Tropical garden #11

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Just check out how big those leaves are!

Thumbnail by robcorreia
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

A bougainvillea hybrid?

Thumbnail by robcorreia
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

I am fascinated with this. I had never had the privilege to see this before!

Thumbnail by robcorreia
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

This is just now!

Thumbnail by robcorreia
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

You guys inspired me, hehe

Thumbnail by robcorreia
Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

NOID Red epi getting ready to open. Looks like something is munching on my epi.

This message was edited Jun 8, 2008 4:25 PM

Thumbnail by Sunshinesw
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Rob, you inspire us!

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Good Monday morning!
Very fragrant epi, smells like the Roses.
Rob, what plant is that with your hand?

This message was edited Jun 9, 2008 6:25 AM

Thumbnail by Sunshinesw
Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's my caricature plant; I'm pretty sure it is one of the same as Gail's cause I think we got em at the same nursery. I need to get with Gail and get her to give me a cutting of the others she has. Where are you at Ms. Gail? We need to do lunch since I'm off for the summer.

Thumbnail by phughes
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Patty! I miss you so much! Set a lunch this week and I will go. Just dmail me. Did you see the plumeria bloom above? It is my first from that giant big branch that blew down in your yard. I am now addicted to them.

I have one other that has a branch, but the others are just small sticks.
The place where we had our African violet picnic yesterday were sooooooo many kinds of plumerias. The husband grows them. His are in the ground and so big (about 30 of them).
He told me that when they were younger, he would dig each one out of the ground for winter and hang them upside down in his garage. That is a gardener for sure!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi girls! How are ya?
Patty, I think the rubber vine is budding now...finally.

Anyone know what this mystery shrub is?

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Hummm...it really looks like some jasmine of some sort...is it fragrant?
Sunshine, the huge plant is a Farfugium Japonicum "gigantea" !

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It's not fragrant...I think I may have found what it is..
Apocynaceae -willow amsonia

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

rj, Patty and I had lunch today! Were your ears burning? Her yard is soooo pretty and I am so jealous as she is protected somewhat from the brunt of the worst wind. She has the biggest Cherry Jubilee I have ever seen . In fact, all her plumerias, brugs and vines looked fantastic. Mine look yucky from the hot summer winds although they are blooming at least.

We are going to look for hibiscus next week. She has found a place that has great great looking cultivars in one gallon containers very reasonably priced. (Don't worry as she won't forget you)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL,
I still have to make my reservations at the GESSIEGAIL INN and come hang out with you guys. Glad you guys got finally got together.
I tell ya, the hibiscus you gave me last year, is certainly spectacular. I had wanted a pure yellow one, which you gave me, but then you sneaked in a stealth swril hibiscus, and when it bloomed this year I certainly was pleasantly susrprised to see it!

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Sunshine -

Your epi is beautiful, do you have it in a pot or in the ground? Did you get it locally?

RJ -

Your hibiscus is awesome! I am currently trying to decide whether to have a rose garden or a hibiscus patch and you are swaying me towards hibiscus (plus the fact that most roses need extra care in S. FL).

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Floridabunnie, I got the red one in Driftwood nursery in Estero. Thanks!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

oh yeah, and the varities of hibiscus are rather extensive now.
One thing I'm finding out by accident is that Hibiscus get mighty huge if they're in the ground. I keep trimming a tequila sunrise hibiscus I have in the front garden, and it seems like a month later it's passing the eve of the roof again,

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I am trying to get up the nerve to put some hibiscus in the ground but I have no idea if they can survive the winters out here in the wild country. Because I slope down to a creek, the cold is a good 10 degrees colder than everyone else who is closer to the water (meaning the bay or Gulf)

Oh, RJ.......A man in Belgium wants cuttings of this one I posted on plant identification forum. He says I can strip all the leaves off and use melted wax to seal my cut on the wood.

I need to remember to send him his pencils.........let me find it again. He said it is called Chocolate HIgh and several people told him he was right. Sorry, I can never find any pictures because I don't remember what I named the file (LOL)

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I found my picture on the hibiscus forum that I put.......so I have copied it from myself.....

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

That bloom is pretty too. Does anyone have one like the chinese lantern or an el capitolio? Do you have yours planted in full sun? They seem fairly easy to grow.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Mine are in full sun now but it won't be long before I only give them morning sun and no afternoon sun. They can't take it here.

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

That is my only drawback, I really only have full sun left - and I'm worried that it will be too much for them here as well.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

But Florida's weather is so different from ours. You have some decent evening temps and you don't have my 45-50 mph winds that dry out the foliage so much. You are blessed with some cool evening weather.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Beautiful Hibiscus...

??? Florida is a big state dear, and I can vouch from living in Orlando, that it is every bit has hot and humid day and night as it is here! wind is something esle though. it has been very windy here all year long..it's a pain. Still, most full sun items require a bunch of shade here in the hot south.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

You must be right as I checked accu weather. Their nights are only 3 degrees cooler. Maybe it is just California that has cool nights for flowers. I did not know that Florida didn't have nice evening temps. Thanks
gail

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Addenium

Thumbnail by Sunshinesw
Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Old yellow hybiscus

Thumbnail by Sunshinesw
Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Ginger

Thumbnail by Sunshinesw
Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Helicornia

Thumbnail by Sunshinesw
Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Peacock ginger

Thumbnail by Sunshinesw
Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Sweet potatoes

Thumbnail by Sunshinesw
Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

This looks like red hybiscus seedling, is it?

Thumbnail by Sunshinesw
Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

RJ & Gessie -

Yes, it is very warm here even in the evenings. It is almost 11:00 pm and it's still 83 degrees. I live in S. FL and on the west coast, so it's windy here as well.

Sunshine -

very pretty hibiscus. I like your gingers too. mine are growing tall, but no blooms yet. are yours for sun or shade?

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I used to pine away thinking about getting to live in Florida..........well, so much for that pining.......can put that thought to rest. lol

My vandas are starting to bloom even with the wind.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

One pic too dark and the other too light. Check out the background of nothing but dead yard and cactus! We need rain.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Gessie -

Very pretty orchid! We're finally getting much needed rain, maybe you will get some soon as well. It seems it's feast or famine. We have family in Indiana wishing they could send it elsewhere.

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

FB, hybiscus is in full sun.

Red Oak, TX

sunshinesw, your red hibiscus is Hibiscus acetosella. I could never get them to bloom but I enjoy their foliage.
my hibiscus and gingers are starting to bloom, I only wish that I could remember their names.
good news , we got 1/4 in. of rain on monday.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

hibiscus

Thumbnail by prita

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.