SOLVED: Attn all ID forum participants: can we better our odds?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

That's really a question for Dave, since it involves programming issues. On the one hand, that would be practical - but there are some stumpers that remain active for over a year.

Coast range of, OR(Zone 8b)

Terry,

What are the ramifications of leaving them open, other that having what appears to be a large unsolved rate?

Not much - but it does create more difficulty for those who are culling through them and offering assistance on the unsolved ones.

Coast range of, OR(Zone 8b)

Hmmm... that makes me think of a thread someone started in the Dave's Garden forum.....

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I closed mine as well, but!!!!!!!!!!!

I noticed that there are three that show up under my info that are threads that I did not start and there is no option to "solve"?
For instance, this is showing up under "my info" but I didn't start the thread and cannot "solve" - This is not the only one?

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/400445/

What is up with that?

This message was edited Sep 26, 2008 10:10 AM

Can you show me where you're seeing it?

Here's a list of the threads you started in the ID forum: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/threads.php?user=haighr&limit=plantid&submit=submit

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

http://davesgarden.com/myposts.php?limit=plantid&submit=submit

Here's where I went Terri? Another blonde moment?

When you view your posts, you're viewing every post you've made, which include posts on threads you didn't start. (It's a list that's meant to help you browse and find a specific post of your own fairly easily.)

If you go to your member page, and go to the second green box of links, it shows you what others can see on your member page. It includes a link to the threads you started (but not all your posts.)

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

HI Terry,
I am trying to learn this also and I cannot find a 2nd green box of links. The only green box that I see is the 1st tab at the top of the page.
Maybe I'm having a blonde moment, but I'm not getting this either.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

On your my info page , there are four green boxes, In the first box named YOUR ACTIONS, There are a bunch of links including "view the posts you have made". This ones gives you everything you have posted. The second green box is simply named ACTIONS , among many others things it has a line "view the threads xxxxxx has started" . This gives you only the threads which you originated. The third box is XXXXX COntributions and the Fourth XXXXX WANTS YOU TO KNOW.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

bumped 2 and cleaned up the rest

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

I did finally find it and removed my 2 week old question, but there are no green boxes. (no boxes of any color on my computer) the only thing of any color is the first tab in the top row.

Anybody out there who, like me , coundn't find it:
go to your "my info" page
then "threads you have started"
then look above the list. There is a window with an arrow on the right end, click the arrow and scroll to the plant & tree ID.
Any that you have started will each (once you go to each individual one) have a question in bllue letters next to the question it asking if it is solved.......click appropriately and voila! We will all have helped Terry! ;-)

This message was edited Sep 26, 2008 11:19 PM

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks did not scroll down far enough! Will do!

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Hi Terry,
Just saw this thread this morning and went and cleaned up my threads.

arlene

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Cleaned mine up too. :o)

This message was edited Nov 10, 2008 6:54 PM

Olympia, WA

Did fall house cleaning on mine, and most that were still open DID predate the use of "solved" option. However, I am embarrassed to see how long it took ME to notice the sticky note!!!!! Arrrrrrghhhhhhhhhh!

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

I tried to clean mine up, and there is no tab to click on to close. I can click on unwatch this thread, but nothing to mark as closed?
LK

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Which threads are you having trouble with? I looked at the list of ones you've started in this forum and all of them are already marked closed except for the one that you just started today, and as of the time you made this post, nobody had responded to that one yet so I'm assuming that the thread you're trying to close may be in another forum? There are only certain forums like this one where you can mark threads closed, most of them you can't.

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Ok, I just did not know if they were closed or not. Thanks for the help.
Linda kay

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

There is an ID thread that needs to be closed; however, I did not initiate the thread - dstartz, who is no longer a member, did. The thread is here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/469827/

Would an Adminstrator please close it for me, please?

Thanks.

Sorry for the belated reply, but it's closed! Thank you!!!

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Gee, I feel silly, I've missed reading this post up until now.

Great idea, many thanks, going in to delete my solved threads.

:-) KM

Wesley Chapel, FL(Zone 9a)

Closed 13 of them.

Thanks for the reminder, Terry.

Steve

Upland, CA(Zone 9a)

Three thoughts : 1. What about a thumbnail format, 5 accross, 10 down clickable, with a bold rectangle around it if identified? 2. Seems like after 6 months, and no results, perhaps the i.d. request could return to sender with an request : a. New image, b. second try ? 3. Up front request that to better identify, include flower(s), leaves, fruit (if possible) at a minimum. This forum is a great feature of DG.

Hailey, ID

Oh help! We had some enthusiastic volunteers replant collards and broccoli and mix them in the flats. Today is market day and we need to know the difference. Anyone know how to separate them at 4-inch 4-true leave stage? The cotyledons were identical and all the true leaves are slightly scalloped, but perhaps there is a subtle difference I'm missing? Thanks a million! I could sell them cheap, declaring the approximate percentage of collards and broccoli, but unfortunately collards don't grow well here and it was just a small experimental batch that has now "contaminated" our much larger broccoli collection!

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Hi Lara,

I just now found this thread and may not be able to help if your market
day has already gone by, but could you tear and smell the leaves, perhaps
even taste them?

Karen

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

i got most of mine closed ~ great idea!

(Zone 7a)

Hi,
I am new to DG but isn't it reasonable to delete most of the solved ones (at least the older ones) since they are not catalogued by appearance and therefore are not really searchable?
Deb

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

Hi, I'm pretty new to this, and before I post pictures I want to make sure I'm in the right place. I have several plants that I need names for. Do I post their pictures here? Thankyou.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

You are in the right forum, but you should start a new thread for each plant plant you want to identify.

Go here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/plantid/all/ and scroll down to the bottom to start a new thread in this forum and post your photo and information.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

Ok Joan, thanks. I'll only do one, to make sure I'm doing it right. Thanks again, Birdie

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

I check all of mine and closed any that were solved. Thanks for the reminder.

South Bend, IN(Zone 6a)

I'm a little confused. I just happened upon this site a few days ago through a Google search about elm, and found a recent ID question posted May 2, 2009. It's marked SOLVED, but it's not, really.
I joined so i could post some information to help the discussion along. So I'm wondering. . . . How do people reach a conclusion that an ID question is solved? Where do you keep the images and final identifications so people like me get to "positive ID" when searching Google, Ask Jeeves, etc?
Great site, though. I love the sharing.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Marking solved is up to the original poster...when they are satisfied that a plant has been ID'd, they close the thread. Sometimes they close things too quickly and someone comes along with a better answer later--just because something's marked solved doesn't mean people have to stop posting on that thread, many times the discussion will continue after it's been solved, or someone will come along later and correct and ID that was actually solved incorrectly. Solved threads stay right here in this forum, they don't go anywhere. Sometimes once people have an ID they will post their picture in Plant Files, but many times there are already tons of pics of the plant in Plant Files. Plant Files itself is a great place to look for pictures--if you know what plant you have (or think you know) you can look it up in there and often there'll be a number of pictures that you can look at for comparison.

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

Well, I am the latest reader of the sticky so far. LOL
I cleaned up the 4 of mine.

Do we have a new count on open or solved threads? Do we have a new "solved rate"?

Miami Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

Hello Ian newbie here!

But how about making it possible to add up to 3 images per reply.
Less posting more accuracy.!

Just saying….

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Can I change my photo? Or can I delete my post and make another post with a better photo?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

No, you can't do either of those--I would recommend going to your thread and posting a reply to it, each time you reply you can upload a new picture. Some people may be able to guess what your plant is from your first not as good picture, and if they can't then they'll look at the new better one. It gets confusing when people start multiple threads about the same plant, so I would definitely recommend just adding the picture in a reply to your existing thread.

Leander, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the reminder. I fixed all mine..

KK

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

I hafta admit... I'm a "double poster". I'm sorry. I've posted ID questions in both the ID forum and the general "type" forums. I've been good about going back and marking the ones on the ID forum as "solved"... but there's nothing I can do about updating the titles of the posts in "regular" threads.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.