Tropicaholic!

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

Glad your on the mend..a good laugh always is good for what ail's ya.

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Don't know any vamps. Just garlic eaters.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Might be a boogie monster out there though! LOL

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

So funny. I fixed grilled garlic for dinner, it was yummy.

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

I'm coming to your house the boogie monster isn't in dog house like my DH.

somebody better run!!!

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Alrighty..Amazing Race's on...
Robyn, I love to throw whole pods of garlic in soups...yummy too!
(Better than telling Kel I have a headache!!)

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

He was supposed to mail off an enve Thursday for a swap, He forgot. I did it Sat. so it will be a couple of days late. They just don't ubderstand the stress it causes when our babies aren't taken care of properly.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Had to get Shaun to tell me how you do grilled garlic and it sounds SOOOOOOOOO yummy!
You come here we got LOTS of work to do ya know! LOL

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I am lucky there I guess cause I get Shaun to mail things for me all the time. :)

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

lol. Eating them raw helps out alot too.

Funny!

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

I know, lots of work. Grill them the same way you roast them. Keep the heads as one big piece. I usuall cut the root end off first and put down a small grill piece that I buy at WM for a buck. It's great for small stuff, nothing falls through. I also deep fry garlic.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I just LOVE garlic and would try it just about any way someone wanted to cook it! :)

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Clean garlic, dunk it in beaten egg yolk, then flour, throw in hot grease and season with salt and pepper. Cook to desired tenderness. When I fry garlic, I am usually frying Green tomatoes, cucumber, peppers and okra. So good, I miss summer.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Good thing I ate well earlier or I would be in trouble! LOL
Never did like many fried veggies, and always hated having to harvest okra from our garden! Prickly lil boogers they are!

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Yea but so good eatin.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I donno that I ever tried them, but didn't like the smell either. I do like fried squash and zuchinni if it is made right, though!

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Do the rest like you do those and you gotta meal in itself.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Yukon taters, fried squash or zuchinni, deep fried garlic, yummmmmmmmm!
But, could anyone stand to live with us for a day or two! LOL Might be a good thing, though! HA HA HA

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Don't bother me none.

Tammy sending you a dmail, then I'm hitting the sack.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Okie dokie!

Redondo Beach, CA(Zone 11)

Hi Misty in my father's home state (go Cardinals!)
We drifted onto food but going back to your original question, I believe the 2 most cold hardy palms are the European fan palm (the only palm native to Europe) to I believe minus 10F don't quote me and the "Windmill Palm". These are grown in Washington in the Seattle area and I believe even into Vancouver BC and southern England but these areas are a bit warmer in winter (S. England being almost semi-tropical) than you but I personally would certainly give it a shot. There are some bananas that might survive. When I lived in Orlando, FL on 12/24/89 at 8:00AM we hit 18.7F and the bananas died but they resprouted quickly from the roots or tuber. The cool thing about bananas is that they grow so fast that over summer they will reach full size in a couple months and you would have quite ashow in your yard for awhile. Also, Some Yuccas and the Euphorbia family are exotic looking and like cold and are often mistaken for palms and Cacti.
Hope that helps
-Don
Also, there are some orchids (orchids are found native to 49 of the 50 states) and maybe the mexican reed orchid might be a good one.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Don, I will definitely have to check those out that you mentioned! I love Palms, and was sent some seeds from the wonderful Tropicman, just hoping that they will germinate! He has sent me some other tropical seeds as well! I have some other small 'palms', like a yucca and another I can't remember the name off hand. I have some Musa Basjoo Banana plants that are growing well in the green house right now, and I love em! Also some Cannas growing from the rhizomes, but also trying some seeds with lots of hope! I would love to find some hardy orchids, hardy amaryllis, and any other hardy 'tropical' (looking) plants!
Does your father still keep up with the Cardinals? :)

He may keep up with them but he's like... really dead.
Anyway, I keep up with them, the Dodgers and the Angels. He was also a Browns fan many many years ago. Cardinal fans are very loyal and fill the stadium even during bad seasons, that is cool!
How about I think they're called Gunnera(?) "Dinosaur food" they are sooo exotic and tropical and dramatic looking and then I found out they're not tropical at all. They can be real traffic stoppers! Also what about "pindo" palm-Butia Capitata. I know they take quite a bit of cold. And there are some trop looking ferns that aren't.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Oh I am so sorry, wish I had known! :( Glad to know you still keep up with them, though! Anything that would make someone stop right in their tracks on the street would just tickle me pink!

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Gunnera is really cool, it looks like it should be in Jurassic park. Too bad you can't see it from the street at my house. Its also hardy to our zone Tammy.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Well then I think we just need to have some, don't you Robin? :)
I haven't been able to do much with this puter, so haven't been able to look anything up. Glad you know what he is talking about! :)

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

It is so cool, very exotic looking. I can just see a horse of mine trying to rub up against it or try to eat it.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I am gonna have to see if this thing will let me look that one up at least! :)

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

WOW that is one cool looking plant!!!

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Told ya so. With all the foot traffic on your street I would definiately keep it back away from there and all the kids balls and skateboards.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

LOL If I can ever get one anyway!

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Same here. I am bushed, last night took it out of me. I'm going in and relax in front of the tv and try not to fall asleep. Those storms took out three of my flower bed and everything I wintersowed. I lost some plants and some bulbs too. I also noticed squirrels were out today eating every little one of them they could get their grubby little paws on. Depressing, this winter sucks.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Glad you didn't get hit hard like some others.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

So sorry to hear that, Robin! I haven't assessed the damage here yet, so hope to not find much. Hope things look up for ya soon as I sure know how depressing this is right now!

Gunnera- They are soooo cool.....

Thumbnail by LApalms
Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I really MUST have one, even if it would take up 1/4 or more of my back yard! That is one of the neatest plants I have ever seen!!!

Wooooo WHoooo!! that baby whould swallow my garden LOL.
Fabulous plant.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Isn't that just the most awesome thing you have ever seen, Kim?!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.