Spring Blooms!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Looks 'just right', David!

David - consider inter-planting it with DL 'Wolf Eyes'!

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

What are they, Victor?

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Amy I did the same thing with my saffron crocus .... mine did not bloom last year... if they don't come up this year... oh well might just look to replace them

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

David....Victor was being funny. Goldilocks and the Big Bad Wolf....'Wolf Eye's' is a name of a daylily.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I have sprouts everywhere too. I'm so excited! I had planted the fall blooming crocus a couple of years ago. I have never gotten one flower from them. Just greens.

Here is one of a bunch of early bloomers.

Thumbnail by Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

One more

Thumbnail by Anitabryk2
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Pretty Anita!! Is that last one a type of Iris?? It's so dainty and pretty!!!

Congrats, Anita!

Windsor, CT(Zone 6a)

Wow, the first Iris bloom! Nice job. I poked at mine yesterday- nuthin. It's their first waking spring here, I hope I didn't chose a bad spot. I'd hate to lose the Japanese ones after digging, potting, hauling, digging & replanting them last summer! Their new location is a few feet from really wet. Not standing water, but a seasonal brook/mire type area that barely dries out in July.

The crocus & hyacinths are poking up, as well as the daylillies. If I push back the leaves, the geranium and mint have some shoots started too! Gotta have that mint for Derby Day.

The red winged black birds & the grackles showed up 2 days ago.

It's finally a-coming alright.

Those fall blooming crocus are odd. You get greens in the spring that die back and then you get just a bloom sticking up out of the ground. Unless you have something growing around them, it's peculiar looking.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Oh how nice Anita. I have some blue of the little spring iris. I hope to see mine pretty soon. All this rain should get things going.
The fall crocus will probably come back again this fall. Here is a pic of mine.

Thumbnail by ngam
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

First year naturalizing bulbs in the lawn. Placed 50 of this species here, 15 or 25 of that color there. Didn't want them all, yet, mixed together.

Squirrels didn't like that. They made their own arraignment in a junk pile of sod across the path from the lawn. Looks kinda nice actually. The squirrel arraignment is coming up earlier than the bulbs carefully placed at the right depth in well fertilized soil too

Some out on the lawn they missed:

Thumbnail by David_Paul
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I like the lawn look.

They are dwarf iris. B&B have a good selection http://www.brentandbeckysbulbs.com/spring/genus.php

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

David, the tulips i was having touble finding were Maureen, a single late white/ivory tulip to go with my Queen of Nights. Except for a few species tulips, and some liliy-flowered Claudias, all my tulips are triumph or single late.
Hopefully everything won't drown in the rain!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I know my tulips are drowing in my back yard. They are under quite a bit of water.

South Hamilton, MA

Those dwarf iris at the nursery are I.reticulata, a bulbus iris.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

yes. Aren't they pretty?

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm jealous - it'll be awhile before this last foot of snow melts. It hasn't finished falling yet. It was nice to see daffodils and other flowers on vacation though.

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Although it is raining buckets this evening, we still have three feet of snow and ice to get through until we can see mud ... or anything that may be sprouting. I sigh when I see these lovely photos!

Hi Candyce!

Hi, Victor!

Hope.

Thumbnail by victorgardener
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

sigh... hope

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Great pic Victor, kinda sums up what the hope of spring is all about. Neat. :)

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Only a few hours of sun on the north side of the house but the ground above the septic tank is nice and toasty for blulbs:

Thumbnail by David_Paul

Looking better all the time ~~~~~~

So not only is the grass greener over the septic...

Hey I don't have much planted. I did do a few DL and some things in a little garden and some crocus and tulips four years ago. I never paid attention to the tulips and crocus let alone know what I was doing! Planted 1 bulb here, 1 bulb there - again and again. Now that I have and idea what is to be done I should did them up..... :-}

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

c. sieberi Firefly:

Thumbnail by David_Paul
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

close-up:

Thumbnail by David_Paul

Beautiful, David!

Those are gorgeous, DP!!
They look like the ones I had coming up and then blooming on April 21st of last year. I can't wait for April 21st!!

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Victor, what are you hoping for here - jelly beans?

Thumbnail by PrimroseSue

Nah - spring will suffice.

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

What are they, anyways? They do look like jelly beans though, don't they!

Bulb foliage. Planted so many in that box (B & B's fall sale) that I'm not sure which that is.

Sure looks, er, different.

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

Why does Easter make me want candy that I don't want any other time?

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

DP those are beautiful and such a lovely sight, I now have hope. (as long as I don't look out the window)

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

Wow, I can't believe you guys have crocus already! I feel like ours are a long way from showing up, but you guys aren't all that far away from me, so I think I feel the first stirrings of hope.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.