Tropical garden #6

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

Rita you sure look tiny under them big leaves :)
Hope you are not flooded!!
Jerry I love your Alpinia Zerumbet.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Mabe you should call her and see if she's okay

Dallas, TX

kimarj, She does have really BIG TROPICALS as she is 6ft.8ins. tall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not really, only in her heart.

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

LOLOL!!
Jerry yes her heart is HUGE :)

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Jerry, as RJ says, can you call Rita and check on her and let us know she is ok.
It has stopped here for the time being. I think I am about 5 miles from her. The wind is still doing its thing.

C

Dallas, TX

Just got off of the phone with Rita, Her home did not get flooded, YEA! She said it has allmost stopped raining. Jerry

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you for reporting to us. Don't want anyone to have water inside the house. Yes, it has stopped here. Sure hope it is over for now.

Christi

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

That's good..thanks for calling her.

The front just arrived here, with some terrific wind, but ti looks like it's going to be over alot more quickly than you folks had to deal with, not much rain either. The South wind headed it off mainly from here.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Good. While we could use the rain. Not a month's worth in a few hours. Standing water in my flat yard.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

uh oh... is this just a local event, or will it be coming to the atlantic coast too?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It's headed north ...I think it will miss SC, but it's going to nail eastern seaboard...NY area

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

oh ok...gud.... we just had some terrible storms.... the worst outbreak here since 1984 according to the weather man...

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I'm so glad all is well!! We're having high winds. We haven't had any rain yet.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

i hope yall come thru ok

Red Oak, TX

Thanks to everyone for your concern, it was a litte dicey for a while , but I guess after the last two floods we are better prepared.
My DH was on the computer checking on flights. We have a son coming back from a ski trip and a grandson leaving for one tomorrow, lots of flight cancellations.
I hope that we do not get any more rain tonight or we will have to break out the big pumps.
Thank you all again for your concern, even after you saw that picture.

Thumbnail by prita
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It looks as though Lousiana may see some of the action

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Glad your doing okay,

all of those Hibiscus pictures are making me think of expanding into more. If I can keep them in pots and smaller it would be great. They just get too big for me to handle here in the ground

Red Oak, TX

Thanks Rj, I hope that we get a sunny day soon to dry out. I have a love hate thing going with the hibiscus, right now they are covered with bugs , but when they bloom it is good.
They are all in pots.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I hear ya- I've been battling the bugs myself.
Did you get your blue sage for Vallentine Day? If not, I have one to bring you.

Christi, I'm making up my list of things to bring, please remind me of plants you'd like.....What is your position on vines? Do like them..want any ?

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I will almost build a fence in the middle of the yard to make a place for another vine. In other words, yeah boy, I like vines.

Christi

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

does anyone know when gloriosa lilies are supposed to come up??

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I think my friend in florida says around now and through summer.

Okay Christi..good I will add some vines

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

diehrdsouthrnr I planted glorisa lily seeds on 2/7/08 and they are ready to upsize now.
Hope this helps!!!

Red Oak, TX

LouC, It is hard for me to say where I might be on April 19th. My Mother will be here and there's no telling where we will be at that time, but if I am in Red Oak I will definately attend the round-up, with Truetropical and Texasbigleaves. Thanks for the invite.
Truetropical and I will be going to the nurserys in Houston soon.

Rj, I did not get a blue sage and would love to have one. Zone 9 is on the top of the list of nurserys to visit in Houston maybe I will see you then.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

Brug. in the GH.

Thumbnail by prita
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

RJ will be here the weekend of the 19th. Coming on the 18th and will be here 19, 20 and 21. We would really like the opportunity to visit your garden and Truetropical and Texasbigleaves while he is here.

???

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

I just bought some gloriosa lily tubers. Do I need to start them in small pots or can they go straight to the ground?

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Hi Ashley!!! I was talking about seeds. Alot of time I do start plants in pots and give them a chance to get established before moving them into the ground. Probably a just me thing. I like to baby stuff!!!

Red Oak, TX

LouC , I will try to make it happen, sounds like a good time for all. My mother is only allowed a few weeks in the country, and she warned me that she does not intend to spend it working in my yard. Unfortunately it is the same week of Rj visit.

This message was edited Mar 19, 2008 3:29 PM

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

ashleykelly, I started a few gloriosa lily tubers as well, last week. It will be my first gloriosa lily, maybe we can compare notes, if they ever get started. I planted each tuber in a 6"pot using seed starting mix, they have not sprouted as yet.
Here is another nice pair for you.

Thumbnail by prita
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Okay, I will bring one up.

Let me know if you come for nursery tour and visit to Zone9- I will need to arrange the the visit for you or put you in contact with Wayne. They are pretty much an online business, and not open to the public as a nursery. It's just as fun to go through as any nursery. LOL, sounds like your Mom knows us gardener types and is putting her foot down. My parents are here visiting now, but I'm lucky as they like the gardening.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

i put mine in soil this winter, and kept it bone dry in the garage all winter.... seemed to be ok... now it is outside and has been for about a month, and it still is not up!!!
PS... placenciarita, i have NOT forgotten about you.... the white texas star hibisus is coming up now... not too much longer till i can dig some and send it, hopefully!

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

i am glad everyone made it through the rain/flooding.

jerry it looks like your greenhouse is bursting out. how tall are those ginger?

Thumbnail by candela
Dallas, TX

candela, My ALP. ZERUMBET are about 14ft. tall. This pic. of my Alp. ( YU HWA ) Zerumbet is 12ft. tall. Jerry

Thumbnail by texasbigleaves
Dallas, TX

My Alp. Zerumbet variegated is about to bloom. It is 6ft. tall. Jerry

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Mine are starting buds too. I can't believe how tall they get!

Dallas, TX

Placenciarita, Another new Colocasia.

Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

I guess that's what I have too but I just call it eggshell ginger. :-)

Thumbnail by fredrump
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Do you have pictures of the palm tree tops in that photo?

Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

Anybody know what this is? It's growing out of a pot I found abandoned in some bushes. I think some time in the past I forgot what I was planting or got sidetracked or something and the plant just continued to grow. Mysterious things happen around here.

Fred

Thumbnail by fredrump

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.