Garden pics

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha Everyone. Posting some pics of some things going on in the garden, hope you enjoy.

Thumbnail by Braveheartsmom

Another

Yet another

One picture totally disapeared - I wonder where I sent it ,LOL

I'll try again!

Things are a little out of hand with the rain we have had this winter...

Shrimp plant that went missing.

Lost another one, and computer going really slow this morning. Going to post this last one until the computer decides to co-operate.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Beautiful pics, Braveheartsmom! What is the almost white groundcover? Also the the blue in the first pic?

Darned if I can remember, will have to look it up...
White stuff is usually green in the shade where it is supposed to grow, this has escaped into the sun and has turned white. It has acually become a major pest for me...

South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

BHM, lovely pictures, thanks for sharing them with us. I really like the layered look you've got going on and wish I could just jump into those photos and relax with a book and a cup of tea!

Marcy, I think the 1st photo is King's Mantle http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/529/
I used to have it, but it seems to have vanished...
I like that white ground cover too!

Cathy

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Took me forever to look at every detail in every photo. Appears that everything has recovered from the earlier flood. 34 days.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Ahhh thank you Cathy! It's all soo pretty, BHM!!!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Jenny...What a wonderful garden!!! i think that vine is a pest too...grows everywhere and if a teeny bit of root is left in a tree....it grows again!

Can't wait to see it in person!!!

Carol

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

me too

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

That ground cover's name starts with an S....let me look it up....also called Goose Foot....mummblemmmmmm aha...SYNGONIUM. When we first came here I thought they were super and got all kinds from the mainland...pink, spotted...now considering nuclear bombs to get rid of them!!!!

I 'think' (therefore I am) that first picture is Thumburgia alata.....also a rampant grower.

And...don't you love that big double hibiscus? Where did you get yours? i was sent one in a trade eons ago and it is one of the VERY best growers here...seldom gets that nasty hibiscus mite everyone else gets with all this water!!!!!

Great garden Jenny!!!!

This message was edited Jan 9, 2008 3:26 PM

This message was edited Jan 9, 2008 3:28 PM

Vieques, PR

Brave,

Do you know the name of the plant labeled "yet another"? I have one just like it, but with purple flowers --same leaves, same flower type, same little yellow seed pods. I had thought it was one of the assorted hybrid hibiscus I bought, but the more I look at it it's too different from the others for that to be an easy conclusion.

JP, aloha! I believe it's a Duranta. Blooms almost non-stop in our climate, pretty thing, but like most of the stuff in the garden it need a short back and sides quite often to keep it within bounds. I think it is also known locally as phesants eye - is that right Carol?

Stumbled across the hibiscus at HD of all places, don't know if it acually has a name (as usual no label), but you are right, nothing much seems to bother it.

Thank you for all your kind comments - you didn't get pictures of the weeds, or the half of the garden that is bare and waiting for the digger to finally turn up to dig the septic!

No need to study pics Christi, you will here in person soon! By the way I just read about the Garden Party - I am so sorry, I know you put your heart and soul into it. There WILL be another time!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Jen, love the pictures. I'll take cuttings, or plants in the spring if you want to divide! Please don't bomb them!!!!!!! LOL!

Aloha Jeanne, you are more than welcome to some goosefoot (thank you Carol for the ID) but be it on your own head, I take no responsibility for the plague it can cause! I believe that it is often grown as a house plant on the mainland.
Thought you might like to see Big Beach. We went there Sunday morning to try to spot whales. We saw some but they were a long way out. The island straight in front is Kahoolawe which was used as bombing practice by the US Navy from the time of the second world war until a few years ago. It was totally devastated, but since it has been given back to the people of Hawaii, crews are going over to replant. They are still finding bombs and other unexploded military stuff even though the government was supposed to have cleaned up before it was handed back. Without the trees on the island there is nothing to catch the rain clouds so it has become very arid. It is a project that Frank and I are very interested in and although we can't, at present, go over to the island for the two week stints required to help with the clean up and planting, we do our bit with helping raise awareness and nursing along some of the native plant material that is needed.
The small island to the right is Molokini. A crescent shaped volcanic vent which has some good snorkeling (you are acually seeing the back side from this angle) Lots of tourist boats go there daily, but few go to the side in the photo which has very deep water and is known locally as a haven for shark!

A straight on picture of Kahoolawe, you can see how dry it is...

I think maybe this is a type of penta

A hibiscus...

I know this as spider lily, may not be the right name. Plenty of bulbs of this if anyone is interested.

This is what happens here if you don't trim for a month. It is one of the entrances to my secret garden, but this is beyond secret!

Sharri, I couldn't resist a brug picture! This is your Cupids Blush..

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

Your pics are amazing :)..so pretty and what is that odd hibiscus?
what is in your secret secret garden? what a lush entrance!!!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

The beauty just takes my breathe. Started to say cannot wait, but guess I will have to. hahahaha 33 more days. I have duranta and penta but afraid they might not come back. Tried to mulch and cover with frost cloth but will just have to wait and see. If they don't come back, I will just buy more and keep in pots so I can move them inside. Still petting the angels. Crossing my fingers that they will bloom this next season.

Aloha kimarj. The hibiscus is "Hibiscus schizopetalus". I don't see too many of them around here but I don't think they are at all rare.
The lushness is due to laziness on my part of not being able to get to pruning for a month! Plants get out of hand very quickly here. I don't mind the overgrown look at all, but I usually keep at least the paths clear because my mother is almost totally blind and it makes it very difficult for her to walk round, even with assistance.

Aloha Christi, I hope you are feeling better today after the big disapointment...
Only 33 days to go hmm? I am never going to have the paths weeded before you come - oh well! You are just going to take it as a wild, out of control garden - this is a typical weedy path that I haven't got to yet. Although I know some folks don't consider vinca weeds they seed like crazy here. Also got wild tomatoes all over the place...

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Vinca is a weed? Not at my house. They sometimes come back in the spring and mostly don't. I just replant the next time. Please don't "weed". We are coming to see YOU. I am certain that you consider weedy would thrill me to death if I could grow it. Vinca is a great filler. always gives color when other things are beginning hide from the extreme heat. Sending back the Landsend swimsuit. Look just as bad in it as the one I already have. As you have said, this is a joyous time and not one to be concerned about my long-gone figure. hahaha. If I wear a mumu and don't take it off until I slip into the water...well, there you have. Can't see me anyway. And who is looking. Going to see Hawai`i. I'm going to Jen's house, I'm going to Jen's house, I'm go...

Lo...Jen everything is rare to me :*)..wish laziness would work on my garden like yours he he he.... it is beautiful.Sounds like a grand time will be had when you all get together.I am new to tropicals so everything is breathtaking. I have no GH but will try some this summer.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Kim, since joining the tropical gardening I discovered that I am misplaced on this planet. Didn't even realize how many tropicals I already had. Really soothes the soul. Many knowledgable people on here that can give really good information. I can't always make it work but I sure do enjoy the journey.

Christi

Tell you what - I am not going to worry about the weeds if you don't worry about the suit! You can go in the sea in anyting you want here - this is not a beautiful body beach area, all very casual and relaxed! If you feel more comfortable you can go in with shorts and a tee, as they say here - no worries!
Got us signed up for a Luau for Valentines night - the old Lahaina Luau - I think it's one of the best. Right on the beach in Lahaina. It starts with warriors blowing shells and the princess coming in by canoe from the sea to the beach at dark. The sound of the shells being blown always gives me goose bumps, or as they say here, chicken skin. They then uncover the imu oven and the feasting and dancing begins...You must make sure to bring plenty of film! I thought it would be a different way for you to spend Valentines with your sweetie!
Gosh, I wish you could all be here!

Christi you are right I am taking cutting off some of my house plants to plant in the garden!!Should be fun to see what happens.Ahhh the Luau sounds so very exotic.....got chicken skin just thinking of it ;~)..I wish we all could be there also.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Sounds like a deal! I believe it is the comic strip "Cathy" where she is always in a dither about her annual swimsuit. You are right. When we go to the Texas coast we don't worry about a suit. Usually take our oldest, crummiest clothes because they will be ruined on the beach anyway. No fashion run-way there. Will drop the rediculous and not worry about anything. Joy...Joy...Joy.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

hahahah. We have always called it "goose bumps" but I do believe that there is little if any difference in "chicken skin".

Tell you what, I am going to persuade Christi and Mike to go up on stage for a hula lesson and I will take photos!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

You should have heard the shout when I read that. We are both feeling ill and thinking it might be just really bad about 7-8 PM on Feb. 14.

LOL! Hope you don't mean that you are really ill now?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.