Flowering today part II

Coffs Harbour, Australia

we came form here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/826485/

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Just realized I posted all that on the tropical zone thread. Didn't show one tropical. Oh well, they aren't growing yet. After covering the yard with everything we own, it only got to 43. Were we not prepared, it would have been 33. Birds everywhere. Another wonderful day.

LouC

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow weed_woman, those are beautiful! Love the color!!!!

Fortunately our weather has been lovely, although a little cool today, with a nice breeze. It was supposed to be 42 this morning.

Our plumies are getting their leaves. The banana trees are leafing out. Spring is finally here!

The brugs are getting more blooms, and the little hibiscus, and big red amaryllis are still in bloom.

Two daylilies have scaped! Need to repot the hibiscus again! All is well!

Have a great day Y'all!

This message was edited Apr 14, 2008 7:03 PM

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes, but looks like it's going to be a perfect weekend for me to visit..everything will be poping!

So lovely to watch all the Spring excitment ...yes Sue my blood red frangipani has buds on finally, but I think it won't be able to flower before it gets too cold ...golly I waited a whole year to see it do that ...oh well you can't win them all can you? I haven't much to show because of the rain but my cheeky plants are waving over the outside of my secret jungle and they at least look colourful ...I was out there to snap the noisy minors while they were on the flowers but the cat came up behind me and they flew away.
happy gardening
chrissy

Thumbnail by
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

WOW Chrissy! Beautiful! Love the colors and the size of that bush! Lovely!

If you are not really tropical you can fool the eye can't you? ...planting flamboyant colours in both bloom and leaf equals a tropical look and feel, it tricks the eye and brain ...lol ... well hopefully anyway ...you also need a good imagination as specially at 60F.
Your pretty flowers are keeping me warm!
chrissy

Coffs Harbour, Australia

This is a Brom I have been waiting for the flower on, for over 2 years now, and here it is. Not very exciting is it? But at least now I'll be able to identify it (I hope) We all appreciated your pics LouC! Who cares whats tropical or not. We all love gardens!
Thanks Texasgal, its a Tibouchina 'Alstonville' and they do very well in these parts. Theres a town not too far away that has the streets lined with them. You can imagine how awesome it must look!
Hello RJ.
Hi Chrissy. Your Bougs seem to go on forever! If its not Bougs, it Brugs!

This message was edited Apr 16, 2008 8:16 PM
I think this is A. orlandiana 'Rainbow'

This message was edited May 13, 2008 6:03 PM

Thumbnail by weed_woman

I'm posting my many plumeria pictures on the plumeria forum, but will add one or two here.....

Here is a beautiful variety called 'Lava Flow'

Thumbnail by
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Thanks Dutchlady! Its a beautiful thing is it not? I'll have to pop on over to Plumerias for a look!
Sue

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Loving all the pictures here, tropical or not!
Your colection of plumies is outstanding Hetty, and Lava Flow is gorgeous!
Jenny

Hey Jeanne, look what I got! No where as pretty as yours and I didn't see any huge bites out of yours either, but I am happy! I got this on the clearance rack last year and it looked pretty sad.. the other two I bought have been eaten down to stubs by those ****african snails, I think - GRRR!

Thumbnail by Braveheartsmom
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

so pretty, Jenny. If the snails don't get it, you'll have ten in it's place next year. different variety but these have been for 4 years. Started with about 5. In your climate, "Watch out".

Aloha,

Chris

Thumbnail by LouC

Christi, those are beautiful! Makes my one and only look sad! I see yours are in the sun, do they take sun all day? I have mine in the shade under the plumeria, should I move it? Should I feed the poor little wretch anything? Inquiring minds want to know...

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Don't want to start comparing. I would loose in a heartbeat. Mine are in full sun. Also have several in the back beds. I don't anything special. Actually they are a little out of the way and don't get watered very often. In your yard, everything is possible.

Christi

Thanks for the info, if I buy any next year I will plant them in the sun, if yours can take the Texas summer heat mine should be able to take the gentler temps here.
Off to work - have a lovely day everyone.

Chipley, FL(Zone 8a)

Hello all, I haven't been to this forum before but just thought I would stop by and browse the pictures - beautiful, just beautiful.

RJ - Randy (same person I think) there was some talk earlier on the thread about firespike both red and purple one - one blooms easily and one doesn't. I have both - for awhile the purple wouldn't bloom - then when I was visiting a nursery that had the purple ones in full bloom I asked "how". Basiclly what they said
was the red one is full sun and blooms profusely and the purple one needs dappled shade. Works - odd how there would be opposite requirements for the same kind of flower.

Hope this helps just a tad.

Dee

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Welcome Dee! Make yourself at home!

Love all of the flowers! Granddaughter is here, so gotta go! Have a great day!

Aloha Dee, nice to have you join us, and thanks for the info!
We would love to see pictures of your garden in Florida too!
Jen

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks Dee,
I thought as much ! I have both now..since then my friend brought me a purple one...it is much bigger than the red too.
Yes/ Rj- Randy...one in the same

mulege, Mexico

Welcome Dee and hi to everybody else

It's a beautiful day here. My peach tree is blooming for the first time. Also, a shotia which I grew from seed is starting to bloom for the first time!! I'm a very proud "mom." I started it from a seed from JLHudson. Lost the others during a move but this one has hung on. It's beautiful when not in bloom - it's evergreen and the new foliage has a bronze color. The first flowers are just opening but it has lots of inflos. Looks like the flowers will be a burgandy color.

I need to learn to use my camera.

In town, the jacarandas are starting to bloom and the bouganvillas are breathtaking.

I'm savoring the warm days and cool nights as all too soon it will be hot, humid days and nights.

katiebear

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi K T bear. Your descrptions are as good as a picture. thanks!
Thanks all others for the continuing pics!
The flower garden this morning!

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Now its raining and has got a bit out of control, the dam is overflowing and the road is bringing the water through the front gate! Wet, wet, miserable and wet!
p.s. Those are kangaroos over on the nieghbours lawn

This message was edited Apr 20, 2008 6:59 PM

Thumbnail by weed_woman
mulege, Mexico

What a beautiful garden.

Sorry about the flooding. It is awful to deal with. Our town lost many homes - and several lives - to flooding about a year ago.

katiebear

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Ditto Katie......Beautiful Garden! So sorry about the flooding!

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

hello everyone.
rj and dee you were talking about firespike. last year i got a cutting of a fushia one that flowers all year. the red i couldn't get to bloom (probably because i don't have much full sun) the lavender flowers all year in deep shade. dee i always wondered what i was doing wrong with the red. i guess you answered it dee thanks.
this is the fushia one you can see the red in the background struggling to flower.

Thumbnail by candela

Hey WW, lovely garden even though it's a tad damp.! Love the pics of the roos nibbling the grass across the street!
Jenny

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Thanks you guys! It was only flash flooding and all was well this morning with another glorious day in paradise. We had rain like this in february and a local boy lost his life while playing in the creek on his boogie board. Very traumatic for his Mum.
Kangaroos are everywhere around here. They like the open grass paddocks and spend all day eating grass and scratching themselves. They remind me of rabbits, although a bit larger! LOL.
This is my boat garden.
Its mostly Bangalow palms, Agapanthus, Xanadus, crotons, alternanthera, and some Giant African fountain grass behind the boat. (oh and Gazanias)(and Agaves and some papyrus)

This message was edited Apr 21, 2008 8:18 PM

This message was edited Apr 21, 2008 8:19 PM

Thumbnail by weed_woman

I love your boat planter, what a great idea ! Do the kangaroos just eat the grass or do they eat everything else too ? Very cool lawn mowers.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Everyone!

Oh I LOVE the boat garden! Some people down the street had one out for the trash and I wanted DS to bring it home, and he would not. His concern was standing water.....It probably had a hole in it and it would have leaked out.....I will have to show him this picture!!!!!!!!!! Love it!!!!!!!

My whole living room is decorated with ships and light houses, so that is just perfect!!!! Love it!

Jeanne

Redondo Beach, CA(Zone 11)

Thanks for the pics, Weed Woman, Crissy, Candela.
Great shots!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Beautiful flowers everyone! Sue - I adore the boat garden!!!! So very cool!! Since I am completely in pots, my garden cannot compare with the beauty that so many of you are showing, but I have a few that are special. Here is my pompom Ixora pale pink and profuse!

Thumbnail by Islandshari
TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

How original WW! Love that boat planter.
There was a very creative lady back in La. who turned a claw foot bath tub into a cushioned bench, and facing that bench was a bath tub planter.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

The boat is lined with a rubber pond liner, although I put some old carpet underneath first. Then I used aluminium floor strips and rivetted them along the inside edge to hold the liner in place. The seats are a good height to put pots of bog/marsh plants on and I have water lilies cyperus papyrus, pickeral rush and Japanese water Iris in it, along with goldfish that keep multiplying overnight! When it rains, the water overflows out of the cutout where the motor would normally be. We love it. it gets lots of frogs in the plants around it and this is always of great interest to any visitors. I've always thought a boat would make a great sand pit for kids too.
The Kangaroos only eat grass, but will squash garden beds when they lie down and will pull plants out when the males rub their chests scent glands on them. The males make a grunting noise sometimes, but other than that they are quite quiet. Some of the males are huge! You do have to be careful as they are wild animals and have very sharp claws. They kick out with their powerful back legs and are able to disembowel predators!
EEwwww!
Shari, your Ixoras are beautiful. I have a small yellow one and an orange one, but I would love a pink! I didn't know they came in pink! I'll see if I can source one.
No pics from me today, but will try for something tomorow! Thanks for sharing
Sue

Chipley, FL(Zone 8a)

Candela, I love that firespike. I have not seen a fushia one before. Guess now I will have to be on the hunt for one so I can have them all, LOL

Dee

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Sue, that is a great idea! It looks great! Love it!

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Sue, enjoy the hues of these NOID irises.
Dang forgot the pics!

This message was edited Apr 22, 2008 1:25 PM

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Thumbnail by heavenscape
TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Thumbnail by heavenscape
TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Thumbnail by heavenscape

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.