Garden pics

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

It's in the 30s here so yeah, it's cold!! lol. But the sun is out so I can't complain.

Carol, want to hear your stories!!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

OK... Everyone sitting down, eyes closed, relaxed? Wait...eyes OPEN!!!

The HA (breathe out of your mouth gently, as if to push love out...like a sigh when you see a beautiful flower) is the breath of the 'soul'...the breath passing your spirit from your 'inside'. When breathed into the ear of whom you are greeting with Alo - ha when you touch cheeks, you are passing your love/spirit/soul to that person.... Part of the belief that we are everywhere and in everyone we meet through our "hA"... Somewhere (I can't find it now) I have a wonderful little book about the 'Ha' and how to meditate with it and all that it entails..... So that is what *****Aloha****** is. (I found the book........ Basic exercises are to start with the phrase 'keia "HA" no' which means 'This breath is for.....' and you add the word you want to meditate on..Love, Peace Happiness etc.)

Now...white man arrived on the islands, all covered with clothes and shook hands with eachother. No embracing. No passing of 'Ha'...and the islanders were quite taken aback. So, the white strangers were called "Ha a'ole" (a'ole means NO)...or No Ha (No sprit, No breath, No soul). That then became Haole, which is what a person without Aloha is referred to...these days it can be anyone but usually refers to caucasion).

So...there you have it. Aloha Kakou (Love to us all)

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

See why I love Hawaii??

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

me too!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I just tagged your post Carol, so that I can find these stories anytime I feel the need. Thank you so much!

Yokwe!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

How do you do that?

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Oh boy, Jeanne...the best way to tell you is to send you to this link...I'm still learning myself.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/802588/

One of my friends is a boat captain and she has just come in to the office to tell me that they came across a whale shark out in the ocean this morning. All the crew and most of the passengers went over the side and swam with it for half an hour or so. Quite unusual to see a whale shark in our waters, especially so close in. Ten minutes later a whale and calf came right up to the stern and stayed with the boat for 15 or 20 minutes. She was glowing! She took pictures so I am hoping she will bring them in to show me.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

How COOL Jenny!!!! Whales are so incredibly magnificent!!!!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

That is COOL, Jenny!!!!! Spetacular!!!!!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Wowzers!!!! I would not have been able to leave! I love watching the whales!!!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I can not believe I will see them with my own eyes. I have to be the luckiest lady in the world.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

You are just going to love your trip! I know it, I know it!!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Wish you were going to be there at the same time. But you did get to go to Carol's so all is not lost.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

You won't want to leave, I know....believe me!!!! It's been over 40 yrs since we've been there, but the "ha!!!!" is still there! Does that make me a "No Haole" LOL!
An addiction that lasts forever!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Talk about making memories. Some are definitely big time.

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I leave in about an hour for my cruise. I hope to see nice stuff so I can show interesting pictures and tales, thereby contributing instead of just lurking and commenting.

Aloha.
Sylvain.

Bon Voyage, Sylvain!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

HAHA, Texasgal...I know what you mean!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Carol, your story is my first "Tag".

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha, Yokwe and Sembah sayang mas que muchisimo mas que muchisimo!!
"Sembah Sayang"-'Offering love' in the Malay language.
Jenny thank you so much for the lovely pictures. Your beaches look much better than the beaches down here, in redneck Riviera!! One day, I shall return to Hawai'i, Lord willing.
Shari, the Malays have that "tidak apa" (no problemo) attitude. Very easy going people and hard work is not in their vocabulary. Must be inherited from the Micronesians or is it 'cause they're too close to the equator.
Carol, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah??? Wow!! Rainforest country!!! Lucky you! Will you be staying in a long house? You'll get to meet the Orang Asli (Original Malays). Don't we all just want to accompany her...and Christi.
Tagging this thread!
~Jaye

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

What a journey that would be. Oh, what a dream.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Jaye - thanks for the additional phrase! I can now add another to my collection...so fun. Tidak apa - I think it must be something about island life...or the heat...or just a laid back attitude that is definitley contagious! Thanks again!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

I sure wish it would catch on here! LOL!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

The only place I can even pretend to be laid back is in my own private garden. I just shut the world out.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

me too, Christi! Listening to IZ!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Jaye...Please send me more phrases in Malay...by Dmail...I would love to know them when I go.

Yes...going up to Kota Kinabalu (the state park)...tramping around looking for hoyas, dischidia, orchids...also going to Tenom...are you from there????

Carol

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Shari, come to think of it, there wasn't a word for "stress" in the Malay language. Until, recently, I heard my own siblings back in Singapore how they're all 'stressed' out. Apparently the 21st century has hit them!!
You are so right Shari, that lackadaisical attitude is contagious indeed....like a yawn!

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Sure Carol, be happy to. I'll do a list that will be of use to you. Thank God, they do speak English there, and Anglicized letters and numbers. No way, any could 'gyp' you on prices or being lost with foreign signs!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Jaye and everyone! Here's a little red hibiscus to say "Aloha"!

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha Jeanne! Any woman could tuck a hibiscus behind her ear, and she'd be instantly beautiful!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Agreed! Mahalo!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Jaye, Marshallese either...no word for stress...also, word for hurry is same as word for crazy - I think they are on to something.

Beautiful Hib, Jeanne.

Wowzers...new forum for DG - Language Skills!!!!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Definately....and Thanks! I like it! Thinking of growing more of them!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I love my hibs! Have so many there is always something blooming...they are prone to scale out here though...it is a constant battle.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

We've had some kind of leaf spot on the hardy hibiscus this year! Any suggestions? Is that considered a fungus?

I have a fungucide...I'll have to check it and see if it covers leaf spot. I removed the leaves, trashed them, and pruned it back a ways. It looks better. One has put out new leaves already, and so far OK.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Didjaknow that Tinactin is a good fungicide? you might try it. Also anything for Roses as they seem so fungis prone.....

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Actually I did, but would not have thought of using it on my plants! Who knew!
Excellent idea! Thanks Carol!

Are you about ready for your trip?

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi, everyone.

Hide the sugarless chocolate and the dancing young girls: I'm back. As a matter of fact, I returned yesterday morning. We had a great time. I thought I'd share this picture of Pierre and I (on the right) as we boarded the ship last Sunday.

It's taken in front of a green screen. The ship's photographers then electronically set up the ship's picture against the background. At that rate, we could have been seen standing in front of the Taj Mahal, the Great Wall of China or in front of a house of ill repute in Amsterdam. Ain't technology great?

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

Thumbnail by lourspolaire
TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Agreed Sylvain!
Technology also affords us to be 'bearably' separated from our love ones. Welcome back and looking forward to your pics and narrations!
~~Jaye

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.