SOLVED: Buttonbush or Stompie

Bath, United Kingdom

I photographed this South African bush, around 7 foot tall with masses of spherical white flowers, around 1cm across, on stems with sparse, small spiky leaves appressed to them in the Mediterranean biome dome at the Eden project UK. I couldn't find an ID label but am pretty sure it's a Berzelia sp. perhaps B lanuginosa, the Buttonbush. Brunia species are very similar but seem to have a denser arrangement of leaves on the stems, and the overall growth form looks more like Berzelia to me, but does anyone know the genus and even species for sure?

Thumbnail by nicku Thumbnail by nicku Thumbnail by nicku Thumbnail by nicku
Castro Valley, CA

I have never heard the term 'Stompie' before. So I looked it up. I see it is a Berzelia which I knew as Brunia. There is a big protea farm near LA here, Resendiz Brothers Protea Growers that grow Berzelia as fillers.

I think yours too is a Berzelia, though not sure what species.

The foliage looks like Berzelia albiflora.
https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/460688/

Berzelia intermedia also has similar foliage but the flower looks different to me but what stage influences that..
https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/568944-Berzelia-intermedia/browse_photos

And your pick of Berzelia lanuginosa is a 3rd. Though the stems that end with flowers do not look as long yours in your photo.

I admit I did not look at these very long. I have a headache.

So even if not 1 of these 3, the similarities lead me to believe yours too is a Berzelia.

You must have had such fun at Eden project UK!

Bath, United Kingdom

Many thanks. Yes I think it's a Berzelia sp. but it might take a South African botanist who knows the subtle differences between and variation within species to be sure.

The Eden project is really special. I last went quite soon after it was set and it felt 'recently planted" but the Rainforest and Mediterranean biomes have really matured and have a phenomenal mix of species, with many of them flowering when I visited.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.