of those "Rocket Scientist Things" No wonder people are not closing, got to be an easier way.

Leicester, NC(Zone 8a)

ok, think I've got it! my name wasn't on any of the topic starter columns so guess I'm good to go. Yall better get busy and clean up your mess lol

Now you're cooking....grin

Leicester, NC(Zone 8a)

barking at the moon, what would I do without cha!

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I fixed several, but found a few in other forums. I'm assuming you'll have to move them. Do you want me to send you a list of these threads?
Barb

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

I have some but it won't let me close them.
How do I add pic of my Varigated Solomon's
seal to the plant files, I saw no others?

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

ridesredmule, which Variegated Solomon's Seal do you have? Here's the PlantFile listings for them. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher[common]=Variegated+Solomon%27s+Seal&searcher[family]=&searcher[genus]=&searcher[species]=&searcher[cultivar]=&searcher[hybridizer]=&searcher[grex]=&search_prefs[blank_cultivar]=&search_prefs[sort_by]=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

To add your photos, scroll to the bottom of the PlantFile entry and you'll see a link that says 'Upload an image of this plant' in the actions box.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

We must be thinking about the same thing! I just marked 'solved' on two of my posts for plant & tree ID earlier this morning. But they were only about a month old. Do you even know if the people that made posts in 2001 are still members?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

We can tell if they are still subscribers (hover your mouse over someone's name in the left column.) But I think the only way we can tell if they are still active members (in other words, if they still pop in occasionally and poke around) is if they post somewhere or add some info to the PlantFiles.

I haven't been a member a year yet. I did add the
picture of the plant I thought it would go to my "Have" plant file but it didn't; I added
it this morning. I'm not as savy on computors as you all are. I have tried to remove some
of the things I asked about and it would not let me. I know how particular some of these
forums are, so I try to do what's right, so I won't get fussed at.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule
Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I see them! The photos are in the pending queue. I removed the duplicate and the other will be released to the PlantFile entry once it makes it through the verification process. Usually in a day or two.

I think the reason you submitted two is that you didn't think the first one worked, as it didn't appear on the PlantFile entry immediately. They don't go directly to the entry. They go into a pending queue where they are reviewed for clarity, accuracy, that they aren't 'borrowed' from another site without permission etc.

Thanks for helping PlantFiles grow and sharing your photos.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Joan, I noticed that you really are pretty quick to delete those duplicates or of whole text I erased. Thanks!

Boerne, TX

sorry, wrong area to post, cant erase...

This message was edited Oct 14, 2009 4:59 PM

Thumbnail by HassJake
Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

I had about 9, and all but the one I just posted is marked "solved".

What a job Terry! Good luck, can I send you some chocolate and coffee?

Christie

Takoradi, Ghana

I'm innocent.

I hope I have mine all taken care of. If you see anything please let me know.
Thank you all for the help..

Clyde, NC

Very helpful. Thank you!

Miccosukee Cpo, FL

Terry,
On plant you are just sharing but doesn't need to be solved?
Does it need to be marked as solved???
In the case of my Grape Fern?
Hope

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

We have forums for trading plants - they are limited to subscribing members. If you'd liek more information, please let me know. You can also list your plant "haves" and "wants" in a free tradelist - you'll find that under the My Tools tab.

Miccosukee Cpo, FL

Terry,
Not interesting in selling or trading.
I just thought some people would be interesting in seeing a rare plant.
I enjoying looking at others plants, figure they might too.
Hope

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I realized after I replied that you meant sharing the photo, not sharing the plant - sorry for the mixup!

I moved your thread to a different forum - since this one is just for identification, I thought it might get a better audience elsewhere.

Santa Monica, CA

Hello,

I am new to this site, and very excited about participating. I want to make sure I don't do anything frowned upon. I have read the guidelines. Here's my question:

I have read that it's best to only submit one plant per posting for identification
I've also read that it's best to keep it to 2 or 3 posts/day
Here's my dillema: I am identifiying all the plants around my cabin in Pine Mountain Club, in the San Emigdio Mts. of Kern Co. (17 miles w. of the Grapevine). It's at 5,600'.
I have done a LOT of my own research on the Cal Flora site, and THINK I know the names of about 10 of them, but I wanted to run them by the experts here to make sure. Some of them I have narrowed down to 2 or 3 possibilities.
There are 4 or 5 that I have no idea what they are.
I have good photos that I took of all 15 plants, that I can post
Should I post 3 plants/day for 5 days, until I've posted all 15?
Thank you for having patience with a newbie!

Hi Crisbastap. Welcome to DG.. When you start your thread, maybe start with just 2 or 3 plants. You can always have more than one thread at a time, so you could maybe group your plants according to type...all trees, or shrubs...those that you need confirmation for, along with your thoughts to ID, those that you have narrowed down. That way each thread will be more manageable. You can add a second or third picture by replying to your own post within a thread. Give the zone( 5,6,et cetera) the plant is growing in, and add that it is in the mtns at 5,600 ft.

As each thread is completed,(all plants pictured have ID's) you have a prompt to mark that thread as solved. The 2/3 posts per day refers to the number of threads you start within a forum, I believe, as I have seen multiple replies from a single user...myself included.

Hope that helps.

Moon

Santa Monica, CA

Thanks Moon,

That does help, especially the tip about replying to my own post to add another picture, since I have a couple of photos for each plant. I will also take your advice about keeping it organized, and to mark each thread as solved when answered.

Thanks!

Chris

You are too welcome Chris. Before long you will have the hang of it and be zipping through the forums. looking forward to your posts. Moon

Nipomo, CA(Zone 9a)

ok

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

How do I mark them closed? Do I simply send a message stating Solved, or closed?

Look at your original post and you will see at both the top and bottom, a question. Is this thread solved? When you have your answer, you merely click on that question and it will mark the thread as SOLVED.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thank you themoonhowl, but my id posts are actually in Shady Gardens, which I realize now was not the place to put them, but it was a shady garden plant. Is there no mechanism for such a case. There is no "is this thread solved" option because, really, I put it in the wrong place.

Donna

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yep, it is only the identification forums that have the option for marking threads 'solved'; other forums don't have that option.

Resin

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thank you. It won't happen again, now that I know.

Randolph, NJ

Hi! I have a question that isn't how to mark a query solved; that I know how to do! But instead, how do I mark a query as New!? All of mine are showing up as old even though they were posted yesterday. I'm afraid they might easily be overlooked as a result.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

New doesn't have anything to do with the age of the post--it means that there's been a new post made to the thread since the last time you visited it. To you since you wrote the post, it won't show up as "new" until someone else makes a reply. But to anyone who comes to the forum and hasn't read your thread yet, it will show as new until they've looked at it, and each time a new reply is made it will show up as new again to anyone who hasn't seen the new reply yet.

Randolph, NJ

Thank you! That makes sense.

Crawford, CO(Zone 4a)

How do you mark it solved? I can't figure that out.

When you post a thread on this forum, both at the top and bottom of the post you will see a question..is this thread solved? When you have a solid id for your plant, click on yes and it will mark the thread solved.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.