Tropical garden #6

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I know you're gonna enjoy it regardless how you travel!!!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

So glad you got together with Jenny. She is a real jewel in every respect. You will enjoy every single minute on Maui. Sigh..

Christi

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

rita,
do you have a hammock in the gh. it is like an oasis in there.
we have the same wheel barrow and bunny.

Thumbnail by candela
Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

Christi,
Jenny told me to ask you to describe the highlights and give me suggestions from your experience. Anytime you have a free moment (or two) would you sit down and write a short synopsis of your trip? Things you especially liked and would have liked to spend more time with or at. You know, your trip in brief. You have my email address if you don't wish to share it with the gardener world here. Pictures would also help.

Fred

Red Oak, TX

candela, what a great idea. I will get a hammock for the greenhouse.
anthurium faustinomirandae.

This message was edited Mar 16, 2008 1:33 PM

Thumbnail by prita
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

it looks like a vanda is about to bloom.

Thumbnail by candela
Dallas, TX

IS SPRING REALLY HERE?

Thumbnail by texasbigleaves
Dallas, TX

PLACENCIARITA, You have D-Mail.

Dallas, TX

Placenciarita, GoodMorning and can you say COLOCASIA??? GO ahead and ask me! Not going to tell you,but ask me anyway.Going to work now. Jerry???????????????????????????????????

Red Oak, TX

Jerry, are we talking about colocasia, Thai-Giant ?

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

Regarding the previous post , perhaps you are refering to this noid beauty.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

candela, your Vanda must be a beauty. I noticed that fredrump had one on a tree too. What color is yours going to be? I am dying to see the blooms.
croton

Thumbnail by prita
Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

I've lived and learned about Vandas in trees. I had 6 or 7 growing quite happily up and down my plumaria trees and then two years ago we had a cold night and they all died. I didn't know how fussy they were. Now I wrap them with frost cloth and newspapere at the slightest hint of a freeze. So far so good. It seems to protect them. Once they get attached to the trees, you can't really move them anymore and they are stuck for good or bad. Same with all my other orchids my trees. The others aren't as fussy with the cold though.

Fred

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hmm...sounds like something I need to add to my garden!

Rita, thought you might appreciate this Texas size Iochroma. It's just bloomed a flush with another on the way. I was thinking I would have a nice tidy 4 foot shrub, but this garden seems to magnify everything.

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

i think this is the vanda that is about to bloom.

there are so many flowers on that colocasia.

rj that looks like a vine. nice. i have never heard of lochroma

Thumbnail by candela
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

oh yeah..that's a must add to the garden!

This is the Iochroma blooms. It is a shrub...it is hard to get a good picture in that location.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

This is a better close up of the shrub

Dallas, TX

Placenciarita, New Colocasia.

Dallas, TX

My orange prince's newest leaf is fire engine RED.

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

rj that is gorgeous. the deep purple color is rare in a garden. i just added it to my must haves

jerry they should have called it red prince. there are some incredible plant pictures here.

Thumbnail by candela
Red Oak, TX

candela, that is a very lovely color, unfortunately they are a little too cold sensetive for Texas.
thank you for showing us your vanda.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

Rj, very nice to see yourTexas size lochroma, yours is a diffrent color than mine. The one that I have is a royal blue, and is rather unruly and gangly from being in the GH all winter . If I can manage to train it into a standard like I did this hibiscus, I will try to buy one of the other colors.
Very nice pictures , thank you

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

Texasbigleaves, What is the name of your new Colocasia, and where did you find it? she is a beauty.
Spring is almost here, I have signs of new life everywhere.
A new alocasia cuprea leaf.

Thumbnail by prita
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Randy, I hope you can manage a start for my garden. That is beautiful.

Christi

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

That is stunning Randy - do start one for Christi - then I am borrow a cutting :-)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'll start a bunch of them- I am trimming it all the time anyway. aah..I'm getting all excited about the up coming gathering! I think I need to make a list of goodies so I won't forget!

I have an Iochroma grandiflora too, just got it a couple weeks ago..the trumpets flare like and angel trumpet and are a cobolt blueish color

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I feel I should get the garden crew to digging new beds already. Goody, goody. Pretty soon there will be no grass in the back. My heart's desire.

C

Rita, could you get everyone together and allow us to visit while Randy is here?
Round Up is the 19th of April in Waxahachie. Just realized that since you don't visit the Texas forum you are probably not even aware of it. You Dallas area guys need to check it out. Really close to all of us and it is going to be a lot of fun.

Dallas, TX

RAIN and more RAIN. My alpinia " Yu Wha" is starting to bloom. Placenciarita, i hope your yard and greenhouses are not under water like mine! Jerry

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Everything here is underwater... the whole street area is under a few inches already. Need this rain to slow down a little.

Dallas, TX

Blooms on my Alpinia Zerumbet.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

stunning - that is a ginger right?

Dallas, TX

My Anth.Faustinomirandea with a bad case of sunburn. One day of sunshine to one day of nothing but rain. At least it's not snowing BUT this is TEXAS you know! Jerry

Dallas, TX

This is the plant last fall before putting on cover. Yes it is a Ginger. Jerry

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

That front has kind of stalled around your area and is moving N.E. It was suppose to have pushed through here around noon. I hope we're spared, but I highly doubt it...it's just delayed.
I can't wait to see your green house set up and learn the clever ideas you come up with to keep the plants lucious!

Dallas, TX

rjuddharrison, I have to give credit to the goodness of Mother Nature, my dumb luck and to my best bud Placenciarita.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Rita, the news is giving terrible information about the floods in Red Oak. I hope you are not involved. My yard is standing and if it gets any higher in the front it will come under the walls.

Christi

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh lordy, Jerry. I hope it is letting up. I am holding my breathe for all of us.

christi

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yeah, I think we are going to get pounded too...it just got delayed..that's all.

Yes TBL, we gardener folk take care of one another! It makes the BIGGEST big leaf difference!

Dallas, TX

LouC, Rj, I hope it has stopped in Redoak, Rita and Ken's home has been flooded two times before. They have been remodeling their home all summer.Rita let us know something when you can. Jerry

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Love the pictures Jerry....Rita, you sure are a cutie! Y'all are lucky to have each other. It feels like a hurricane is passing through here with all this wind.

Please let us know how you are doing Ms. Rita!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.