Tropical garden #11

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Candela -

I would love to trade, I will see if I can find any of mine that have rooted off the parent plant that I can cut and send. I'll send you a D-Mail.

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Dutchlady, Thanks!
Here is another eye candy.

Thumbnail by Sunshinesw
Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Good morning!!

Thumbnail by Sunshinesw
Red Oak, TX

sunshinesw, I enjoyed the Sunday and Monday's pictures. I especially liked the morning glory bush .
candela, I like party's that include rum and bromeliads. How good is that? He will be happy to know that they will be cared for.
window box with brom. Neoregelia fireball

Thumbnail by prita
Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

I love seeing everyone's pics.

Sunshine, your morning glory bush is really nice. I didn't know there was a bush, I had only seen the vine - very neat!

Candela - you have a way with broms, they look great!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I have a lavender bud about to unfurl on the morning glory tree Randy brought. Hope it is open by tomorrow so I can take a picture.

Christi

Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

There are blues and then there is royal blue or prussian blue. This pea vine just goes on and on with its flowers.

Thumbnail by fredrump
Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

I have these 10" balls (oops) hanging on a screw pine palm. Normally I get just one but this year they are eight of them. Looks like this tree has finally matured or growth conditions have improved somehow.

Thumbnail by fredrump
Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

tiny flowers

Thumbnail by fredrump
Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Nice flowers everyone.
Floridabunny, you can have a cutting when we get together. It really roots easy.

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Fred, I have never seen that! What are those? Seeds?

Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

The fruit balls are extremely large compared to others I've seen. See also:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/484/

Mine grow only one per branch and yes, they are the seeds.

Fred

Thumbnail by fredrump
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

placencirita, that plant you called Jamaican Croton is what I call graptophylum pictum or cariacture plant. I have that same plant plus two more colors of it.

Here is my very first bloom on a plumeria that someone sent to me. Lucky for me she sent me a lot of them and can't wait to see what colors they bloom.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Sunshine, that would be great! I'm looking forward to it.

Fred, nice pea vine - is that a double? I have a blue pea vine; mine is a single and I love it. I believe there is pink, white and lavender? but I've note seen them, only pics.

Thumbnail by floridabunnie
Red Oak, TX

lovely pictures, I have one 2" double pea vine from seeds a DG sent to me. Only one sprouted, love the color.
I have never see the screw pine palm tree before, it is magnificent.

gessiegail, it is the first time that I have successfully overwintered the cariacture plant or Jamaican croton. I would love to see the other two colors.
Congratulations on your first plumeria bloom.

Thumbnail by prita

Wishbone flower

Thumbnail by LiliMerci

Night Blooming Cereus or sometime call Queen of the Night. Almost-dinner-plate-size blooms. Heady, incredible fragrance. Each flower only opens one night and close up the next morning.

This message was edited Jun 4, 2008 12:01 PM

Thumbnail by LiliMerci
Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Lilimerci, Mine is bigger than yours but no blooms. What's your secret?

Sunshine, how old is yours? I think from cuttings, it took mine 3 years before they bloomed and you are in perfect weather for it. I know it likes to be pot bound, once established. It is at a location that has full afternoon sun and I feed it bloom booster about once every 3 weeks. I did read that the healthy beautiful green leaves plant does not tends to bloom and they like to be abuse. I don't fuss over it much, water once a week when it's really hot.

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Lilimerci, it's about 2.5 years ols but hugeeee! It is root bound, maybe need some bloom booster. Thanks!
Jan

Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

hey Bunnie,

I never even realized my pea vine was a double. I thought that was the way they came. I also thought that they only came in blue.

Fred

Red Oak, TX

LiliMerci, welcome and thanks for showing us your blooms, there are five big ones on your Queen of the night, very pretty.
I am excited about my one bloom on my Princess flower.

Thumbnail by prita
Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Dendrobium in full bloom.

Thumbnail by Sunshinesw
Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Lili - your wishbone flower is awesome! I love the color.

Fred, if I run across some seeds in other colors I'll let you know - they are so easy to grow. BTW, I saw pics of your yard in the other forum, beautiful!!

I also have a night blooming cereus and mine in planted in the ground - I've only had it about a year though. It's finally starting to take off and grow several new petals.

Unfortunately, I can't put mine in the ground. I accidentally left mine out one night in the fall and it fell below 40 and the frost burned some of the leaves. It is looking very sad, but I have a bunch of new leaves this year, so hopefully I will have some blooms.

Last year, I got 3 rounds of blooms. At one time, I had 12 buds, but some of them fell off. I don't know the reason for it but I'm thinking that there were so many of them that they were all fighting for resources to get bigger and so the smaller ones did not survive.

Here is a picture of the bud. The first time I saw them, I couldn't believe them. It takes about 3 weeks for the bud to get this size.

Thumbnail by LiliMerci

NID Plumeria.

Princess flower is very pretty. Is it a tree or a bush?

This message was edited Jun 4, 2008 9:14 PM

Thumbnail by LiliMerci
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Fred - stunning tree you got there! How tall is it?

Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

The screw pine? Oh, I guess it's between 20 and 25 feet tall. Normally they spread out more but mine is among other trees and competing for the sun. All the side branches are only about three years old. Before I came here (2004) it was just a scraggly looking stick like many other neglected trees and bushes. The winters without water are a real fight for everything that's not native to this area. Things survive but barely. My irrigation system and the little bit of lawn fertilizer make all the difference in the world.

Thumbnail by fredrump
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

VERY beautiful! You know, I've been doing some research for a tree I want to add to my garden, and your screw pine really caught my eye!

Red Oak, TX

LiliMerci, the princess flower is a bush, but I am a little disapointed with it , the bloom lasted for only one day.
sunshinesw, is that a tillandsia( giant airplant) behind your lovely dendrobium.?

Here is my Vitex tree in full bloom, If I could get the crepe myrtles in the back to bloom at the same time I would have a pretty picture.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

pride of barbados

Thumbnail by prita
Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

placentciarita, your Vitex tree is very pretty. yes it is tillandsia.

Thumbnail by Sunshinesw
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Oh...how pretty everyone!
The Pride of Barbados is still dormant here in So Cal...

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

my flamboyan/royal poinciana is starting to flower. it sure is a messy tree but i still love it.

Thumbnail by candela
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

and the clerodendrum pagoda

Thumbnail by candela
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Cassie...I want to move to Florida! : )

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Candela, Oh I love Poinciana tree and your clerodendrum pagoda.
Beautiful photos everyone.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Placenciarita,
I just realized you have the same exact Hemerocallis as me, and so far I could not id it properly. Do you know the species/variety by any chance?

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

ginger

Thumbnail by candela
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

heliconia

Thumbnail by candela

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.