Folks Going to Longwood Gardens

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm sure that Candee (haighr) greatly appreciates everyone's words of comfort. She'll be back on-line when she is able.

Sally: I set aside 1 dozen small plastic black pots for you.

I'll bring the other plastic black pots in the car and they are available to anyone.

somewhere, PA

I'm sorry to say I'm not coming. I simply have too much to do.
Have a wonderful time!
Tam

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Sorry to hear it Tammy. Maybe next time.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Sorry you can't make it, Tammy. I was wondering when I had not seen you post on this thread. Maybe next time.

Hope we can meet on another get together.

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

Same feelings here, Tammy hopefully we can meet on another get together and our condolences to Candee and Steve in the loss of your friend :( hope to meet you both some day too.

Have a safe drive today, those of you who are headed to the Longwood Gardens area hotel accommodations...your get-a-way has begun! We can't wait to join the fun tomorrow rain or shine. Which is it going to be rain or shine? I haven't seen the forecast yet

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thank you so much for your warm thoughts for Steve and I. I cannot express what it means to have such warm hearted friends in such a tragic time. I smile when I think of all of you and the adventure you are about to embark seeing all those lovely gardens. I will be thinking of you and watching for all the photos.
Don't forget to take one for me of those fabulous treehouses.
Again thank you for your thoughts and prayers, they are much needed and greatly appreciated.
Candee & Steve

Crozet, VA

My condolences to you too Candee and Steve. I also had news on Wednesday evening that my last uncle died that afternoon. Now there is just one aunt left from both of parents families. I will most likely miss his funeral due to being up here, but will see the family in the next few weeks. I suspect that I won't be missed due to him being involved with his church and other organizations around town. I suspect it will be quite a crowd.

Anyway, I am looking forward to meeting everyone tomorrow. Be safe driving everyone.

Ruby

sorry to hear about your Uncle, Ruby

I've been snooping around on-line about Longwood and the surrounding area it is really nice and I wish we were staying at a B&B or something! Anyway, I found this nice listing of restaurants if anyone is staying around for dinner
http://www.thebrandywine.com/dine/cuisine_index.html

We might stop at The Chadds Ford Tavern for dinner before we head home. I was trying to find a place that was close, not too $, and that we could be sort of dressed up enough to go straight to from the gardens.

or possibly as dragonfly53 mentioned, The Kennet Square Inn http://www.kennettinn.com/

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Saturday forecast- mostly sunny and high of 69 F
^_^

If its OK with those in attendance, I might ask if I could do an article about Longwood and possibly use pictures from the day? maybe a group photo

This message was edited May 16, 2008 2:46 PM

after a cool and balmy day here today, we decided to go with the Kennet Square Inn. A nice cup or bowl of mushroom soup sounded too tempting to resist being so near the mushroom capital of the world lol.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennett_Square,_Pennsylvania

Our reservation is under Wind at 5:30 pm (Harry & Diana). If anyone decides to join us, just give them a call and add to the reservation :) or just go there, it shouldn't be a problem, they said they are not looking too busy for tomorrow night so far.

the weather tomorrow is supposed to be nice, I heard sunny and 72 :)))
so the golfers in the group should be happy too!

hi SallyG we cross posted. so glad to hear the confirmation on nice weather :))))))

an article would be nice...Longwood Gardens is really a great place to share with people that could never make the trip or inspire those who can to go visit some day. I'm bringing my digital camera too and can send you what I take for you to route through ~ if they turn out, you could surely use any.

I was wondering how it works when people are in the photo when writing a DG article, does everyone just give a verbal consent? I have a place I'm considering writing about too and there are people I wanted to get in some photos. You'll have to tell me about how that works tomorrow :)

"You'll have to tell me about how that works tomorrow :)"
if I know-gotta check- I believe that I can go with verbal consent. I got verbal consent from my kids recently LOL.
I can go general- the garden- or more specific- a Daves group at the garden. Hey- I wouldn't want to claim this all my own

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Hi. All I just got done checking into the hotel. We were up graded to a 2 bedroom. Wow this place is nice. I am on the first flour using a computer that is fee for guests to use.
It was a long drive, left at 9:30 am. We are going out to get a bite to eat.
Might check bach here when I get back.

Ruby, sorry to hear of your loss. I'll give you a big hug tomarrow. : (

hi ladyg! we didn't think we would hear from you until tomorrow! That is neat they have a computer for the guests. Glad you got there safe and sound. Flowerjen was trying to reach you and left a message with me to give you in the am...she'll probably chime in here...now that she knows you have computer access :)

Crozet, VA

Sounds like everyone is psyched. See you folks in the morning.

Ruby

I'm sorry for your loss, Ruby.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone tomorrow! It should be a lot of fun!!

Crozet, VA

Well, I was the first to leave the party. What a great day to spend touring Longwood Gardens. How fun to see the people that I have met before and how special to meet the new ones. There were some really lovely sights. The conservatory was quite breathtaking in its beauty. What gorgeous plants we got to see.

On the way out I stopped in the gift shop and bought a book about the gardens and two tiny plants. I bought a red bloom Kalancha and Polka Dotted Plant. Hopefully they will live and thrive and be a reminder of the good day that I had.

I didn't bring the adapter for the camera, so no pictures from me yet. I am looking forward to hearing what everyone else has to say about today and also looking forward to seeing pictures that everyone took.

I hope that everyone will return home safely. Thank you so much Chris for organizing this get together. I believe that everyone had a good day.

Ruby

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Ruby--

I am SOOO sorry you missed the Orchid Room! Oh my!!! They were all SPECTACULAR!!!!! That would have blown you away!!!! I am sure you will see all kinds of pictures posted. For the rest of you--just go to the Mid Atlantic Forum to see them all.

There were all kinds of other "Rooms" off of this. Seemed like an endless "loop". one--Tropicals--Carnivorous--Ferns--Cactus and Succulents--The Silver Room--etc.....

It was another 2 hours of walking.....and this was all still part of the Conservatory!

Then we went on to the "Ideas Garden"--a FULL Vegetable and Herb garden. And the Bell Tower, with it's wonderful bells "singing" every half hour or so. And the location of it--on a hillside covered in Azaleas and a waterfall to one side. So beautiful!

Lots more walking......I think we all were starting to "feel it"! Even Sally....I mean--I have an excuse, but she is still a "young one"....I survived the day by taking 2 pain pills----
When we all got back to the parking Lot--we woofed down the Apple Fritters I had brought. Chatted a while and then drove home.

Overall--it was a most perfect day! Not too warm--not cold at all. Just a slight breeze now and then....

I am falling asleep writing this! Too much fresh air......

YES!!!! I have a picture of Me hugging Ruby for those of you that asked for it.....
Here it is.......

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

aaaaahhhhhhh lovely photo :)
we just got home...too exhausted to write much or post any pics tonight ~ it sure was a great day!

It was great to meet you Gita and see you again Ruby and John and to meet Angela and all the DGers that were able to attend.

It was an adventure after we left Longwood to find the restaurant in Kennett Square. We found out the hard way that the main streets are ONE WAY!!!!!! It took us a few trys to find where we were going, but we found it. Tell you more tomorrow. Hope everyone else got home safely and those traveling tomorrow do too :)

HA HA- I wondered who would be the first to post here!
Shirley1 and I made it home fine after dropping Gita at her house, and accepting some plants from her (pre-swapping!)
Surprise- my hubby went to the store with the kids and got steak and etc and made a decent dinner while I was still out- the leftovers tasted darn good for a late dinner when I got back. What was my favorite thing of the day?????????????????
how abbout 47 fave things???
Thanks Chris for organizing us! Thanks "Mr" Chris for bringing her and waiting patiently. Nice talking to you too!

yes thank you Chris for organizing such a great time! It was a wonderful trip and I really enjoyed meeting everyone as did my husband.

hmmmmm my favorite things? I'd have to say I have a few; one of my favorites was inside the conservatory looking at all the different plants especially the ones from South Africa. We also loved the brick walkway they had winding through the South African plants. Hummingbirds would just love it in there with all the fuchsias! My other favorite part was the vegetable and herb gardens.

I really want a compost bin setup like they had and OMG the pergolas were just what I have on my wish list. I could have spent more time in the herb garden area though...next time!

I'm still trying to straighten out my pictures, most of them are over exposed which I hate about my stinky camera but the group photo came out pretty good and a few other shots. I'll post some. Are we posting here or on a separate thread? I did post a few already on the Trellis Design thread I started. I really want a pergola some day and need ideas for trellis' for climbers :)
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/844786/

Thumbnail by wind
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Could someone direct me to the photos that you have begun to post. Sounds like you had a fabulous day and the weather was on your side as well. Will be watching for photos.

hi Haighr, I don't think they are started yet. I think once Ladygardener gets home safe and sound and has a chance to unload all her photos she will probably start up something for us or someone else will soon. I know I'm still trying to sort through my photos too. I want to crop some yet and turn them etc

We missed you and hope we can all go again some day. There was so much to see it was impossible to see it all, although we did try! They had a section with really old established Tulip trees that I meant to see but never got too.

they had some potted up grapefruit trees in the conservatory area...here we are, my husband Harry...Ladyg in the background walking to the next area

Thumbnail by wind
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I started a thread here for the pics of the trip
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/850074/

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thank you wind and so nice to meet you if only in a photo. Thanks for the link jen, I am skipping over there now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.