Chit Chat... Everyone welcome. Part 20

Zolfo Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Not!!! I am off to bed. Guess I will have to do a little research. Nite Lucy Seet dreams

South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

Nite. : )

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

The little Mantis or Honda one-person tillers do just about everything needed for home gardens. I love mine, weighs about 20 lbs, easy to use, wouldn't be without it!

I borrowed a brand new chipper from a friend once (he had already gotten it clogged with a log the first time he used it). It was a Sear's model, about $400. I hated the thing. It's shoot was so narrow that you couldn't get much of anything down it unless it was as thin and straight as bamboo. He offered it to me for $100 when he was selling his house and moving to Kentucky. Though it would have been a good bargain, I uncharacteristically said, "No, thanks." because I didn't think I would ever get $100 worth of use from it.

I read the above post with the "BF" abbreviation as "boyfriend." I want to see him lay eggs on the pipevine. LOL

Jeremy

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Lee, you can have all 100 pots if you want. Are you coming to Lakeland in the near future? Paul

LOL, Jeremy. Linda and I keep our BF's in the garden, and feed them pipevines. Our BF's and our DH's get along just fine. Best of both worlds. lol : )

This message was edited Apr 28, 2008 9:54 AM

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi all

Well, feeling better today, just a bit queasy. I was really bad the other night had a reaction to something I guess. DH wanted to take me to ER I was having a job breathing, I refused and said just get me some antihistamines, so I gobbled a couple of those and after awhile that helped. Was up most of the night ill as well and slept all yesterday. Just one of those things I guess.

Thanks toy that is it Lakeview Jasmine.

Thumbnail by fleurone

Fleur, I'm glad you are feeling alittle better. That can be scary when you can't breathe. My dad had asthma, and he use to scare me to death, when it would get bad.

Hope today will get better for you. : )
~Lucy

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks Lucy , it was scary I have never had a problem like it before .

I had a new brug bloom too whilst I was sleeping. :). H says it started off white and lemon yesterday , today it is pinky

Thumbnail by fleurone

I have a brug similar to that one. I have no idea what it is called. : )

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

It might be Pink Frosty or Frosty Pink. They occasionally will bloom out white at night and turn their normal colors while you sleep. I thought I had lost my mind the first time that happened. Good thing I took a picture to document it. I might have thought I was loopy.

Molly
:^)))

Fort White, FL

Wondering if I should cut the old leaves off our banana trees or let them alone to grow back...Also...should I cut off the new shoots from our wisteria bushes or would that be cutting off next years blooms? I like wisteria...but they are beginning to take over. Our oakleaf hydranea is beautiful!
Joyce

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

White Egg Plant White Cloud

Thumbnail by phicks

JDee- you can cut the leaves off a banana plant (dead leaves or brown ones) at any time without hurting the plant -- just make sure you don't damage the growing tip which is in the center of the top leaves. Bananas are somewhat related to grasses, so they will always grow new leaves.

You can also prune a wisteria now or about any time except late fall (then you might cut the flower buds off). Pruning the wisteria (even severely) will probably just make it bloom better next year. I need to whack away at my white-flowering Japanese wisteria. It is growing huge, but won't flower, maybe not enough sun where I have it.

Jeremy

Back before Molly's roundup, we were talking about Kangaroo Paws (Anigozanthos flavidus http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2032/). I mentioned that we had them in the Australia exhibit at the Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens and I would see if I could get some. The woman that tends the Australia Garden recently gave me a stalk with 3 little plants. I know Fran wanted one, but I can't recall whom else. I'm debating about keeping one -- I will probably be able to get more sometime soon, so I could send out these 3, get more later, and keep one for myself.

My camera doesn't interface with this new computer, so I can't provide a photo of the stalk. I thought we had a discussion about them being difficult to propagate? They seem to make new plants along the flower stalk, very similar looking to a walking iris. I'm sure I can just cut the stalk in 3 pieces to have 3 plants (with about 3 inches of the flower stalk remaining on each plant).

Anyway, send me a D-mail if you are interested in getting a Kangaroo Paw and I'll see how long the supply holds out.

Jeremy

South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

phicks, nice eggplant!

Lucy, Lizette & Elaine, seeds went out today. Hope you have better luck than I did!

Cathy

Hello all! I am so tired I worked so hard in my yard today.

Paul would next week work for the pots? Maybe I could get Lucy to ride up with me.

Nice brug Fleur.

Lucy something got the red birds last nite.

I need to hear from Elaine and see if my sisters got to her house ok.

Ok, thanks, Cathy, for the seeds. We will try our best to get them going. : )

Yes Linda, I will ride with you. And you are right, next week will be better. That's terrible about the redbirds. Sometimes snakes get them, and sometimes other birds get them. Or it could have been your cats. Anyway, it is always sad.

Sometimes, I have these kites(kytes)sp (birds that soar around looking for babies) that get mine. If i see them around, I usually stay outside, and try to scare them away. Then. you have owls and hawks to deal with also.

I hope you hear from your sisters, or Elaine, soon.

My brugs are in full bloom!!and smell soooooo good.

Thumbnail by LeePerk

That is very pretty, Linda. I had to water mine today, it was sooo dry here on this hill.

DH said he thought it was probably a snake.

One more!!!

Thumbnail by LeePerk

Oh that white one is pretty, too. When it gets bigger, I might wanna get a piece. Not right now tho. I've got alot of other stuff to get planted.

Did you get your area all cleaned up, back behind the fence?

Lucy you know you can have a piece of it anytime. I think Elaine gave it to me.

We got so much done today. DH got all the area behind the fence cleaned plus way more than i ask him to. We moved my night blooming jasmine. I moved my pineapple plants I put out some more brugs planted some potato vines plus got the rest of my area by my front porch mulched. I am so happy!!!Tomorrow we have to cut grass.

Wow, you did get alot done. I had another bad day today, and it didn't ease up until 6:00 this afternoon. But, I did get all my watering done. I feel pretty good right now. I'm gonna try and get up early tomorrow, and make up for today. : )

Hope you feel better. My back is telling me what all i did today.

Yea, knowing you, you probably overdid it. : ) But, it's hard not to. when you wanna get things done, and you have some good help.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Hi, mom and sisters are here safe and sound.. They got here around 4. We spent an hour walking around so they could admire all my flowers.
Lucy, I have rooted cuttings of white brugs. One is Super Nova, one is Little Moon, I am sending one to you by mom.
Also will get Magie's in the mail tomorrow. I think I gave Linda one called Ollie. Mine hasn't perked up yet this year, but I am sure it will... I think I also gave her cutting of Amber Rose.
Linda, you could do some serious digging with Lucy's tiller. I have a small one.

Glad to hear the ladies made it up safe and sound. Linda and I will hold the fort down here, you girls have fun. Oh, and thanks for the brug,....now where am I gonna put it? I'll find a place. : )

Thanks Elaine for letting me know they arrived safe and sound. I know you guys will have fun. I know it will be hard without me but try.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Molly, I got the Turk's Cap and I promise I will give it a very good home.
Phicks nice eggplant.
Lucy sorry you were in pain again.
Magi, that brug sure is pretty and I can smell it all the way to Lizella. Especially at night.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Be sure to give your brugs some Epsom salt. It will make them so pretty and green almost immediately.

Will do, Elaine. : )

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Magi, sorry you were sick. Scary not being able to breathe. Eating local honey is suppose to help with allergies.
Yes, Linda we will TRY to have fun without you even though it will be hard.... especially shopping at Kohl's and Ross's Dress for Less.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Hey, It's Shellabella's birthday..
Happy Birthday Shell,,, I know you had a great day.
Nitey nite,
Streak

Nite, Elaine. Sweet Dreams. : )

Lucy I just finished ironing so now i need to go to bed and rest my back. Hope you have a good nite.

Ok, see ya tomorrow, or whenever. : ) Sweet Dreams.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Morning all. :). Well we had a little rain yesterday, better than nothing..

Thank you Molly that looks like it Pink Frosty. I thought H was kidding me too !.

Nice egg plant Paul. Are they easy to grow?

Why can't you get your camera working with the computer Jeremy ?

Brugs look great Linda. I give mine epsom salts as well , have to be careful on the front garden though as I have heard salvias don't like ES.

Thanks Elaine :).
You know I take honey every morning but duh...it makes more sense to have a local one.

Linda Ironing! Ironing!,lol, I didn't think anyone did that any more . Mine retired years ago, especially after I put it away ( after one of the rare occasions it actually was used ) and left the water in it. The next time I looked at it many moons later it had this lovely verdigri moonscape and patina on the bottom. I did think for awhile it might make garden art or a door stop , but the garbage can won.

West Central, FL(Zone 9b)

Just a quick note to thank all of you for the nice Birthday wishes both on the forums and in private yesterday.
Fleur..... Where did you find that picture of the birthday cake? When I expaned it I screamed with laughter.That's some candle that guy has!...lol!

I am happily catching up on the garden chores this week. Seems this may be the last of the coolish weather we will get. I better take advantage of it now.
Work wise we are taking a bit of time off. It's the end of the month and we are satisified with our results so far and do not want to risk loosing ground to the market these last couple of days of April. We get paid based on the month, so better to quit while ahead...lol!

You all are way ahead of me garden wise this year...those brugs are beautiful and so are all the other pics . Paul, what are ya goin to do with those "eggs"? . What an interesting plant. I wonder if those "eggs" would fool a chicken.

Yesterday DH and I replaced 3 loose screens on the pool cage. Took us most of the day...lol! Now I can plant that bed outside the pool cage today. See ya later and have a great day!
Michelle:)

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I hear you on the pool screens. I had two pieces ( actually many more) that needed quick attention because of the dogs. I swear I thought I would never get the old spline out. I do not have the patience for that.....I plead guilty to going nuts. It did end up taking almost an hour and a half per pretty little section.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.