Dave's Garden Party

Danvers, MA
There are a total of 590 votes:

Yes- no matter the cost
(60 votes, 10%)
Red dot

Yes, but only if __________ (please tell us what it is)
(281 votes, 47%)
Red dot

I'm sorry, there's no way I could attend
(240 votes, 40%)
Red dot

I don't like this idea at all (please tell us why)
(9 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

I'd love to come as long as it's not too organized! I need plenty of time to visit my friends ya know. LOL I'm not traveling that far to sit in a bunch of lectures and seminars. I've got a * lot * of folks I'll need to hug! Keep the cost down, and I'm marking my spot until I have more info to go on. :-)
~Susan

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

Only if Dave is close to me....TX....hmmm I do have some realtives there. Who am I kiddin? I can't even get Christmas off.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Within 500 miles of Daves would be many, many hundreds of miles beyond where I could manage to attend.

I think the small, regional roundups make a lot more sense. But I hope those of you who can travel that far have a great time.

Redondo Beach, CA(Zone 11)

I would love to attend as long as I have recoved from a back surgery that is yet to be scheduled. Meeting fellow DGs would be great as gardeners are great people. I have only been in TX via the Dallas and Houston airport and would love to see some the vast sites.

Hope to see y'al there!!!

Any city near an airport, with services, gardens, other natural and man made sites.

Being youngish, retired and single is a positive as I love to travel, visiting gardens and other cultural sites!!!

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Love the idea but I'm worried about the cost and I'll have an newborn with me.. That might be an issue depending on who you talk too.. :)

Millbury, MA(Zone 5a)

Would love to, but no. Even if I could manage to put together enough money (that'll happen when the pigs start flying) I'd still have to close down my business for the duration.

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8b)

jasmerr, Bryan is in Brazos county.

Yes, the international MG conference would be what I had in mind, for sure! Talks, demos....the whole nine yards.

For those who are talking about the Mini-conferences:
Please keep in mind that we have many regional roundups throughout the country. Many are very large in size, and do include talks and demos and the like. Those are lots of fun, and I encourage you to go to them.

While Dave has been to a couple of "out of region" RUs, it is not a norm for him. As a family, we do not like Dave traveling all of the time, and we cannot all go as a family. It is a choice that we have made after having put in our "time" traveling for years. I hope you can understand and respect the fact that he just can't travel all of the time.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Yes, depending on my personal affordability. Aggieland would be wonderful, but sure D/FW (or like city with major airline hubs and other ammenities) would be more practible. Plus, tons of things to do for non-interested spouses.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Shucks, I'd do my best to make it. Of course it depends on job and money. But if I could pick up a few DGers on the way, the gas cost could be split and that would help. It's really only a bit over a day's drive. Think positive! :)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I volunteer to help with lcosden's baby!! :-)

Jasper, AR(Zone 7a)

A lot of organizations have national conferences NARGS, CSSA and others, why not Dave? I would love to attend one if it happened, but for me the decision to actually attend would be the same as for any other organization that I belong to. Where is it? How far is it? How much will it cost? What are the activities? Garden tours? nursery tours? Speakers, workshops? Will there be vendors? It would be awesome if the regional groups could take turns "hosting" it. A different locale every year with different things to see and do. Some people would attend every year regardless, but in this way it could possibly be accessible to almost everyone at some time or another.
Tommie

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

This is not easily resolved unless a firm decision is made regarding location & time of year. I do understand the complexities of organizing an event like this - certainly it is not easy.
However, since you've already decided on a "500 mile radius from Dave", that precludes many that live at greater distances.
I would agree with others that it might be a bit easier to have regional gatherings, as
the cost would be mitigated.
Again - many of us cannot make any plans whatsoever without knowing when & where.
The best to you all!

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

I would be interested in going if there were other things that I would like to see - going to MOBOT or the Memphis Botanical Gardens would be great.

West Central, FL(Zone 9b)

I voted I might go IF_____

The weather was not too hot (like the fall) .
I would prefer to have it and stay someplace that is more outdoorsy. A large campground that has decent lodging and camping, recreational activities for spouses and family. Nice hiking trails and shuttle service to a large garden or other cool places to visit. A cruise ship or "Garden cruise" might be fun too.

It seems as tho you guys are thinking of a typical convention with a hotel, meeting rooms etc, but that doesn't appeal to me at this time and I would not go out of my way to attend a typical convention.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

I'm with those who would love to attend & would do their best to get there. But boy I hope the conference cost would be kept low just because in my opinion that would be the biggest mental obstacle to participation.

I can foresee hooking up with those DGers I've gotten close to & pooling expenses, and perhaps we'd have travelers making connections across the country as others opened up their homes along the way to save us hotel costs.

Mantua, OH(Zone 5a)

Sounds like a great idea, but then travel distance is an issue.
Perhaps this convention could be done by planting regions,:
northeast, southeast, southwest, central plains, etc. You would draw people who would have at least the weather
and topography in common......

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I'd love to go. I'd have to leave 2 months ahead as my truck drives slow with travel trailer in tow.

Churubusco, IN(Zone 5b)

Yes, if it was within 100 miles and at a time when I could get off work.

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

It all depends on what is going with how well several famliy and close family members are doing in the "health" department. We have some serious situations going on right now.

Other than that - we would be there at the drop of a hat!

Sharon

This message was edited Jan 8, 2008 8:02 PM

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

If we were going to spend money on a vacation like this it would have to be some place my whole family would enjoy. Sorry, I think I'd rather go back to Belgium! ;o)

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

We would possibly attend a DG conference if it were in our region (West of the Rockies), and would almost definitely attend if it were somewhere in the SF Bay Area.
Travel costs would be too high otherwise.

Amsterdam, NY(Zone 5a)

I'd love to come, especially if it were during a school vacation so the family could join me. It would be nice if it was in a vacation type spot, so they could enjoy themselves. Question: is the 500 miles from the Texas Dave or the Boston Dave?

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, if it was no more than 250 miles from my house. I could probably swing the rest of the costs but with plane fare it wouldnt be an option.
If it is within 500 miles of Dave's, (understandable) then it would be too far from me. To bad Dave doesnt live in Georgia. :)

I might however, be able to offer a place to stay for people traveling through GA.

This message was edited Jan 8, 2008 7:40 PM

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8b)

Sorry, I don't know who "Boston Dave" is.

This would be 500 miles from "The Dave" who lives in TX.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Yes but only if it is held within five hundred miles or slightly more of North Central Pennsylvania. That is the normal five day range for my necessary oxygen tanks.

To fly requires very expensive additional and other equipment to make it possible.

Homestead, FL(Zone 10b)

I would attend if I could afford the costs involved.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

It would be an interesting event to plan a trip around. Timing, cost and cash flow are on the bottom line.

Greensboro, AL

I think it is a great idea. I have been with field trials for over forty years. I have learn to set a date, set a place those who can come will and those who can't won't. Take a lot of pictures and have some to keep notes.

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

I didn't vote because I really don't have an answer I would love to attend but I doubt I will since the location will be to far away and also I think it will be out of my budget. I think it's a great idea and would love to see it happen and who knows I could surprise ya. lol I think there has been lots of great input here and I hope it happens.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Trish...thanks for that explanation that it would be 500 miles from Texas (within....I understand). I definitely prefer NOT the east coast because the airports are so messy and it is so crowded that coming from a long distance away there are all kinds of chances for delays etc.

Carol

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Yes but only if there were cactus and succulent vendors and lectures/workshops.
Thanks!

David

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Trish, I have an idea as to the identity of the "Boston Dave" - the fact that Dave visited Boston (Waltham, Ma?) and was at Kassia's RU in Framingham, MA in Oct. of 2006 may be confusing people who met him there then, or even who heard on the NorthEast Forum that he was there then. Although there are many people named Dave, even many on this site, there is only one DavesGarden Dave, and he lives in Texas with his wife Trish and their children. Hope I helped. xx, Carrie

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

yes, I would come and here are the if's...

I will be flying as my vechile won't make it that far. travelign alone to a strange city can be intimidating, I would like to be assured that once arrivign at the airport in Texas that I can easily get to a cheap, clean, safe motel and to the event and back to the hotel easily without worries.

That there will be other places of interest to see, like others this would have to be a mini vacation and just can't affor d to travel cros s country to just to visit with folks, even though I woudl love to meet everybody.

If it wasn't during growing and selling season. Early months of the year are spent growing and tansplanting crops and sales are all done in a few months after that because of the heat and drought and can't affor d to lose misse d sales. Any time after middle of June to end of August things have quieted down and the rush is over for a little bit and have time to relax.

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

As much as I would love to, I would not be able to attend. Unfortunately, my DH does not share my enthusiasm for gardening and would not go. Since we only have one vehicle which he needs to get to work, that leaves me without transportation. Then there's the distance and cost factor.

If by some miracle I could swing it financially; be able to hitch a ride with another DGer; be able to share a room to cut costs, then I would want to go. Who knows, a lot can happen in a year's time. l think it's a wonderful idea and I hope it comes to fruition for those of you who can participate. Good luck!

JoAnn

somewhere, PA

I would go if the timing were right. It gets awfully busy in the spring. If the
conference could be held in Jan/Feb/Mar I would go. Not if its in Apr/May/June
Fall & Winter months would be OK.

Tam

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

If the "no" answers are important to know about, then I will add mine. Unfortunately, I have responsibilities that have to take preference. But I wish I could be there. Sounds like a fabulous idea.

Tatum, NM(Zone 7a)

Dave,
As a vendor I think this would be interesting, but wonder if spring is the best time. For us it's our busiest season, and for many gardeners it's crunch time. It would be nice to have a venue to meet with our customers, though.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

We appreciate all of your comments, be they yes or no. We desperately want this to happen. With such a huge membership, 340,000+...how can it not?

Jamestown, KY(Zone 6a)

I would want to attend IF it is during my spring break so I can get off from work, IF it is within 8 hours drive from me, IF the lodging is affordable, etc.

Judy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.