Tropical Zone Gardening: Garden pics, 1 by Braveheartsmom

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Braveheartsmom

In reply to: Garden pics

Forum: Tropical Zone Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Garden pics
Braveheartsmom wrote:
Aloha Jeanne, you are more than welcome to some goosefoot (thank you Carol for the ID) but be it on your own head, I take no responsibility for the plague it can cause! I believe that it is often grown as a house plant on the mainland.
Thought you might like to see Big Beach. We went there Sunday morning to try to spot whales. We saw some but they were a long way out. The island straight in front is Kahoolawe which was used as bombing practice by the US Navy from the time of the second world war until a few years ago. It was totally devastated, but since it has been given back to the people of Hawaii, crews are going over to replant. They are still finding bombs and other unexploded military stuff even though the government was supposed to have cleaned up before it was handed back. Without the trees on the island there is nothing to catch the rain clouds so it has become very arid. It is a project that Frank and I are very interested in and although we can't, at present, go over to the island for the two week stints required to help with the clean up and planting, we do our bit with helping raise awareness and nursing along some of the native plant material that is needed.
The small island to the right is Molokini. A crescent shaped volcanic vent which has some good snorkeling (you are acually seeing the back side from this angle) Lots of tourist boats go there daily, but few go to the side in the photo which has very deep water and is known locally as a haven for shark!