Flowering today part II

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Pretty is an understatement. What you can do with limited resources is amazing.
I love, love, love crotons. Why in the world don't I have one now? Killed the last ones I had. You have inspired me to try again.

I don't kill on purpose. More out of ignorance. Still learning a lot from those who KNOW.

Christi

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Some of you may remember the panic I was in last year when this guy lost all his leaves...something I have never seen a croton do. Well, he's back! In gorgeous form these days, about 10 or so ft tall. Can you tell I like crotons? So much color and variety! Easy to like.

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hi Christi! Glad you like crotons...they are definately one of my favorites! Out here the only thing we have to make sure of is that they get plenty of water. Here is a closeup of the big guy:

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

This one is a little on the strange side. Very narrow blade like leaves, but a riot of color:

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Curious. Water here is so precious and costs an arm and a leg and soon to include your head, I think.

You are in the middle of all the water in the world. Do they charge you so much you are afraid to use it. Every day I water, water, water. All the while thinking, Oh My God! When the bill comes will I be able to afford groceries. Just curious.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

What is that on the right side of the photo?

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

And my final croton...my pride and joy: This golden beauty has graced the front of our house since we moved in here. about 5 ft. tall, and nearly as wide:

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Wonderful! Will be checking out the crotons tomorrow for sure.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

We don't have to pay for our water. Thank goodness! But the water outside is non-potable and very heavily chlorinated. I have two filters on my hose, because the plants were really suffering from the chlorine. The plant just to the right of the narrow leafed croton is an asparagus fern. This is a curly panax called "ruffles" right next to my real big croton. Ruffles just moves along, wherever the other plants let him, the soft curly foliage reminds me of parsley..but much bigger!

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

You might be interested in this forum. or not

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/845374/#post_4926442

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

This is funny. My waffle plant is on a shelf sitting inside the fence and is looking very sad - only this one branch, which has moved outside the fence is doing well, and I get lots of comments about it, dark green and purple curly leafs that really catch the eye on this white fence!

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

OOOHHH. Thanks Christi! I do check out that forum occasionally, but hadn't seen that thread. I seem to spend most of my DG time right here with my "family". Know what I mean?

I was telling Jenny that my Christmas Palm finally got a cobra spike last week. Here is a pic of the spike, berries to follow.

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

A few days after the spike appeared:

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

And now a week later, the sheath has fallen off and the berries are starting to spread out. They will get quite striking, so I will post pics occasionally as they grow.

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Had I not visited Jenny, this would not make sense to me. I know what it means.

LouC

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Don't you just love it when our horizons are expanded???

Hugs!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Crotons are cool. I just started aquiring a few recently. They're still small...but fun!

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Randy! What is that beautiful leaf you so adeptly let fall into the picture?

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Christi - I think you mean the one at the top of his pic? That is an Alocasia - African Mask...although we call ours "The Alien". Very cool plant.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Okay, yesterday I regaled you with my foliage plants, but I too have some blooms...This long armed hibiscus schitzopetalus had over twelve blooms yesterday!

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Mike would go nuts at twelve blooms. About the only thing he really keeps up with is the red hibiscus....think it is the red color.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Shari...I can't see them...I need a closer up photo!

You like those pretty leaves Christi!? psychodelic huh.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Okay, per your request, a close-up of the bloom:

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

and one more:

Thumbnail by Islandshari
mulege, Mexico

EdwardRHamilton.com has a book on tropical and subtropical plants for about $20 off the origanal price of about $70.

katiebear

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

This was taken on Saturday. Try to guess where I took it. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi Pep. I'd say a conservatory of some sort. Could it be where you are working?

Shari, one of my brugs that I started from seed last year is curling on the top just like yours. anyone have a clue?

Randy, I will take that one please.

Nope, not where I work. lol. Ours is nowhere near that big. It's the Climatron at Missouri Botanical Garden.

Here's the Climatron on the outside. :~)

Thumbnail by pepper23
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

The building itself is amazing.

It is. And when you walk in it's like a dream. I only have a couple pics in there though. Some of them didn't come thru on the computer. I will post more tomorrow. My computer is getting slow for some reason and it's bugging me. Gotta get experts over here to work on it for me. lol.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh man. Talk about a greenhouse.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Orange trumpet vine (Pyrostegia venusta) outside my horticulture classroom.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Blooming today??....lets see>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Gorgeous. I have trumpet vine but it doesn't bloom solid as that one. aaahhhh.

And Dale, I also have all of those blooms but they are not so thick nor are they planted near each other.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks Shari, so cool looking.

That's a great place Pepper, Climatron!

I love the trumpet vine.

Vitex aka Southern Lilac blooming today

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

oooh ahhh where did you get that rj. i have never seen that i wonder if it would grow in miami?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh for sure-
I had never seen one before a couple years ago, and I was sitting at my favorite local restaurant here in the neighborhood, and it was a tree, covered with those spectacular looking lilac blooms.
There are quite a few types out there, but they go way up there for zone..I think 11.
Look for the newer hybrids Vitex agnus-castus, there are several version of that as well, the latest are stronger, and more brilliant compact bright blue blooms.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Is the same thing as "obedient plant"?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I think an obediant plant is a texas wild flower that is foxglove like looking

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

There is a tree in our neighborhood that has been there for over 40 years.
Scraggly looking at this time and it is supposed to be "obedient plant". It really hasn't had much care. May go take a cutting and see what I can do.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.