Spring Blooms!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Finally we are at the point where the flowers are starting. Show us your best spring bloomers!

Here's my first crocus.

Thumbnail by victorgardener
Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Oh how wonderful a sight would that be here. So cheerful Victor. We have a little while to go still but I do appreciate the preview. :)

Thanks ngam! Another view.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Victor, You win. I saw the Red Sox win too. I won't be home for a week, so I am hopeful that the deer and rabbits have not eaten everything if anything is up. Doubt it. Patti

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

show off!

Actually, yesterday was lovely and I walked around the yard, found some crocus buds and some snow drop buds trying to push up. Today, it's sleeting and we are under a winter storm warning, but the geese were headed in a northwesterly direction so there's hope springing eternally, along with some crazy tulips that are pushing up under a hollyhock.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Awe, thank you Victor! It gives me hope....

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Since I have no blooms yet,this might make you feel like spring. I hope they will be around in a little over a month here. http://www.naturesound.com/frogs/audio/peeper.ram

Hellebore blooms getting ready.

This message was edited Mar 4, 2008 7:38 PM

Your making me feel really good. I thought all crocus was blue and white..... oh duh. Now I have to replan :-)

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

I guess I gotta get out there with my camera now. Last nights rain melted most of the snow away.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

More signs of spring:
daffodils poking up...

Thumbnail by tamberlin
Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Tree Peony buds....

Thumbnail by tamberlin
Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

New leaves on Hellebores....

Thumbnail by tamberlin
Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

wet couch hogs....

Thumbnail by tamberlin
Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

muddy knees.....

:)
Deb

Thumbnail by tamberlin
Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Wheee! You got muddy knees! Is your soil thawed already?

I went out with camera in hand to get a shot of some crocuses and didn't see one. Not even any crocus greens! I was very disappointed.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

You are north of me and have all that growing already? Gives me hope if this ground gets defrosted we will get some action here too. Yippeee! The muddy knees I could do now though. LOL

Mine is in a sunny, sheltered area facing south. The rest of mine around the garden have yet to appear either, so don't despair, Harper.

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Victor....Crocus chrysanthus 'Goldilocks' in those first photos?

Mine popped up today:

Thumbnail by David_Paul

Not sure, David. I planted them a while back. Looks like you have lots!

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

I cheated - the muddy knees are from being pulled to the ground by dogs intent on squirrel for lunch.
There is a lot peeking through the soil though. Lots of mud, mud and more mud!!!

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Oh Deb! You made me laugh.

Victor, thanks for that reassurance. All my crocuses are planted on the cold, north side. I have tulip and daffodil greens coming up on the south side. It's like a zone warmer over there.

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

I went hunting around part of the yard today. Can't get through the mud barrier to view the rest of the yard!

Poking their little heads through the ground are Iris dardanus, hyacinth, and (finally!) my snow drops.

Victor, this is for you, because you showed us your snowdrops recently:

"It's rather dark in the earth tonight,
said one little bulb to his brother.

But I thought that I felt a sunbeam ray,
we must strive and grow till we find the way.

And they nestled close to each other,
then they struggled and toiled by day and by night.

Till two little snowdrops in green and white,
rose out of the darkness and into the light."

(Unknown)

Very nice, Sue. Thanks!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Thats lovely Sue, thanks for sharing that!

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

*sigh*
i have nothing. People in colder places are seeing sprouts, and i have nothing.
Now i am worried.

No need, Amy. I have all of about five blooms - four snowdrops and one crocus!

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

And he's making a big deal about it, too!

And why not?! Each winter seems to last longer to me. Any sign that it's not permanent is very reassuring!

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Amen to that, Victor!

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

i went out today and looked closely at everywhere i planted anything, sure some itty bitty green sprout would be peeking out somewhere.
And i planted several dozen "snow crocus" which are supposed to be really early.
But, last year i didn't have anything till sometime in April. (i didn't plant crocus last year either...)
i dreamed last night that a bunch of my tulips from last year had sprouted - and some were blooming. But they were only half as tall, and had freaky huge flowers.

Little Shop of Horrors?

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

Not so exciting. Just tulips that had 5" stems and huge weird flowers. i thought, well, i didn't expect them to return at all, i guess they just sorta mutate underground.
i think this was because way back in the fall i was on a bulb website that kept talking about tulips with "soda can" sized blooms, and that just sounded so weird and unappealling to me. These tulips had flowers that were "soda can" size.

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Think this is C. sieberi Tricolor (might be C. sieberi Firefly however):

Thumbnail by David_Paul
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Probably Crocus chrysanthus 'Ard Schenk':

Thumbnail by David_Paul
Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

A couple of little beauties you have there. Still waiting here.

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

sigh.

Very nice, David!

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

i DO have some little sproutlets.
Up by the woods, where i put some daffodils, species tulips, and snow crocus, i have about 8 little sprouts - but they look too solid for crocus. And by one of the stumps where i put species tulips, there are 2 little sprouts.
Yay!

So, the other stupid thing is, for a couple weeks now, i have sprouts of the saffron crocuses i planted in the fall, which were sprouted when i got them. After i learned that they bloom in the fall, and should have been planted in the spring, i threw the rest away, but i had planted 8 or 10, and now they are coming up?!?

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

amethystsm . . .there you go. Being so close, I figured you had to have something almost up. As I recall, you bought some hard to find tulips last fall. Are they early or late?

Looks like rain tommorow afternoon thru Sunday AM. A lot should be up after that.

Another view of the Goldilocks:

Thumbnail by David_Paul

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.