Tropicaholic!

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

Yes I love it!! I was looking at this eary today in one of the catalogs it get soooo huge :*)....maybe I could put it on the roof. LOL

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Oh my goodness, now wouldn't that be a sight to behold! LOL
I never even thought to ask if LApalms has any of this he is needing to get rid of?!

If I had room i would :*) Last year it was the castor bean plant HUGE...but that grows up Gunnera spreads pretty good.Oh well gotta find another " what is she growing now!!" plant he he he.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Well, I want to stand out in the crowd! LOL

You know Tammy I got a basjoo nanner maybe if I feed good it will grow big and make me say WOW.Gunnera will be a show stopper in your garden!!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

You should see my Musa's in the green house now! I left them in the old one with no heat, just a heat lamp, and they are STILL growing! And, there are two of them in there, so may not be any room left come Spring! But, these are hardy here if well mulched and protected, so once they go out in Spring I won't have to worry too much about them anymore! :)
The Gunnera would be my whole back yard! But ask me if I care! LOL
Not really, but would still be a lot!

GH envy here ;~) LOL my nanner is in the ground under leaves and plastic prolly won't get big til next year ...a girl can dream right?

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Which one do you have? Maybe we can trade some once mine are well established if they are different? You just go on and dream, cause it might come true! :)
My new green house even has a table and chairs so we can sit in it and enjoy the plants! :) Although, I would have lots more room for plants if I didn't have that in there! LOL

Along with the basjoo there is double dwarf and a super dwarf..oh I ordered a Chinese yellow banana that can live outside with the basjoo. Tropicals is a good addiction...right? ;^)
You must have a seating area to admire all your beauties!!! Hey you got how many GH's?

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Well now, I think I feel some sweet talking coming on here, Kim! LOL
OH YES, a wonderful addiction!
Right now I have two, which are both on the back deck. In the Spring we are going to tear the first one down and rebuild it and attach the two. But, we will leave the wall up in between so only one part will need heat and the other just for nice weather enjoyment and things that can survive the cold. :) We will be putting a seating area in the other part as well. :)
Then, we are going to build a big one on the back side of the garage/wood shop, which all face the South, which is great! :) See, I have places for my tropicals to live in Missouri! HA HA HA

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

I have a table on my patio that is covered by the canopy that zips up (like a GH) but the table is covered with plants! I had to move the chairs out to the yard so the plants could go there! So when you walk out the back door, all you see is plants, plants, plants!!!!!

I had a small but pretty light pink hibiscus and a red hibiscus in bloom today. So pretty! I came in the house and got side tracked and forgot to go take their pictures before I had to leave. They were those tropicals I got at Lowes before Christmas for a $1.00 each!

Why Tammy what ever do you mean? ;^) he he he. T77 how nice to have hibiscus blooms now and for 1$!!!! Strange how we manage to make room for are pretties...plants,plants,plants. :)
Missouri Tropicals good name for a nursery..mmmmm.

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Good name. If any one has tropical seeds that need new homes I know Tammy and I would love to have them. Tammy would be very good mamma and I will be a very spoiling nana.

I have a few brug seeds or purple people eater datura or papaya.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

OH tropicals for a buck! I am in tropical envy here! Stupid me passed a bunch up for just a few bucks because at the time I had no where to go with them! So sad about that now! And to be having those pretty blooms right now and I don't. :( HA HA HA

Now Kim, shall I spell it out to you?! LOL I want some of yours! Plants that is! LOL

Yes, that is a great name, glad you thought of that cause it is a great name for Robin and I to use! HE HE HE
Grandma Robin and Mommy Tammy-I like that!

Purple people eater datura?! LOL I have several of those seeds, but no papaya.

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Those sound neat I would love to try them. Papaya, yum. Papaya salsa, papaya salad, papaya cool whip pie. I talked DH into getting a dwarf banana after we saw bananas for 59 cents a lb at Wamart. Grilled papaya with pineapple and yellowfin Tuna.

I won the brug seeds in a contest I planted some and have a few extras..no plants yet.Ya'll send me your adress and I will send some.Robyn ya maka me hungry...oh got some canna seed also I they sprouted fast just let me know papaya, brug, canna there yours :)

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Correcting myself here, I have several different datura, but NO purple people eater ones! LOL

I don't think a banana would go bad around here if we had our own that produced that are edible! :)

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Kim, I want all of your bananas! :) But, I don't seem to be having much luck with seeds germinating on Cannas yet. :( Still crossing toes and fingers on the seeds from Tropicman, though!

I use a lot of bananas... out of hand, banana bread, banana cake,smoothies bananas foster cheesecake !!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

YUMMY sounds so good, Kim!

My nanners are pups got them from DG classifieds Dec. The basjoo grew to about 4 feet this summer.Can't wait to get my Chinese yellow corm! Tammy I nicked and soaked the canna seed in H220 then wet a paper towel with it put it in a plastic on my heat mat and Bam thet sprouted same with the papaya.

I think I will have one now :)

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Oh, I see, rub it in! I don't have a heat mat, YET!

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

I will take any that you are willing to part with. Can I send you postage for them?

I used my drill with the grinding wheel and took off a small are of the coating and just stuck them in dirt last year and they took off. They might have been pretty if the horses hadn't stepped on then and broken them off, maybe this year.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I keep telling Shaun to get that Dremmel tool back he loaned out! LOL

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Love my dremel. I use the heck out of them. I buy a new one about every 5 years. I wear them out.

ROTFLMBO!!! I just have a heat mat and a window sill you got how many GH"s :*)
Robyn just Dmail your addy.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I would know if it were here to use! LOL

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

LOL Kim

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks Kim.

Tammy another way you can do it, is to put the seed between two bricks and rub it back and forth just enough to see a little white.

Don't laugh...I used the cats nail clippers.

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

That works too. It's just a little harder to get them things around that seed. Mine kept flying out of my fingers when I tried it that way.

crafty bunch when plants are involved we can be. :^)

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Well I like all the ideas, although I did have to laugh at Kim still! LOL
I used a small pair of nipper pliers on some, but they are hard to hold on to!

This message was edited Jan 10, 2008 9:58 PM

I said no laughing!!
:)

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Hey I'm right there with ya. I did it that way until someone sugested the brick method. Then I remember why not the drill.

I gotta find mines my DH more than likely has it in his tool box.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA :)

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Mine stays on my side of the work bench as he calls it. The dumb bench is 7 foot long and he lets me have a foot of it. But I keep finding all my tools on his side and when I do I take em back then he has a fit cause he can't find them again. I'm no fool I learned to hide them or I would never see them again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.