Winter's still here, but spring's getting closer!

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks Jaye, that sounds so good. The leaves all dropped off whem the cool air hit back in Nov. I have new shoots coming up now. I will take from the one that is just starting to peek through the soil cause that will be the newer part.

How do you make ginger tea Kim?

When I first planted the roots, which was last January it took about 2 months before I got shoots. The one I planted in April only took a month. But everything was different, I used a smaller pot and put it in more direct sunlight here in the house to warm it up. It does not like hot direct sun outside.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Maybe I need to bring mine in since the green house doesn't stay at a steady temperature?

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

I had to bring my brugs in from the garage a little while ago. The temps dropped down to 39 out there. I hope this doesn't do them any harm. The only place I could put them is in the living room and it stays about 68 to 70 in the house.

Am I going to have to keep them in here till spring or when it warms back up out there can I put them back without doing to much harm.

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

We use so much that we keep a jar in the fridge with grated ginger and make like loose tea.
Or you can just boil some slices, strain and sweeten with honey. I like it cold too with lime.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Robyn, my local grower keep hers around 65.
Kim, you must have some Asian in you! We ginger'd almost anything here too! Guess what's going with your seeds??

Mmmmm I wonder. :*)

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

OK...brisket's in the oven, gonna take a nap...enjoy this recipe, Sweet Ones!

Chicken with Lemon Grass
2 tablespoons Oil (for frying)
2 Red chilies, seeded and chopped or you can sub with red bell pepper
2 heaping tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons roasted peanuts, finely chopped
2 tablespoons fish sauce or soy
3 stalks lemon grass, finely sliced
3 Spring onions (scallions), finely sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
half lime, juiced
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Method :
Cut chicken into small serving pieces. Chop through the bones with a sharp knife. (Scream HIYA)
Remove outer tough leaves of the lemon grass and finely slice the tender white part of the base of the stalks ....about 2 inches from base..
Bruise rest of the stalks with your knife's handle.
Mix the chicken with the salt, pepper, lemon grass, garlic and spring onions . Set aside for 20 minutes.
If lemon rind is used instead of lemon grass, shred the thinly peeled rind very finely with a sharp knife.
Heat the frying pan, add oil and when oil is hot, add the chicken mixture.
Stir fry for 4 minutes.
Add chilies and stir fry on medium heat for 10 minutes until chicken is cooked.
Season with sugar, peanuts and pepper. Stir well.
Add fish or soy sauce along with lime juice and toss to distribute evenly. Serve immediately with rice or noodles.
Note: Sometimes I make use of the leftover lime rind too, just peel and julienne it and add to the chicken mixture, along with the lemon grass.

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Oh my, that looks so easy and sounds scruptuous.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

KIm,
That would be a big smile!!!!LOL

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Jaye,Patti said to call her for supper that sounds scrumptious!!!!

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Well, did an 11 pound brisket, butterfly it, and spread with chopped garlic, onions, and an insane amount of chilli powder plus Tony's Creole Seasoning. Close the brisket, rub brown sugar and more Tony's Creole Seasoning then pour Jack Daniels whiskey over it. Let it stand for 2 hours before putting in a 350* oven.
Here it is all done! Anyone hungry?

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Mmmmm!

Thumbnail by heavenscape

Pass the napkins cause I am drooling!! ; ~ p

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

The brisket has a beautiful brown crispy crust and so moist and juicy inside....
C'mon over Patti, you need a box Kim!
It's always Don 'sharing' his stuffs..so here's returning his kindness ;) Lolol!
I know I'd put that bottle of JD to good use!

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Sorry, for drooling on your pic, I'm not getting up to get a napkin, I'll use my shirt. That sounds like it could just melt in your mouth, we love Tony's. I use it for so many things. My daughter loves it all over her spagetti squash and on french fries. I put it with ground chuck for meatloaf or plain old hamburgers. I even put it on eggs in the morning.

Good stuff JD for all kinds of meat.

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

How long in the oven?

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

I don't wait for the oven to get heated up! Put it in, let it roast for about 2 - 3, depending on weight. Turn off the oven and let it sit in it for another hour. Long wait, but worth it!
Actually, someone gifted us with a bottle of JD along with some vintage wines. We don't regift, and I told Kel, one day, I'll use that bottle! Yah, had to supply sister in France her Tony's too! Your daughter's well on her way to be a great foodist!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Pour me 2 fingers deep,and slice the crust off for me,and keep the JD coming,and I'll be right there!!!!!!

Whats for dessert????LOL

Cherry pie anyone???

Thumbnail by kimarj
Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

I'm bringing the desert Don, I made deep dish Apple pie and fried brownies today.

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Or we can do the cherry pie, that looks good.

I do make mine with splenda, will that works you all?

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Don's ideal meal! Lolol!

Thumbnail by heavenscape
Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

OMG, that's so funny.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I'll take one of everything!!!LOL
Heck make it 2 of everything!!!!!

That JD might melt those slim bears if it gets too close!!!LOL

Brownies of ANY kind is my weakness!! bring them on :*)

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Yeah..don't try to pour the JD over the ice-cream and light it up!!!

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

That's why I call this group the Sweet Ones...we just cannot resist any!!!!!!

Oh now I am ROTFLMBO !!!
Slim bear flambe

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks Kim...that's precisely the word I was looking for!
Slim Bear Flambe', M'sier et Madame?
Lololol!!!!!

Tooooo funny ;^)

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I will have one of everything, too! PLEASE! :) that all just looks totally awesome! Don, you have to share, you can't have it all! HA HA HA

Did anyone here hear anything about not letting the threads get more than 100 posts? I heard that Terry had posted something with it being due to messing with the server. I looked for it, but have no clue where it is?

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Jaye...I don't post that much...mainly just read...lol! Thanks for the recipe...sounds wonderful. All the food sounds wonderful and looks good too! Except ginger. I just can't seem to like anything with ginger. I do like ginger ale...ohh and gingerbread...so why don't I like other things with ginger????? I have no idea!
Earlier, when I asked for the recipe, I wasn't ignoring you. I posted that, and hubby said...let's go!!! So I left!

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Seen it one one of the Games' threads. Thought it's for Word Games only....

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Marcy...I do that a lot...be so absorbed here, then real life takes over! No explanations necessary!!!!
Whaddayathink of that Slim Bear Flambe, Kim just coined? Lolol!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I'm not sure, that is just what I had read somewhere?

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Jaye, I like how you typed that out! LOL

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Run....spelling police is here! Lolol...wait, I don't run!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Here is what one of my other DG friends found about the postings:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4259237

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

HA HA HA Yes, but she does it to try and trip me up! HE HE HE

Who called the coppers? :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.