Today's Weather in Your Garden - 14

The sap has been running for a little over a week now. I think it is going to be a good run this year. Last year was not good for those sappers.

Snow flurries tonight and then Saturday???????????????????????????????

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the great slideshow Patti! I loved it.

I woke up to a dusting of snow everywhere this morning. It's all melted away now. 44 and sunny.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

46 degrees, now it's partly sunny. It was supposed to rain today, I don't know what happened to that forecast.

Port Matilda, PA(Zone 6a)

Patti, if you were at Black Point this time of year and it was windy, I bet you were pretty cold! BRRR! We lived right down the street from a Pat's Pizza in Orono, where we went to college at the Univ. of ME.
I have seen the pileated woodpecker occasionally in my back yard. They do have a distinctive call, don't they? I also saw a red-bellied woodpecker at the suet yesterday.. I wonder why they call it red-bellied, when only the head and nape of its neck are red...?

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I had no idea that Pat's was in Orono too. We did go for a couple of walks down on the neck, but after Fl it was cold. The plane back to Nantucket was a bit beyond bumpy, but very quick. It was a two hands on the steering wheel on the way down too as the car was being blown about a lot. Here is a great site for listening and reading about birds. Red bellied has a reddish cast to it's belly. Patti

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Pileated_Woodpecker.html#sound

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

36 and pure sunshine all day!! I feel so lucky....blessed actually!!!!!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

We reached about 48 before. Very nice day. 46 now and clear.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Only 40 here but nice and sunny. Pixie - you must feel like you're in North Carolina!

Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

Just stopping in the say Hi! It was a beautiful day here with temps in the 30's!! Still lots of snow on the ground - doesn't seem to be melting very fast. Eleanor

Hi Eleanor! You'll get there eventually.

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

What a beautiful day here in the Hudson Valley! The temp is 45 degrees right now and there is hope for spring! I took a walk through the woods yesterday to check on the flooding and signs of spring but unfortunately, not even the skunk cabbage has popped up! I hope this doesn't mean a late spring..... At least I have some orchids and even a Christmas cactus blooming.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Got up to 40 today, walked the dog quite a ways.

fishing weather I guess

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

I took the dog for a long walk today too. My son came along. We walked along a bike path near here. It was sad to see so much trash thrown into the rivers and swamps. I nearly cried.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Not quite N. Carolina Pirl, but a really nice change. Of course we are expecting 1-3" of snow tomorrow, but I was very thankful for today!

Oh no - more?!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Oh yes, and snow/rain/sleet mix on Friday.

Is it worse in North China??

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Nope, bout the same! hee hee

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Is there a North China? There is a town north of Madison called North Leeds, but there is no Leeds or South Leeds around.

Do we know how much they leed by at least??

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

No, will have to get out the globe and see if it's north of Leeds, England at least.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

In snow in china? or in lead in Leeds? North or South, Pixie has had it with any snow that is as heavy as lead to move from China. Patti

This message was edited Mar 11, 2008 10:15 PM

The naming of towns is a very interesting subject. There are many instances in this country where you see the same name used over and over. Many times they are on a near straight line. That was how settlers would sometimes do it - with 'ley' lines.

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

and they are all in CT!
Norwalk Norwich
Waterbury Waterford Watertown
New London New Britain
Middletown Middlebury

i dunno. there's a lot.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Hey we have a Watertown,Middleton and New London near here.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Portland, Maine
Portland, Oregon
Portland Texas
Augusta Maine
Augusta Georgia
Augusta Kentucky
Augusta Arkansas

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

it's all the towns with nearly identical names in the same state that makes CT so confusing if you aren't from here...

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

took this yesterday morning with my phone

Thumbnail by onewish1

35 and overcast. Yes, I meant identical names, not ones that are close. I saw a lecture by a guy who showed straight lines on a map of the east coast that spanned as much as hundreds of miles and had these names all along the line!

I missed all the fun again. That's what I get for going to sleep, dang it all.

North Augusta, ON

Snowing again, few more inches already...sigh

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Here in Ma. and in much of the northeast there are a lot of towns and cities named for the towns or shire the settlers came from. Other ones are named for the first family that settled there and a lot have names from the native tribes word for an area. These names followed across the country with the settlers so many are repeated. Where I live used to be North Taunton, a town in England, then was separated from Taunton, shortened and became Norton.
The weather here is dark and raw with a light steady rain little wind and 34 degrees. Should improve this pm.

Sun breaking through now.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Waiting for the snow to start......it will be soon. The sky is gray and it's 27 degree's.

This message was edited Mar 12, 2008 8:49 AM

Beginning the see the output from my solar panels increase noticeably now. The other day they generated over 32 kWh.

North Augusta, ON

The verdict is?

Are they worth the initial expense?

For me they are. It's different for every location (differences in tax incentives), individual system (amount of shading, angle, etc.) and utility rates.

Southold was originally named Southwold (south woods) by settlers from Southwold, England. Later it was shortened to eliminate the "w".

I'm beginning to feel I've been here since it was Southyoung.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Did you move there through tectonic plate movement?

No, via a '91 Chrysler.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.