Winters still here, having spring memories! (3)

Australia is a big island!:)

Thumbnail by

Plenty of bananas and passionfruit and ...well just about everything
goodnight my friends it's just gone midnight ...stay safe and warm
chrissy

Thumbnail by

82F here ...9th Jan. Hot Summer Night ...

Thumbnail by
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

Beautiful pics!!What a lovely sight first thing in the morning :*)......supposed to be 60* here
today weird weather for sure.I tried to grow that snail vine no luck...gonna try one more time.
Thanks for the pics !!!

Kim

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the great pics Chrissy!! Love all the color! Warm here today....but rainy. Our last day of warm, too, I think! Gonna cool back down to more normal temps for January.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Swaying my hands in the air trying to catch a whiff of all those fragrances,but no luck !!!!LOL
Rained a little off and on lastnite but very cool 36* and real dark and cloudy outside!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Didn't you tell me you grew that snail vine? Would I be able to grow it here...as an annual of course?

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Yes I did,and yes you can,and in my opinion,there is no plant that has a better fragrance than this ones flower.Ask your favorite nursery to get it for you,or at least some seeds and start it early inside,for it takes a long time to come into flower,early September for me here. I'm trying to germinate some of the seeds,I gathered,but the freeze hit before they were completely ready to harvest,and so far no germination as of yet.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Ok...that's what I thought you said. I will check into getting it then.
Raining here and dreary, temps going down!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Finally sunny 42*
Going outside for a while,enjoying the warmth!!!LOL

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Hi all, hope everyone survived the rough weather last night! We had some pretty rough storms, but everything is still in tact!
My son did break his hand. It is what’s called an oblique fracture of the 3rd metacarpal with proximal displacement. He is in what is called a soft cast for now, and will see the Surgeon sometime next week to see if surgery is required.

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Misty, so sorry about your son. Hope surgery won't be required, but that OF3PD sure sounds serious!

Feels like 80* here, warm and super humid.

Chrissy, your garden is beautiful.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

So sorry to hear about your son's hand, Tammy. I hope he won't need surgery on it.
Ok Don...which one did you have? The snail vine...Phaseolus caracalla...or..corkscrew vine...Vigna caracalla? I am thinking it was the corkscrew if it was fragrant, as what I read was the the snail vine isn't fragrant? And it also said they were hard to start from seed too. So I am gonna look for plants.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Not sure have you got that turned around???
Which ever one its fragrant!!!!!!!!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hmmm..don't think so...but let me go look.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Nope! Just google snail vine and you will see. And corkscrew is the fragrant one!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Well on the 4inch pot when I bought mine it said snail vine,and it was very fragrant,and the flower was white and purple and looked like a snail,but I'll ggogle it!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Ok..well...you will have to look through quite a few sites to see that there is a lot of confusion about the two different vines. So now I am not sure what is what? It seems even the experts get them mixed up!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

We cross posted. It looked to me like the snail vine was only blue/purple, whereas the corkscrew turned all the diff colors as well.?

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Looky here
http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s204731.htm

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

I also heard it's the corkscrew that is fragrant. Misty, your name is Tammy??? Oopsy.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hmm maybe it depends on which part of the country your from!!!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

LOL..ok....but that's in Austrailia....Hahahahaa!!! Just teasing you!
I want whatever one is fragrant!! And I want a plant, so I can get it going NOW!!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hahahaha...what did I just say???????

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks everyone!
Don, I feel as though I slept with both eyes and ears open! LOL
I think we have some more bad weather headed our way. I miss the weather we have been having! LOL

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Tammy,its 47* north wind feels a lot colder,like 34* outside Brr cold,but sunny.
They are still saying rain might be changing to snow,so I don't know whats to come,nor do they I think!
Way back north east are having the warm weather now,but at a high cost as those storms we had are now heading there,and lots more to come when ever a cold front meets a warm front!
Never heard of tornadoes in January!!!!
Early March,yes!!!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I just looked and we are down to 39, BRRRRR all over again!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

We got some storms last night but just minor ones. Nothing like the others got.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Beginning to feel like spring when the temps are up and down,and rain and tornadoes appear!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I got so spoiled to the last few days I almost forgot to turn the heat back on in the green house! That would NOT have been good!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

You'll never guess where I found plants of that vine? At Springhill nursery....just about..hmmmm..25 miles from me? I go there every spring!! LOL!! Only bad thing is they don't ship till March!! I am going to call them tomorrow and see if I can get it shipped earlier...but probably not.
Still raining hard here, and lots flood warnings out for surrounding counties...not ours yet. Also tornado watches out til 4 am. Think I will go to bed and hide my head!!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Stay safe, Marcy! I think ours has passed, thank goodness!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Heck 25 miles you could drive and bring lots of goodies home!!!LOL
Nite!!!!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

I like snail vines!!!!! Any kind will do! Fragrant would be nice!

It was very warm here today high 70's I believe. Poured down rain, could hardly see to drive! Fortunately DS was driving! Cool front coming in, then a cold front for the weekend! So confusing!

It is my belief that it will do this thru spring, so might as well get used to it. Take advantage of the warm days, and hibernate on the cold ones!!!!!! Youngest granddaughter will be here again, so good time to make some more S'mores in the fireplace!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Kids sure love those smores!!!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

She mainly likes roasting the marshmellows! But we are "making memories", and it's a fun time to share!

Hope you have gotten rested TM, before you have to go back to work! I'm sure Patti and the plants, and animals appreciated all of the attention!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks
Yes I'm rested and 10lbs heavier!!!LOL

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hey Don...wouldn't it be great if they have this Dave's Garden Party in Wichita?? Several have suggested it.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Yes it would be,or even using Wichita,as the center and pick a location from a 500 mile of radius of Wichita.
Being Texas as the biggest state and probably largest amount of Daves Gardners listed,more than likely will be there,but I do think if the location was in the center somewhere I greater number and variety of gardeners would attend.
Theres only a couple here in the Wichita surroundings that even post on Daves,I just suggested it for the location being a center location for all to attend not necessary for any other reason.
I don't fly,and can't drive to far,I have the problem of falling a sleep at the wheel,believe it not my dad had the same problem,if I'm still or quiet for any length of time I dose off and don't even no its coming!!!!
It has gotten worse the older I get!!!
Patti's health won't let her go anywhere very far,and then theres the animals,no one to take care of them,I'd love to go and meet everyone,but also want to see things I can't see around here.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I agree with a more centralized location, but who asked me! HA HA HA

I have to tell a bit of a funny story, though. When at the ER yesterday I noticed some very POOR looking plants on the filing cabinet and I told the woman she should let me take em home and revive them, but she just laughed and said she agreed, but didn't offer to let me bring em home! LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.