Folks Going to Longwood Gardens

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Sorry Folks. I will be unable to go on this trip. DH raised the roof about the gas (thought this would never happen to me) so the trip is off. Here's hoping all of you have fun & take plenty of pix to show right here.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

So sorry Buttoneer. I know how high the gas prices are! I work in Ohio and fill up the tank before I come home I saved 20¢ a gal. last week. We have no public transportation were I live. I'd take the bus to work if it was available.

Crozet, VA

Awwww.....so sorry to hear that Buttoneer. I was looking forward to meeting you. I suspect that you won't be the last person who will have a damper put on trip plans due to the high price of gasoline.

Welcome to babybubbs and wife Deb though. The more the merrier.

Yep, not too long now at all.

Ruby

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Sorry to hear that Buttoneer - we missed meeting once before when we thought about visiting Longwood a year or two ago. Any chance he might change his mind between now and then?

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I doubt it. Thanks, anyway. HollyS is planning a roundup at her house in the future. Maybe there. She lives in Dover, PA.

Magnolia, DE(Zone 7a)

Sorry Buttoneer, we wanted to meet you . You seem to be a very happy person. All pictures will be taken by Deb. I am not allowed to use the camera . The only things I can get is pictures of my eye and peoples feet:) Hard to believe I used to work on robotic machines:) We are excited to meet everyone.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

That's a shame Buttoneer.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, it is a shame but ya know, I am going on two trips in June 12. The Hobby Greenhouse group is taking a tour with George Weigle to the National cathedral & bishops gardens in D.C. and going with the master gardeners to Morris arboretum in Philadelphia June 5. So I will get around & I don't have to put gas in my car. H ave a great weekend!!!!

Check this out!
http://www.satellite-sightseer.com/id/8919/United_States/Pennsylvania/Kennett_Square/Longwood_Gardens

Lots of walking!!!!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Well that's good I thought you were going to be stuck at home all summer.

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

neat link ladyg :)

sorry you can't make it buttoneer, hope to meet you at some other DG gathering some day. have a good season with your craft shows ( I think it was you that did craft shows?)

Crozet, VA

It won't be long now folks. Is everyone who first planned to attend on Saturday still going, other than Button? Have we decided on a meeting place and time? What's up ya'll?

There are so many things planned for this month it seems. I am sure that everyone would like to attend all of the possibilities, but will need to pick and choose.

Let's get some dialogue started regarding this tour please.

Ruby

Ok, I have cell phone # contact with....Wind, Sally (Gita and Shirley1md are with Sally), Flowerjen, Babybubbs and Ruby.
I plan to arrive when they open at 9:00 and will hang around past the ticket sale area towards the gift shop, (I have never been there, so this is a guess, from the description I was told).
I figured by 9:30, depending on how many we get at 9:00 we will leisurely start and the rest can catch up as we go, that is the advantage of cell phones.
I will be leaving Friday, late am or early afternoon so I won't have access to my puter to get any last minute updates. Maybe Sally could take over this thread at that point in case we get more that want to join us or will not be able to attend.
I know Wind and Ruby will be on the road also by Friday.
Might be a good idea if you all could exchange cell phone # with another person in the group just in case my phone dies, (sorry I guess this is the Girl Scout coming out in me....Be Prepared.)
No meal plans are made. I personally will be packing some cereal bars to hold me over, and starting out with a hardy breakfast.
So there you go Ruby and everyone. The count down begins!
Happy Mothers Day to all!

Crozet, VA

Thank you so much for the info Chris. This looks like a good plan to me. My niece is planning to come along with us too. I have never been there either and am not aware of lunch facilities or anything else. I guess that now would be a good time for me to go and look at Longwood's website.

You folks all have a wonderful day.

Ruby

Hi and Happy Mother's Day to all the moms :)

My husband and I will leave early in the am on Sat. to get there between 9 and 9:30 by the gift shop. After you pay and go in, the gift shop is large and on the left side, you can't miss it.

We are not bringing a lunch and will surely eat at the restaurant they have there. It is a nice set up, fast self service if I recall. You pay, then take your tray to a table.

If we don't make it by 9:30 and you all start off who should I call so we can catch up with you?

Wind, you got D-Mail

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms!

Gita & I will be driving up with Sally. We are planning to drive up early on Saturday morning. We will be at Longwood Gardens around 10:00a.m, unless we leave a bit earlier. I'll have to check with Sally on that. We will have to catch up with the group too. Chris, I will d-mail you my cell phone number as well.

I'm getting so excited about meeting everyone, putting names & faces together, plus seeing the gorgeous gardens. What a great mini-roundup!

See you all soon!

Shirley

This message was edited May 11, 2008 8:24 PM

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Shirley, I was planning on arriving around 10 also.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

oh the rain is just pouring down- knock on wood- for better weather Saturday---

ladyg, I think we are going to shoot for 10am too and then catch up with you earlier birds :)

Ruby, that is nice your niece (say that 10 x's!) is going :)

looking forward to meeting everyone!

Looks like most will be showing up at 10:00, I'll just circle back and meet you all.
Just play it by ear and see what happens ☺

Chris

Sounds like a plan, Chris!

What are we all planning to do for lunch? Are people bringing snacks/drinks with them?

Shirley and others her is a link to the food and drink ? http://www.longwoodgardens.org/PYVFAQ.html#Food%20and%20Drink%20in%20the%20Gardens

Looks like bring your own F&D into the gardens is a no no, but I plan on putting a few snack bars in my fanny pack and maybe a bottled water but I might have to break down and buy a bottle which will probably be over priced. I sip water all day, with my meds I have to.

Thanks for the link, Chris.

I vote for the self-service cafe. We can eat and talk without spending a lot of money.

Like that Idea,S.

it must have been the self-service cafe that I've been to before, it worked out well. I vote for that too :)

I never did get to order our t-shirts in time....

I have an extra DG shirt I could loan you for the day. It's a size "L". Would that work?

hi shirley1 :) that would be great if you don't mind letting a total stranger wear your clothes! size large is perfect. What color is it? I'll have my husband wear the same color so we look coordinated :))))))) ahhh your sweet....but then maybe that is not such a good idea because I would feel funny giving you back an unwashed shirt after the day. Maybe I'll pick up some name badges or something at Staples and we can all wear one and write Dave's Garden at the top and then our names???

Crozet, VA

I like the name badge idea. That is if you are willing to make them. Let us know.

Ruby

good morning :)
Ruby, there is nothing to make really, I could just pick some up and bring a marker and we simply write our names on them. They have the peel back adhesive and you just stick it on. They are very inexpensive too, so it is no big deal. I just had to buy some for a project and that is how I knew they were available.

counting down....I only have one more exam to go ~ yesterdays just about crippled me!!!!!!!! I was thinking I didn't even want to go to L.gardens I was so depressed about my day. But I am slowly recovering and NEED to get out and about far away, leaving this semester behind. Longwood is going to be a welcomed treat and the kickoff for me to get back into my gardening momentum. yay :))))))))))))

Crozet, VA

Oh Gosh Diana - Sorry to hear that you have been feeling poorly. I have suffered a lot of depression in my life and boy does it steal from a person. Thankfully, with the help of an antidepressant and the ability get mad after a day or so of depression, I can climb back out of the hole. I get angry at depression because 50 years later I am able to remember feeling good at times and that is what I strive for. Depression has no place in my life. Sounds as though you are much the same way.

I am glad that the semester is basically over for you. It does sound as though you need a break desperately. Yippie, see you Saturday.

Ruby

Wind:

Not a problem! The DG shirt is a medium gray color. Nothing very exciting. I'll bring it in a plastic bag, at the end of the day you'll just toss it in there & then I'll throw it in the washing machine when I get home. No big deal. I'll bring it with me in case you change your mind.

I like the name tag suggestion too. I'm terrible with names & faces and the tags will help reinforce who's who!

ok thanks and I'll bring a some tags for those that want to wear one :)
I'm looking forward to going and to meeting everyone.

I guess we are not going to swap any extra seedlings with each other because they would wither and die in our hot cars. I have extra little (I mean little) babies of lime basil, red rubin basil, and some other things I could share if anyone was interested. An open air pick up truck would have worked lol

See you soon!

I'm not even thinking of swapping, have to worry about them in the car to long. I think just meeting and enjoying each others company and the gardens would be enough. Don't forget there is a Dahlia sale at the gardens. That sounds like fun.
Looks like there may be a chance of showers, bring rain gear,and maybe an extra pair of socks just in case your feet get wet. Lots of walking I hear.
Wind, we will all be there to cheer you up!

I have small black plastic pots that are FREE to good homes! PLEASE.... take them of my hands!

I was asked to post this message: Candee (haighr) and her husband Steve, send their regrets because they are unable to attend the Longwood Gardens trip this weekend due to an unforeseen & tragic death of a friend of the family. They are very sorry to miss this trip, but hope that others will understand. They hope to attend future Mid-Atlantic events.

Candee & Steve {{{{Hugs}}}} for you both.
There will be time later for you to get together with your DG friends.
Take care we will be thinking about you!

♥♥♥
Chris

This message was edited May 14, 2008 4:34 PM

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Candee & Steve, thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.

I never bought my DG shirt, either. Praying for no rain.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Shirley- I could use some pots- if you have a dozen or solike 3 inch or thereabouts. in anticipation of my fabulous results, ahem.

So sorry to hear the bad news. My sympathies.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.